Quick Optimization update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Zok

i cant wait for hossin, and if you guys dont make a cave region for mod running youll never achieve population balance issues, you also need more vulnerabilities to over populated factions so their numbers dont mean jack to smart maneuvering and skillful planning/striking... mark my words
  2. Chipay

They already did :eek:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  3. MichaelS

hmm, so how about an updated update on the testserver patch?
    • Up x 1
  4. Chipay

No information nowhere, last info was Higgles saying it would go on PTS on 17th, but we're already past that point :/
  5. libbmaster

He said on the 18th episode of command center that it had been pushed back to the 30th.

I encourage you guys to go watch it. If you can get through some of the campyness it's actually very informative. Around the 4 minute mark, they start talking about the optimizations.
  6. DramaticExit

I'm not sure I want to know...
  7. TheBlazing

What about optimizing lighting? Has using lightmaps ever been considered? Lightmaps are pre-computed "textures" that represent lighting on static surfaces and because of this they are much less expensive than realtime lighting.
  8. ErebosGR

You can't have lightmaps with dynamic Time of Day...
    • Up x 1
  9. DeusExForever

WoW uses "baked on" shadows extensively with it's dynamic day/night/weather changes.

If done well (especially with rock/tree/building shadows) it'll save a ton of processing without gimping visual quality (can turn off shadows and still have pretty graphics).
    • Up x 2
  10. NCVeteran

About time this optimization stuff was finished. Now you can get back to bringing us Hossin :D
    • Up x 1