[Vehicle] When are the promised infantry AV nerfs coming?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ColonelChingles, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColonelChingles

Huh. You know... it's entirely possible that got fired for not fulfilling their promise in a timely manner?

Doing something stupid like nerfing vehicles and then not nerfing infantry for 6 months.

Because not carrying out promises does tend to piss people off. Or the entire favoring infantry over all else thing instead of making a true combined arms game.

I mean that's the major failure point of PS2 if anything. That they've taken what should be a massive war game and turned it into a series of instanced infantry-focused death matches. Just think about all the major problems with this game. Redeployside. Population imbalances. Lack of faction coordination.

We have all these problems precisely because they tried to cater this game to infantry players who didn't want to be bothered with tactics and strategy. Infantry players who could never appreciate the depth and complexity that Planetside was supposed to achieve. Infantry players who just wanted to clamber all over a base, shoot other infantry, and then instantly teleport to the next base when it was all over.

The reason for the failure of PS2 is that it failed to be unique. Oh sure it sounds good on paper, but really because of all the above problems it was no different from other FPS games on the market like Battlefield or Call of Duty. You might as well just have surrounded each base in a box and let people go through a magical door to get to the next "match".

This is why the PS2 player base bleeds new players so much, because it's trying to beat BF and CoD at it's own game. You just can't do that and expect to convince drooling Neanderthals that PS2 is the better game.

So PS2 lost most of the players who wanted some sort of unique combined arms experience, one that no other game offers.

And PS2 can't retain the 12 year olds who just want to "run and gun" because as soon as the next BF or CoD comes out with shinier graphics then they'll be gone.

That is why PS2 failed. Because for the last... year at least it's been catering to infantry players. Nerfing infantry AV options would turn around the game, because it's clear that being infantry-focused has been a total failure.
    • Up x 3
  2. CriticalThinker

Yeah man, Infantry AV is so overpowered, you never see like 20 tanks at a single point base.

Oh wait, you see that all the time, because vehicles are OP and can be pulled on a whim thanks to the token resource system we have in place.

Do you realize how idiotic you sound when you say things like "They nerfed vehicle AI, now they should nerf infantry too!"? I've tried to lead you to this like 3x now but I guess it's true what they say about donkeys. Or *****, for that matter.

The failure of PS2 is the proliferation of vehicles. If you step outside of your farmmobile for 2 seconds and get out on the net and see what people actually say about this game, the biggest complaints are a) population issues and b) vehicles spam. If you want to play in tanks and just do tank stuff and ONLY do tank stuff, there are games for this. PS2 is, as you said, a COMBINED arms game.

Also I laughed really hard when you said "12 year olds who just want to run and gun"... meanwhile you're advocating for the lowest common denominator gameplay PS2 has to offer. I DRIVE TANKZ. I DRIVE TO BASE. LEFT MOUZ BUTTAN. LEFT MOUZ BUTTAN. THE CERTZ MAN, I FARM DEM SHOOT PLANETMANZ.
    • Up x 1
  3. ColonelChingles

What's wrong with it? We were promised such a thing by the Devs, and I want them to honor the second half of the promise. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

If someone said to you, "hey I'm going to take $5 from you, but don't worry because tomorrow I'll give you the $5 back plus interest", would you be considered "idiotic" if you were upset that you never got your money back as promised?

Oh, I love it when people fall into this trap. And the dumb ones always do.

I... AM... PRIMARILY... AN... INFANTRY... PLAYER.

I know everything that infantrymen go through, because I am primarily an infantry player. You are far more likely to find me on foot than in a tank. I know all this stuff, have lived through it, and I can deal with it. Out of my last 100 or so deaths, I have died to a tank... 8 times. Once was when a friendly Lightning ran me over. 6 were to AP weapons, which of course have next to no splash.

Only really once out of 100 deaths was caused to a "spamming" tank, which was a Lightning Viper. One. Out of 100. About 1%.

On the other hand I was killed twice by hand grenades... which is about double my deaths from explosive tank rounds.

So really.. you have to be really bad at this game if you regularly die to a tank. Like really absolutely terrible. You pretty much have to feed tank kills in order for them to get a shot at you.

If you do find yourself dying to tanks as infantry... you really need to reconsider your tactics.
  4. CriticalThinker

As other people already pointed out to you (again, that comment about leading an *** to water...), the Devs never promised anything. They simply stated things they were considering and some goals they had in mind. And those Devs? They're all gone now bro. Like reread that line a few dozen times so it sinks in. The devs who "promised" you something are all fired or resigned. The devs who "promised" you something are all fired or resigned. The devs who "promised" you something are all fired or resigned. The devs who "promised" you something are all fired or resigned. The devs who "promised" you something are all fired or resigned. The devs who "promised" you something are all fired or resigned.

