Maintenance - 4/21

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Raxxyl, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishbus

Is amazing how much hate people are giving the devs for every little nick about the game, Its a massive game that needs constant care. Sometimes **** breaks - and sometimes its not easy to tell why it broke or how. The guys who made this are friggin geniuses that stretches technology to new heights. And all people can do is whine -FOR SHAME-

I think people who loose their **** and complain over this situation can get out in my opinion.
    And those who are calling it a pay to win game should really reconsider playing another. Ive only paid for cosmetic stuff because i like to look cool and i want to support the game, but all gear i have is from certing, and i still have a 1.6 KD rate.

its clear that anyone who hops in can earn enough certs to unlock good gear in fast pace. Without any boosters i make around 150 - 400 certs per day which is more than enough to work up for a weapon unlock you want. To really work for your gear makes them way more valuable. No weapon is better than another, its just that they are good for certain situations. Its up to the player to make sure to stay in the right situation best suited for his equipment and you will be able to rake kills regardless = not a pay to win game. Make your self useful for your team and you get rewarded. Simple as that.
    • Up x 4
  2. Drglord

No one is bringing up any servers mates just because they show up doesn;t mean you can log on ... Relax no way it would only take them 6 hours.
  3. Michiel van Huijstee

it's up again! Don't be mad if you already knew, (what you probably did).:)
  4. Silverbloodfang

All the servers are up now.
  5. Drglord

Or you could listen to the guy that said they would be up in 10 minutes by looking in his crystal ball (that was 20 minutes ago)
  6. opti2000

Well great half the time of my exp booster for today is now gone.

Do we get a compensation for the time?
  7. LegatusAger

Is Briggs up yet?
  8. Mormomboy

hahaha lol
  9. zomboy

Connery is down again.
  10. ItzMugen

11. EazyDuzIt

Still crashing between continents... totally ridiculous. Get it together SOE.
  12. Model299

Actually, I agree with you. In the beginning with Planetside the Sony game had solved a lot of issues with network latency in order to make this kind of game possible. At the time, the only other people developing this kind of system were working for American Online as a part of the Airwarrior 2 project. Online gaming had taken a step forward with the development of Planetside.

Planetside 2 was also a giant leap forward, because it utilized the same network technologies with a gameplay environment that was ten times larger and made use of current gaming display and small computer memory technologies.

The impact of consoles on the PC gaming market is undeniable, as people tend to only develop cross-platform technologies these days, in order to sell the greatest number of copies of the software. This has pretty much eliminated all kinds of flight and combat simulators for the PC, as they are not profitable to develop only for the PC. The PC is the only system that currently offers the input devices needed to create simulations.

So, the market that SOE is catering to is absurdly difficult. SOE is not creating a simulation but instead a kind of online sport, and so the goal of planetside has always been to maintain perfect balance.

With perfect combat balance, there are not combat tactics, and all creative strategies for winning have therefore been excluded from play. Case in point are the ESF systems. Air combat on earth has never been balanced, and not once in all of the history of flight have nations in conflict used air combat tactics that were balanced. This is because there have historically always been differences in the technology of flight that either enhanced to diminished the efficiency of various airframes in combat. Tactics exist in order to create advantages out of the differences in technologies and weapon systems that are created on the leaded edges of research. Perhaps when flying machines were very young, air combat was relatively balanced and simple, as people were flying biplanes with machine guns mounted over the windscreen.

My point is, that hardly any of the gameplay enhancements that can be purchased create effective tactical imbalances that allow us to think about how we are playing. Some systems in the game have no counter, for example: I can use an MBT with a fully upgraded G-40F Flak Cannon while engaging a liberator. At higher altitudes, there is no way for this or any ground unit to effectively engage the liberator beyond scratching it's paint. As a result, players are very likely to see a lot of liberator pilots that have extremely high battle ranks, a statistic which the recent changes to air-to-air weapons only offset more extremely.

In a nutshell that is the primary complaint. Players are not allowed to use creative solutions to video game combat in order to win, and some of the existing weapon systems in the game have caused the loss of intensity in combat that the developers are trying to address. If the aircraft, vehicles, and weapon systems were properly offset then it would not be as easily possible to create large groups of roving liberators that easily capture entire continents with no resistance.

