PS4 port of Planetside 2!!!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ClusterBomb, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ClusterBomb

I think its safe to say that Planetside 2 is designed for High End Computers.

I now realise that Planetside 2 was designed with the Playstation 4 in mind. No Brainer. The System Specs for this game are for High End PC's, and since Sony and pretty much 99% of the Gaming Industry have been saying the PS4 is a Very High End PC in Console form, I now believe the PC version of this game was more of a Test, but still SoE are taking it seriously like it isnt a test to get feedback to make the PS4 version great on release day.

I do believe Planetside 2 is a Fantastic game, but not on my PC, and again, no brainer that the PS4 version will be the superior version. Why? Its Simple.

For starters PC gaming isn't making the money it use to, it still makes ALOT of money, but the Console industry is Massive, and now with the PS4 being released in a couple of Months with its Hugely Positive reception, every Developer are jumping at the chance to make games on PS4.

Free To Play games can make a fortune from selling In game Items, and with the FPS Genre being So huge on Consoles, SoE know they can make alot more money from Planetside 2 if its on PS4, especially with its Massive Battles and Amazing Graphics and Great Gameplay. Everyone on PS4 won't be held back by System Specs, it will be a Massive Game.

I also believe with the PS4 CLoud service, SoE should be able to make something more impressive.

Also, I think Cross Platform play should be left out of Planetside 2. PC gamers have their hacks, they lag out the game and cause their issues so PC gamers can get stuck with themselves while PS4 players enjoy a stable game.

Im glad PS2 is coming to Playstation 4, its a smart move and one that I guessed would happen when the PS4 was announced. Especially when people dont have to spend $3000 to get a gaming PC to play this game, all they have to do is fork out $400 for PS4 and nothing will hold them back.

Now, we just gotta wait for the new Everquest to be announced on PS4.

Whats peoples thoughts on this move and Ideas for the PS4 version.
    • Up x 1
  2. TheAppl3

I honestly don't see what you're getting at here. Obviously it's going to the PS4. Obviously it will run far better on the PS4 since there is a single configuration that they'll be developing for.

Games are designed for good computers, unless you're playing Solitaire.

Of course they won't be held back, it'll likely be significantly toned down as far as texture resolution and effects as usual. Consoles simply don't have the power to handle the higher end of what PCs can do. That's not a bad thing - it leads to everyone being able to enjoy the same quality for the same price.

I find it interesting that you think console players never lag. Apparently they use some other mystical perfect internet connection that isn't available to us PC users. It obviously should not be cross-platform because... console aim assist.

You don't. You need a ~$800-1000 computer if we're talking new recent parts. Obviously the console is cheaper, but making up silly exaggerated numbers is silly in itself.
    • Up x 7
  3. Ian_M

Well the Playstation 4 is definitely not a high end pc in terms of hardware.
    More a low to medium range by present standards.
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/nvidia_calls_ps4_“low_end”123

If you only want to play games as cheaply as possible and do not care about game performance the the PS4 seems a good idea.
    If you want the choice of a better sound quality, graphics performance and not tied to particular DRM system then a PC is a good bet.
    You can also upgrade your hardware as you choose.
    There are many many free to play games for the PC and you can obviously use it for many other things also.
    Like everything else you get what you pay for.
    Hopefully a PS4 emulator will be available soon after launch for the PC. I bet there will be.
    • Up x 1
  4. applepienation

If they port Planetside 2 to the PS4 directly, I will laugh until I burst a lung.

Good luck running PS2 on a single 1.6 GHz AMD core. ;)

EDIT: Also, you're an idiot.
    • Up x 4
  5. AnotherNoob

Can you hook up a mouse and keyboard to a ps4? would be kinda interesting with aim assist if you had a mouse D:
  6. starlinvf

You laugh, but that was the plan from the beginning. Forgelight (engine) was developed to a unified platform for all of SOE's future games, and Planetside 2 was its test bed. You couldn't ask for a more unforgiving, unrelenting, downright complicated setup then an MMOFPS...... if the engine could survive that, it can survive just about anything.

With the PS4 adaptation, I imagine it'll be a shuffling of game resources and highly focused QA testing to fine tune it for the platform, and that a lot of "expectations" being toted by the team handling the port is realistically just blowing smoke out their ***. I have no doubt it'll run well, but I'm curious to see what they are sacrificing (or cleverly masking) to achieve that goal.
    • Up x 1
  7. NinjaTurtle

If this is what you spent on a system which I assume it is for you to pluck this number from out the air then you were ripped off

Way I see it, people that buy consoles have a PC anyway which in itself probably cost them around $400 probably more add on another $400 for a new console. Coupled with the fact that new PC games cost on average $10 less each (at least here in England). Also the possibility that you can re use old parts from an older system such as M+K so you wouldn't have to buy those parts.

