New season of pvp

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Rich Homie Quan, Aug 16, 2014.

1. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

And when exactly was playing legends a bad thing? I play legends and actually enjoy it more than the current state of pvp arenas. It seems to be bounds closer to balance than what we have now.
    Try not to knock people who enjoy a break from their character and have fun doing it.
  2. Joykiller Dedicated Player

Um, I love Legends - it's far and away my favorite PvP mode in the game. The fact that you inferred otherwise I think says more about you than me. If you looked at my post (which quoted the previous poster), I was trying to imply that folks not wanting a watered down experience with their own character in Arenas will choose Legends for precisely the reasons you've mentioned - it is and always will be far more balanced.
  3. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

Since we agree legends is closer to balanced, why do you feel like them incorporating this into future pvp is harmful?
    I understand your qualm with SP obtained by DLCs and how it give those subscribing an advantage; only if they spend the time to do so.
    But if someone feels they are having any sort of unfair disadvantages, if they truly support the game, it should encourage them to invest more into it, making their experience that much better right?
    This would most likely be the imbalances people will note. Not putting up a good fight due to them willingly holding themselves back.
    This does not discredit their skill, just a setback that can be prevented.
  4. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

This has been discussed many times in the past and has been disregarded due to the queue time problems it would cause on the lesser populated servers. Allowing scrimmage options to allow people to play with everything if they so choose would be the best option to appease both crowds, but having a balanced environment for arenas is the best for both new players and hardcore PvPers alike.

It isn't curious at all, they're completely different things.

1. Paying to speed up acquisition makes it possible for people who have less time to still play (also addressing your point regarding time being a "currency") but also allows anyone to still acquire everything needed to be on an even playing field with others.
    2. Having to pay means it isn't available to someone who doesn't pay.
    I don't even see how this is hard to understand.
    This is another reason why giving people a set amount of SP is a good idea, it stops people who pay having an advantage (especially with the inclusion of WM innates). Not only this, it makes PvP far easier to get into and to access and is more likely to keep people playing.

I however have yet to see a response at all - let alone an adequate one - regarding you providing me an example of a F2P game which allows players to pay for more powerful items that aren't available to free players which is also successful. If anything, you're the one who's being selective in their arguments.

You can say what you want about me, but everything I have pushed for in legends PvP has been appreciated by a vast majority of the legends community. The most recent DoT changes are an example of this and the game mode is more balanced than it has ever been because of it.

Just because you get offended because I don't let people who don't know what they're talking about get away with it doesn't mean I don't consider their opinions. There's plenty of proof of me reversing or assimilating other people's opinions into my own feedback to the devs, just look at discussions I've had with karasawa or Yallander (not to mention all feedback I provide here is an amalgamation of all of the top players I know). However if someone can't provide any evidence for what they claim, I do the same thing any intelligent person would do - disregard it until proven otherwise.
    • Like x 3
  5. Joykiller Dedicated Player

Because it's redundant. Like you said, we already have a balanced PvP mode where player skill is at a premium. Why make both modes essentially the same? Further, if you're going to eliminate one, and only one, DLC component from Arenas, but keep the others (and I think we can agree Skill Points > HT Mods) what's the point other than to punish those willing to make an investment in their character? It's selective and unfair to those who bought the DLC when it was sold to the community as the opportunity to get a leg up on (or for many without high end skill - get even with) the competition. As a paying customer willing to invest in this game entirely, I feel slighted. Especially since Legends already provides an arena to showcase skill above all else.
    • Like x 1
  6. junglejim New Player

Legends showcases pvp skill but its only half the picture. It doesnt show great trolls heals tanks dps doesnt show single target scalpel loadouts getting you kill when fotm battering ram aoe loadouts are smashing the scorecard. Doesnt show the most skilled group engines. Arenas have never been truly balanced. I dont think they ever will be. However if that day ever comes or we even get close to it ill happily appear on or watch fnl as arena becomes devs chosen game mode. Im on board with any changes that get us there. Itd be astounding to me they showcase legends on fnl through choice. Its an mmo so show the mmo pvp. Legends is a beat em up mini game imo. I might add maybe the best beat em up ive played , street fighter aside b4 anyone gets defensive but it doesnt show dc virgins how role based pvp will work
    • Like x 2
  7. Joykiller Dedicated Player

Skill is only half the picture in Arenas too but many here want it at the forefront. My answer to that request is to play Legends. Your suggesting there is some strategic value and fun with Arenas because of the ability to form groups with various support role compliments. And while I agree that is true, I disagree with eliminating other various components (DLC benefits, gear, Skill Points, trinkets, sodas, etc.) which also add a strategic element/benefit to match play. Will leave it at that.
  8. Lantern Doomblade New Player

Sorry but I don't like this idea. First off we would have to respec our skill points every match. Second this isn't fair to the players who spent t all that time working on their skill points. Imagine just having 50+ skill points ripped from you. Skill points are different than powers because powers are just something you click on and have. Skill points take a long time to get and having them ripped from you is not right.
    • Like x 2
  9. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Why would we have to respec points every match? You'd simply have a seperate PvP allocation for your skillpoints etc.

