please get rid of the scaleform ui menus!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, May 15, 2014.

1. BlackDove

I didnt say that the card exceeds TDP because of the power target at all. Wtf are you talking about?

I said it exceeds TDP because of a load, not because of power target. Your attenyion span long enough to remember the guy who was getting to 130% TDP? in this thread?
  2. Lavans

Which is also fallacy. A GPU cannot exceed 100% load. A stock card at 100% load means it is consuming the maximum measured amount of watts outlined by manufacturer specified TDP.

I remember you looking at Power Target and assuming it meant TDP.

Fun fact, there is no piece of software available for commercial use that measures TDP. You need a power meter, or other physical forms of hardware, to measure it. So by saying "there was this guy whow as getting to 130% TDP" is nothing more than you either hallucinating or being fictitious as you have no way to confirm how much power the GPU was drawing.
    • Up x 1
  3. Dragam

"Which is also fallacy. A GPU cannot exceed 100% load. 100% load means it is consuming the maximum measured amount of watts outlined by manufacturer specified TDP"

As stated in my previous post, the standard 100% power target is 180 watt for the gtx 680 - but you can set it to 132%, which lets it exceed the standard max TDP by quite a bit.
    Mod the bios, and you can let the Card eat as much as 300 watts, eventhough it will give your Card a quick death.

"I remember you wanting to believe people are experiencing 130% TDP.
    Fun fact, there is no piece of software available for commercial use that measures TDP. You need a power meter, or other physical forms of hardware, to measure it. "

Well... thats what the power target is based upon - watt usage measured on the pcb.
  4. Lavans

I'm not talking about manually adjusting the Power Target. I'm talking about leaving the Power Target at stock and allowing the drivers/BIOS to control it automatically.

So, I will reiterate and provide a little more clarification to what I'm about to say.
    Reiteration - Just because a card is exceeding 100% Power Target, that does not mean power draw is increased
    Clarification - This is in regards to stock settings. Again, if you notice, Power Target is increased when voltage is below manufacturer maximum.

Voltage * Amperage = Wattage
    If the Voltage is lower, which is typical when Power Target is increased at stock settings, then that means it has less power draw than when Voltage is increased.
  5. BlackDove

Lol i never claimed that power target was the same as TDP.where do you get this from?

And the person saying that they were at 130% TDP wasnt me by the way.

The GPU doesnt have sensors to measure power consumption and thermals of the card in real time?

So i guess GPU boost and your explanation of it were wrong? GPU boost doesnt allow you to set a "power target" based on those parameters? Lol!

Please make up your mind and stop contradicting yourself.
  6. Lavans

When did I say that the GPU doesn't have sensors that measures power draw?

Oh that's right, I never said anything about the GPU not having its own sensors :rolleyes:
    It must burn you up to be wrong yet again.
  7. Dragam

Lavans : usually youd be correct that voltage times amp = watt... but regarding gpu's, load of the different components play a major part - as does drivers.

"Reiteration - Just because a card is exceeding 100% Power Target, that does not mean power draw is increased"

Well... according to the bios info, that is exactly what it Means - without modding the bios, the 100% power target is 180 watt, and the max Draw allowed is 225 watt.
  8. BlackDove

You just proved my point for me again about the Voltage nonsense you were talking about. If the power consumption overall is increased because of the load, the Voltage would be lowered to keep the GPU within the manufacturers TDP(Wattage) limits.

Like i said, go read how GPU boost works. Its not the same as normal overclocking. It doesnt simply turn up the Voltage like someone overclocking their GPU would.

And no, i did notice how carefully you attempted to word your statement.

But it doesnt change the fact that mentioning that a piece of software isnt what measures the power consumption is completely pointless lol. Its just another instance of you attempting to distract people from the fact that you are incorrect.

Power consumption is physical in nature so of course it is measured with physical hardware.

Which is how GPU boost determines clock and voltage. Lol thanks for proving my points for me.
  9. Lavans

What nonsense are you ranting about now?
    Increasing voltage means increasing wattage. It's impossible to increase wattage while decreasing voltage.
  10. BlackDove

Wow ok. Go google the terms "power budget" and "dark silicon" and then get back to us when you understand how a modern computer chip works lol.

You might also want to read up on how TDP is actually calculated.
  11. Lavans

How about you post a few credited links to the subject matter you want me to research?
    In turn, I'll provide a few of my own.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Glossary/T/Thermal_Design_Power_(TDP).html
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article169-page3.html
    http://www.powerstream.com/Amps-Watts.htm
  12. BlackDove

Try linking the actual manufacturer or designers websites.

And you dont measure TDP with a meter. Power ratings are predefined values lol. Power consumption would be measured with a meter or thr onboard sensors(which is how the gpu with a boost feature determines if its exceeding TDP or not).

And you say im confusing terms when you say you measure a power rating with a meter lol!

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...3-1200v2-lga1155-thermal-guide.html?wapkw=tdp

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_product_literature.html

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-680
  13. Lavans

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/white-paper/resources-xeon-measuring-processor-power-paper.pdf
    And can anyone tell me how power draw (aka - consumption) is measured?
    Power meters! Yaaaaaaay.
  14. BlackDove

Lol you really must be confused.

TDP is how much power the CPU or GPU can use.

It is a PREDEFINED AMOUNT.

TDP is not REAL TIME POWER CONSUMPTION(% of TDP). Thats what you measure with a meter, NOT THE TDP ITSELF.

You already know the TDP of a CPU or GPU so what you ACTUALLY want to know is how much power its using, which can be done with a meter

Do you understand why you dont measure TDP with a meter? Its because its not a VARIABLE that needs to be measured. How much power is being consumed IS a variable that can be measured with hardware and displayed by software lol.

The Intel paper you quoted is explaining how they COME UP WITH THE TDP RATING! What variables they take into account when creating the predefined value called TDP.
  15. Lavans

Did I ever say anything else?
    Again, I see your attention span swaying ;)

Allow me to quote what I said
  16. BlackDove

I was referring to when you said:

"Fun fact, there is no piece of software available for commercial use that measures TDP. You need a power meter, or other physical forms of hardware, to measure it."
  17. Lavans

Then why did you quote post #153 instead of post #142?
    Regardless, I didn't say that TDP was dynamic in post #142 either.
    Either you're seeing things, or (once again) trying to falsify statements.
  18. BlackDove

It was that post.

And youre wrong. A CPU or GPU CAN EXCEED its TDP since TDP is calculated based on REAL WORLD application workloads and not power virus loads.

Why did AMD and Nvidia block Furmark and OCCTs power virus codes? So they could implement GPU boost and not have cards get damaged. They didnt block games codes, so those can still make a GPU exceed its TDP.

If the CPU or GPU is loaded by a power virus type load, it enables its self protection features. It would exhibit what we see with this game: high loads without effective utilization.

TDP is not the value you measure: power consumption is. You claimed you need a meter to measure TDP when TDP is a predefined limit. For my CPU its 95W. Thats the power rating. What % of that is a variable that you can measure. TDP is not.

Read what YOU wrote. Im not falsifying anything like you often do.
  19. Lavans

Please quote the post where I said they couldn't :)
  20. Octiceps

He said, she said. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Based on your post history, Lavans, I'd say you love to argue just for the sake of argument. After all, it takes two to tango.