[Vehicle] When are the promised infantry AV nerfs coming?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ColonelChingles, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliteEskimo

The difference is is that they were about to implement these changes right before Higby left, and according to Dcarey before he left that means they should be up soon. I'd suspect we'll see some changes in the next 1-3 months.
  2. MahouFairy

I would agree with your last paragraph, but this just keep driving the nerf train forward and to the point where everyone would be shooting rocks in a Sci fi game. There needs to be a higher degree of lethality in this game.
  3. Calisai

Mmmhmmm.... Yup... and since the purge... most of what's been teased and shown to be working on are things that can be directly tied to the success and improvement of the PS4 release. IE, infantry balance, models, and newbie zone. While all worthwhile goals and directly tied to PS2's success in the future, it also means that things like further balancing of vehicles will take lesser importance unless it can be directly tied to an issue that would impact PS4 users directly.

Since most of the PS4 users at release won't have massive certs to sink into vehicles, and with the lack of FPS games on the console, there is going to be more of an emphasis on infantry FPS than vehicles, So, I'm not thinking that it'll be a high priority prior to release. It would also be risky to release a balance patch related to vehicle power right before release. The safe bet would be to hold relatively pat until after release, then evaluate it then.

It's not like the changes were solidified and they were in the process of squashing bugs before release... there was still questions and arguments on certain aspects (IE, unlimited ammo Saron, vulcan/enforcer changes, etc)

Maybe if they decided to push the HP buffs without the secondary changes right now, but I think the secondary changes are pretty much needed with the HP buffs, otherwise there will be a swing in balance between the MBTs. I really don't think they were as "close" in releasing the MBT balance patch as most thought.

I've moved into the acceptance phase and am just going to settle in for a few months of status quo. I hope i'm wrong...
  4. Xienxiuqhuah

As someone who enjoys playing Infantry and gunning for vehicles, here's my two cents:

Vehicles do need to be toned down. You can have a "combined arms" game without annoying and tedious vehicle spam. Now keep in mind, I love hopping into my friend's Sunderer and just wrecking everything with the Fury. I like getting in my friend's Vanguard and just obliterating Infantry with the canister. By the time we die, they have enough nanites for a new one. And don't tell me that because Infantry doesn't cost nanites that their AV options need to be nerfed. A single tank can blow up a dozen Infantry before the Infantry can pose a threat to the tank. Honestly vehicles are easymode. If you check KDRs for vehicle drivers they are very high, because a driver can obliterate Infantry, and even if they do take his tank out, well, that's 1 death after getting 10+ kills. When you bear that in mind, a lot of vehicle drivers ITT just come off as whiny and entitled to me.

Like it or not, Infantry are the stars of the show. Infantry capture/hold points. Infantry overload shield generators/SCUs. Infantry also repair all that stuff, including your vehicles. Vehicles exist to support Infantry and provide some variety in the game. Honestly the only useful things vehicles do is provide spawn logistics and destroy spawn logistics. Other than that, you can remove them, keep Sundies, and the game will not be significantly hurt for it.

Vehicles need objectives, and bases need to be less vulnerable to vehicles. Vehicles also need to have a higher skill cap. It's too easy for them.

I don't understand people who say "combined arms game" - and then all they do is drive vehicles and balk at the idea of being "forced" to play Infantry.
  5. quatin

The problem is "re-deploy". Infantry can magically appear and disappear from base to base without every having to go between bases, which is where tanks should rule. So now, tanks can only lay siege to bases, creating the image of "farming" and then here comes the nerfs.

Remove the ability to deploy to any base other than tech plants/warpgate/biolabs/amp stations. Force infantry to have to play logistics. This would create open field battles instead of just base battles.
  6. Xienxiuqhuah

Open field battles... oh you mean snipers on one hill shooting at snipers on another hill?
  7. Shockwave44

If your side doesn't want to pull tanks to fight it off, that's your problem but don't twist the game around to fit your faction's lazy habits. Doesn't matter if it's you or someone else. If you as a whole can't find the brain matter to work together and take out a tank on a hill, something's wrong and it's not with the game.

Sometimes the only solution is to pull tanks. Sometimes the only solution is to go all infantry. Sometimes the only solution is to mix it up. Adapt or redeploy to the next base.
    • Up x 1
  8. Hatesphere

I would just like to point out that this is in no way a legal promise. Concepts in a video game are of no real value in the concept of law. If they had said they would be increasing the membership fees to do x and y. And only did y you might have a case.
    • Up x 2
  9. Xienxiuqhuah

This.

It's not like vehicle drivers consensually entered into the agreement either.
  10. Leer

I never said that people don't pull tanks to fight tanks. That just shouldn't be the only solution. If you go back through the thread you can see that some guy said the solution was to pull tanks. Never said something was wrong with the game in fact keeping the AV as it is today is a better idea than nerfing infantry AV.

How am i twisting the game around by keeping it the way it is? How is it my problem that I like the current options when taking out tanks on a hill. I don't really see where you are getting your statements from.

Hah, it was you saying that we "have access" to tanks in response to other tanks. Now you are saying that we have more options. Atleast you are progressing to see the game does/should have other options other than just pulling tanks.
  11. Shockwave44

It's not the only solution. It's the only solution for you and here's why.

