PS4 port of Planetside 2!!!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ClusterBomb, Jul 15, 2013.

1. LordMondando

Also I never said it could not handle PS2, I said I thought it unlikely it could handle PS2 on 'ultra' or even all high graphics. This comes down simply to the reliatisic abilities of a APU GPU (technology is still in its early days this is what 3rd gen? 4th? all in fairly rapid succession) having to share memory (allbe it GDDR5 which is going to help) with the CPU. Certain hard realistic limits apply.

If your going to rage at me, at least make the rage coherent. K. Thx. Bai.

Oh yes and my education does actually entitle me to venture a position. Kinda of the point of training people to be experts in certain things in a society. Frankly my position is realistically pretty optimistic, bother to look elsewhere you'll have me noting, numerous times, PS2 is one of the, if not the most computationally intensive game on the market, or in development. They get it to run on a jaguar at a playable framerate at all, that's a fairly sizable achievement.

xoxoxox
  2. LordMondando

I think a 7870 is pretty optimistic as a comparison. Its designed to be HD 8000 so its likely got some improvements, but I'd wager its going to be more comparable to a 7750 myself. Jaguars not a total mystery at this point, and whilst i'd bet their sigificantly beefing them up for the PS4. I do not believe, nor expect in miracles. and the Jump from the ones they got in them now in their A6 line, the HD8400 is not going to be into the stratosphere.

A good card, totally capable of playing PS2.
  3. Irathi

Hmm, the HD7850/HD7870 was the comparison presented by anandtech, but that was assuming almost 2 TFLOPS. After the update of 1.84Tflops they do not make a similar comparison. So yeah I mixed them up, 7750 is probably more correct.

Kind of dissapointed though, the 7750 isn't really considered a "gaming" gpu, anything below the HD7850 becomes to slow to play for instance BF3 at 1920*1080 with persistent framerate in the 50-60 fps seg.

So in the end we are looking at a 8-core 1.6Ghz with perhaps a 2ghz turbo coupled with a GPU equivialent to a HD7750 or slightly better.

Soe better work magic..

I think many on this forum never experienced planetside 1 when it was released (2003). The situation back then was even worse.. It was before the dual core became normal, which was a revolution for the game when it first got out. People had single core pentium 4 at 2-3 ghz or the amazing Athlon 64's. The arrival of "cheap" dual core was so immensly over-powered that we would easily use it as an excuse when someone killed us. "He dual-cores, thats why he's so good" - used every day by all single-core players.

Even the decent phenom II X2 would be maxed out in that game. Which was released in 2008!

My point is, SOE released a game that would take several years for the hardware to catch up to. I won't be surprised if they do so again.
  4. Mrasap

It wouldn't be the first time a representative makes promises they cannot fulfil. Here is to the drone attack using the mobile app!

May this be a life lesson to complement your previous life experience. How abundant it might be.
  5. LordMondando

Its hard to say, the HD 7000 line is a capable but now fairly old line. I imagine they have been putting quite a lot of effort into the HD 8000, also I imagine they have been given a rather large bag of money to develop the 'custom' jaguars for the next batch of consoles.

Even then you've got to keep cost per unit within certain limits, then again mass producing things by the thousands also puts that down. So there will be a balance to be struck. I imagine the realistic aim is 1080p with graphics roughly corresponding to the medium/high spectrum. Probably doable. I just don't think its makes particular sense for people, like our angry friend to expect much more than that, which is quite an achievement anyway.

Well I imagine that have direct access to exactly how the PS4 works. Which will help.

Oh massively so. As I keep saying, there are good reasons why no other publishing house will even touch a game trying to do combat by the hundreds.

All of this however, is massively couched on how well they increasingly mutlithread the base code. Its doable no doubt, but I also wouldn't be suprised if its launch didn't get pushed back a fair bit.
    • Up x 1
  6. Vanon

1. Why would SoE make the game for Xbox one?
    2. there is currently a problem with running this game longer then 30 minutes before it switches from GPU to CPU. This is why with a 7870 your only getting 30 fps at the largest fights. I'm running an i5 3.4 ghz with a 7870 and i get 80 FPS for the first 30 minutes in large biodome fights, after 30 minutes or so, i end up at 30 fps. Most likely they fixed that problem with the PS4 and wrote optimized code specificly for the processor or patched the game with that processor in mind.
    3. Jag GHZ spec's have not been released other then it will be 8 core and low powered. If you actually knew anything about processors, the GHZ is not the only consideration when we are talking about preformance in a game. Thats like saying TFlops are the only important stat on GPU's. They are used as a false sense of messurement to sell super highly expensive PoS systems so people can think they got a good deal. Case and point, match your cpu against mine on toms hardware, then look at the price differnce.
    4. stop using empty threats like reporting people. It makes you look like a ****** who is to afraid to fight his own battles. It's essentially forum talk for crying mommy
  7. Irathi

Wow..

1. I could be mistaken on the Xbox one, the point is they use more or less the same hardware.
    2. I do not have a HD7870, I have a GTX760.
    3. Jag Ghz are well known, the specific Ghz for the PS4 version isn't. It is however fairly certain that it will be in the range of 1,6-2Ghz.
    4. If you read ClusterBombs pervious reply, you would maybe understand why I hinted that he might be reported soon. I quote:
    Now please, read the thread before posting nonsense like the above.
  8. Vanon

1. No company is stupid enough to release a product that they have sole rights to for their competitor to use in a primary market.
    2. good for you, doesnt change the point i made.
    3. In other words, you don't know. Your talking out of specific bodyparts which i will not say here because there are little kids present.
    4. I read it. So you are threatening to report the kid for telling you NOT to kill yourself? Would it be more acceptable to you if he had told you to kill yourself?
    5. Stop trying to "snow" people with assumptions writen like facts, horribly inadaquate hardware knowledge, while you make invalid points.

