Craziest idea yet: Content relevancy windows and replays.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Minnion, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Super Parrot Level 30

Rare styles.
    *slurps gravy*
    • Like x 1
  2. Minnion Devoted Player

Yeah... Which is why perhaps its best to stick with the original idea of it applying only to content outside one's relevancy window.(And thus likely content most people are done gearing up in/for... With the exception of new players.)

As for veteran players ruining the experience for new players, that is a problem regardless of if they implement my suggested idea or not. Stat clamping the random queues would in theory fix the issue, but so many players are so afraid of not being able to pug old content that they are basically holding themselves hostage; threatening to leave if anything even close to clamping is added or experimented with... (Though I think that could be solved just buy letting players run with any sized group as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum number of players for that content, but then we run into the whole "But the queues need old players to keep them from turning into a ghost town..."

Basically the problem is old players are needed in old content so the new players have someone to play with, but are too powerful for the old content and many are threatening to leave if they are handy-capped for the sake of giving the new players a positive experience.(Some even think that the new players should form their own groups to avoid overpowered players... Like they believe that the new players know how to form their own groups...)

Personally I suspect that most of those against clamping just like winning too much, and/or don't have faith in the communities ability to adapt and actually learn to beat old content without some OP end game player there to bail them out if it's too hard for them to make it through on the first try... (Or don't want to face the reality that the old content would destroy them without anyone to carry them, because that would bruise their ego too much.) Or too impatient to try to explain/learn the actual mechanics of the old content to those who just don't get it and don't want to fail because the team they're pugging with just can't seem to pull it together.
  3. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

To answer your question:
    I've been running t2's and t3's every single day, and that's still happening because I'm missing mayan, Heartshard , Aerial defender. Seraph t1 alerts.

And my toon is cr 111, so he's beyond relevancy for the content he's running.

And There's reasons beyond why I'm running the content:

Besides style feats, there's speed feats, there's iconic, there's even more style drops in t1's that have been parked and not found. (I'm looking at you tech ninja)

Token of merit..
    Exobit clusters.
    • Like x 1
  4. LT Schmitt Committed Player

I run Gotham Court House almost everday looking for the chest piece. I also run Lab HoH L&W every weeks because I like them and people always need someone OP to help them along.

Come on open it up you have the power!!!!
  5. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Removing the loot lock on older content would make the grind for style feats too easy.
    • Like x 1
  6. Mystere Well-Known Player

How about offering stat capped runs of old content for marks, base items, exos, and expert recovery kits? You have tech to stay cap for seasonal why not for old content for the above?
  7. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Yeah, and making it a Legendary perk would make it too easy for Daybreak Games to make money. That's a bad thing, right?
  8. SkullGang Devoted Player

Styles. It's hard enough finding groups for older content but having the loot lock just makes it more of a drag.
  9. Pr0tojay Committed Player

I love this idea. My only problem is with exobit clusters dropping frequently it would drive the prices of bits and mods even further down. When the exobit cluster first came out the bit stacks took a big dip in price. I would hate to see that again. I do not mind seeing the recovery kits drop in price though. That would be a welcome site.
    • Like x 1
  10. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

All this this could be solved by simply adding 'group size optional' walk-ins for all instances.
  11. Tikkun Loyal Player

Good point, they may have to SUB UP just to keep that inventory space! ;)
  12. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

It isn't the fact that veteran players cannot run the content at level. It is the fact the reason they are running it is for that drop they have been chasing for literally years, and don't want to waste the time it takes to do a run that is clamped. There is a huge difference. The drop rates need to be increased so that people don't feel so rushed to get the content completed. If I actually got the drop I was going after I would not care if it took a little extra time to complete. HOWEVER, due to the fact I have been chasing certain pieces for YEARS I want to enter the content and complete it as fast as humanly possible so my time is not wasted not getting the drop yet again.

If it takes triple the time to run at level then my expectation is I get the drop. If this does not occur I would stop running the content completely, if clamped.

I already waste enough time going through at level content slower because my power is ridiculously under powered, why add fuel to that fire.

Every game has issues with having enough people to run earlier content with...it is just the way it is...but this game pushes players to the end game within a week of starting, without much effort. Their desire for replay sales short changes players ability to level with their peers. If players actually stayed at a tier for at least a week, they would get to run the content more than once. Today, leveling a new characters, does not allow a player to play content more than once before being out of relevancy. So the developers have clamped the available content for players to actually play.

