Planetside 2 Keeps Crashing, Tried Everything

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ComradePuppy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Drefin

ManiaDaWiz is 100% correct, this is a problem on SOE's end and we just have to wait and see if they're going to find a solution. Also, when i CTD my the game begins to get choppy but i dont drop to 5-6 frames like a lot of others have, i drop down to like 30-40 with extra choppiness down from 80-100, then within minutes im back at my CTD. Lowering my settings does nothing but make the game run worse by a few frames which makes NO sense. I'm surprised that they allowed their game to run rampant with errors for so long when we the players, warned them that the game was not ready for release. They should give out free months of premium or 1000 SC for the inconvenience over the past few months.
    • Up x 1
  2. PhatJay

Same issues here CTD 3 - 4 times an hour and getting worse with every patch.
  3. Neritus

Well - despite upgrading to a rig able to run Planetside 2, I still cannot play the game comfortably. In BETA I would lead squads for entire nights with no issues - just frame issues - on my gaming laptop. I stopped playing in January when it became clear I could no longer do what I wanted in the game because you can't lead a squad if you're crashing every 15 minutes. I built a rig I thought would be robust enough to handle whatever PS2 threw at it, with the hopes of learning all the changes and getting back into a position of leadership. Turns out PS2 still hasn't looked at performance in any meaningful way. Now they've announced 'OMFG', which seems great but - "experimental changes" - really? Shouldn't you guys know where to look for problems by now with so many support tickets pointing out the hardware that has difficulty running the game?

i5 4670
    8gb ram
    MSI GTX 760
    Samsung 120mb SSD

Frustrated, loyal Planetsider.
  4. MajiinBuu

My laptop uses integrated graphics, no crashes for me :D
    Not really my framerate is terrible.
  5. Bastion_K

I'm seeing this problem now after the small update that went out today.(I believe it was about 40M in size). The game now crashes within 5 minutes of getting into game play regardless of what I'm doing.

I've updated my video drivers and used the validation tool in the advanced settings with no change. The game was running fine last night (prior to whatever update was pushed today obviously).
  6. Drowingpool

The new patch is FUBAR /ROLLBACK SOE.... You know how to do that right? (Not like I been a paying member since everquest came out and all and I played and PAYED on WINDOWS ME)... Fix Your game please....
  7. tanlar

I played for 3 hours and then took a dinner break for 1 hour. When i started launcher i saw there was a small update and now i crash to desktop 3 to 4 min after entering game. Its the same for 3 different toons on 3 different servers!
  8. NOTHAN

After patch... still crash at exit of game
    So no change.
  9. lemoncurry

same here, without exception the game will crash 50% of the time at 68% of loading bar after i press Logout. on the rare occassion it actually gets me to character selection screen it without exception always and everytime crashes when i press Exit. this is happening ever since i started playing, i haven't had a one exiting of the game that would not be a crash in fact.
  10. ohsix

after last update I was crashing within minutes of starting the game as others described which I had never experienced with such frequency. game became unplayable. found this and didn't expect it to work but it did http://www.overclock.net/t/1387395/planetside-does-your-game-keep-crashing-heres-a-quick-fix
    (I didn't want to delete the files so I just copied them to a new folder)

says:
    If your game keeps crashing do this:
    Quote:
    Run your Planetside 2 Launchpad and log in, but do not press play. Click on the Advanced Tools icon (looks like a hexagon surrounding a wrench) in the lower left and then choose the option to open game directory. In the window/folder that comes up, locate and delete the following files

ActivityUserData.ini
    InputProfiles.xml
    LaunchPad-user.ini
    LoadingScreen.xml
    PlanetSide2.exe
    SoundSettings.xml
    UserOptions.ini
    vivoxoal.dll
    vivoxsdk.dll

Once these files are deleted, close the Planetside 2 window/folder and go back to the Launchpad > Advanced Tools/Settings menu. Click on the Validate Game Assets menu option and then press the green Validate button to have the Launchpad check your game files, and download any missing or corrupt files.

As the moderator said this is a standard procedure to stop crashes that are caused by corrupt data files.
    Quote:
    Crashing can be caused for a variety of different factors, so it's had to definitively say what's triggering it without cracking open your computer and seeing what's inside - the above fix is issued for crashes that seem to be caused from corrupt data files.

