Marvel Cinematic And More News

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

I know right? Like I'm not a huge fan of Star Trek, but I still respect the franchise and whoever who likes it. The DC fans v. the Marvel fans are the ones that really tick me off.
    • Like x 1
  2. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

More of my favorite characters happen to be marvel but I like both dc and marvel. That being said I've think Marvel has done a good job with their franchise while DC has not (although Wonder Woman was epic).
    • Like x 1
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think the fact that Marvel has done so well (even with characters considered obscure) while DC has struggled is one of the things driving a lot of those considered "DC haters." Many of those "haters" may well be fans that just want to see good DC movies to go along with the good Marvel films.

Personally it's very frustrating watching DC struggle while Marvel continues to knock it out of the park, especially when those struggles involve some of their core characters. I grew up watching the DC characters regularly on the various Super Friends shows and thoroughly enjoyed their evolution into the Batman/Superman/Justice League cartoons, so I know they can do the characters justice (no pun intended LOL).
  4. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

I think what's even more frustrating is DC happens to have it better in the animation department than Marvel (movies and I think has had more shows overall) and even for the ones that I "dislike the backstory" (basically all the ones New Fifty Two related) I don't think I've seen one that I've hated or disliked (and both of the Teen Titan ones I immensely enjoyed... it even made me stop hating Damien Wayne, still don't entirely love the character but it stopped me from hating him).

Yet I don't quite understand why folks would think the box figure means "Marvel wins over DC"... I mean frankly no one needed to see the box office to realize that.... and half the problem is DC keeps rushing things instead of setting things up right. Again Wonder Woman is the best thing they've done in an extremely long time (I'd argue that it's probably one of the best films that they've made in DC land) and that's with me actually disliking their variation of Wonder Woman (sorry folks Wonder Girl was the daughter of Zeus, not Wonder Woman... if they wanted to do a play off the animated show and made her Hades daughter I would have been more okay with that than giving her another characters backstory)... the movie overall was amazing regardless of the things I could have "nitpicked to death".
  5. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Yeah your right. DC is rushing way too much.

DC is literally 5 years behind MCU (Iron Man was in 2008, while Man of Steel came in 2013). Doing BVS was a bad idea from the start (although the movie itself wasn't so bad). And Justice League was just too rushed. They need to do the solo films first. Oh, and don't forget the idiot Zack Snyder. I swear to god if I see him behind another DC film again I am going to lose it.
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Box office returns are one of the easiest metrics to use for wins and losses in regards to films. Reviews are another, but they tend to be a little too subjective so while they can be used they can only go so far in the eyes of some. The numbers from box office returns are more along the lines of hard data, and that can be more satisfying in offering proof of some kind. After all, if a movie is doing big box office numbers and more than makes back the money spent to make/market the film, it's going to be looked at as a win for the studio.

Personally I'll look at the box office numbers more as a curiosity but I do refer to them from time to time, usually to back up my own feelings on the film. For example, if someone were to try and knock Black Panther, the fact that it's done HUGE box office numbers and is still getting screenings even with Infinity War's release and the impending home video release to me backs up that the film is good. My own opinion is one thing, but I don't have the resources to give a movie millions to boost/inflate box office numbers so there's a good chance that my opinion is being shared by quite a few people. :D
  7. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

I agree, I think people totally missed or just deliberately ignore the other departments of this so called competition. Just in the animated department both series and movies, Marvel has nothing on DC. Videogames, just the Batman franchise trumps them.

When it comes to the movie department, I just hope people aren't blinded with quantity over quality when it comes to Marvel. They're as much as hit or miss like any other film production company.
    • Like x 1
  8. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Well if you want to be that particular about it, Batman anything beats "almost" anything in relative terms... so kinda of unfair :p. At the end of the day though you are right their have been more DC games in general released than Marvel games and most of them haven't been flops.

I also disagree about the "hit or miss" films with regards to the Marvel comment but that's because I don't consider any of them to be a true miss. They've mostly been thoughtful, always linking back to the big picture, and I haven't disliked any of them. I will grant you several might not be someone's cup of tea but chances are they probably also didn't care about that hero to begin with :p.

At the end of the day the two franchises are really too different to compare. I think the main problem is they need to find a true visionary for the DC cinematic universe and stay with it. I hope (assuming that's what they're going to do) if they end up doing Flashpoint they can actually hit the right vein to fix things.
  9. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

I think "most" of the issues with people disliking the Black Panther movie are due to people either disliking the character outright or the fact some people feel he got his own movie to be "PC". Personally, Black Panther has never been a favorite of mine, never disliked him, he was just a character who existed (although I never liked that they rewrote him to marry Storm, I held that against Marvel, still do... she was far better with several other characters, so maybe you can argue I hold that against him.. but that's a writer problem more then the character itself)... but that doesn't make his movie bad... I did think it was "better" than some of the other marvel films (and I still don't understand folks complaining about it but hey.)
  10. DCUO Post Loyal Player

