[Suggestion] TR now severly lacking in anti-magrider weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Oct 21, 2014.

1. QuakerOatsMan

Lock-ons can work, but only when the magrider is in an open field, without smoke screen (which no MBT needs to carry these days, for obvious reasons). The terrain will—more often than not—work against lock-on weapons. That pretty much leaves the average TR player to fend for themself with very few long-range-effectiveness options. Compare the capabilities and effective ranges of the marauder, vulcan, fracture, striker, pounder, etc. with several of their ES counterparts on both the VS and the NC.

One of the sole reasons the prowler is getting more KPH, DPS, etc. than the other MBTs is because of anchor mode, a purely offensive ability which can also easily prove to be its bane. Otherwise, the prowler would be at a greater disadvantage compared to other MBTs at the ranges it can currently operate—primarily because of its dual-barrel recoil and its lack of defensive options. Is the prowler not supposed to have a higher average kill count when its ES ability sacrifices survivability for offensive power? Does the prowler's longer range capability with anchor mode not at least ease the shortcomings from the TR's lack of long-range/high precision weaponry?
  2. Xasapis

Not only it eases the shortcomings, but it crowns the MBT as the best AV MBT platform in the game. Used to be both best AV & AI before the PPA became extremely popular and I'm expecting it will become again after the nerfs.
    • Up x 1
  3. Flag

If it's a PPA Magrider (meaning no Saron/Halberd), an AP-AP 1/2 Prowler has a hilarious damage output advantage over the Magrider.
    So if you can't win that exchange, and the PPA is in range of your infantry (~300 meters before server load piles up and reduces it) maybe you're not a good shot.
    Alternatively, if anchoring isn't your thing, grab a gunner, a Halberd and -drive- over to it. A magrider is never favoured in a direct confrontation with another 2xAV tank (prowler has dps advantage, vanguard has durability (armour + shield).

You have options with your Prowler, you just have to use it (in the right way).
    • Up x 3
  4. Flag

What are you talking about? mid-PPA madness Kevmo claimed the Prowler was still the king of AI (mentioned in passing to Klypto at SOE Live I believe), so if anything the PPA just brought the Magrider closer to the Prowler. Difference being one did it with the main guns (Prowler), the other with the secondary (Magrider).

Leaving the VG in the dust, so to speak.
  5. Zotamedu

Depends on how you count. Prowler is ahead in main gun kills but trails in secondary gun. The gap is much larger for the secondary gun than it is for the primary if you look at weapon efficiency. But I guess long range HE spam is the best way to farm anyway.

As I have said before, this is from the basic design of the tanks. The Prowler is designed to sit locked down on a hill shelling a base or a distant tank line. From there, the Prowler AI options are utterly useless. Only the Halberd is even remotely useful because it's the only gun that can even reach the same targets.

I think they messed up when they gave us lock down. It's hard to balance around. You need to keep the weapons balanced without it and not OP with it. How do you do that?
  6. Schizomatic

There's some sense of justice in climbing the same hill, mountain or cliff in a Flash or on foot that a Magrider would normally ascend, parking your AV turret on the reverse slope, and raining wire-guided missiles on said Magriders, screaming, "How do you like this sh*t now, m8! Nerf me!" watching the Magrider squirm, trying to figure out how to counter said elevation advantage.
  7. gibstorm

The problem is the magrider can easily go and get to places the other tanks can't In a battle the first place VS tank look for is spots the other tanks can't engage them with constant fire. So they can roll back for forth getting fixed with by an eng.

So you need to send infantry to get them
  8. Ztiller

That's not a problem. That is the only strength the Magrider have. It have both inferior firepower AND survivability than the other tanks, so it HAVE to look for ways to fight where the enemy cant fight back properly.
  9. gibstorm

Huh, they can dodge rockets better then anyone else that is why they have lower fire power. Should they have equal fire power and be able to strafe and always face their target??

Any tank in the game would go to spots other tanks can't fight them. No matter what

Being able to totally escape being destoryed by tanks and forcing infantry to engage them directly means infantry need good weapons to fight them
  10. Xasapis

I was looking at what kills Magriders as opposed to what kills the rest. Disregarding the insane suicide ratio of Magriders, the top remaining reasons are the same as the other tanks.
    • Up x 2
  11. Ztiller

The Mag can strafe at 20 km/h andn climb some slopes. And to pay for it is has the shortest range, lowest DPS, fixed cannon, slowest movement speed, lowest gun elevation, largest hitbox and worst utility.

No, i'm not saying it should have equal firepower, but this whole ""It's so unfair that the Mag can climb" is silly, when it's literally the only thing the mag have going for it.

The Magrider also cannot dodge shots from other tanks within 150-200m due to their velocity overtaking the strafe speed, so you're damn right the Magrider needs to be able to get to places where other tanks can not.
  12. Flag

So what if it's a primary or secondary. If anything it's even worse for balance if it's the primary that's outperforming, as that means you don't really need a gunner/give up vehicle control to use the gun in question.
    And if by "useless" you mean the best scoring AI of any MBT in the game, sure... Keep telling yourself that.

The magrider mobility is also it's only real strength.
    Which people seem to forget rather easily.
    • Up x 1
  13. gibstorm

/sigh, Which tank avoids the most shots in a combat situation.

It's the mag hands down.

People are saying it's unfair that TR long range AV weapons are horrible, cause it makes it hard to deal with them when they are in the mountains
  14. Flag

If it wasn't, the mag would under-perform.
    Like how the Vanguard can take more before dying, or how the prowler can do more damage in the same time span, the Magrider has to (ab)use it's mobility to make up it's shortcomings in other areas.
    • Up x 1
  15. gibstorm

I know that. That is why i said it has less fire power to make up for that ability
  16. Zotamedu

Since when is the Marauder the best scoring AI MBT secondary? It's the lowest scoring.
    http://ps2oraclestats.com/monthlystats/
    The reason is most likely the one I gave, not really a problem with the weapon but with the basic design of the tank itself. But personally, I much prefer the Halberd in all cases for a Prowler. If you find yourself in a position where you can hit stuff with the Marauder, you are most likely soon dead. If it's only single infantry trying to sneak up on you, the Halberd is good enough.
  17. Flag

You framed it as a problem though, which points to you feeling that it's a problem to -solve- (aka nerf).
    • Up x 2
  18. Flag

I never said the Marauder was the best scoring secondary.
    I said the PROWLER (see, the name of the platform) is the best performing MBT at AI.
    But as per usual TR players insist on ignoring the "whole platform" performance and focus only on the secondary guns.
    If these TR players didn't limit the comparison like this, their argument would disintegrate in front of everyone.

So, the Marauder is the lowest scoring, not really because it's the worst, but because it has to compete for attention with the Prowler primary guns.
  19. gibstorm

Except the title of the thread is TR now severly lacking in anti-magrider weapons.

You sort of need to read more then one post especially if you are quoting each other and not ignore the fact I said in the same post

People are saying it's unfair that TR long range AV weapons are horrible, cause it makes it hard to deal with them when they are in the mountains
  20. Flag

But they don't. There's the prowler, and AV Mana turret to mention 2.