please get rid of the scaleform ui menus!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, May 15, 2014.

1. BlackDove

Depending on his specs he might not notice the issue but he probably has it if he has a modern gpu that boosts.

Even Lavans did a great job proving that he has the issue while trying to disprove that it exists.

Pretty much everyone i play with has their GPU heavily loaded but under utilized and the more 2D stuff on the screen the worse it is.
  2. Gammit

This is true, I have asked everybody who has ever played this game on PC. There was one guy in Manilla who almost agreed, but then withdrew his claim.
  3. Lavans

Wrong. Dragam and I both proved that PS2, like every other game, boosts the GPU when the GPU voltage is low.
    Here's Dragam's post that shows he came to the very same conclusion.

I can't believe you still want PS2 to have an issue, even after all this. What are you, a lawyer trying to falsify information and file suit against SoE for "damaging customer's videocards"? Because clearly you have no idea what boost technology actually does, and continue to misuse the acronym "TDP" in place of "power target" despite having been corrected on that once before.
  4. BlackDove

I know exactly how it works. And im not misusing the term TDP. There are instances where the GPU is loaded and boosts beyond 100% of its TDP because it is well cooled and has enough power.

Normally thats not a huge issue because the GPU is also being utilized to do actual work and not just boosting and consuming excessive power to display 2D elements.

Im not a lawyer. I cant stand them either.

What i want is for the game engine not to suck. If they fixed the menus maybe they could make the graphics look better if the GPU wasnt at its power and thermal limit because the menus are bugged.

Maybe they could actually use high resolution textures, real antialiasing and PhysX.
  5. BlackDove

Gonna tell us your specs?

If youre using a GPU that doesnt boost it might just be poorly utilized and not exhibit the behavior being discussed here.
  6. Lavans

Actually, you're butchering the acronym TDP.

TDP stands for Thermal Design Point. It measures the maximum power draw of a component.

Power Target is a dynamic variable that is adjusted by the on board sensors located on the GPU's PCB which is based on load, temperature, and voltage. A GPU's Power Target can go well over 100% while the GPU voltage remains the same.

Here we see League of Legends (Power Target is increased while voltage is decreased)
    http://i.imgur.com/izVRwbi.jpg - 58.36% Power Target @ 1.175v
    http://i.imgur.com/1mGaIQz.jpg - 107.77% Power Target @ 1.15v

If Power Target is a measurement of how much power the GPU is drawing as you claim it is, then why (as seen above) is there an inverse relation between Power Target and voltage? Would voltage not increase when Power Target is increased?
  7. Lavans

8. warmachine1

Just the HUD needs to be optimized, as noone gives a **** when shop runs at 20 FPS, u wont even notice when navigating in menus.
  9. Gammit

Sure, I originally ran one 560 Ti, but now I run two together in SLI.
  10. BlackDove

GPU Boost adjusts the clock and voltage based on the current load, thats why.

The algorithm that adjusts these parameters has to keep the card from exceeding actual firmware set limits for voltage, temperature and clock.

Thats fine if the load is a real world load and not a synthetic benchmark type or power virus that keeps the GPU artificially at one of those limits, which will prevent it from being utilized to do real work. If a part of the code causes such an atypical boosting condition youd get people reporting what they have for the last year: poor GPU utilization while experiencing excessive load.
  11. BlackDove

Yeah those dont boost. Is one of them idle because i didnt think SLI worked in this game?
  12. BlackDove

It was ok for a game without the in game option for real antialiasing, before they nerfed detail and PhysX for operation PS2 on PS4.

Even old games like TF2 and Portal 2 look sharper and pretty much any game with multisampling or supersampling as an option do as well. PS2 looked better a year ago. Using FXAA and DX9 for PS2 is ridiculous.
  13. Lavans

So, in a nut shell, you finally admit to being incorrect when claiming a higher Power Target means higher power consumption.
  14. Lavans

See, this is why I can't take you seriously when it comes to intricate tech posts. PS2 does not use FXAA, it uses Edge AA, which is what Crysis 1 used. This was confirmed when PS2 still had an editable materials.xml file. The actual line that defined its method of post-AA was
    <Object Class="MaterialDefinition" Name="EdgeAA" Type="EdgeAA">

We talked about this in detail over a year ago in this thread https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/planetside-2-msaa.107847/ remember?
  15. BlackDove

No, you should read up on GPU boost.

Why did you use LoL as a test anyway? You should be demonstrating your point using PS2 since thats the game were talking about.
  16. Dragam

To the ongoing power target discussion, id like to clarify that i came to the conclusion, that voltage gets lowered as a consequence to power target being exceeded, rather than the other way around... which was also why i speculated that the sudden lowered voltage due to power target being exceeded could be causing the instability / crashes people experience.

Regarding power target, it is purely based upon watt usage, which is why it is so easy to alter in the gpu bios - a 680 will as standard have a power target of 180 watt (100%), where you can set it to 132% in msi afterburner (or approximately 225 watt).
    But when altering the bios, you can just set it to 250 (or 300 for that matter), and let the Cards go crazy, if you wish to.
    Things that increase the watt usage is load % of the different components on the pcb (gpu chip itself, memory, memory controller etc), frequencies of the various components on the pcb, and voltage of the various components on the pcb.

Due to this, BlackDove is in some sense correct that the game acts as a power virus, as it makes the Cards use way more watt than any other game / application, while using identical settings on the gpu.
    Ideally, the gpu load / power target % is on a 1 to 1 ratio (and it is for everything aside ps2 in my experience, when using stock settings), while in planetside 2, the ratio is 1 to 1.3.
  17. BlackDove

Yeah thats a mistake since FXAA is Nvidias proprietary post processing blurry antialiasing.

Still not as bad as calling GDDR SGRAM "VRAM" which stopped being used over a decade ago? Yeah you argued that point despite being completely wrong. In this thread. Remember?

In the thread you linked to all i did was ask what the name of the specific algorithm is lol. How is that even relevant?
  18. Lavans

I have posted results from various games in previous posts in this very thread, including Planetside 2. It's not my fault you lack the attention span delve into this.

All games, including Planetside 2 shows the same thing - higher Power Target occurs when the voltage is lower than 1.175 (at stock settings).

Saying that a card is exceeding TDP just because the Power Target is above 100% is fallacy.
  19. Lavans

I used the term VRAM as it is coined by many respected tech heads - a measurement of available video memory. Don't get your panties in a wad.
  20. Lavans

Also, you are wrong again. FXAA is not Nvidia proprietary. AMD cards can also use FXAA.