Craziest idea yet: Content relevancy windows and replays.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Minnion, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Avian Dedicated Player

I try to make sure to run Paradox Wave every week for a chance at the Recovery Kits, I also do Nexus when there are other people who are interested since it can't be solo'd.

The real question here is, is there any reason to run any raids that are out of the relevancy window more than once a week when we only get loot without having to spend money on resetting it that one time per week.

There a lot of of base items I want to farm in the instances of this game but there is no way for me to just sit down and do the same instance over and over again without having to spend money for a chance at getting a vanity item. The only thing I can do is either do the same thing once every day or once every week. Players have to basically make a schedule and follow that to get certain things and it if we stick to base items than just getting one is usually not enough, we need a lot of them and with a low drop rate we'll be at it for a really long time. It gets even worse if there are multipile things we want to farm. During this process players will lose the motivation to stick to the schedule and just stop trying. It's basically having a choir in a game, I don't know about other people but I use games as an escape from things like that.

I also support the suggestion to make this a legendary perk btw.
    • Like x 1
  2. Derio 15000 Post Club

Honestly with this many players running old content. Its a very good question indeed. Obviously if devs were to go with this idea there would be an increase in players running old content. Mostly new players who are at endgame level who dont have what the veterans have.

Stat clamping is still out of the question.

Top reason I dont like running old content is because it ruins the players experience due to CR differential. Before CR differential it wasnt so bad because you werent 1 shotting everything as a support role.

Many say it isnt ruining the new players experience but how can you say that when you arent in their shoes and arent playing the game for the first time. Or when the instance glitches because high level players kill the enemies too fast. New players can always form their own group but we know how fast that can take.

This idea is a nice incentive to run old content again, but at an increased cost of ruining new players experience.
    • Like x 1
  3. Harlequin Devoted Player

Not everyone pisses in the newbies' corn flakes when they queue in. I run support and might even take off some gear when I do that. It's another golden rule thing. I cannot stand it when OP asshats blow everything up before I even see it so I don't do that to other people.

I would still prefer a way to enter those instances alone, though.
    • Like x 3
  4. SSeid Committed Player

For me the answer to that is pretty simple. The game has evolved into having only 2 things to do each month that help your character advance. However most players consider coming online playing for 30-60 min ( at best ) a waste of time.

We need things to do and since they are no longer offered in the form of new instances, new legends characters ( We are still waiting for grodd btw.. any word on that? ), new maps, new mechanics, new anything really.. we inevitably go back to old instances. But playing those instances is not every attractive if you receive nothing. There is only so many times you can go in an alert or raid kill everything and get nothing for it. After a while it does not simply become boring but annoying.

As some people have already mentioned the vast majority of the community is in need of SP. The people that have completed the game or are close to it are very few compared to the ones that get feats by mistake. Giving people the opportunity to get style feats ( Something that almost everyone in game is interested in. ) by extend try for other feats, it gives players a reason to go back. ( wishful thinking here ).

Most importantly it seems like there is no loss for you if such thing is implemented. With a community hellbent of getting everything handed to them, unwilling or uninterested in getting feats.. not a single one of them would ever reset an older irrelevant alert/raid. Give it to them for free and they might develop interest in getting at least the style feats..

But this idea in all its brilliance needs limits and context. If you will invest time in implementing this perhaps you can use it as an advantage for having Legendary Membership. People that are subbed get unlimited access to previous content, premium players get a limited amount and free players.. well personally I don't care.

At the end of the day, this is an issue raised by players that have done that content once ( hence being locked ) and are interested in playing again instead of simply going offline.
    • Like x 1
  5. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Iconic styles like the olden days. A lot of us entrepreneurs would gladly farm an instance for styles that we can profit from.
    • Like x 1
  6. Commander Coral Well-Known Player

If this had been an option way back when I was trying to finish the Mayan style by farming the Catwoman Solo, you wouldn't see me in the real world for days. Unfortunately I gave in and bought the one piece I needed on the Vendor. I would do this for Time Traveler, Traces, and let me tell you: I would farm the you-know-what out of the Courthouse alert to get the Chest style.
    • Like x 1
  7. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

That's exactly the point of the question though. Based on this thread, you'd think mark relevancy was well received and did not impact how often non-relevant content is played, which is pretty contradictory to most of the comments on the subject that I've seen.
  8. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Mark relevancy is perfectly fine. It has zero effect on the amount of 'older' content I run. The only thing that would improve it for me is more choice for base item rewards and making the prestige and merit tokens account bound.
    • Like x 1
  9. Malachee Committed Player

There are an incredible number of players (and sadly, even more former players) who are/were infuriated by "mark relevancy". The vast majority of them will of course not be posting here.
    • Like x 2
  10. TestReporter Loyal Player