So when are you going to get what you were "promised"? Don't hold your breath.

Well actually in your case, do.

The rest of your post is "my life story" drivel that I'm not interested in.
    • Up x 2
  5. ColonelChingles

A promise is a promise. I expect that promise to be kept, or that what I gave up on my end of the promise to be returned (with interest).

The successor to the previous Devs are still accountable for the past actions of the previous Devs, because they have inherited the game from them along with the changes that were half made.

If PS2 just started over from scratch, then you might have a point. But because the program is still in action, then the promises made are still good. Until they repudiate the entire thing, infantry AV must be nerfed in accordance with the balancing scheme.

*accuses other person of never playing infantry and therefore they aren't familiar with the problem*
    *is proven wrong that the other person actually primarily plays infantry and that tanks are quite harmless to infantry*

"Oh that's completely irrelevant"
    :rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  6. CriticalThinker

Dude, are you seriously mentally handicapped? A promise was never made.

You sound like a little child saying stuff like that.

Lol no they're not, what ******* planet are you from? Hahahaha omg.

Yeah... this does not actually support your assertion that they are "accountable".

Why, cuz little "ColonelChingles" on the Forums said so? Bwahahahaha, keep dreamin' kid.
    • Up x 1
  7. ColonelChingles

Huh. A promise... that almost might be... a legal definition or something. Maybe something like:

A written or oral declaration given in exchange for something of value that binds the maker to do, or forbear from, a certain specific act and gives to the person to whom the declaration is made the right to expect and enforce performance or forbearance. An undertaking that something will or will not occur. It is a manifestation of intent to act, or refrain from acting, in a certain manner.

So was a promise made?

1) Was there a written declaration? Yes. Posted in the forums, as quoted in the first post of this thread.
    2) Was there an exchange made for something of value? Yes. Vehicle AI capabilities were nerfed.

Therefore vehicle users have the right to expect and enforce performance (in this case the nerfing of infantry AV weapons). Sounds like quite the promise to me!

For someone named "Critical Thinker"... it is certainly amusing.

If you go to a bank and make a deposit with the promise of accruing certain interest, you have been given a promise of interest. When you go back the next time and discover that the bank fired the teller, the bank would be absolutely wrong to backtrack on their previous promise and refuse to return your money (not to mention the interest).

A change of staff does not negate promises. If the staff was unable to carry out the promise for whatever reason, at the very least the fair thing to do would be to return the deposit. And I'd be okay with that, if instead of nerfing infantry AV the Devs said, "Oh, doesn't look like such a good idea after all" and just buffed vehicle AI to pre-August 5 levels.

Either way is a fair solution.

So long as vehicle AI options remain nerfed as part of the promise, then infantry AV nerfs must follow. If A, then B. If not A, then not B.
    • Up x 2
  8. Adamtm

It is my personal experience that people that use names like "logicalperson" behave nothing like the name would suggest.
    And they keep proving it over and over.
    Its fantastic.
    • Up x 1
  9. CriticalThinker

You can always tell someone is at the end of the rope when they break out the dictionary. Saying "in general, we want" is not a ******* promise, not even according to the nonsense you just posted in an attempt to shoehorn it in as one.

Bla bla bla etcetc. This is a game, a F2P game, not a bank, and the devs are not bank tellers. Your analogy is terrible. You didn't give SOE anything in exchange for "the promise" of infantry AV nerfs. SOE is under no legal obligation to nerf infantry AI. The new devs are in no way shape or form beholden to the plans of the old Devs. If that was true a change of staff would make zero sense.

Get intelligent, son.
    • Up x 1
  10. ColonelChingles

So what might we say when a person uses a word like "promise" yet has no understanding of what the word means? ;)

And FYI, every poor 1L has to learn about the legal definition of a "promise"... so hardly something you'd need a dictionary for. Or at least I wouldn't... and I doubt a book would do you any good.

