Why do people hate KDR so much??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LT_Latency, Jun 21, 2013.

1. maxkeiser

If people don't want to look at kdr just don't look at it. Quite simple.
  2. gman197002

I honestly don't care about the people who look at KDR. You cant take over bases just by killing people. You can't get VP just by killing people. If I get killed by a farmer, I will just spawn somewhere more useful. If they are camping in the spawn room, I will just wait the timer out. If they want to chase a useless number, let them do that, as in order to do it effectively they just have to do it in an unimportant area of the map. Otherwise it's usually a legitimate part of the battle (although there are examples otherwise). I'm really bad at this game, I know this, but I have so much fun playing it. It doesn't matter how many times I have to run in. If you instead want to focus on a number and feel some sense of self-worth instead of playing it the way it was meant to be played: In a giant battle over territories, I'm not going to complain. I'm just saying, I think you're missing the point.
  3. Taemien

The ones who don't care, don't. You seriously just told everyone here there's 12 inches in a foot.

Congrats.
  4. Ryme_Intrinseca

Who's the more effective combatant, the 2KDR guy that kills 60 enemy in an hour and dies 30 times or the 3KDR guy that kills 30 guys and dies 10 times?

Don't get me wrong, KDR is relevant but I'd put it below KPM. SPM is also relevant for more support-orientated roles. Accuracy is pretty irrelevant - high accuracy but low KDR and KPM would just mean that the player is especially bad at non-accuracy skills like movement and situational awareness. So I'd say:

KPM>KDR=SPM>>Accuracy
  5. D4rk50ul

Gamers are competitive by nature and since not much in planetside can show "how good they are" in their eyes KDR is the benchmark.

It is a flawed Stat though, score per minute is probably a better indicator but even that depends on what you do. Some of us will literally defend a minor flank to ensure we keep territory with very little score potential while others spam pods at the crown.

In the end its only important to people who need to feel better than others.
    • Up x 1
  6. Azawarau

Its an unimportant stat and people who think so are dumb

Equally though,

People who think its inherently bad or toxic are also dumb
  7. KoRneY

KDR is one of many goals that I go for as a player striving to improve.
  8. Daigons

Maybe it's fun to wreck an opponent's KDR?
  9. AxiomInsanity87

I'd be interested to see what you make of mine http://ps4eu.ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=terranaxiom&show=statistics It's worth noting that I afk a lot rather than log off, sometimes until i get logged out for inactivity. I do not play by stats other than tower farming with claymores for lols or trying to suicide bomb rooms with claymores lol.

I play with outfit members 9/10 and we pull and do a lot of stuff.
  10. AxiomInsanity87

My personal opinion is that k/d doesn't matter until br50. If it's not at least a 1 by then, then player X Isn't learning and is still dying loads due to it, meaning they're spending too much time dying and respawning to be of much use beyond zerging with randoms.
  11. Ziggurat8

Interesting you responded to a post over 3 yrs old. Where did you even find this gem?

What's even more interesting? SPM has been normalized along the way. What's kind of funny. Absolutely everything in this thread is still true and relevant to the game. Nothing about KDR has changed, you still have farmers bragging about skill, you still have repair sundy drivers with negative KDR.

One really fantastic change that doesn't get tracked on any stat board? The Outfit with the highest score contribution to a base capture gets thier name and logo on the base. Kills count towards it, revives, repairs, ams spawns, assist points...everything

Show me that stat somewhere prominent and I will show you truly the death of KDR. [Abys] has 24 base captures per day with an average score of 99,456 per cap. How ducking awesome would that be to have on your character stats?

Maybe expand on that and have bases lost factored in too. So when an outfit takes a base it is theirs to lose as well.

Wow. That should be in the game.
    • Up x 1
  12. Taemien

To those that do stupid things to preserve it.. absolutely. My favorite method is EMPing the spawnroom. Prevents redeploys and obscures the minimap and the timer on it. So they don't know how much time is left before the sh-tstorm that comes in when the base flips, and they have no way to avoid it.

Grenade Bandoleer ensures I get to lock someone down for nearly a minute.
    • Up x 1
  13. PlanetBound

Everyone has their own goal. KDR, ghostcapping, exploring the map, hacking terminals, flying, map dominance,etc.
  14. Sil4ntChaozz

Just going to casually point out this thread is a little over three years old and leave popcorn in case it picks up.

But...... since I'm here I'll weigh my humbly biased opinion. I don't think I care about KDR because
    1) I know i suck
    2) It's just another thing people use to chest pound and look down on others (not all) cause 'me stats better then yours/my virtual weewee is bigger AND better then yours'
    3) If all of my stats were good would i still not care? Hopefully. I'd hate to say f'ck you to everyone who's stats aren't impeccable.

No not everyone whse awesome is a word that rhymes with Rick but looking for good players that are good people :)D) is like needle in a haystack.

TLDR It's the internet, where irrelevant **** becomes a matter of live or death cause reasons. :p
  15. Ximaster

I know some people here that laugh at me caused my K/D ratio was under 1.0 at my starts...they wasnt never noobs...
  16. lynx123

panama jack started this crap off in tribes with his scripts to track kdr. you couldnt have picked a worse game to track as it was faster to suicide and respawn at base than travel back. the only guys in my tribe that actually used the tracker were dedicated base rapers who would do nothing but spawn get to base and deny opposition all assets.

then every dev and his dog thought it was great to add acheivments etc. not make real games, only mediocre people adding mediocre crap to an already proven platform. meh.
  17. Moridin6

this^
    but also This
  18. FieldMarshall

Most people i talk to care about KDR but they are afraid to say it because of the ridicule and hate they would get.
    People who dont like KDR seem to be extremely vocal (and sometimes toxic) about it.
    • Up x 1
  19. lynx123

because it had no place in a place like tribes - main goals deny the opposite teams their assets(optional) and get the flag home at any cost. it's spread from there and pidgeon holed and moulded games ever since. it's turned players into zombies who can't think for themselves (i see it in planetside everyday) all they think about is kill kill kill, dumbasses tbh. sometimes it's best to leave something up - sometimes. dumbasses funnel opposing players that are wasting their time to a place where it's totally unhelpful to their own side just because all they know is how to kill stuff.
  20. TheFlamingLemon

Stats are pretty useless in planetside. Anyone can get good stats with the right class and equipment. Statistics are often less indicative of how well one plays, and show simply how one plays.