The people who say they are leaving, but why?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by chilly154, Jan 30, 2013.

1. DirArtillerySupport

Funny everyone universally says let them leave and then turn around and ask for server merges.

I wouldn't wish making this game on my worst enemy. Who in their right mind tries to mesh Battlefield with Planetside and expect a positive outcome...probably a CEO. Had they just trusted in the original formula we'd be introducing a new generation to a brand new game the likes of which they have never experienced. This game isn't new at all. Forgelight is the only thing holding people here...for the moment. My hat is off to the coders that put that engine together.

Personally I don't think I'll ever leave but only because I'm a bitter vet and quite content making my own fun. I also love train wrecks but I certainly won't pay a penny to be in one.
  2. Goden

Not every game has an anti-cheat system but at least they have active admins.

PS2 doesn't have a anti-cheat and the admins are nowhere to be seen. The process you have to go through to get a hacker removed can take hours or even days. (Or not at all).
    • Up x 1
  3. JaxsonFive

Look at you all high and mighty. Come on down off that high horse of yours. I, like several others, have paid money (I'm still subscribed) but I play less. SIGH! Oh no, look at that. I'm totally unlike your generalization.

"Constructive"? Sure I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but considering this is my first time dealing with you I was already able to spot the typical fan boy spiel.

Do I like the game? It can be fun at times. But you know when I don't have fun? When I'm dealing with:

1. A rather high frequency of hacking.
    2. Exploits.
    3. Lack of a metagame.
    4. Horrible rendering distance.
    5. Bugs that cost me a vehicle.
    6. Graphical bugs/lack of polish: TRs mossy.
    7. Steep prices for guns.
    8. Lack of rewarding gameplay for Infiltrators.

See clearly there are other factors involved than some imaginary ADHD gamers that have a short "attention span". That is down right comical.
    • Up x 1
  4. ent|ty

Minecraft is still going strong.
  5. Gisgo

Please stop babbling, you have no idea what i want from the game, and why im not liking it, stop pretending you do.

ps. lol test drive unlimited, a game of depth :rolleyes: ... i see why you think PS2 is great!
  6. Degenatron

As someone who has actively policed an FPS server for more than a decade, let me give you a little insight:

The first rule of admining a server is you don't let anyone know you are watching the server. The second they know you're looking, they go on their best behavior - unless they just don't give a $h!t.

The second rule of admining a server is that you don't just take anyones word for it when they say "X is hacking". I've had guys I'd literally trust with my life be wrong about spotting a hacker. Spectating through a players eyes is still the absolute best way to see if someone is cheating.

As an admin, the LAST thing I want a player to do is to say in open chat "X is cheating" because any half-witted cheater is going to turn off their cheats and wait awhile. And as an admin, I've learned not to pass a snap-judgement on someone - if I suspect a hacker, I watch them for a while until I'm absolutely sure. You know what REALLY helps in cases like that? Having player I know that will stay and bait the cheater into cheating without losing their cool.
    • Up x 1
  7. Degenatron

Thank you for proving my point. Yes, TDU2 has endless depth if you are able to set your own goals.
  8. Goden

You don't need to explain the basics of being a FPS admin to me as I have done it several times before.

Explain it to SOE because they are the ones who don't get it.
  9. Gisgo

Yet everyone is calling cheaters on the open chat.
    Because there are no admins.
    No, they arent hiding.
    They are just not there.
  10. Gisgo

What goals? A new shirt? Sunglasses? Drive from here to there?
    Its a good game for brainless players, the same kind of players that will think PS2 is fine as it is.
    • Up x 1
  11. Degenatron