Not trying to be a dick here, but your passing yourself off as a know it all and your completely wrong.

BTW ps4 runs Far Cry 3 perfectly. It has significantly higher requirements then PS2 does, especially in the cpu department
  9. Irathi

1. who gives a damn about whether there will be an xbox version, I said I was probably wrong, the point of the argument was about both using the amd cpu (ok they are tailored a bit, but essentially the same).

2. I've personally never experienced the 30 min issue, my frame rate is persistent throughout.

3. Ofc nobody knows 100% certain what Ghz the jaguar in Ps4 will run, but these are not my assumptions based on my own knowledge. All I said was quoted from sites like anandtech, who in fact does have a lot more knowledge of the subject than both of us. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6976/...powering-xbox-one-playstation-4-kabini-temash

4. The kid pretty much told LordMondono to go **** him self in a more polite manner, sorry if I interpreted what he wrote wrong. edit: in a smart *** manner, looks like his post got deleted/edited away or reported by someone else.
  10. soeguud

Your sarcasm is really hard to read if it is sarcasm. Having console players on Ps4 is a good thing. More players is always a good thing. Planetside 2 is almost entirely reliant on having a large playerbase. Because that's all it has.
  11. Lafladitu

I do not think that the CPU will run more then 1.6 GHZ, CPU's today do not need to be uber fast on the clock speed.

The 2.75 GHZ that most of the people says is th CPU is more likely to be the GDDR5 Memory Clock speed
    PS4 are supposed to have 8 GB of GDDR5 memory with a total of 5.5GHZ, just break this in half and you get 2.75
    And it would mean that there are 2 sticks of 4 GB GDDR5 memory in the system running at 2.75GHZ each.
    in the FCC it does not say it is CPU clock speed but only the "Maximum clock speed in the system"

Sony wants to have the yellow light of death further away from the PS4 as possible. So why make the CPU use more power and produce heat.
    If you look at the Images of the FCC report on the Playstation 4, you can see that the operation temprature is betwen 5-35 Celcius in the playstaion 4.
    Remeber the powerbrick is also inside the system, as well as the other parts that produce heat inside. so they need as little power consumption as possible.

Then we have the GPU it is a modefied AMD Radeon card, It can not be compared to the original card, or any other cards until we can finaly see the full specs and none Alpha gameplays/trailers.

Either way Playstation 4 will be a beast of a console when it comes out. And I will get my hands on it not this year thought but sometime next year
  12. user101

Arguments are pointless -- the software will never be finished... on PS2, they can't even get the physX to work...!

You think the PS4 will work any better....!
  13. Vanon

My biggest problem is that Sony and Microsoft can't pick out the same color light of death. I mean you would think that they would atleast pick the same color. And why yellow ? Red is a perfectly universal and good light to represent the "death of a console."

Isn't PS4 suppose to have cloud computing? Though i know its a buzzword and it's not very specific, It still is suppose to mean free processor power based on computers connected. It would make since if they got some new architecture to take advantage of it and borrow processing speed for cpu intense online games.
  14. Vanon

Yes. It's exponentially easier to program, test, develop something for one specific set of equipment, then littlerly every piece of hardware within their system spec's in the world.
  15. user101

Sony has never gone with any standard that some one else uses... they are always out in left field. They were forced to drop beta VCRs ... you think PS4 will be different.
  16. Lafladitu

Yes PS4 will have cloud service called Gaikai, but not on launch but sometime in 2014 will we see it on Playstation4
  17. Vanon

Gaikai (外海?, lit. "open sea", i.e. an expansive outdoor space) is a cloud-based gaming service that allows users to play high-end PC and console video games rendered on remote servers via internet streaming, and instantly demo games and applications from a webpage or any internet-connected device.

seems more demo and advertisement based then computing based. Should be interesting though.
  18. Kommodore

Hey ******* the person you were talking to is from the UK which has 20% VAT tax on electronics, we have 10% GST here in Australia, that is less than them. A PS4 costs £349.00 on Amazon UK, that is ~AUD$600, a PS4 in Australia is $549.99, it is $50 less here. **** you have it hard paying thousands more with your super taxes. Our taxes are lower than most of Europe and so are our prices, and our wages are higher, shut your whiny mouth and appreciate what you have mate.
  19. TheAppl3

Bringing back a month old thread to super-rage at someone about a minor apparent mistake - with a bonus package of insults for good measure.

Classy start with your first post. As much as the fellow you quoted was full of severe misinformation and at times anger, this was silly and unnecessary.

A normal response would have been, "Actually, their taxes are significantly higher than ours at 20%."

@below: lol@Alienscam. That's one of the few companies where for a grand you'd get a PC that isn't much better than the consoles we've been discussing. A grand there (before tax) buys you an i5-4430 (cheapest Haswell i5 I can think of) with 8GB RAM and a 660. That's actually very close to a PS4 when taking into account the (one hopes) effective use of the octo-core chip that for-console games should have.
  20. [HH]Mered4

Idiots.

PS4 is a friggin red herring. they are in it FOR THE MONEY. NOT for the right reasons. Yes, money is a necessity, but it should be a TOOL, not an end. So they go to the PS4 to see if they can make big bucks.

And as some very smart people have already said, I can build a better computer for about the same price as the PS4, and it wont run PS2 as well as the piece of crap LAPTOP I am on right now.

And I am going to one up the PS4 AND XBOX 1 by buying an alienware for 1k.

Which will blow either console out of the water without even being in High Performance mode.

So yeah. I am gonna NOT limit myself by buying a bread n butter console. I'll stick to a PC. Better games, better people.