Being able to invest $1000 into a PC that is capable of playing modern games on high settings is very possible..... if you build it yourself which by the way is easy, any moron could do it including me :p

There seems to be this myth that PC gaming is expensive and it really isn't
    • Up x 1
  8. LordMondando

Why would you test something in an environment in which most of the variables are significantly different from your desired end environment.

Tin foil hat logic sucks.

If it PS2 in PC was a test, they wouldn't have an entire team porting it to a relatively weaker peice of X64-86 hardware.

And the whole 'ultra high graphix on PS4 just the same as PC' contains a smidgen of salesman BS, hope people realise that.
    • Up x 1
  9. Odan.be

Console fps games always have built in auto aim.

I also can always tell the difference between a game video on console or pc.
    The console has this ******** and inacurate way of looking around and target overshooting due to the limited range of motion of a thumbstick controller.
    On a pc with mouse-keyb combo it is all fluent and precise...
    Condole games for, platforming and race games? yes.... for fps? A big no no
  10. starlinvf

And even if you don't want to build it yourself, its still possible to find places (or people) who can assemble then for cheap. Alienware (and pretty much all of the big "gaming" stores) are up selling you a brand name. And much like Apple, the consoles business model is designed around the brand, with the products promoting the brand. The more they get you to buy into the brand (XBL, XBOX controllers, XBOX games) the more money they make.

Buying PCs is closely associated with buying a car. If you go in with no idea of what your after, your going to go with whatever the sales men makes the biggest deal out of. If you go into it with proper research, a budget, and an idea of what your after, you can get a much better deal, that does what you want to do, as a result.

The problem really is that people make the comparison entirely on initial investment. But consider this.... Console system $300, extra controllers $60 X 3 (for party games or replacements), 1-year XBL subscription $60, premium game subscriptions ranging from $10-20 a month, $300 for a replacement console (because kids will abuse and break it eventually), and $60 a game. People try to use the argument about used game selling, but your not getting much of a better deal (maybe $30 for a trade in if your lucky).

Want to find out where to get a decent system at a decent price (but not have to build it yourself), just ask. Post a budget, what part of the world your in (otherwise everyone defaults to USA sites), what kind of performance your looking for, what other games you might want to play, and any preferences. As long as your realistic about expectations (or at least willing to listen to why you should expect less, or would want to spend more), they can pair you up with a system that'll do the job. Theres still a minor learning curve with PC games (mostly involving tweaking and maintenance).... but again, car analogy applies here to.
    • Up x 4
  11. NinjaTurtle

I agree completely
  12. TeknoBug

I really do hope SOE looks into PC version for optimization if they're going to do it with the PS4, I have two systems I play PS2 on and one has an i5 3550 (OC'd to 3.9 using a certain motherboard) and an FX 4350 (swapped from an 8320 which I donated to someone else) and even with identical hardware specs the AMD still struggles. In modeium sized fights such as at a tower outside I drop to 25-28fps on the AMD while I'd stay around 40-45fps on the Intel, heavy fights are worse, 20-25fps on AMD and no less than 38fps on Intel. I have everything maxed in graphics on Intel but I turned everything down on AMD except graphic at medium and textures at ultra and render at 75%. Even when I had to send in my gfx card to RMA and using an older HD5770 in the Intel system I was still getting great fps.

If you're putting together a new system for PS2, stick to Intel.
  13. Vertigo102

PS4 not even close in performance to my PC so it is maybe a low end pc at best.
    most systems from 2009 are faster then a ps4 and an xbox one no kidding.
  14. ColdCheezePizza

PS4 is an entry level spec gaming pc that charges you monthly just for multiplayer. Just buy a 4core sandy bridge and a $200 gpu and build it yourself for $600 or less if you shop around the used fs forums, in the long run PS4 will cost you more if you factor in the monthly fee's.
  15. ClusterBomb

Maybe you should play consoles more, cause alot of us are good at using the Console Controllers now that we dont have that issue.
  16. ClusterBomb

Watch this, it proves you are wrong. The Developer of Planetside 2 even says that their will be NO difference in Graphics/Visuals for the PS4 version.

