please get rid of the scaleform ui menus!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, May 15, 2014.

1. Smagjus

So you are saying that the menus not letting the GPU boost is because a safety measure is protecting the GPU from overheating? And this is the issue?
  2. Dragam

Not protecting against overheating, but preventing it from going over its stock power target of 170 watt.
  3. Octiceps

Yeah. Compared to the current PPAA implementation in this game, even basic SMAA 1x (which can be injected into just about any game) would provide much better AA without blurring textures and everything. Temporal SMAA such as T2x and 4x, as used in Crysis 3 and Watch Dogs, would be even more fantastic, but they can't be injected and would have to be coded into the game by the devs. Hell, if I were allowed to, I'd disable the built-in AA and inject SMAA in a hearbeat.
  4. Smagjus

I wonder if SweetFX users really get banned without a warning.
  5. BlackDove

Exactly. Lavans videos show his 680 hitting 100% power and 70C at 74% fan speed in the menus while actual utilization is lower than power. Indicates an atypical load that doesnt allow the GPU to do much actual work.
  6. BlackDove

Maybe this game isnt supposed to be sustainable. If their business model is unsustainable it wont last. Forgelight seems like a terrible engine so far.

Source engine is ancient and it looks infinitely better. Im also willing to spend thousands on games like TF2 but i think ive spent around $100 on PS2.

With the issue in this thread not having been fixed since launch, according to Octiceps it probably not being a priority, with the PC version "confirmed" to look worse than POS4, and wondering if the game will be on PC at all in a year, not willing to spend any more. Especially considering the official forums are disregarded.

There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful users on this forum and the games community is generally good but the lack of interaction, vague or outright false solutions like "delete all these files and hack your own computer to fix our game" or "its the new nvidia drivers fault(even though it black screened on ancient drivers after a specific game update), the countless overheating, crash to desktop, "my i7 and 780 is getting 2 fps" threads, its ridiculous.
  7. Smagjus

I wouldn't see it as atypical. If you look at this:
    (German again but only the table matters)
    Then we have 7 out 18 tested games that don't let the card boost to its maximum because of its powerlimit. In this particular test Planetside behaves better than Crysis 3 does.
  8. Dragam

Smagjus : aside of planetside 2, crysis 3 is perhaps the biggest power hog... but at least crysis 3's visual somewhat justifies the big power comsumption.
    Regardless of that, my personal findings are, that crysis 3 doesnt use nearly as much power as planetside 2 does.
  9. BlackDove

No we went over this aspect of the load.

The clock doesnt matter. Its the computational utilization of the GPU compared to the electrical load. The computational load isnt shown there. If Crysis isnt utilizing the GPU to actually do real work and its simply loading it electrically, THEN its exhibiting the behavior im talking about. But the chart doesnt show that.

Also that(and no chart ive ever seen) shows how the GPU utilization and electrical load changes when playing the game(would be a better test with all the 2D scaleform elements disabled) vs opening a menu.

We already established that opening a menu or terminal causes peoples GPUs to "heat up" etc in many threads.

And this is NOT the only game that has scaleform elements that exhibit this behavior.

Take this as another example and analyze it. Blacklight Retribution is FILLED with scaleform ui menus thst DONT do any of these things. Most of them work fine and the game renders behind them(i believe).

However, theres a little scaleform login screen where you put your info in(idk if its fixed now) that will have your GPU on fire and fans spinning like youre running Fire Strike or Winsat. Theres no apparent reason. Is like a flash webpage and i dont think the game even renders behind that particular screen.

Clearly theres some way to code(improperly) a scaleform element thats visually simplistic but can load a GPU arbitrarily to a ridiculous level.

Theres obviously a way to properly use them since not many games have these issues(and even a game that does has it in one menu but not the rest).
  10. Wreckcenter

They added these huge UI graphics in the most recent update. Now the game is unplayable for me. I used to average 40 fps, now it's about 10. It takes a full 30 seconds to switch classes; and if I do that at a Sundy, I'm vulnerable for 30 seconds, as it just sits there, unable to do anything, while everyone shoots me. I'm dead before it can load the stupid UI screen.

Windows 7
    2.2GHz Core i7
    8GB RAM
    Radeon HD 6750M
  11. BlackDove

Oh i cant wait to log in, get my certs and log off again until they fix it lol.
  12. Octiceps

You mean the centralized HUD? For some reason, that got enabled by default after today's patch. Having it on slaughters performance, just like the rest of this game's bloated UI. That's why I use the normal HUD. Better visibility and better FPS.

Funny observation. The fullscreen menus, e.g. terminals, are a GPU power virus, while the HUD and score screen are the exact opposite. They are make the game CPU-bound and decrease GPU usage. Very easy to test. Just unlock your frame rate and go to an empty Warp Gate. Press TAB to open the score screen and watch your FPS magically cut in half and flip from (GPU) to (CPU). o_O

Yeah same. SOE somehow managed to make my frame rate even worse with this patch. Lagging all over the place. Taking a break until Hossin or performance getting fixed, whichever comes first. :mad:
  13. BlackDove

Yeah i logged in after the 200MB patch and the map icons were all bunched together and then the game disappeared with no error message. Guess itll be broken for a while.
  14. Octiceps

This is why I can't play with HUD on. The UI slaughters my FPS and also causes severe hitching and rubber banding at High or Ultra settings. Medium and below are fine, but the graphics look butt-ugly. It literally looks like my player is warping back and forth as he's running unless I disable HUD. And bringing up the score screen instantly changes the game from GPU-bound to CPU-bound.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. BlackDove

Hopefully theyll stop changing the steering, making right click the revive buttons or other useless changes and actually FIX IT.
  16. Smagjus

I got a new GTX 670 :D

[IMG]

Settings at low, shadows on, render distance at 1000 meters, 48 ppl biolab fight.
  17. BlackDove

WTF!? 96% TDP on LOW with 55% GPU utilization!?

Time to reduce power target and set a custom fan curve! 78C is way too hot for a brand new 670.

That's ridiculous lol. What brand of card did you get?
  18. Smagjus

Palit Jetstream. I don't care about 80/90°C since it will be sold as soon as maxwell reaches the consumer market. The fan curve is edited, everything else is at stock.
  19. BlackDove

20. Smagjus

I know how to setup a driver and I know which cable to use.

What I am wondering about: What about the screenshot I sent is unusual? Maybe you have missed that I edited the fan curve - I obviously reduced the speed, not the opposite.

Here is some more:
    http://imgur.com/a/J30yp

Both screenshots:
    Settings at high/ultra

1st screenshot: Max powertarget with fans at max - this model has an awful fan noise
    2nd screenshot: Stock with lowered fan curve.