1. I guess I've been very very lucky in not running across many hackers. The way people act, apparently I'm the only one who's not hacking.
    2. "Exploits" is a very general term. One persons exploit is anothers valid tactic. Glitching through scenery - I'd call that an exploit. When I find places like that, I file a bug report. Do I expect a magic wand fix the next day? No, because that's unreasonable.
    3. Like I said, the meta-game is what you make of it. Right now, the large outfits aren't even trying to build the metagame. They've settled into a rut of zerging around empty bases. The IS metagame there to be played, the players just don't want to do it. You probably need an example, so here's one: "Let's lock a continent and the KEEP it locked for the night." That would mean doing more than just zerging around and then leaving. That would mean setting up a comprehensive defense network that could withstand any invading force. I have yet to see an empire attempt anything like that.
    4. Render distance / 5. Vehicle Bugs / 6. Graphical Bugs - These thing are annoying, but are they "game breakers". Only if you're the kind of person who let's them be game breakers for you. I don't have problems with any of these, and I play on a low-end system. I frankly don't know what I'm doing right or you're doing wrong. Maybe I'm just more tolerant.
    7. The guns are free. If you don't want to pay for them, then don't. Here's the funny thing to me about this: I often buy guns to save certs. I have the certs, but money is easier to come by. That said, I wait for deals and triple station cash days. Like you were so eager to point out, every body is different, so maybe you shouldn't go around what is too expensive for others to pay and what isn't. I'm certain everyone would like everything for free, but this isn't a charity. SOE has to sell SOMETHING to keep this game afloat (which is probably why it was released when it was).
    8. Infiltrators. The devs have already said that infiltrators are going to get some loving. LA first, then infiltrators, then max units - that's per Higby. If you're going to quit because your pet class isn't getting the attention you think it should fast enough, well then bye-bye. What you expect to get out of the sniper class other than sneaking and sniping is beyond me.

Is the game fun 100% of the time for me? No. Sometimes it's infuriating. Sometimes it's amazing. Most of the time it's somewhere in the middle. What do people expect?

The bottom line is that no matter what improvements or changes are made in the next 6 months some people will be unhappy and some people will leave. It's not a game for everyone. What I don't understand is the need to talk about them. Let them go.
  12. QuantumMechanic

Hmm, I don't think this is the case. Many of the people who are leaving are leaving because Planetside 2 as it currently stands is little more than COD, Battlefield etc but on a grander scale. Although that doesn't count for much because the rendering system makes "big" battles feel no bigger than 100 vs 100.

In a year or two this game should be a lot better, but that's pretty much what they released with. And in the 2 months since release the game hasn't changed significantly.
  13. JaxsonFive

Now was that so hard? We've come a long way since you've claimed that it's people with short attention spans that are the majority of players leaving.

Those are two things I can agree with. The game isn't for everyone and it's not 100% fun. Begins to paint a clearer picture, no?
  14. Degenatron

Wow. Again. Proving my point. I say "set your own goals" and you spout set benchmarks within the game. Here's an example: "Put 1000 miles on every car you own before purchasing another." This is an example of a self-made goal - one that I set for myself. One that I'm still working on. One that the game didn't need to tell me to do. One that drives me to explore the depths of the game. Tell me, what good is having every car in the game if you don't know how each one handles?

The EXACT same principal can be applied to Planetside 2, or any other game for that matter. The "failure" of the PS2 devs (and the TDU2 devs) is that they expect you to do that as a rule, not an exception.

When I was young, my brother and I set up two computers serial connected with Doom2. We played that for more than 2 years. Now, some one like yourself might get bored of that after a week or two - after all, it's the same maps over and over and only one goal - higher KDR. However, the replay-ability didn't come from new content in the game, it came from the ever deepening conflict between my brother and I. When, at last we had moved on to another game and our online server, one problem that we encountered with getting people to play was that we were simply "too ruthless". People would login to the middle of this no-holds-barred beat-down drag-out fight between these two maniacs and usually wouldn't last 30 minutes.

So, to me, someone saying that Planetside 2 gets boring after 2 weeks is like saying Chess gets boring after two weeks.
  15. Degenatron

No.

I don't know of ANY game that's 100% fun. I don't know ANY game that is fore everyone.
    I stand by my claim. If people are leaving, it's because they don't have a long enough attention span. You get out what you put in. If that's too hard for someone, they should just back to watching Jersey Shore reruns.
  16. cicero8

are you even playing PS2?? wth lol...
    ITS A FPSMMO not a mmorpg LOL.