[IMG]

Infantry AV should be not be reaching over 300m. Believe it or not, there are other people in this game who also use vehicles to stop other vehicles.

You just said you couldn't take out tanks on a hill.
  12. Leer

You found my alt that is no longer in Odin (long time) since I only play the low population faction and was not being a good member with low online time. My main if you can call it that is in Jenk. I almost never play TR as they rarely have low pop on Connery when I play.
    People like to use vehicles? Didn't notice that at all.
    Never said that. Only said that we should have options for taking out tanks. You implied the only option was to pull tanks to counter tanks.

So now that we are saying the same things in different ways I'm off to find a new topic.
  13. Shockwave44

There are plenty options for taking out tanks. However, if you can't figure out how to do so without continuously slanting the game in infantry's favor, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.
  14. ColonelChingles

Yes. I agree that this is definitely not a "legal" promise, in the sense that you could take SOE or DBG to court and sue them over it. I'm pretty sure their TOS says that they can do anything they want and not owe anyone anything.

That being said, my emphasis is that there are all the elements of a promise present, so morally SOE/DBG would be obligated to fulfill it as if it were a promise. They took something away from people while saying that they were going to make it up to them, which morally obligates them to either give that thing back or actually make it up to them.

Really the only difference is the TOS... but that has little bearing on what we perceive promises to socially be.
    • Up x 2
  15. Haquim

Well, moral obligation aside (which is the last thing I expect from any company located in the US of A) their unreliability is the reason why they don't get any more money from me until they fix some of the issues that annoy me to no end.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if infantery AV actually got a bit MORE firepower - at least for those AV with limited range and without remote control meaning falcons get buffed, and but not ravens for example.
    And under certain conditions, including that the tanks they are shooting are actually as dangerous as they should be and that HAs stop handling their rocket launcher like it weighs in at 200 gramms and has no recoil. If you can't draw that thing like it was a pistol anymore, run with it like it was a carbine and actually have to dig your feet into the ground and stabilise yourself for a second or two before firing it - then I don't even mind if it flies 50% faster than now and a rear hit clocks in at 95% MBT health.
    Problem with that concept is of course that you get huge problems against MAXes - no more jumping around the corner and hitting him in the face with a decimator, but hey - I never said I had the ultimate solution to all of PS2s problems.

But as it is now.... As footman I'm more scared of Sunderers and Wraith Flashes than of MBTs! Someone said if nerfing continues everyone is gonna throw rocks at each other - you take the prize, problem being that ONE side already got the rocks delivered, we just wait for the other side to get theirs.
    Oddly enough nobody wants to take my rocks and give me my gun back, so I keep snapshotting whack-a-mole style at HAs I can only kill with a direct hit...
    • Up x 1
  16. Sixstring

The real problem with redeployside is the power of infantry AV though,right now the defending faction doesn't NEED to use any vehicles because rockets and C-4 are so powerful. Basically if your faction has more people logged on and they are willing to rush out of the spawn room a seige is meaningless,in that sense I'm really glad Higby and D.Carey are gone this game is not an Esport infantry-only player's paradise where light assault are "balanced" against tanks to instill some sense of social justce for the poor players who only want to play infantry and then just whine about the rest of the game or atleast that's not what it SHOULD be.
    • Up x 1
  17. ColonelChingles

So a sad update...

While it looked like SOE/DBG was making good on its promise to nerf lethality all around and finally nerf infantry AV capabilities to make up for their nerfing vehicle AI capabilities, today there's worrisome news that they might indeed be reneging on their promises.

So it's been 245 days... and nothing.

At first the Devs were investigating nerfing infantry AV and giving tanks increased health, which would have been a completely fair and welcome solution to their one-sided vehicle nerfs.

Then the Devs later decided that nerfing infantry AV was too much but that tanks would still have increased health. Okay, so it's not as fair, but whatever. At least the Devs are trying.

Today, over 8 months later of a broken and unbalanced game, the Devs have confirmed that they were dirty liars all along.

So now I am strongly encouraging the Devs to give back the pre-August 5th HE and HEAT cannons. They are free to admit that this experiment to reduce lethality all across the board was a failure... so to make up for that mistake they should at the very least revert vehicle AI capabilities back to their pre-August 5th point.

I would also suggest that the Devs retroactively give HE and HEAT tankers (and for the record I am not one of them) extra certs to make up for these unfair, unbalanced, and completely unnecessary nerfs. For every hour spent using a HE or HEAT cannon until they are reverted back to a pre-August 5th state, these players should be given 1/10th of a cert. This policy should continue until the point where the tank cannons are returned to their natural and rightful condition.
    • Up x 3
  18. Scr1nRusher

Combined arms, more like.........

Sunderers & Infantry, Am I right?
    • Up x 1
  19. Leftconsin

I'm going to flat out say this:

Vehicles are genuinely bad right now.

I keep trying to get into a vehicle, but find myself handicapped in terms of kills per hour and kills per death.
  20. MrJengles

I'm going to stand by the, perhaps unpopular, opinion that tanks can either be:

• Easy to spam and weak, or
    • Powerful but costly
    While I certainly like the idea of increased health it always worried me that it isn't best for gameplay until after the Resource Revamp. Seeing as that's on hold I'm not surprised the health change is too.

As for the tank cannons, the reductions were too much. I don't want the old versions back, just a small move back in the other direction and see how it goes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.