PTS Patch Notes - 8/1

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by d_carey, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Popper100

Things that are good:
    Bug Fixes
    New stuff
    Alerts
    Non-tank balancing

Things that are bad:
    Tank "Balance"
    Rocket changes
    Bulldog changes

Why are these things bad?
    The tank changes are inherently bad for a variety of reasons that require little to no real use data, just a little sense. HE now having the same reload will turn the tank game into a two gun show for vets while new players are stuck with a weapon that is weak in both it's prospective purposes. My theory is that HE/AV MBTs will be the new standard for those who are in the tanking game, as the reload speed being equal allows the modest drop off of damage to be offset with similar shots fired and the ability to defend yourself (not attack) infantry is vital to tank play. AV tankers will largely be happy they can kill tanks with a few more hitpoints in the bank in a majority of case. And new players get left in the dust, especially since you are also so dead set on nerfing the already near useless Viper.

Rocket changes are only bad because supported MAXes will have less fear of losing their pocket engineer to a rocket and can just be repaired through the damage in most cases. I suppose entrenched enemies facing newer players also have less to fear as the one tool at their disposal now does little more than tickle. And why on earth is the Decimator getting another disadvantage? Were the first two not enough?

The bulldog is a strong area of denial weapon with a down side of low, low, low range and funny arcs making use a bit finnicky. It should be devastating for how hard it is to use. This is a straight nerf to Sunderer survivability, though not quite as logic driven an opinion as the first two. I honestly don't know what this one will do in the long run.

Other than that, looks like an interesting patch
    • Up x 3
  2. StiltonNinja1

There isn't really enough difference between the Decimator and the stock rocket launchers, and now it's worse?

Here's an idea- make the Decimator a high velocity kinetic penetrator with very high direct damage for vehicles (and MAXes) but little or no splash damage (e.g. like a tank AP round instead of a HEAT round). Reward accuracy.
    • Up x 2
  3. NinjaTurtle

So what I mainly go from the notes was

Directives: Awesome loving the idea

Resource Changes: Loving the theory behind it, be interesting how it translates to live play

Rocket Launchers: RL primary users "Learn to aim" <----- thumbs up to this

Bulldog: Stop cheesing and be a man
    • Up x 2
  4. vanu123

First of all thanks for replying, I can appreciate it. Nonetheless I don't understand how/why it would go through just because a large portion of the player base did not like the changes. I mean if it ain't broken don't fix it.
    -With respect to the rocket changes you could have just added some more resistance to flak armor instead of nerfing rocket launchers across the board.
    - As for the tank changes I don't understand the point of nerfing them in what their original role was supposed to be.
    - With the AI secondaries why not turn the Marauder into something closer to the banshee and why not just tighten the spread of the canister instead of nerfing the PPA? The PPA was never "OP" it just did its job well.

Also, a little off topic but on the note of "Nothing we do can't be reversed/modified." Could you change the striker and ZOE into something a little more viable, and revert the saron back to its old 1 shot reload system?
    Again, I truly appreciate the dev response.
    • Up x 2
  5. Kociboss

Great changes, but...

I mean...Why...Like...Uhm...So what's the point of fighting over a territory now? Other than fighting over territory for fighting over territory's sake?

Unless this is like super-early stage one implementation?
    • Up x 1
  6. Kirppu1

Maybe intercontinental lattice will change the deal?
  7. Kirppu1

Ctrl+f and no PhysX found....
    • Up x 1
  8. Lilium Atratum

Please NO.
    In my opinion Quick Deploy is not only not needed, it may actually degrade the game. People are impatient and they will use it. As a result they will spawn and respawn at the same, possibly bad, location, without taking time to look for better alternatives. Now they won't even have a chance too look on the map, because they can respawn right out from the death screen!
    This encourages tunnel vision tenfold!
    • Up x 3
  9. Camycamera

about ****king time.
    • Up x 2
  10. Acceleratio

Speaking of the devil, who is the artist? I really like his/her style. A little bit oldschool but a welcome change from all those gritty battlefieldish themes we get today. Almost like a good old 80s spaceopera :D
    • Up x 1
  11. Zeblasky