Most games make it so players really do not obtain anything beneficial by being in lower level content, beyond farming for some sort of R&D...but this game does by the styles etc.

If there was simply a default setting to make it so players were put with other players of their own relevancy it would be great. In the end game I would love a feature that allowed me to be grouped with suggested cr players instead of allowing me to be placed with minimum level players. The issue does occur for both the lower end players and the end game players.
    • Like x 1
  13. Neidler123 Dedicated Player

Why wouldn't they be interested in playing it?
    Part of the fun of playing this game was getting really strong and going back wrecking older content
  14. LT Schmitt Committed Player

How is running older content with OP toons ruining new players experience? New players want to run end content as soon as possible and it helps them out. If you take times to notice most of the lower toons are in well established leagues and are possibly alts leaving up and the current way allows us to do this quickly and efficiently. For example I took a friend into paradox wave to solo it in 5min just to get him gear to help him level up and help others. So again for the millionth time why is this a bad thing?

Back to the real topic if loot lock was removed from older content it only encourage seasoned players to go back down more often and raise up newer toons. win win
    • Like x 1
  15. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Yeah, of course, that's why I stated in paragraph 2:

I'm well aware that if the devs woke up today and said "hey, let's scrap replay badges", it would do more harm than good because simply put, all eggs have been placed in one basket and there is no plan B, hence the reason why the end game population is suffering so much.

As for TK's point, to be honest, that should be on you. If you want to ruin the game for yourself, then so be it. The developers shouldn't have to protect you from your out of control, excessive compulsion to consume everything as quickly as it comes out. Because by protecting you they've degraded the game.

Besides, I've played episodes recently where I've either completed the entire set of gear within a week OR I've achieved maximum CR via a mix of RNG drops and Vendor gear. So the system isn't exactly working, other than in the cases of pissing people off who are trying to get the best gear but RNG doesn't allow them.

I also disagree that it acts as a gate. That might be the case on the surface, but ultimately if the devs have an issue with you progressing faster than the intended rate, then they shouldn't sell a product which allows you to progress faster than the intended rate.

Bottom line, the only reason the game is in the state it's in is because they realised that players will effectively gamble for a shot at the best gear.
    • Like x 1
  16. VV Dedicated Player

Though I love your idea, the in-game economy will collapse as in the value of rare styles/gear pieces (CC hood, Scarecrow hat etc). That is not something what devs would care about so I can be possible. As for me, I earn money by selling gear. I've spent money on buying gear too but it depends on community as a whole.
  17. Vesper Dedicated Player

The most obvious answer I can think of is not letting the new players see the content at all. Perfect example is League Hall: Lockdown. Every single group I have pugged into in the last 4 weeks, I feel so sorry for the newer, at-level players. These guys are looking around the hall, grabbing the Green point in the first room. Poor saps.

I know I have to BOOK IT to the main room for the fight. Because within 20 seconds of warping into the raid, 3 end-game players are already super-speeded into the room and starting the fight. If the newer players are wicked lucky, they'll make it to the fight before the yellow entrance circle times out.

Usually they aren't lucky.

They stand by a closed door and wait. They might notice the next Blue behind them and go get it. But if the end-gamers are particularly quick, the first boss is down right then, and they miss the second yellow entrance circle.

So they stare at a door for two more minutes while the end-gamers wail on Barda or Mantis. Grab loot, raid over.

And on their way out, the end-gamers call out "You're welcome for the carry" and "Stupid useless noobs" and "Way to get a single point on the scoreboard".

This seems to be a quite ruined experience for newer players.
    • Like x 4
  18. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Pfft, in the eyes of a lot of people in the community, this is fine and those whiny new players should make their own group if they want to experience the raid as it was intended!

And because the devs are terrified of a few unreasonable, mouthy, clueless forum hypocrites, they won't do anything about it :rolleyes:
  19. Van_Gho Committed Player

With all respect due, didn't they already try that Legendary only/subscriber thing in the beginning? How did that fare?
    • Like x 1
  20. Veritech Loyal Player

No offense, but you made it non-relevant.

That's like chopping someone's leg off, and then asking them how often they go for a walk.
    • Like x 3