What's up with the triple loading screen?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by WilliamB, Dec 24, 2012.

1. TheCuqui

Same here, happened to me a 2-3 days ago. Squadmate insists on driving my Sunderer, so I move to gunner position, squadlock it, and when the squadmate moves from gunner to driver... 3 loading screens, while the Sunderer was well parked (but not deployed).
  2. NovaAustralis

Tonight, I had this on nearly every re-spawn.
    (First time I've had the 'triple load screens' this bad)
    Very frustrating, especially when I'm trying to send comms to the platoon I'm leading and look at the map...

I also had the 'empty world / open sky' graphics glitch for nearly 15 mins.
    (Definitely one of the longer durations of this bug and haven't had it for a while).
    It finally went away when I just stood in a spawn, looked at the map and issued orders, rather than try to run around.

I'm not sure what causes these bugs, but they need fixing ASAP.

SOE, please.
    Enough new gear for now.
    Get the bug / glitches fixed before any new stuff is introduced.
  3. BenYeeHua

And they has know this issue, and I hope it will be fixed.
    • Up x 1
  4. MGP

OH GOD!!! IT'S SO ****** ANNOYING!
  5. GraphicJ

Not to sound disrespectful but if you, as an SOE dev have not experienced this then it means that you guys are not playing your game enough. Yeah I know you guys are busy and all. Who isn't in the workforce, but playing the game should be part of the job requirement no? Or at least have decent testers to give this kind of feedback.
    • Up x 3
  6. shadowkhat

happens all the time, i'll either die, and instead of a load screen then respawn i'll get 3 different load screens then respawn... soemtimes not even where i selected to respawn.. i've selected tawrich before got an indar loadscreen esamir loadscreen then a different indar loadscreen and respawned at zurvan :/ then have to redeploy to get where i intended. i've had load screens in midair, just flying along loadscreen then lawndart, or just randomly explode.

it's happened so randomly with me i couldn't tell you if it was a specific class or a specific place, but its usually when theres a high pop on the continent happens more often it seems. (its like the respawn gets confused)
  7. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

What's being asked here is what kind of visual changes are you seeing when this occurs. There are several things that happen on that screen, and different parts of the screen changing mean different things. The circles in the lower right corner, the percentage bar indicator, and the background image specifically.

The unfortunate fact for us programmer types is that when we run the special magic debugging versions the timing all changes and it happens much less often. This sounds just like a classical physics/philosophy problem (the behavior changes when being "watched"), but it's an unfortunate fact of coding.

So when we are asking these questions, we're just making certain we are all talking about exactly the same problem and ensuring that we don't need to look for two different bugs. Sometimes it's not always clear this is the case and we'll say we fixed a problem and you won't find anything different - but in the end they can be two different parts of the code entirely.

The best example of this is the loading percentage. We've found two problems (and the fixes are working their way through the pipeline) - one where the percentage switches from 100 to 98 to 100 (this was just a coding ... um ... 'moment'). This is a completely separate problem from when the number goes from 100 down to 75 or less and then works its way back up (this is the more serious problem that people are discussing here). They can certainly look like the same thing to anyone who doesn't know the internal workings.

P.S. I usually put in about 15 hours a week playtime at home - sometimes spread across all the different regions (I admit I haven't played a large amount on Briggs, sorry).
    • Up x 4
  8. Wobberjockey

it bears mentioning again:

SOE personnel are not interchangeable.

art people make the guns look cool, but they probably can't code to save their lives

World designers change how the world flows, but probably can't tell you the first thing about how the guns are balanced

the combat team can tell you all about gun balance, but they probably don't have a clue how the infantry are actually rendered and the data is being sent from client to server.

and then there are people like cycles here who actually work with the code that needs fixing in this case.
    i would bet my bottom dollar that he has nothing do do with what gun gets released when, or a few aesthetic crown changes.

the fact is that just because a new gun is coming out, does not mean that nobody is working on the issue.
    and it is equally impractical to tell everyone else at SOE (hundreds? thousands of people?) that they needs to stop EVERYTHING until cycles gets the triple loading screen fixed.