It's not meaningful to play a game that a player does not have the ability to play in an optimally distinctive way, and be successful. The concept of perfect balance has created the gameplay issue that most people are addressing, and the main reason that people cheat in order to be successful instead.

TheCloneRanger

• Up x 2
  13. equinub

Back up again, 90-120 players online atm.

Server has that dead feel about it.
  14. Chipay

A little knick? A LITTLE KNICK?!
    Oh come on man, who are you kidding? Briggs players can't log into their servers for months, people can't switch continents, they are having ridiculous high ping, 3 times has 64bit been implemented and 3 did they have to pull it out of the game again because it caused major issues. This game is unplayable for a lot of people at the moment and on top of it all, the servers just died today. If you think that this is acceptable for a company that has been running MMO's for 15 years and makes billions of money a year, then you sir, can stick a pine cone up your rear get out via the same door your pointing at.

It's a ******* disgrace how people like you can keep on defending SOE with what has been going on. if there was any competition, ANY, it would have easily blown this game away from the internet, this is not a quality product, this game has more stability issues than any other AAA game out there and the population just keeps dropping every month. I sure hope SOE gets its **** together because I'm more than a little bit financially invested in this game and I don't want my money i paid them being spend at an incompetent and shrinking team that the PS2 dev team is.
    • Up x 3
  15. Alyz

The cloak works perfect anywhere with a background that has no straight edge and even better yet if it is moving.
    Sitting cloaked in the corner (straight edges) is by far the worst hiding place against anyone actually looking for an infiltrator.
    It is a good hiding place if people are in a rush and not paying attention, but in that case a cloak only improves the hiding, most often it would work even without a cloak because people might see you, but not notice you unless you're moving.

If you want to become actually "invisible", even to people actually looking for you (not with darklights) you need to hide between gras and bushes, because these don't have straight edges and they hide your steady motion (even turning with deep cloak can give away your position to a good observer).

Two examples of how fun stalker cloak can be, if used with this advice:
    In the first week after the introduction of the stalker cloak, I sat in a small bush right in the path of a whole platoon while they were attacking a base. They ran straight through me - everyone could SEE me, but they didn't NOTICE me because nobody expected an infi there. It was quite amusing but also frightening having all those people including maxes running straight through me.

Another place, same week I captured a point as stalker and a whole squad went looking for me. I killed some with mines, some with my gun, so they KNEW I was there. Using darklight wasn't popular just yet so they started to fire rounds in every corner. But I wasn't hiding in a corner but in some grass in front of a tree right next to them. They couldn't see me because I chose the right background to my cloak. They really tried to find me, but they were only left with guessing where an infi could hide so close to the CP.

So, hiding inside a building from someone actually expecting a cloaked infi is virtually impossible, because they look in the right places and they notice your silhouette against the straight edges of the walls. It's also a huge psychological thing. A squad sometimes doesn't notice an infiltrator because they focus on easy to spot but fast targets like LA or HA. After the heavy fight, a single person looking for an infiltrator is in a different mode of mind, looking for small glitches, searching for hard to spot but slow targets.

Simple advice: Don't hide inside the building of interest, but outside. Not far away but close enough to easily return.
  16. JorgeSarcos

My game is freezing when i log on a third character (log on 1st for the certs: GOOD, log on 2nd for the Certs: GOOD, log on 3th to play: FREEZE) and when i change continents too :(
  17. Oguska

So in the end of the Downtime, we got Rolled Back to 32bit again! YAY!

[IMG]
  18. MissRhippete

Friends of me are playing (same server, same faction) without any trouble. When I try to play the game freezes nearly immediately when Im in the map screen and crashes instantly. Tried several times already. Before the emergiency maintenance I got disconnected every now and then, at least I was able to play :p. This isnt fun anymore..
  19. Nakor

And yet the infinite boost bug remains. Lol
  20. Excelsior

since we're all asking questions, can i have some free station cash?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.