please get rid of the scaleform ui menus!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, May 15, 2014.

1. BlackDove

Well, most people don't know how to, and they have all the wrong settings. I'm not used to dealing with people who know that they need to enable High Quality texture filtering because the defaults in most drivers and programs, or settings for just about anything electronic, are WRONG LOL.

Try telling someone their TV needs to be calibrated or that they need to enable Vsync etc. I didn't even know about the HDMI color space issue until last year! I made the INCORRECT assumption that no standard could be so stupidly written.

The screenshot you posted shows your GPU boosting, 96% TDP and playing the game on LOW you said. 96% power and 50% utilization indicates that the GPU isn't doing a whole lot of real work, but it's electrically loaded almost to its TDP.

That's not unusual for a bugged Scaleform menu though. Apparently it happens in a lot of games, but it usually gets fixed. This has been since launch, so either they don't care about fixing it, or they have TOO MUCH Scaleform UI stuff in the game.

It's also likely that it's causing a lot of the CPU bottleneck issues that happen in addition to the ones that occur because the game relies on one thread for a lot of stuff.
  2. Smagjus

So we have two different opinions on the boost then. I see it this way:

My GPU has three main power states: 2D, low 3D and actual 3D. Let's take adaptive vsync out of the equation, since I don't make use of it. When I play a game the GPU will enter the 3D mode. This means raising its clocks (in this case 1006MHz) and voltage. Due to the effect of voltage on the power draw the card will run at around 80% of its TDP.

Now there is GPU boost. My notion of it is that it works on top of the 3D mode. If the card stays within a certain temperature and TDP margin, the boost will "overclock" the GPU up to a certain point. The load on the GPU does not directly effect the boost clock. Therfor a load of 40% and 98% TDP wouldn't be a sign for a problem, it woud simply show that nothing is limiting the boost which is actually a good sign - that is my view, maybe I am wrong here but I have no reason to believe that yet.

In certain cases GPU boost can also be a protective measurement. But this is obviously not the case here.

So...
    You must have a completely different notion of GPU boost. Maybe you can prove me wrong with a source, if so, I wouldn't mind to get educated.
  3. BlackDove

The 670 uses GPU Boost 1.0, which is a Voltage limited boost. They implemented GPU Boost 2.0 which uses power and temperature to regulate boost clocks. As long as you have enough power to boost, it will, until it hits its throttle limit on GPU Boost 1.0, however.

And you can play a game like TF2, which doesn't require much power, but your clocks will still be over 1GHz, and the memory will be at 6GHz etc. The voltage will go up, but overall power consumption and utilization doesn't end up being anything like PS2's.

Why not? The actual power consumption in W varies depending on the actual load(what specifically the code is doing with the transistors on your GPU and RAM, and in what way).

Power viruses intentionally toggle transistors on and off rapidly to create an artificial load. Bad code can do something similar, producing a massive electrical load, while not "utilizing" the GPU much to do real work. Obviously SOE isn't intentionally using Scaleform UI menus to screw up their own game, but that's the effect it's having(and on various other games), and your GPU doesn't have to boost for it to have the issue, it's just more pronounced when you have boost causing the card to reach 100% TDP while doing basically very little work.

GPU Boost is a GREAT technology, but it's also a potential problem with power virus code. That's why a year before they released GK104, Nvidia(and AMD) blocked Furmark and OCCT code specifically, and throttled intentionally.

And I'll need a minute, because I'm pretty sure I went over it with links earlier in this 15 page thread lol. I know its been discussed somewhere in here with links.

Here's some of the ones I had linked to earlier.

https://tera-forums.enmasse.com/for...topics/TERA-UI-issues-still-unresolved?page=1

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...odesk_scaleform_hud_update_the_cause_massive/

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...now_theres_a_memory_leak_lets_figure_out_why/

It was actually us talking about it in this thread:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/fps-issues.190439/
  4. BlackDove

Anyway, the problem isn't GPU boost. There are other games that have these issues with bugged Scaleform menus. I'm not sure if the one in Blacklight Retribution is still there. It was that 2D login menu that you put your info into. It's literally nothing but a 2D Scaleform screensaver looking thing, and if you let it sit there, your fans will be spinning incredibly fast in a few seconds. However, the rest of the game's Scaleform menus DON'T do this. Leading me to believe that there's a way to bug a Scaleform menu to behave like a power virus.

This would seem to be similar to what's going on with the HUD, the map and the terminals loading the GPU to its TDP while not actually being well utilized.
  5. Smagjus

Are you sure about that? As far as I know a GPU contains computing units which are arranged in warps. A certain number of CUs forms a single warp. As long as a warp has active CUs, all CUs have to be active. You cannot toggle single CUs on and off. If a CUs runs out of tasks to do it simply keeps polling for new instructions.

That's what I read recently. Now from that I derive my understanding for a power virus. In an ideal world an application would load all available warps and all of its CUs with a homogenous load. But since games don't create this kind of load it is atypical and therfor an application creating such load qualifies as power virus.

Furmark was written with that in mind. The animation contains an enormous amount of repeated patterns and allows a seemingly unlimited amount of parallelization - perfect for loading a GPU to its absolute maximum.

If what I say is true, then a GPU miner like it is used for crypto currencies should also come close to a power virus. Those applications are written with the same mindset as Furmark. The difference is that the scrypt algorithm didn't follow these requirements. Instead the miner is simply a specific implementation of it. I will run some tests with the miners I have currently installed.
  6. BlackDove

7. Octiceps

None of my cards have boost/turbo and I've noticed that PS2 runs them 10-15C hotter under full load than any other game I own. This happens not just in the fullscreen menus but pretty much anywhere in-game where I get 99% GPU usage as Dragam noted per his screenshots earlier in this thread.

