Why do people hate KDR so much??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LT_Latency, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Nenarch

Analyze me aswell.. I don't like KDR, but hell K/D is the only standard even with this medic ******** now.

If they decide to make it that bad, they might aswell remove the whole K/D. I don't want to play my game by adjusting my positioning and gameplay to the fact do I have a medic or not. Not to mention asking for rezzes in Teamspeak.. Nice clutter of **** when some new guys die all over the place and then start asking rezzes.. Every evening same stuff from now on, could u pick me up / rez me.. here and there.. Getting tired and annoyed.
  2. LT_Latency

oh well the stat is dead now.

I died like 25 times in one battle and only got like 2 deaths. No point anymore.
  3. Tristan

Congrats. Your stats, especially combined together, show that you're a useful player. More useful than I am.
  4. CptFirelord

I don't think you seem to understand anything I just said. You asked him, in a smug sounding tone, who had the most kills with the Solstice. So I checked your kill total, and seeing it less than 6k I could easily assume it wasn't you. Do your homework chump, I do.
  5. CptFirelord

With the way Planetside is lain out now, yeah.. in PS1 you didn't have much of that problem due to all the neat things you could do to piss them off, cut them off, etc.
  6. Sunderer

7. Tristan

It was an inside joke, you ****, based on something he said earlier on whatsapp.
  8. zappy

k/d ratio should be private.

As people have said in this thread k/d in this game and other FPS has been used as a way to determine skill and who is allowed to post their opinions on game balance. e.g If you don't have a 1.5+ k/d then you have no right to say what is OP/UP and you should **** and L2P

This was the same issue in BF3 and IT DID effect the way people played and how they spoke to each other on the forums.

but my bet is SOE like DICE will want to make money out of the vain people who will pay to reset their stats.
  9. DogPack

I think I'd be OK with a K/D stat in this game if:

1) The only objective was to kill enemies
    2) It was every man for himself
    3) We all spawned as the same class or vehicle
    4) We all had access to the same weapons.

Only then would the stat be a true measurement of our skill compared to one another.

Most people who defend K/D probably have a higher than average ratio- and have likely achieved (a large portion of it) it using tools that give them statistical a advantage over their victims; HE shells onto a spawn building, Liberator with Air Superiority, KA5 Max with pocket engineers in a Biolab, etc. Ironically, it's the people with high K/D who should be agreeing that it's a trash stat in this particular game if they are truly a competitive gamer that craves an evenly matched opponent.

Let's put a guy with a 3-5 K/D that has 10,000 HE Prowler kills and 1000 pump action shotgun kills, who spouts off about learning to play into a room with a guy that has a 1 K/D, doesn't use a vehicle but has over 2,000 with an LC3.

Give them both a CARV, and see who wins
  10. LT_Latency

It no suppose to be a true measure of skill it just a stat.
  11. Sock

You didn't do your homework, maybe you should check the stats of the person he was replying to.
  12. CrashB111

Might want to throttle that one back a little bit, I will sit outside a base while we cap it inside my Prowler Deployed and waiting for anything to come in since I primarily play with my Tank and become a lot less effective when I lose it.

Not everyone sitting in a vehicle is doing it for K/D reasons, some of us are actually drivers by trade.
  13. Tristan

Don't worry, dude. Anything that gives you an advantage over 'straight up infantry all the time, but only with underpowered weapons' means you're a giant killwhore and contribute nothing. It's okay.

Edit: Also, actually killing the enemy more times than you die is a bad thing too!
  14. Jaeger TR player

I am completely baffled that there are people who look down on being revived like it's a bad thing. Why would you release to a spawnpoint when you have a revive as an option?

In a coordinated squad, I expect my heavy to step thru a door into overwhelming enemy fire to be able to throw his concussion grenade. Or a Flash grenade on a Light Assault. It is expected that person will die, but I would ask it of them because the rest of the squad will crash into that position and the medic will pick up that heavy/LA.