I agree with the fact right no that there is no reason to fight for territory. They are adding continent locking for that reason. Lets wait and see what happens with that and if that dosent add any reason to fight for territory then il start flamming with you ok?

The game has a GUILD SYSTEM. its called an outfit. look it up. its there. Im in one. we have 800 members lol.

There is no trading. Why would there be? This is a massive multiplayer online first person shooter. NOT an MMORPG. What would you trade? grenade types? Guns? trading is rather pointless in this game...

THere is no crafting. How would you implement crafting?!! i can only see it happening 2 ways.
    1. enemies drop loot; you would have to run to pick it up and die in the process.
    2. monsters drop loot; it would be kind of cool to fight monsters but then its not a first person shooter anymore its a mmorpg with guns where you grind on monsters for better loot and then do the pvp secondly. The hole point of a MMOFPS is for the emphasis on the multiplayer and not role playing.

questions: what would you want for quests?. Kill x monster, deliver x ammount, no thats not going to work lol. What you need is daily and weekly goals by class. like kill x enemy infiltrators from x faction for 20 certs. heal allies for x amount of hp if he has been injured by an enemie. stuff like that. it would be trivial objectives that give a SMALL amount of certs that you could do daily for the class you choose, maybe providing 5-7 certs a day or so and would be accomplished while you play normaly. Weekly objectives could be lock x continent for x amount of certs. say 20-25 certs and every faction would have the same weekly goal. this would promote heavy fighting on specific continents for the week in order to get that extra exp and it would then lock for a specific amount of time and reset. restarting the weekly bonus objective. The weekly objective could not be earned more then lets say 3 times a week.

that gives 90 certs a week for objective team play for locking the continent (meta game) and 5-8 certs a day as a bonus for playing the game and completing a class objective of your choice (limited to one)

Coop vehicles, there are some. what are you talking about. Every faction tank has 2 seats. the sunderers have 12 (2 guners), galaxies 12 (4 guners) and liberators have 3. You can have some pretty good team play with that.

Loss in the game? you loose territories. that does not feel like a big loss now. but with the continent locking it will become more noticable. They cant make it so you loose exp when you die. Then everybody would roll vehicles 24 7. its just not feasible.

Most of your complaints are RPG orientated.
  17. [HH]Mered4

For myself, I have found that there are a ton of people who....want to stay.

What a concept.

Me included of course. I think I can rightfully compare PS2 to the current state of Nuclear Energy: Its really cool, It works most of the time, even though there are some pretty harmful, but low risks (or bugs) involved. Also, It has HUGE POTENTIAL, just like Fusion Energy.

So, I could compare those who are complaining and whining about PS2 bugs and balances to the ungrateful politicians who say Nuclear is high risk, costly, and too dangerous because it could destroy all of humanity.

If you are in that group. do you really want to be lumped in with some elitist d-bags?

I sure don't.

If you do not support an idea just because you don't like it, being mature is to ignore it, not ruin the day of everyone else who likes it by destroying the idea.

Grow up people.
    Most of us aren't twelve.

--Mered4

PS That last part could be taken wrong. I'm a legal adult. :)

PPS GO TR....
  18. mavix

I thought leavers are gonna lift.
    :eek:

Me? I'm not leaving but I'm not playing as much as I did last month. Cheaters and it isn't extremely easy to report & remove them, getting of bit tired of the same ol thing, and waiting for better things to come are my reasons.
  19. JaxsonFive

And viola, the mindset of a fanboi comes out.

Is Jersey Shore a show that you're familiar with because I'm not but then again I don't watch much tv. I do most my playing outside. I guess that makes me have a short attention span.
  20. Degenatron

Jersey Shore isn't really the point. Which is kinda the point I'm driving at. You ignore the point of my post and totally tangent off on something else. In that respect, you actually ARE showing a lack of attention span. Just because you "enjoy outdoor activities" doesn't speak one way or another towards your ability to focus for long periods of time.

Why are you so defensive?