It's not a problem if you're always CPU-bottlenecked with low GPU utilization like I was before. But lately, the hitching and rubber banding caused by the HUD (it's been broken since PU01 at High/Ultra) have reached unplayable levels for me, so I've been forced to play with it turned off. Not only has this completely eliminated all CPU bottlenecks (and I really mean all of them) but my FPS has doubled to tripled, so now I've got the game maxed out at 1.33 Render Quality and it is actually smoother than before. However, the consequence is that now my GPU is at constant 99% utilization and the power virus-like nature of this game is really showing.

The power consumption and heat output in this game is just insane, never seen anything like it before.
  8. BlackDove

Neither have i. Not even furmark or occt can do what this game can. Too bad Nvidia doesnt throttle PS2 code lol.
  9. Lavans

That's basically the way boost is supposed to work.
    When the GPU has low usage, the power limit will increase until the GPU hits the boost frequency cap.
    Smagjus's GPU was probably at the maximum boost frequency during that screen shot, hence why the power target was hovering around ~96% instead ~100%.
  10. BlackDove

Theres a difference between low utilization and low electrical load. The low utilization with a high electrical load is a symptom of the issues with thr ui.

His GPU boost is working fine but its boosting to almost its max TDP with 50% utilization while most games would have a much closer ratio of power to utilization.
  11. Octiceps

It's not even just the UI. The whole game acts like a power virus any time it fully loads your GPU. The fullscreen menus are a really quick and easy way to ramp your GPU up to 99%, but the same kind of off-the-charts power and heat happens when you're in-game (for instance on Hossin, which is really heavy on the GPU).

On the other hand, the HUD and other non-fullscreen overlay elements are CPU-heavy and cause stuttering and drops in GPU usage and FPS. This is readily apparent in the drastic performance improvement I get with HUD turned off, or how the game suddenly becomes CPU-bound and extremely laggy on the score screen and death screen or when an Alert/continent domination notification pops up.

I hope that with the new Kriegshauser guy replacing Ryan Elam as Technical Director and the PMC (Performance Memory Crashes) initiative, we'll finally see these performance issues tackled since they are the biggest thing impacting QoL and enjoyment of the game for many people right now. In my eyes, it starts with the UI and HUD, since that was the biggest thing that was broken with O:MFG, which is kinda ironic given how they dedicated an entire episode to showing how they were dumbing it down to improve performance when it turned out to have the opposite effect.
  12. Smagjus

What I thought about while testing yesterday. You do mean both the HUD and the rest of the UI when talking about the UI or? Because during testing yesterday I noticed that the difference between activated UI on the new GTX 670 is seemingly nonexistant. If I was on the right track, then I would do some actual benches regarding that.
  13. BlackDove

What Octiceps said.
  14. Octiceps

HUD on:

[IMG]

HUD off:

[IMG]
  15. BlackDove

Instead of fixing the obvious issues with the ui they keep turning down the graphical quality.

And people keep posting "the game runs terribly on my high end system!" Or "my GPU is on fire!"
  16. Lavans

Something seems terribly wrong with what's going on in your system.

Not even on full ultra on a 48+/48+ biolab fight does my performance suffer as badly as yours. I'm almost always CPU bound in large biolab fights, with my FPS teetering between 40 and 50, regardless if the UI is on or off. The following shots were taken on Hossin, which people are claiming is terribly optimized ATM.

http://i.imgur.com/EM4C5U3.jpg - Max settings/Graphics Quality Medium/UI off - 42 FPS (CPU bound), 54% GPU Load, 84% Power Target

http://i.imgur.com/9Xd8Pbg.jpg - Max settings/Graphics Quality Medium/UI on - 43 FPS (CPU bound), 58% GPU Load, 72% Power Target

http://i.imgur.com/PnYi0y4.jpg - Full Ultra/UI Off - 56 FPS (CPU bound), 82% GPU Load, 92% Power Target

http://i.imgur.com/Dex3fYb.jpg - Full Ultra/UI On - 48 FPS (CPU bound), 83% GPU Load, 92% Power Target

Even when I go to the warpgate to get rid of the CPU bottleneck, disabling the UI does absolutely nothing as far as FPS, load, or power target.

http://i.imgur.com/oebJnaA.jpg - Full Ultra/UI Off - 65 FPS (GPU bound), 99% load, 97% Power Target

http://i.imgur.com/EhvyQ6e.jpg - Full Ultra/ UI On - 67 FPS (GPU bound), 99% load, 96% Power Target

For reference, my PC is currently running at stock speeds, with a stock i5-2500k and a stock GTX680.
    I've heard on these forums that SLI users experience more performance issues than non-SLI users. Perhaps there's some truth to that?
  17. Octiceps

Nothing wrong with my system, just the game.

Try comparing HUD on vs. off somewhere busier than an empty Bio Lab.
  18. Lavans

Then why does your system have a 20 FPS performance hit by simply enabling the UI, while mine does not?
    Playing the blame game isn't helping anyone.

Dude, the BioLab was a 48+/48+ battle, hence why I was CPU bound. Plus, your shots aren't exactly "busy" either.
    Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that the issue you're experiencing does not exist in my system. From what I can tell, we are using comparable parts, save for the fact you have multiple GPUs in your system while I do not.
  19. Octiceps

20. Lavans

It still doesn't change the fact that both in a CPU and GPU bound environment, the symptom is not experienced with the other players's systems.

I'm not denying the fact that the issue exists. But if the issue was caused exclusively from PS2, then -everyone- would have the issue, not some.