Is there any chance at all that you may reverse Quick Deploy before it hits Live? People gived pretty strong argument against it and it may even make the game much worse and mindlessly zergy. As for me, for example, well, I will never use that feature. Better to wait a bit for a revive and look at the map, then to blindly respawn like an... errrrr... unexperienced neewbe, who will never learn the game this way, will die too much in the same place, will ragequit and will never again play and spend money for you.
    • Up x 2
  12. ThePropain

It is. Malorn said on the Resource Revamp thread that this is just Phase 1 of the Revamp, which is just getting the core mechanics in there. Phases 2 and 3 will have ANTs, Base Power, etc, which is when the true strategic depth will come in. He said there won't be ANTs themselves, instead they plan on giving the Flash, Harasser and Sunderer some sort of Module that does the ANT stuff.

If you are looking for his exact sayings, just go to the first page of the Resource Revamp thread on the Roadmap and search for Malorn using your browser's find on page function.

But right now it's just totally simple at the moment. I just hope that the other Phases aren't too far out..... because this is totally anti metagame at the moment.
    • Up x 1
  13. Mystogan

Tank balance- it doesnt make any sense. What you are doing is making HEAT a direct DOWNGRADE (not sidegrade) to both other cannons. All 3 cannons has its very good roles with HEAT being in the middle.

Cannons before upcoming (stupid) nerfs:
    1. HEAT (base)- quite good against armor, quite good against infantry. Can OHK infantry with inner splash hit but cannot suppress large group of infantry, require more aiming for infantry kills. Good dmg against tanks. Well balanced weapon. Middle-velocity.
    2. AP- best against armor, worst against infantry. Cannot OHK infanty with splash.Highest velocity
    3. HE- wrost against armor, longest reaload. Best against infantry. Can OHK infantry but has biggest splash allowing to kill large groups of cluster enemies. Absolutly sucks against other tanks. Worst velocty.

What you are doing now is:
    1. HEAT (base)- quite god against armor, worst against infantry. Cannot OHK with splash. Useless against infantry, clear downgrade from AP. Worst balanced weapon, which is not good for general purpose.
    2. AP- best against armor, quite good against infantry- scroing direct hit is needed as with the HEAT (which makes it useless).
    3. HE- worst agasint tanks, better against infantry. an OHK infantry with inner splash and can cover bigger area.

What you did is you made HEAT being direct DOWNGRADE compare to other two. HEAT should be all-arounded, balanced cannon. Means it can dmg armor quite well and defend with infantry, although not so much as HE. Right now it is no more all arounded, since it CANNOT OHK (It is HIGHT EXPLOSIVE anti tank round and it can kill one guy with one shot?!!), so there is ABSOLUTLY NO REASON not to immiedtly switch to AP being better all arounder or for HE for pure AI setup. You need direct hit any way, might as well have AP for better armor killing while AI power is the same as HEAT.

Right now you just make exeprience for new players even worse.

Imagine please a new player who pull a stock tank see infantry and shot it and the guy is still running- you think after showing something so stupid this players will have better experience? I wouldn't. You make new players start with DIRECT WORSE weapon. Not balanced- just worse.

And do you think that will help your PS4 gameplay. No. We remember that HE or HEAT were better. New PS4 players will not. They will just from the start go to HE cannons and learn to farm using more aiming then we had to, but the result will be the same- they will just farm as good as we, because that will be their base.

And you do not listen to feedback of players. We do not need testing on live to see that those changes are stupid. It is obvious for everyone with brain, few years of playing games and at least 100 hours with PS2 game. You are constantly saying- we want your feedback. But even with 95% negative feedback to tanks changes- you are still pushing it to live. So why even writing such BS if you ignore us anyway?

Well, as I said you are loosing two premium members here and I think you will loose some other player thanks to that. Sorry, but there has to be some logic even in game- THOSE ARE TANKS, this is infantry. See difference?