TL:dr design for a game this big is a parallel process. order of release is in no way an indication of how important an issue is or how many people are on the problem
    • Up x 3
  9. Choppstick

Yes. It just keeps displaying the same one over and over and over. Ive gotten this on anything from respawning at any term/sundy, to deployment, moving through a telly, etc... its random but noticed it happens alot more at high load locations. IE big fights. Ive actually had it go on upto 7 or 8 times. At that point i tend to kill the client and restart. Because soon after that I will get the flicker bug of death or just a plain crash.

Edit: Btw I am not getting the %meter dropping and going back up. Typically it goes to 96-98% pauses hits 100% refreshes the screen and does it all over again. If I had to take a guess. It might be something to do with space to put my char where ever im zoning. But this is happening ALOT more every preformace fix that gets released.
  10. Seqea

Flicker of death is prevented by choosing lower texture quality.
  11. Haya jii san

Don't you worry good sir. Just do your best.

We, the community, have faith in you <3
  12. ScrapyardBob

Here's an example of a double-loading screen and a triple-loading screen:

This was during the hackers attacking the warp-gate on Indar last Friday night.
  13. Choppstick

this is exactly what I get but sometimes it can go on for 7 or 8 times. Havent counted them all but sometimes it keeps going and going.
  14. ShokkWave

Why do people not realize that this is 2 completely different teams? In fact, I'm sure there are several different teams. Why would someone working on bug fixes have anything to do with creating new items or work on optimization? Not sure about where you work, but here, the people who do payroll sure as heck don't do IT support. What a disaster that would be.
    • Up x 1
  15. Jeslis

Heyas Cycles//Bug fixers

With regards to this specific .. type? of issue (the triple loading screen).. I just wanted to add that, ever since this started happening or at least, that I noticed it in PS2, this now happens every so often in World of Warcraft as well.

Again, its random, just zoning into a raid instance, or my 5man random que (not sure if you know what these are, I can elaborate if needed, simply quote my msg and my alerts will let me know).

Since this is happening across both games.. is this a driver issue perhaps?
  16. Talizzar

The multiple load screens is almost identical to what was happening when the hacker was flinging us into oblivion. I appears that you get a loading screen for each hex you pass through? I am guessing that this is supposed to be a transparent hand off at the server side but is not. It almost feels instance based.
  17. Wobberjockey

i believe what happens is that the game is cashing data for the hexes immediately around it, perhaps with a bias based on your direction of travel and speed. not sure if player data is involved, but almost certainly world data.

i've noticed that on the few occasions i DO get multiload screens, it's when i am crossing large expanses of terrain quickly, say going from the warpgate to a sundy in the field to a spawn beacon in yet another area.

this would be consistent with the hackers smacking players clear outside their continents, and the loading code trying desperately to catch up with the absurd speed the players were experiencing
    • Up x 1
  18. Mortucus

its an old beta bug thats been around for a wile i think its funny and annoying at the same time the only thing that is grinding my gears at the moment is the god dam mother ******* hackers running wild all over the place makes me sic
  19. Reloaded

CyclesMcHurtz: I just want to say "thank you" for your explanations. Every major game I play, I am actively surfing the forums, and never have I seen a dev go into so much detail about how things work for each particular problem/concern.

In the end, (at least for me) it really helps to understand what the problem really is and what it is going to take to fix it.

I have yet to have found a specific thing that causes the problem to be re-produceable. I hope you guys are able to figure out the problem and fix it soon though. :)
  20. NovaAustralis

Thanks for jumping on and sending a reply CyclesMcHurtz!

My experience is basically; I'll get killed, the option to re-spawn will appear, I select a location and click.
    Then the loading screen appears as normal, it loads pretty quickly.
    But then it will suddenly do it again, and then again.
    The background image is different each time, but all related to the current continent.

It loads too quickly for me to see the exact percentages, but it seems to get to 100% on each pass.

The problem is I don't think I can transmit voice during that time, so there is about 15-20 long seconds of silence while my team awaits orders.
    Also, when this occurs nearly EVERY re-spawn it becomes a nuisance.

Very glad to hear you guys are working on this, hope a fix is found soon.