LOBOLOBOLOBOLOBOLOBOLOBO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Bourne4red, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

LOBO is the literal embodiment of just how shallow the comics in the 90's were. A cliche of a cliche of a bunch of cliches. Nothing original about him.

That said, I do like the gear set. I can think of some good uses for some of those styles.
    • Like x 2
  2. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Speaking of the Main Man. ;) ;)
    • Like x 1
  3. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Lobo was created in the 80s... and was tweaked a bit later to reflect the cliche of the 90s.
    But the changes made to Lobo was meant as a parody of the cliche of the 90s.

Lobo ended up being successfull despite being a parody of the 80s/90s cliche. Or maybe because of it?? :eek:

Many people were oblivious that it was a parody and just took the character at face value.

The same thing happened to the Teenage Ninja Turtles which was a parody of the dark and gritty comics at the time.... most specifically the Daredevil comic at the time by Frank Miller. ;) ;)
    But again..... comic fans took the TMNT at face value and it was a HUGE hit. :)
    • Like x 3
  4. Red Batern Well-Known Player

Of all the examples to choose from, Lobo is your example huh? And the 90s brought us some AMAZING comics. Don't you think you're being a little dramatic?
  5. Proxystar #Perception

I know a bunch of people are hyped for Lobo, but I've never shared the fascination. The guys a nobody imo but that's just my opinion.
    • Like x 2
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Not just yours
    • Like x 1
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

People tend to mock the New52 Lame Main, butt the animated version makes the Nu52 manlier than Macho Man (the Village People version, not the Randy Savage :p)
    The Bisley original is only one that matters
    [IMG][IMG]
  8. Attackfrog Active Player

Yeah, if someone wore that s**t now we would assume they have a cognitive disability.

Then again, the graphics and a few of the costume styles in this game are petty outdated....so maybe it fits.

Anyway, I liked him when I was a kid (in the 80's and early 90s lol) but now....he just seems like that old guy at the bar still living in his high school days. Silly.

(But I'll probably buy the styles for the inevitable feats)
  9. velvetsanity Loyal Player

“I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle.” LOL
    • Like x 3
  10. JKwak Well-Known Player

i prefer the amalgam version of him
    omg i want a duck head
    [IMG]
  11. ThunderGunExpress Well-Known Player

I wouldn't say that TMNT was a parody of Frank Miller's Daredevil...more of an homage. Those guys loved what he was doing on Daredevil (as did I).

The first issue read very much like what you were reading in Daredevil...only in black & white and with talking turtles. But their origin was lifted directly from Daredevil's origin; the same radioactive waste goo that blinded Matt Murdock then leaked into the sewers and mutated 4 turtles and a rat. Stick became Splinter. The Hand became the Foot clan. But that first issue was showing lots of love towards Frank Miller, with ninjas in abundance.
    It wasn't the homage or really the comic that the majority of the populace fell in love with. It was the "cartoonification" and the Cowabunga.

Also, remember...this sort of just predates the dark age. This was sort of the catalyst for it.
    There wasn't many comics like Frank Miller's Daredevil out there. Moench & Sienkiewicz' Moon Knight was gaining traction; Claremont & Byrne's X-Men was becoming more and more popular; Moore was doing Miracleman and Swamp Thing over at DC...but things were just starting to sort of happen.
    Then came Baron & Zeck's Punisher, Ronin, and then the Dark Knight & Watchmen and then the glutton.

But that also lead to stuff like Neil Gaiman on Black Orchid and then Sandman (which intoduced me to the wonderful art of Dave McKean) and Grant Morrison on Animal Man and Doom Patrol...which introduced me to those beautiful covers by Simon Bisley (...I already loved Brian Bolland's art).

[IMG]

[IMG]

I was going to say that I don't quite remember if it was Grant Morrison or Simon Bisley's covers that lead me to pick up Doom Patrol...but I'm leaning towards Grant Morrison, because IIRC, the first few issues written by him didn't have Bisley covers and I think I was already reading it by then...but no doubt, I was "ooo"ing and "ah"ing over those covers. There wasn't anything out there quite like them.

That's not Lobo. That's Slaine, the Horned God.
    I believe it predates Bisley's work on Lobo.