If that heavy/LA refused to do so because he didn't want people to think he sucked due to bad K/D, I'd kick that player out of the squad and point him to the nearest headless zerg.

Someone made a character and got a 50 K/D ratio by shooting from the spawn room and redeploying when the base was lost. How is that in any way meaningful?
  15. CrashB111

I know you are probably being sarcastic with this post, but tanks haven't had a "straight up advantage" over infantry in ages. I die more often to C4 bombers, AV turrets and HA ESRL than I do enemy vehicles.
  16. Tristan

Tell that to the guy who is dying over and over again trying to C4 tanks.

I know you're right. Others don't because they can't adapt.
  17. DogPack

I agree with you. Unfortunately there are quite a bit of vocal people who use it as a measure of how qualified someone is to offer an opinion or suggestion on various game mechanics.

I don't have a problem with it personally, I would prefer it be private though.

Not because I'm ashamed of mine, I don't really pay much attention to it. But I think that there are a lot of people who use various "farming" tactics to inflate the stat.

I really only pull vehicles to move from base to base, I prefer infantry and lone wolf play. And in the spirit of the game, I still charge out of the spawn room until the bitter end. If i picked battles (or joined an outfit or squad) where the odds were in the VS's favor, or used a tank more often, I'm certain that I'd actually have an above average K/D.

It basically comes down to the fact that this is a way for people to brag, or feel good about themselves, or whatever. I'm not really sure, but what I'm certain of is that it does have a somewhat negative effect on the game, in causing spawn camping, camping from the spawn and stat oriented "professionals" redeploying rather than risking a few 1:0, 0:1 streaks to defend a base.

It also causes people like myself, who might actually have some solid and constructive opinions and perspectives for people with questions to be silenced by the "L2P Prowler farmer".

If any of that makes sense.
  18. AssaultPig

people don't like KDR because it's a poor measure of ingame effectiveness.

I can pretty easily go 10:1 or better in my lightning as long as I'm careful, but if I'm taking that little personal risk I'm probably not actually contributing much to my faction taking or defending bases. Or I could play infantry engineer, doing stuff like dropping ammo and repairing MAXes. I might only manage my average 1.3:1 or so doing that, but I'm contributing more to the group offense than I would be as some lightning farming infantry from distance. If you die six times trying to C4 an enemy AMS you're doing something valuable, but your KDR would be a lot better if you just found a good vantage and farmed people as they spawn. And so on.

This ultimately doesn't really matter of course, people can do what they want. But people do look at stuff like K/D or score/min stats with specific weapons and make claims about balance based on them, or purchase stuff based on them, or whatever. Stats do influence people's behavior, and that's not even considering the dumb trolling that takes place vis a vis K/D (which is easily ignored, but still.)

Score/min is a slightly better performance metric but isn't practically useful since it's not normalized for boosts and alerts and so on.
  19. Metcal

"Why do people hate KDR so much??"
    I think for the most part the root cause is Intolerance

It can be and is inappropriately used as an attack weapon from both sides of town.
    However, removal is an attempt at manipulation of behavior.
    This will not make everyone a human bot magically playing the way that some want everyone to play.
    Limiting collapses on the center, be it data/stats or gameplay options of enjoyment.
    Look or don't, real or rubber bullet, value or not, the choice really is and should be up to the individual.

It is a combined arms game inherently rich in strategic gameplay options all having intrinsic value.
    When the game hits a good balance point there will be less hate and more tolerance.

Kinda high on a horse here but, meh.
  20. IronWarrior

K/D means how many players you are killing before you die, so if a high K/D player is killing more enemy then a low K/D player, what does that mean? (Let's forgot about stat padders)

It's not rocket science to understand why K/D is the best value to judge a player by but it shouldn't be the only score to judge a player, infantry accuracy and general score are just as good and all three should be used to judge a player.
    • Up x 1