17. ClusterBomb

Heres the Video of a Developer talking about the PS4 version.

The PS4 is Alot more powerful then you think. Even the System Specs prove you are wrong.

Main Processor: Single Chip Custom Processor
    CPU- x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores
    GPU- 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Next Generation Radeon based Graphics Engine

Memory: GDDR5 8GB

Just from looking at that, I can tell that the PS4 is a Very Powerful

You say how can the PS4 run Planetside 2 on 1 1.6GHz AMD Core. Well mate the PS4 has 8 2.75GHz AMD cores. SO get you facts straight. And as far as Im concerned, that makes the PS4 stronger then you think.

Most High End Gaming PC's only have 4 Cores running at 2.75 or 3.2GHz, that means its running 12.8GHz all up.
    The PS4 has 8 2.75GHz cores, all up, that is 22GHz.

So unless Im very bad at maths, that means the PS4 is a very High End PC.
  18. DeadliestMoon

Chances are that this is right, but I doubt it'll be toned down that much. Maybe, optimistically it'll be High graphic settings on the PS4 but realistically it'll be Medium at best. Also there's more varying types of builds in the PC community where as consoles are all the same. Boring to PC elitists yes, but fair to console players yes.

I hope they will give the ability to disable aim assist like the devs of Crysis 3 did for the console because I'm sick of hearing about PC guys bringing that up. But for the record, no one asks for aim assist, it's given.

Well the console is cheaper and people are lazy, so therefore no one's going to spend time building a desktop PC when you can just buy a machine that's already made for you to do the job you want. Also he was probably referring to Alienware.
  19. applepienation

I think you quoted the wrong post.

Now, again a few things. PS2 is more CPU driven than GPU, meaning the choice of GPU really doesn't make a massive difference on how PS2 runs, mostly just the CPU.

And talking about that CPU...
    Let us compare it to another 8 core AMD processor, the FX-8120. It has 8 processors, each running at 3.1 GHz. This versus the PS4s 8 core 1.6/2.75GHz (citation needed, I could only find 1.6)... Yeah, and the FX-8120 really isn't a super high end CPU.
    Most of the High End quad core CPUs have 2 threads per CPU, essentially acting like 8 cores (i7-3770k), or just 4 powerful ones (i5-3570k).
    It is a known fact that Intel cores handle most games better than AMD ones simply due to their architecture.
    AMD GHz =/= Intel GHz. You can't compare the two, they are different scales. It's like Imperial vs Metric.
    And a High end gaming PC won't have 4/6/8/12 cores running at 3.2 GHz, it should have upwards of 4.2GHz each.

The GPU has very similar output and specs as the Radeon HD 7870, a mid-range card.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I made a pc online that would have similar specs as the PS4, only with a processor about 50% faster and a slightly more powerful GPU. I couldn't finish it due to needing a case and whatnot, but the basic hardware I used would have come up to around ~$400.

The PS4 is roughly equivalent to a mid-low/mid range Gaming PC.

But before I post this, I want to make a couple other things clear. The PS4 is still excellent for its price, and if games are optimized well it should be more than capable of handling anything thrown at it on one setting or another for years to come. And if SOE holds to their promise that optimization for the PS4 will benefit us PC players then either way, we will still be running the game far, FAR better than a PS4.
  20. ClusterBomb

Their watch that video.

Plus, the PS4 runs on 8 AMD core running at 2.75GHz each,
    OMG, I knew it was going to be pointless argueing with PC gamers, but you lot realy can't accept that the PS4 is so powerful.

Im using Hardware that was new 2 years ago and I Cannot play Planetside 2, even struggle to run The Witcher 2 and Assassins Creed 3.
    Also, the PS4 GPU is 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Next Generation Radeon based Graphics Engine, so that means the GPU in the PS4 is stronger then most GPU's in the AVERAGE PC's today.
    The PS4 GPU is pretty much equal to : GeForce GTX 660 (1.9 TFLOPS)
    The only PC GPU I can find that is stronger then the PS4's is the GeForce GTX 680 (3 TFLOPS)

The PS4 is an Expensive High End PC.

This video Im posting is a Tech Demo for PS4. The Developer Quantic Dreams has made a short film using a Graphics Engine. It doesn't use CGI what so ever. Even Developers are saying they can't tell the difference between CGI and Games Graphics on Next Gen Consoles.
    But of Coarse the PS4 is only catching up to PC, Im not stupid to deny that simple fact.

• Up x 1