Planetside 2 Keeps Crashing, Tried Everything

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ComradePuppy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. GenericWhite

Yea you'ed think, but It could still be related.
    In particular a 32bit application running on a Windows 64bit OS runs in WOW64 mode still using 32bit addressing internally so my theory of a 32bit addressing problem might still be right.
    Plus maybe even crowding the space more with additional WOW64 system DLLs.

Hopefully they will pass this idea on to the coders.
    The hard truth is such things shouldn't be that hard to fix at all!
    I assume at least at one time they had some sort of automated bug reporting system turned on.
    They just need to include these fatal crashes and send back with probably the most basic information (the exception code, the module and the address).

Incidentally and Ironically, I've been wanting to get back into game dev after a long absence and I'm pretty sure Sony would just throw my Resume right into the circular file (aka the trash), not even getting past go by the "educated" HR person.
    Since I lack any of those official bold calligraphy printed, gold foil star stamped, glassed frames to hang on my wall the the establishment almost unilaterally requires these days.
    I got my only degree from the "University of Hard Knocks"; self taught, screw theory, learn by actually doing, establishment be damned, practical school of thought and applied science.
  2. Zolton34

Heh same problem i can play for a random amount of time and it randomly crashes straight to desktop without an error and other times it does crash with an error. I certainly hope they get this fixed asap. I really like the game but with these crashes it is absolutely unbearable to play. This kind of problem will generally send most players running and screaming. I'm not sure how common this problem is. But if the devs have no idea what it is maybe a sticky at the top to allow players experiencing these problems to post their system specs might help to find the problem. Just a thought.
  3. PresidentFreeman

I never used to crash, but now it seems to whenever I alt-tab. Only since the last update.

The best part of which is that the game has developed a tendency to alt-tab itself for no reason, which of course plays perfectly into a crash.

I guess when this game screws up it doesn't mess around.
  4. Buster1651

5. 15TB

I have Win7 32-bit, so...maybe that trick GenericWhite was talking about will work. Thing is, I have 8GB RAM installed instead of 4. Would that change things?
  6. Strikejk

I encoutered the same problem long ago, heavy lag into freeze into crash. Sadly I can't remember how it was fixed but I'm pretty sure it was thru a patch or beta nvidia drivers. A few weeks later I switched to AMD (upgrade) since then I never had this problem again. Good luck buddy!!
  7. Octiceps

Oh heck yes. In fact, ditch 32-bit altogether and reinstall Windows 7 64-bit ASAP. I don't know how you can stand running 32-bit with 8GB RAM, as it can only utilize 4GB combined RAM and VRAM by default. So depending on how much VRAM your GPU has, 5GB or more of your system RAM is going to waste.
  8. 15TB

You're right. Even though the 32-bit OS works fine my needs(currently), a 64-bit OS would be A LOT better since it can handle more RAM than the 32. Sometime in the future I'll have it installed. ;)
  9. daniel696

The game is cheap, let's wait for the optimization
  10. Gritmo

UPDATE:

updating my NVidia drivers fixed the crashes as far as I can tell. The game also runs at a smooth 30+ fps with all the graphics features on full (except one).
  11. Shadowfire9113

When i press play on this game 1 person from every base comes up and then my computer frezes i dont know what to do
  12. RB-377

I really hope they figure this out, same thing keeps happening to me... :p
  13. TomoB

Seems that I can't alt-tab and check my IM or anything anymore as this pile of... crashes with 90% propability. Graaahhhh.
  14. Shamrock

I have now officially given up, pretty much tried everything, been playing for months with the occasional crash but at the moment the game is unplayable, my system just hangs constantly when playing PS particularly on equipment terminals and the map UI screens.

I dont have a low end system though i will be upgrading a few key components soon to coincide with optimisation patch.

I love this game, and i think it is just a disgrace that it is so badly put together that I simply cannot play.
  15. ZerpyDerpDerp

Having the same issue. Just CTD about ten minutes ago, after an hour of playing. Happened before that, same night, after about ten minutes of playing. Obviously on SOE's end. Not heat related, my temp graph isn't showing any spike. Not hardware related, I don't have a monster system, but I also only play on medium with most goodies turned off.

Happening to people with specs that can barely play PS2 and people who can eat PS2 for breakfast. I have i7 870 OC'ed to 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, GT 640, win7 x64, plenty of cooling. Not a monster, but this on medium shouldn't be killing me.

Most of the people here beat the minimum reqs by a long shot. It isn't on our end. Happening to AMD systems, to Intel systems, AMD cards, Nvidia cards... I suggest SOE look in to hiring better coders.
  16. Sekratas

When I first played at launch, crashing wasn't a problem, but then, when I started again a year later, it starts to crash, planetside is getting worse and worse, and then when I updated my driver, it crashes every 20 minutes or so..... , SOE will probrably just carry on like they used to, and hopefully the optimisation patch fixes most of our issues...
  17. MilanHakl

I can play Battledield 3, Dead Island Riptide, Team Fortress 2, and anything on my PC for extended periods of time. Its a planetside thing If it keeps crashing in 5 minutes of starting the game
    • Up x 1
  18. Thegibblescast

GUYS I FIXED IT
    ================================
    This solved the seemingly random crashes for me and some of my friends:
    Locate your install directory and go /resources/assets then DELETE Assets_157.pack!

When you start the launcher after this it will re-download the asset pack (40~MB).
    After it's finished go ahead and validate your game files by pressing the wrench icon on the bottom left side of the launcher.

It seems the GU11 update somehow corrupted this assetpack for some players. Also me and my friends had different kinds of crashes but this method solved it for all of us.

Goodluck!
  19. SCVinyl

Yup, after using nVidia for 2-3 years now, it's definitely time for a change.
  20. Sky_collapsed BL

My game has been crashing lately too. It is getting annoying really, I get about an hour to 70-80 minutes of gameplay before it crashes.

It crashed on me just than and I was having a good game, was rolling a 2.7kd got myself into some good and fun battles than it crashed and I didn't feel like re-opening the game.

I'll be the first to admit, that my system is kinda weak; I just don't have the money to uprade atm otherwise I would. I run everything low and close down all un-needed applications to free up RAM, so it's not crashing due to lack of ram and it just crashes to desktop with no error code or anything.

I'm on I7 950 HD 5770 6Gig ram, so while it isn't a very stronk system I don't think my crashes are due to RAM issues or even over heating..