How is it not fair to players who spent all of that time farming skill points? They can still utilise all of those skill points in PvE or in open world, but in order to keep things balanced for new players it would need to done. Do you realise how long it takes to farm 190 skillpoints? It's just another barrier that will prevent new players from getting into arenas and another reason why legends is still superior as a competitive game mode.
    • Like x 2
  10. Lantern Doomblade New Player

You said it yourself. Do you know how long it takes to get 190 skill points? If you have that many skill points you earned them. I understand them taking Home Turf from arenas. I understand counter roles and most of the other changes. But taking away skill points are a no no. You think that a player that has been playing this game for 2 years should be on the exact same level as someone who just hit level 30 yesterday? The thing that kills me is that instead of rewarding the players who have earned the items they have, the devs and community want these players to have no perks. Of course the game can't take away skill and that's the best advantage. However, the game has a trend of taking things away after players have gotten them. It doesn't make sense for a new player who has spent 50 times less work on gear, skill points, and mods than me to be on the same level. Of ccourse skill should be the number one priority. However stats still should make a difference so that the veterans have something to show for the hard work they put in this game. If the devs see this I want them to think about this.
    • Like x 2
  11. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

how is it an illogical fallacy when the possibility is there and such chances are very much existent in the game today? i gave numerous examples to explain my point, but you continue to deny any of it exist. you keep giving examples of much lower tiers who get dominated in a landslide by max tier players. you would think that's supposed to happen right? it's the same thing if you put two fighters in the ring outside of each others weight class. the fighter of the much more dominant weight class would be assumed to win, but the one of the lower weight class may be more than skilled enough to get around that obstacle (yes, it can happen and has happened). the same exact thing exists in dcuo, but it's a scenario that's soon to be eliminated for the purpose of handing lower tiered players much easier chances for wins. if anything about pvp arenas is imbalanced, it's the queue system, not the way higher tiered players are able to dominate those of lower tiers. if you don't agree with my point of view like i don't agree with yours, fine. but, don't try insulting my intelligence, you're not the philosopher you think you are. especially, when you give non-sensible analogies that lack realism.
  12. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Yes they should, any true PvPer would want that.

Skill should be the main factor in any form of competitive environment, and considering the devs themselves stated they wish to use arenas more in FNL and possibly even SOE Live if they get enough participants then it is the obvious thing to do. Why? It's easier to access and get into.

You can still have plenty of things to work towards in PvP without it giving you an advantage (and let's face it, an experienced player having an advantage over a lesser one shouldn't happen. They should already have the skill advantage). For example, working towards feats for pve/open world and working towards styles are just two examples of what could be implemented that wouldn't disturb balance.

I haven't once stated that vets shouldn't get perks, but they should get perks which don't put them at an advantage over a new player. Give them styles to utilise or another form of benefit which doesn't give them a one up on a new player.

I'm a long term player and I really couldn't care less if I'm put on the same level as a brand new player. Why? Because I advocate competition, balanced PvP naturally breeds better competition and makes PvP more fun for a larger audience. Everyone being on even ground would be more likely to keep new players interested in PvP, and this is highly important if they wish to build any sort of competitive environment around arenas.
    • Like x 3
  13. ChaosInternational New Player

I don't think there is anything the devs can do to increase PvP participation. Anyone who enjoys PvP already participates and anyone wishing to participate will still be discouraged because let's face it, human intelligence trumps artificial intelligence. In order to succeed in PvP, you have to be a bit of a "try hard" as some say.

Considering DCUO has a "unique" combat system, lack of familiarity is enough to put a newbie off. I've tried to get my irl friends to join me on DCUO and PvP but they didn't like the combat system. Touting something as "unique" doesn't make it anything special, just different. DCUO PvP is an acquired taste in that regard.
  14. Lantern Doomblade New Player

Lol you completely overlooked the rest of my post. I agreed with basically everything you said except that if you earn something in the game like skill points it shouldn't just be able to be ripped away from you. People with 190 skill points have probably wasted so much time trying to get feats to improve their pvp experience. Imagine farming 190 skill points and then a dev taking away half of them. It is not fair to the player who has wasted time working on feats. They earned the extra stats by farming skill points which is not easy to do.
  15. Sabigya Steadfast Player

"Imagine a player who spent hours on rotations and their power being nerfed"
    "Imagine a player who spent all his time in PvP and he suddenly cannot use it in PvE anymore"
    "Imagine a player who has spent marks to buy legends, but they were nerfed"
    "Imagine a player who spent time on gear but new gear came out right after that"
    Let me ask you this. How many of the skill points require active skill?. Like speed feats, completing a raid/instance in a special way.
    And how many of them are tedious? Getting full style on something, collections, collecting plans, collecting exobits, beating something a lot of times etc.
    Grinding should not give you an advantage in PvP, Progressing skill should.
    • Like x 1
  16. Lantern Doomblade New Player

I also don't like when people talk about "true" PvPer's. I think a true pvp player is a player that can counter properly but has gear, mods, and skill points to back up his fighting skills.
  17. Lantern Doomblade New Player

Then why is it that not everybody has 190 skill points?
  18. Sabigya Steadfast Player

How did you manage to get that out of my post?.
  19. Lantern Doomblade New Player

And the things you have mentioned aren't the same. Rotations have to deal with powers and weapons. All you have to do is click on a power and boom it's there. That's not as simple as skill points. Also when new gear sets come out, it's not taken away from you.
  20. Lantern Doomblade New Player

You said how many are tedious like skill points are easy to get.