Why do people hate KDR so much??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LT_Latency, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Drag0

I have never looked at another players stats except when posted on the forums threads. Every player I have ever met in real life that is a stat ***** is a complete loser in real life.
  2. Ryme_Intrinseca

Hmmm...
  3. MonnyMoony

A fine argument - until you factor in that people can and do play support roles.

You can easily have a KDR well below 1 - but be extremely useful to your faction repairing, healing and spotting.

KDR is also far to easy to pad. Spend a few days sitting in the spawn room with a BA rifle and a 12x scope and your KDR will go through the roof. Useful to your faction though?
  4. OldMaster80

Kdr means nothing because it tells nothing about your play style. One cannot compare a pilot farming Sunderers with AI shells when enemy has 30% population and a lone wolf Engineer playing with the Archer.
    Then kdr can just be a measure of how many good medics you have around when you die.
  5. EvilWarLord

KDR means nothing and is a pointless statistic that should be removed PERIOD.
    You can be just as good as keeping people alive and filled with ammo than killing people
  6. Xira

K/d ratio is meaningless in a game where the denominator in that equation is meaningless. You kill them, they respawn, rinse and repeat. Only in the aggregate would a high k/d be meaningful - get 30 guys with 4K/Ds together and you can take a biolab. But I find people who massage their K/Ds are rarely interested in teamwork:D The biggest influence on victory in Planetside is numbers, and after that teamwork.

If it makes you happy, do it. I made myself happy by ramming a valkyrie into galaxies and sundies today. Even killed one!

Hay, where do I sign up? When I made this account, in 2012, score came a LOT slower and I couldn't afford boosts. I'd totes pay to reset it so I could get a good SPM. I still couldn't care less about k/d.
  7. customer548

FPS' are competitive. PS2 is a FPS. PS2 is competitive. Competition needs numbers and stats in order to highlight daily improvement, daily decay and total balance of your actions.

Use those numbers in order to improve or ignore it. The more you'll improve, the more you'll help your team, your Empire.
    Just ignore it if you're happy with your own gameplay. Nobody cares. Really.

KD is more than useful because it gives data about your opponents. It brings data about who to focus, who to ignore, it sums up in a quick way where you are, and who is around you (Recursion). KD helps to anticipate your actions and their effectiveness. It helps you to negate your opponents' skill and actions.

KD is definitly not the most interesting part of PS2...But while reading those "KD means nothing, stats means nothing", i understand in an easy way why so many players seem to be so useless-ineffective in this game. Useless at performing any useful action , at covering their teammates, at using the mini map in order to coordinate actions, at helping to focus a high threat or group... at playing the game in a "bit" clever way.

Have fun in your spawn rooms.
  8. JONNY1992UK

I have to be honest, I'm a person that loves to check out stats and things like that. Although I'm no loser so that's a stupid comment if I've ever read one. 'Lets all paint everyone with the same brush!'

I do consider stats to be important if you would like to develop your skills and also I think it helps to know how good you have been doing. However, KDR isn't the be all and end all and it shouldn't be in PlanetSide 2. That's what I love about this game, It's about Teamwork. Helping and supporting each other rather than being about one person.

I don't think there's a problem with people that like to check their KDR to see how they're doing but it shouldn't be more important to anyone than helping and supporting your own Team. :)
  9. stalkish

LOOK AT POST DATES BEFORE REPLYING
  10. JONNY1992UK

What are you on about?
  11. stalkish

The fact that this thread is 3 years old, and some people are replying to posts of that age as if they are relevant now.
  12. JONNY1992UK

Ah right, I understand but It's still relevant to the people that are still active in these Forums and talking about the Topic though.
  13. stalkish

Not going to play the arguement game with you.

Necroing threads is not the way to do things, for many many many reasons i wont go into.
    Have a good day.
  14. GuhMaster2512

I my opinion, a medic's best tool is their assault rifle. A dead medic is a useless medic. There is no point in going for a revive if the enemy player is still there. They will just kill the medic mid-revive and wait for the player to take their revive and kill them there.
  15. Exitus Acta Probat

16. OldMaster80

We saw the date of this post. I probably replied also 3 years ago in the first pages, but the thread is still relevant. Discussion about KDR is always relevant.
    For instance I believe stats system should show completely different things. The whole directive system being based on kills is completely stupid.
  17. Ziggurat8

The fact that this thread is 3 yrs old and so many people think it is still perfectly relevant is amazing. Look how many people have posted. You not included, but thanks for bumping it back to the first page!
  18. Chubzdoomer

KDR is still shown on the scoreboard, so it's still as relevant as ever. It should've been completely removed from the game a long, long time ago.
  19. ColonelChingles

The problem is that KDR-oriented people and victory-oriented people can have conflicting goals.

For example, say you have two players. One is a KDR die hard. The other really wants to win Alerts. The determining base fight in the Alert depends on doing a series of unsupported Galaxy drops on an enemy base in hopes of destroying the Hive and preventing the enemy from claiming victory.

The player who wants to win the Alert would be all for it. After all, anything to win the Alert, to have their factions colours sprawled over the map, to engage in /yell comments and a fireworks display at the warpgate afterwards. To this player, victory is the only thing that matters.

The player who cares about KDR, on the other hand, would be reluctant to join. Knocking out that Hive would likely lower their KDR. It could also be an undefended base with few enemy players to kill, all in exchange for a suicide death when the Hive exploded. The player could instead be at another, more advantageous but less strategically significant fight, racking up kills. To this player, KDR is the only thing that matters.

Now these two players are platoon leaders. The victory-oriented player is trying to get the KDR player's platoon to come and help them win the Alert; without sufficient numbers hitting the base, the Alert is lost. But the KDR-oriented player is mostly concerned with finding "good fights" for their platoon, so refuses to participate. This causes their faction to lose the Alert, leading to bad feelings between the two.

So caring about KDR isn't just a personal thing... it can affect behaviours which in turn can affect your entire faction. But to some players that's "none of their business" in the first place, which leads to this conflict.

Just imagine a basketball team where some players want to win (though teamwork and sacrifice) and other players just want to maximize their personal scores. It would naturally lead to conflict within the team.
  20. Conro

If you look at entirety of a person's stats you get a pretty decent picture of how they play. It may not be perfect but it's a good start.