So, yeah, it would be a generic troubleshooting step, but it's important to be able to say none of the game's files are corrupt.

source
  11. Bastion_K

I did take these steps as well, It did not fix the problem for me.
  12. Neritus

Ehrrrm - tried these steps as well to no avail! Hoping for a solution - was excited to return to the game and this issue has made the game unplayable.
  13. Jomar

I believe this game is still in beta until after PS4 release...
  14. Ashur

Same problem.

Game used to run perfectly fine until a few patches ago, I've changed nothing since then. Now I can't play for more than 5 minutes without the game going to 1 FPS for a second, freezing then crashing without any error report.

I've tried reinstalling, validating files, updating drivers and all the solutions here, not a single thing worked. Again, the game used to run perfectly fine on high for me before, not a single crash, then after some patch (I think it was the air balance one) I've gotten stuck with the crash issue.
  15. CaptainAmeda

since the last update, I've had crashing and an fps drop.
    ;{
  16. 15TB

Problem with me is the same pretty much. Log in, play, after 5-10 minutes shuts down and bring me to my desktop. Hardware is fine. Thinking it's just a gnat(bug) on SOE's end, and if so, hope they'll fix it soon. :confused:

P.S: AHHH!!!!
  17. 15TB

Actually, here's another idea(have no proof, it's just an idea): Would the wireless connection router have somethin' to do with this CTD stuff?
    Again, it's only an idea...
  18. Octiceps

It really feels like there is a memory leak somewhere. This has got to be the most crash-prone game I have ever played. It's a shame because it's one of my favorite games ever when it's working properly.
  19. GenericWhite

For Windows 7 32bit the following fix worked for me.
    I read this some place else that I don't have the link for anymore; I think someplace else on the forum.

From an elevated command console:
    bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072
    Then reboot.

To get it back to the default just:
    bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA

Then reboot.

What this does is move the process memory space limit from 2GB to 3GB.
    I happen to have 4GB (with ~3.5GB available).
    Ever since I did this PS2 crashes happen very seldom now.
    Before the client would crash randomly all the time anywhere from around every 5 to 30 minutes
    of non-crash time.

Being a software developer my self and former game programmer (say "Hi" to T-Ray for me, he knows me) here is some info for Sony devs:
    A) It's probably a general problem with your Engine that you use over several games because when
    I attempted to play "DC Universe™ Online" last month (gave up on even trying after) the same thing happened, I couldn't get beyond the first screen or two.

When the game crashes it just dumps out to the desktop.
    IMHO this is a major faux pas for professional software development.
    Maks me wonder what kind of exception/crash handling the engine has if any at all.
    Shouldn't there be at least some kind of message box that comes up and says long the lines of "... The game had a fatal crash error code XXX .. " before dumping out rather then a complete mystery?

B) I have no problem with any other game I play on my machine period. I've played dozens over the last few months and none of them had any unusual/constant crashes.

C) After a crash a file "outofmemory.txt" appears.
    This is your dump of allocations and stats for the games memory allocation system.
    An interesting point is that it says in the stats:
    "PeakSystemMemAllocated: 1121845248"
    Or just a tad over 1GB. Even before the 3GB switch thing fix the task manager told me I have over 2GB free; so it should have been plenty to run the 1GB the game requires.

Now what I expect might be an issue here is that the game wants to be able to allocate, and, or expand one or
    more large contiguous allocations.
    If you know a typical Windows PC memory layout over the normal 2GB space you have only so many contiguous blocks available; with the system DLLs mostly residing at the end; with ASLR somewhat randomizing things, etc.
    It would at least explain why this "IncreaseUserVA 3072" fix works because it's essentially allowing the 32th bit (similar or might be the same effect of the PAE switch) greatly expanding the contiguous address space available for large allocation(s), and, or, ones that could be expanded (via "realloc()" type calls et al). Finally, more of a guess, the way the game crashes directly to the desktop I'd say this is of the "fatal error" type one might see with such a memory/allocation error.
  20. Octiceps

Yeah that's a pretty common solution for people running 32-bit OSes who want to increase the usable memory for a game, but most people here are rocking 64-bit OSes and more than 4GB RAM and still get frequent crashes.