Lobo-esque, to be certain...but more swords & sorcery and less abstract; leaning more towards Bisley's Frazetta and Corben influences.
    He's got chops.

[IMG]

Simon Bisley is a big rock 'n rollin' biker kinda dude too, and he looked sort of like both Lobo and Slaine around that time.

Lobo as a character doesn't do a lot for me (though I do like him in the cartoons).
    I picked up those first few mini-series for the Bisley art, and they were pretty fun in their audaciousness.

When I heard a Lobo style was coming, I didn't think it'd really be for me much...I expected pretty much biker gear. But I know there's a bunch of Lobo fans around these parts and that it would be well received.
    That being said...I was wrong. I think it's a great looking style set with lots pieces for options for lots of characters.
    So...Megan? Or whoever is responsible? Very nice work. /bow

For my money, my favorite art by Bisley is when he's not overly abstract or overly realistic (I do love the Frazetta homages, but that's because I love Frazetta). It's somewhere in the middle.
    Which is why I love those Doom Patrol covers...and one of the best inter-company crossovers ever was that first Batman / Judge Dredd crossover. The art was beautiful and the story was a lot of fun.
    Quite possibly the best Batmobile ever in comics too (John Totleben's Batmobile in Swamp Thing is my 2nd favorite I think).
    Bisley Batmobile? Breathtaking.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Da Biz is da Shiz.
    • Like x 3
  12. Bourne4red Well-Known Player

Your first picture is from Sláinè, The Horned God not Lobo but I certainly agree that Bisley is God!

We need to remember that a comic character is only as good as the writer/artist creating it and Alan Grant did re-invent Lobo from Giffen’s original creation as a parody but it was a very good one - The Last Czarnian and the subsequent Paramilitary Christmas Special are totemic as works of immoral, anarchic, psychotic violence and the character is to be enjoyed in that vein.

How Lobo got an ongoing title is a mystery to me and it detracted from his limited appeal. Lobo is not Good or Evil - he is a self-obsessed, psychotic, apathetic force of nature. He killed his entire race for God’s Sake just so he could be unique but then he has this code of honour that he can never break his bond - he’s a contradiction by nature.

But it’s this, allied with his immense power (remember Neron kept him gaoled in the deepest pit of Hell to fuel the place with his rage and was feared by everyone) that makes him a popular character - why else is the Hulk popular?!

His popularity is undoubted, divisional but undoubted. After all, who parody a parody if it wasn’t good (who remembers Bloodwolf)?
    • Like x 1
  13. Bourne4red Well-Known Player

Seconded but I still say TMNT was a parody of Daredevil but was also inspired by that age’s anthropomorphic success ala Sakai’s wonderful Usagi Yojimbo and Critters!
    • Like x 1
  14. Zneeak Devoted Player

I find it hilarious that some people try to take shots at Lobo's "old" biker-look and leather, while some of the same people are still supporting the old spandex, outside underwear-look. :D
    • Like x 2
  15. Megzilla Developer

I'm so glad we got to finally reveal this style set!!! :D Even if Lobo isn't your jam, we got a sleeveless style and some updated jeans.
    • Like x 12
  16. Bourne4red Well-Known Player

It’s certainly sparked some debate but I think unanimously the style is a hit!
    • Like x 1
  17. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Now if only we had a pointy-eared skin with frecklepalooza, I could show off the arm freckles with the Lobo chest :D
    • Like x 2
  18. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

Nope, I think I'm just expressing my opinion on Lobo, because that's how i feel about him. Are you really trying to argue against my personal opinion on the subject? Man, what a drama hound, amirite?

But since you brought it up, comics were SO successful in the 90s they almost totally destroyed the industry with all the cheap gimmicks and "collectors editions" that had so many printings it'll be 200 years before they're worth anything.

P.S. Its pretty funny that you accuse me of being dramatic while attacking me to instigate some kind of fight because I don't like one of your favorite comic book characters.

Personally based on this, and most of your other posts, it looks like you're just trying to MAKE some drama, so you can show us all how much smarter you are than us. (spoiler alert: You are not.)

Have fun with the disappointment a superiority complex lke yours inevitably leads to!
  19. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

Thank you for the history lesson that I lived through in real time.
  20. TroEL Dedicated Player

^ This! 1,000,000x this
    • Like x 1