The concept is quite the same. Vehicle operators gave up their AI power in exchange for a future payment of infantry AV nerfs. The Devs are holding our vehicle AI powers, and in the future (preferably sooner than later) they must offer up the infantry AV powers. That was the promise.
    • Up x 3
  11. EliteEskimo

What an massive amount of infantryside bias. I've seen 20 tanks around that point, and when you look closer you will see infantry surrounding the point too.If there are 20 tanks around the base you lost it and need to pull a counter from the next base over and flank those tanks. Have you also seen a small squad less than a squad sized of lancers instagibbing numerous tanks while not rendering from 500 meters away or more? I have. Have you seen 3 AV turret engineers instiggibing tanks from around 450 meters away while not rendering? I have. Have you seen seen 2-3 Raven Maxes not rendering and instiggibing tanks from around 400 meters? I have

The downside of planetside 2 is the over catering to infantryside infantry dedicated players. Reduced spawn times, super close base proximity, no counterplay non rendering infantry AV, redployside, ect.

P.S most tankers get far more enjoyment flanking and taking out vehicles, not zerging from base killing infantry which is extremely dull and boring. Those 20 tanks around the point are infantry players using a tank taxi cab, an easy way to tell is they are normally 1/2, not very well certed, and the people manning them aren't engineers

I find it amusing to think fullfilling part 2 of a two part plan would be so hard to understand. Tankers aren't making this up, the developers said it themselves. Although at this point you seem to just be plugging your ears going "lalalala I can't hear you, LALALALALAL!!! WREFSDGDTYUYJNYFGSDFGWERGBL"
    • Up x 5
  12. KnightCole

LOL, ive spread that sentiment around plenty, just a while back, and not during hte time of all these nerfs. This game has had everything up to and including the fun factor nerfed right out of it.

Idk what PS2 has become. It went from a good handling, decent performing, fun, really nice FpS where the gun play was nice, tanks were decent enough, planes were not so amazing, but now.......the game just handles like ***.....

Guns spread alot, Planes are derpy, tanks are useless, infiltrators have finally gotten their wave of buffs, headshotside is the infantry meta, overall feel of the game went to crap.
    • Up x 1
  13. z1967

dude, this was last year. Why did you have to bring this up now?
  14. iccle

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/update-notes-8-5.196032/#post-2849280

"Lethality Changes (Rocket Launchers, Tank Primaries, Bulldog)

We have a long term goal to remove some of the excessive lethality in the game. The Liberator belly gun changes made last June were a step in meeting this goal. This goal is not just about reducing vehicle lethality against infantry, but lethality across the board (infantry against vehicles, infantry against infantry, aircraft vs infantry, etc). For this update, we are adjusting the lethality of heavy assault rocket launchers, tank primary weapons and the M60 Bulldog."

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/484361901250338817
    "In general we want these changes to bring MORE combined arms, by reducing armor lethality vs infantry we can reduce infantry AV power a bit."

So while in both these statements the word 'promise' was never used, the intent is clear to anyone who is not blinkered. We have had Stage One already, vehicle weapons and rocket launcher lethality was reduced vs infantry.

Stage Two is still pending...
    • Up x 1
  15. stalkish

Fair play Colonel, i dont know how you keep your cool when presented with the teenage slander ive just read. I usualy just say *** it and post some abusive drivel that gets me banned for 5 days, then abuse the mod who did it and get another 5 days lol.
    Thumbs up.
    • Up x 2
  16. LT_Latency

It probably didn't even affect many people

Who doesn't use AP rounds. I play TR so maybe that is the reason but I would never use anything but AP rounds once I unlocked it. It's just like a sniper rifle if you can aim your going to kill infantry and tanks.

The splash damage wasn't worth it. IMO
  17. KnightCole

Lol, so ultimately they will nerf everything to where projectiles will all travel like underhanded thrown Medicine balls, damage drop off will be 8m-45m, damage even for NC will lower to like 143-125 lol. Game was fine right after they nerfed aircraft insta gibbing tanks in the rear, that was the best time in this game.
  18. Calisai

Sigh... Stage two is pending on a whole bunch of things. I'm not going to hold my breath.
  19. dstock

+1 for good forumside practices, you should add this to the PS2 wiki. The best part is you didn't post it on Reddit or Twitter, so the devs surely won't notice.

Please don't hold your breath. Even the will of vanu can't reverse asphyxiation.

I've lost most of my interest in this game. The infantry play has sucked for well over a year, the vehicles are somehow still being nerfed and ignored, and there's (suprisingly) still no meta game. I get more meta-satisfaction clearing out CS:GO DM servers with my blatantly OP Tec-9.
  20. Leer

What is your point? That infantry should redeploy pull a tank/Air to just because a farming tank doesn't want to move when some infantry plinks away at them with limp AV weapons? Why have infantry at all if the only solution is to pull more tanks.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.