Simple physics for why 0.75 ADS is not OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Yuukikun, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Yuukikun

Few points.

ZOE is completely irrelevent to this thread because the strafe speed of zoe made it able to intentionally dodge a rocket coming at it way easier than other MAX units. This in itself has nothing with ADAD and is a significant advantage.

TR carbines have 0.75 ADS speed if you didn't know and NC have AR with that. Now think of that when you want to cry about HA who use their shield and cut this ''amazing advantage'' in 2 when you don't.

I don't even care about the 0.75 ads on LMG because i have never main'd heavy and now i'm playing NC anyways because i've done all my ivi auraxiums with my VS (even did the spiker).
  2. Ceiu

This is the part most people don't seem to understand. The actual movement "ADAD" strafing allows (especially at 0.75 or more), isn't very problematic.
    Where things start getting all screwed up (see: exploited) is when you add in latency and extrapolation. It's no longer a smooth 0.75x movement left, 0.75x movement right, repeat. It's 0.75x left, 1.5x right, 0.6x right, 1.7x left, 1x right, ... (etc.); because the client is first predicting movement, then correcting its prediction's errors while making more predictions.

Since Yuuki is ignoring me, the example I was trying to provide earlier is this:
    Whenever someone disconnects ungracefully (client crash, network failure, etc.), you can see the extrapolation code hard at work as they continue moving on their last-known vector; occasionally leading to strange things like tanks driving through the air.
    While this is certainly an extreme example, that same extrapolation is constantly running on smaller scales between packets. In most cases it does its job and makes the game actually playable (you wouldn't want to play a real-time multiplayer game without it). It's when players start making abrupt, significant changes to their velocity that it becomes a problem.
    • Up x 1
  3. Schwak

Like I said, ADS modifiers should be tied to their weapons class. All Carbines and SMG .75 ADS, all LMGs and shotguns .5 ADS, and maybe .6 or something for ARs.

Side note, many people have stopped using resist for the very reason that it cuts your movement in 2. Running adrenaline lets you take care of bads pretty safely as long as you don't have 200 ping and you can also use it to tank knifes (resist shield doesnt effect knifes). Basically people will play HA like they play engi and then just pop their shield when necessary keeping their .75 ADS at full effect. Where I like using TR AR's that get .75 ADS, I don't like the fact that we get them. It's pretty lame from a balance prespective and I can feel it. We already get the best DPS ARs in the game and on top of that some of them have .75 ADS. Self heal doesn't debuff your movement speed so you can tank quite a few extra bullets using nanoweave and self heal as long as they are missing shots here and their. Arguably .75 ADS Medic can be more tanky then heavy assaults.

Also, I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure NM and Adrenaline only have like a .2 movement reduction or something like that, it's definitely less then resist.
    • Up x 1
  4. Schwak

I actually have a good example of this caught on video that I will post later after I dig through my past streams.
  5. William Petersen

This is an excellent explanation of my intuitional mistrust of the OP's premise. Thank you.
    • Up x 1
  6. MrJengles

Well explained.

Yeah instant, or near instant, changes in direction is poor design and highly encourages ADAD spam. And that's without getting into extrapolation / movement prediction which has also been raised.

I'd like to see how some acceleration changes would affect balance.
  7. FrozenCustard

Something that's really been bugging me is why the cqc LMGs for the TR and NC, the msw-r and anchor, don't have a .75x movement multiplier, which would help reinforce their cqc roll and hopefully stop the QQing.
    • Up x 2
  8. Xasapis

Well, Anchor doesn't seem to need the 0.75 movement multiplier to outperform Orion by a considerable margine.
  9. Bananenweizen

Did you find performance data for both LMGs on a comparable user group or do you still compare the 100m run times of Olympic athletes to 100m run times of the average Bob here?
  10. Xasapis

I compare them whoever uses one to whoever uses the other. I'm not in the head of the people playing, to evaluate skill.
  11. FieldMarshall

Im glad i played PS1 before the surge nerf. I will never have problems with ADAD or look at it the same again. PS2's "version" of ADAD is pretty much non-existant compared.
    It would be like comparing the dodge speed in Quake to the dodge speed of a TF2 Heavy.

Gee .25 faster snail pace sure is hard to compensate for :rolleyes:
  12. Bananenweizen

Ah, so you are still comparing a stock gun which everyone and its dog are using to a gun which is mostly used by dedicated HA players.

Keep it going, the comparison will surely tell us... something...
  13. Xasapis

No, I'm comparing a stock gun used by BR75+ with a non stock gun used by other BR75+ and the results are the same, it performs better.

Orion being a stock gun bringing the stats down is just an excuse, when you can exclude 70% of the playerbase and focus on the people with some experience with the game.

What I don't understand is exactly how much better than Orion will be good enough for some people.
  14. Bananenweizen

I explained to you at least twice already why using KPUQ4 reduces to some extent the impact of the different user bases but doesn't remove this effect completely in the Anchor<->Orion comparison. Why you are still bringing it up is beyond my understandings.

Or shall we again look at the Betelgeuse and wonder, why a slightly different shiny Orion performs so much better than both Orion and Anchor?
  15. Xasapis

That's an easy one, the heat mechanism with enough bullets does make quite an impact. Once Betelgeuse users become significant enough in numbers, that gun will need to be rebalanced.