So to summary:
    1. You are making HEAT useless DOWNGRADE, against your policy of sidegrades.
    2. You are making experience for new players in tanks much much worse and frustrating
    3. You are making everyone to swtich to HE from HEAT for AI, so more HE will be used for farming.
    4. AP is now best all-arounder (that is just funny as hell...)
    5. You are making your game looks more ridiculous than it is now- Explosive tank cannon (120-130 mm cannon) do not OHK with 1 meter splash dmg radius, but two bricks of C4 with size of gaming pad are insta-gibbing huge tanks with SPLASH (not directly attached).
    6. Just to remember- no new players will come for your game SOE, not huge numbers. And not much will pay. But you are doing great job to loose those which you already have and who pays you.
    7. But you never had any sense of balance, so why do I even try.....
    • Up x 7
  14. Gorion

Overnerf... like the ZOE nerf.

PPA is OP ok. but i say its working like intended.

If u wanna nerf it make it like this:

Proton II PPA
    We want to address how much the weapon can be spammed and how effective it is at suppressing an area, so we will be reducing its magazine size and ammo capacity. In addition, we are reducing the visual size of the projectile. The projectile was as big as the resulting explosion visual, and that felt weird.
    Magazine size reduced from 50 to 35
    Certifications reduced from 5/10/15/20 per rank to 3/6/11/15 per rank
    Stock Ammo capacity reduced from 350 to 280
    Certifications reduced from 50 per rank to 20 per rank
    Projectile visual scaled down 30%
    This has no a slightly affect on its collision detection

Thats a normal nerf!
    U ruined the ZOE Max units and u still have no idea whats do to with the VS max unit and now u just noticed he massive whining about the PPA and again a overreaction!!!
    • Up x 1
  15. gigastar

U wot?

Even if it lost 60% of its magazine and ammo reserve, the PPA is still much better at sustained fire than the Marauder.
  16. raumfahrer

So, with the damage nerf... can we get the old accuracy back? CoF and ADS in air.
  17. 69eyes

gg wp
    • Up x 2
  18. noidea

lol basilisk is now pretty much better than PPA and you're nerfing launchers that can't be dumbfired.

gg soe, balance is definitely not your thing. When we asked for a PPA nerf we asked for a nerf, not to make it completely useless. Is there still any point to use empire specific guns or you're just trying to shove your NS gear even further into our face ?
  19. Halkesh

Cool, the PPA have now as much as suppressing fire capability than the 20-bullet-BAR from WW2 ><
    English isn't my native language, I want to be sure to understand : they reduce the visual effect and keep the actual projectile seize ?

I don't say I agree with the HEAT nerf, but to those who say it will become useless I can't agree with them.
    The gun is still a 2-shot-kill with splash.
    Now look at the future HE gun : 1000@1m, 1m. That will lead to much more 2-shot kill than before with the 2m inner splash.

About the RL I like the no-OHK for flak armor5 user, but I don't like the splash damage reduction.
    Plus, why reduce the inner splash to 0.35 at the same time of reduce the damage ? They should have change the splash to something like 750@1.5m to 1@5m (and by the way, normalize G2G RL outer splash from 6m to 5m).
    • Up x 1
  20. RemusVentanus

Instead of changing bases so tanks cant fire at the spawnrooms they just nerf tanks into the ground... color me surprised :rolleyes:
    And ofc the next nerf is sure to come, cant have tanks to be useful at anything after all.

In the end HE will have a splash like current AP and AP will have none at all, no tank gun will be OHK on infantry no matter if they have Nano or Flak because: "ermahgerd how dare that tank shot me while i was standing around in the open doing derp... NERF!!!!!1"
    The secondarys will be nothing more then decoration and only fire flares like the flare gun but with a smaller visual/effect otherwise infantryside will demand another nerf. And once everything is nerfed into uselessness the cost to pull a tank will be increased just to make sure no one will pull them.

The rocket changes.... wasting time on a non issue better spend on base design.
    • Up x 4