11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That. Looks. AMAZING!!! SpeciallytheantplayingthefrickingDRUMS!!!!!
  12. DC Urban Committed Player

Black Panther still picking up numbers in the box office. They are predicting it will pass the last jedi & grab that number 9 spot. Meaning Avengers & Panther, two movies released in a short span of one another will be top 10 all time.
  13. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

To me the problem was the by-the-numbers already told a thousand times story. Its almost a trope at this stage. The "rightful heir to the throne" storyline that others have told better. Hell half of us are waiting for GOT to come back to tell that very same story. Just because theres a tiny twist, being that its the badguy who usurps the throne, doesnt make it special or unique. Thats also been told before.

And regarding Marvel movies only being misses because ppl didnt like the heroes, id have to disagree. Ironman 1 was great, 2 and 3 were terrible. Thor 1 was ok-ish but at least had interesting things to expand on, thor 2 I couldnt tell you the plot because it was so bad. This all seems a bit negative and all but they have made good movies, to me it comes down to this:

Good/Great
    Ironman 1
    Avengers
    Thor 1
    GoTG 1
    Cap 2 Winter Soldier
    Antman
    Spiderman Homecoming
    Thor Ragnarok

Bad/Terrible/Lazy Writing
    Ironman 2
    Ironman 3
    Thor 2
    Cap America 1
    Avengers 3-4 days of Ultron
    Black Panther
    GoTG 2
    Cap America: Tiny Group of People War

I always view sequels to films like I do games; I may like the characters but if the story is bad, its just a bad film/game. Obviously this is just a personal opinion ofc and im not saying that this is the definitive take on Marvel films. Some people like Thor 2 somehow. Some dont like Antman like I did. Its cool either way. I just get it when others say they're hit and miss, and am still confounded when people say Marvels had nothing but good movies.
  14. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

So one of your problems is origin stories (which you kind of need to do in most cases, so people aren't lost and are interested) and you're getting mad because they refuse to rewrite history and use the majority of the actual backstory in place.... um okay? For the record (to prevent anyone from bringing it up) the reason they could get away with a "true" origin story of Spider-Man is because it's been done several times (with enough "new technology" that one can say it brings nothing new to the table to just re do it)... although if you really want to get into it Spiderman Homecoming was an origin story in it's own right.

I think your list kind of proves some things fall down to preference, Iron Man 2 was at least well liked (even if parts of it were disastrous) and parts of it actually went into comic book lore (Tony Stark being an alcoholic) and the first Captain America (well and the third one) were enjoyed without much criticism (although their were some "pitfalls" that can happen to many a great/good movie).

I'd go back to defending Black Panther... but the box office does that well enough I think:cool:

I should also clarify (to the last point you made) that I don't think Marvel doesn't have flaws in their films. I think the problem lies in the fact that their movies have never been flops, even the ones that get criticized (or don't get as much love as other ones do) and that kind of is because at the end of the day they have one vision, that isn't getting rushed, to get to the endgame.
  15. DC Urban Committed Player

The bottom list was awesome imo lol. Box office disagrees with a lot of those lol. Like you said, it is all subjective, but you don't place in the top 10 of all-time having poor writing or being terrible. Cap 1 was pretty awesome too, and the Iron-mans. Panther? Still breaking records, enough said...
  16. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

To try to be fair i did read your post, but we gotta snap back to the "mad" comment though lol.
    Can you point out where im getting mad please?
  17. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Mad was probably the wrong term to use, but I highlighted that part in red.

Harsh wouldn't quite fit, maybe just go with upset. I mean if I'm reading things write you didn't like Black Panther (either you watched it and thought it was a flop or you didn't watch it because you thought it was stupid, going with the first one though) because it's a rightful heir to the throne story (than saying Game of Thrones is doing it better).. which has been done before. I suppose it should have been upset instead of mad... maybe that's more accurate.

The problems one gets when running on four hours sleep.
  18. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Understandable. Had a few days like that over the years.

The part I dont understand is why it would be upsetting at all. GOT, King Arthur, The Lion King to name a few are genuine examples of that story being told better. And thats not going back further where theres more examples. Again though, the reason I pointed out that this was just an opinion is because its just an opinion. Personally I hate the "its doing well to be PC" excuse too. Black Lightning is doing well and I havent heard that excuse once. Good is good. Im just looking for what seperates this Film from the ones before it, because to me it seems like a carbon copy. Historically there've been great movies that made no money and terrible films that rake it in, so any arguements of "box office" numbers etc is just null and void to me. Genuinely just interested in why its different and then pointed out why some of us see Marvel as Hit and Miss.
  19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    I figured I provide something to chuckle about
  20. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

My favorites were Cheadle, Holland, Sammy J, and Cabbagepatch's
    • Like x 1