I won't say it doesn't impacts me, i used to run older content to upgrade home turf, but that was sometimes and just in t5+ content, if i say having marks in older content will make me run it, i would be lying, i'm at cap marks and i have nothing to spend marks on.
    But thats me and just me, i don't know about the others.
    • Like x 1
  11. Mystere Well-Known Player

One problem... if you are only running for the one rare drop... once you get it you will no longer run the content and thus no longer relevant. Some of the old content is fun and so old that it will feel new if repurposed or stat clamped. I don't think the current version should be stat clamped but release a second stat clamped version that gives marks, exos, rec kits etc. It is an easy way to create more relevant things to do without a lot of cost to the devs.
    • Like x 1
  12. sepiaskidmark Committed Player

Mainly for past elite gear styles. Do you know how frustrating it is to try and go back to collect those elite styles and be forced to do the regular version and replay the elite? This needs to be changed please.
    • Like x 2
  13. Minnion Devoted Player

They don't learn anything from the OP guys doing all of the lifting. It sucks the challenge out of the content(Which is perhaps a contributing factor to new players wanting to get to end game in the first place, because that's where the challenge is and maybe new players actually want a challenge, thus the desire to skip the "easy" content as fast as possible...) You should never be carried when you random queue... (If you're in a league or forming your own group to get carried then that's fine, because in those cases you're using the social functions of the game to actually get a group.)

The point in this post is:
    1. You shouldn't get carried unless you WANT to be carried, in which case you'd need a league or some freinds that are willing to carry, which means forming social bonds that would be less likely to form in your average Pug.
    2. There is the indifferent crowd that doesn't care one way or another... I think they might benefit some from not being carried as they would likely need to learn on their own and be stronger players for it by the time they do get to end game.
    3. Those who don't want to be carried won't have to form their own groups.(Which is good because this is something that many of them won't know how to do, and since LFG is off by default actually contacting other low level players and walking them through the process of forming their own group is often a case of the blind leading the blind.)
  14. tinoman Dedicated Player

You can actually solo Nexus. If you know how. I do it every week. But only works with Sorcery. And I know alot of players that still do old content for the drops and for feats that there not willing to buy. Please make it free and make it where you can que in with just the amount of people you have in your group. Let's say i have a group of 2 players and i wanted 2 que up Black dawn and for instance it would say confirm that you 2 players would like to que by yourselfs into that said content.
  15. Elusian Crowd Control

Every powerset has access to Robot Sidekick therefore every powerset can solo it :D

When I'm bored I go through my char list and solo it with all of them for kits but usually end up getting bored after 1-2 runs XD

With a possible replay removal on out-of-relevancy content I would just hope on my Earth and farm Paradox to death. Sadly by then we won't see teleporters to all instances still so I could finish up styles in operations in one rush <_<
    • Like x 1
  16. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

You do realize people intentionally queue into content at the minimum so they are carried right? It cannot be argued (logically) to allow a carry at the end game, if people are arguing against it earlier on. Maybe due to the early level carries people want to be carried later? That I do not know... however adding a simple feature that puts people with their own cr first would be beneficial for all. That would put suggested cr with suggested cr...on all levels instead of just trying to change it at the start of the game.

Most people that advocate for this seem to forget it impacts the entire game, not just at say level 30.

In some games they have a new players chat so they can find each other easier, and it is enabled at level 1. This could really help out our community.
    • Like x 1
  17. SSeid Committed Player

The premise of the question is wrong. They run it once, hence they are locked and ask for the locks to be removed on content that is no longer relevant so they can play it more than once.

They ask for reasons not to log off, that in itself should be enough.
    • Like x 5
  18. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Oh you are ******* kidding me! Robot sidekick works the same as Fury (and I assume Crystal) in the Nexus split?

God dammit...I guess I'll be re-speccing tonight.
    • Like x 1
  19. Minnion Devoted Player

Personally I think if a group of players of average skill level and are all at minimum entry level cannot progress through an alert/raid/whatever at all then the minimum entry level is too low... (As in entry CR should reflect the bare minimum stats required to beat the content, and "Suggested" CR should be the tipping point where you aren't expected to succeed consistently. If players think that the suggested CR is too low to be able to reasonably beat content then something is seriously wrong...)

I'm premium, and if I can't be expected to be able to progress in content at entry level, then I think that said entry level is too low and should be raised.(And if the Devs are designing content which requires me to be carried to completion on purpose, well then kindly knock it off... I'd like to contribute when running content rather than being a load that needs to be carried because I made the mistake of buying the wrong DLC...)
    • Like x 2
  20. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Just wanted to chime in that I appreciate the discussion and the insights presented here. Definitely filing it away for later consideration.
    • Like x 10