Maintenance - 4/21

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Raxxyl, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pouncey

Just wanted to mention that light travels at roughly 300,000,000m/s. So at light speed, your journey back down to Auraxis would have taken about 0.0013 seconds (and incidentally would have annihilated the planet).
  2. ACDC

Indeed ! ( Like a bullet shot into a Balloon.).
  3. Wobberjockey

actua
    actually, assuming a 75 kg mass (150 lbs give take) at C, you are looking at
    3,370,331.9 TJ , roughly 14 times the energy of the largest nuclear device ever detonated on the planet earth.

and nowhere near the amount of energy necessary to vaporize a planet.
  4. cruczi

Who said anything about vaporizing
  5. Pouncey

I think I used the word annihilate...

Would the environmental effects from such a large explosion at least doom all life? Well, okay, all human life?
  6. Wobberjockey

considering that objects generally impact the earth need to be 100m across to even leave a crater, and thus significantly impact life on a global scale, no.

that said, such impacts would be locally devastating. a 50 m object is thought to have airburst over tuskunga.

an extinction level event would likely be in the kilometer range.

ofcourse these are heavy iron rocks... consicerring the speed... a human body and the drop pod would likely , laporize absorbing the vast majority of impact energy, and the remainder would penetrate deep into the planet.
  7. Rented

ANY amount of mass at the speed of light has an infinite amount of energy and is more than capable of destroying a planet... a solar system... a galaxy ... and basically the entire universe in an expanding sphere of raw energy traveling at .... the speed of light. The simplified physics equation of E= .5mv^2 does NOT apply to objects at relativistic speeds. At near the speed of light the effects would vary depending on the exact fraction of the speed of light achieved, ranging between an incredibly powerful thermonuclear explosion, blowing a crater through the planet's crust, or indeed vaporizing the planet.

Relevant-
    https://what-if.xkcd.com/20/
  8. Wobberjockey

i stand corrected. i should not late night physics.
  9. Pouncey

The original fraction given was greater than 1/1, as they said something like, "broke the speed of light" while descending back to the planet from an altitude of 400,000m.
  10. Vanguard 2

Does anyone still have the problem where the game crashes a few secs after opening it? I still do after 6 days (it started on the update on the 16th)
  11. Jerox

Oh that's what you meant, yeah then you're right.
  12. Magicool

13. Dalt Wisney

A black screen is not a positive proof for travelling faster than light... May be Jean-Luc just forgot to say 'On screen!'...
  14. sagolsun

If you want to travel at c, you need infinite energy to do so. You can get pretty close though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh-My-God_particle
    0.9999999999999999999999951 c
    A single proton with the energy of a baseball travelling at 100kmph. Add two nines and you have a truck instead of a baseball. Couple more and you've got an ocean liner...

In theory, if you'd keep adding more nines after the zero, you'd eventually end up with a single particle that has enough energy to destroy a planet. You wouldn't reach light speed though - that requires infinite energy.
  15. Atenson

**WEIRD TRICK I FOUND TO REDUCE CONTINENT CRASHING**

From a world terminal, go to the VR. You will crash, but when you log back in, you should be able to move freely to & from any continent.

So yesterday's MAINT didn't fix my continent crashing which, until I discovered this trick, happened 100% of the time when I switched from Any continent to Any continent. I obviously don't know if this will fix the problem for everyone, but it worked for me & all of my squad members who were experiencing the continent crash.

Good luck & SOE, its ridiculous that people have to do things like this to get a primary feature of the game working.
  16. Aelyn

So when can we expect the warp crashing to be fixed? They keep introducing new bugs with rushed patches, and it takes ages to fix them. They've done a lot of bad stuff to this game, and if they want to change that the slightest, they should begin with talking more with the community. It's so much more annoying when you don't even know what's going on or if they're even working on a solution.
    A quick "Hey, Planetside 2 community. As you may know, there's been a bug with warping between continents for a few days now. The problem is caused by.../We don't know what's causing it... We're working on a solution, but unfortunately we don't have an ETA for when it's gonna go live. Thanks for your patience" is well enough. But no... instead, we get complete silence.
  17. SirJMD

Reason why they don't seem to care: Money machine.
  18. seffard

Bunch of geeky weirdos starting to talk about light and stuff. Unless you are correcting ret*rds or children, the light speed reference was figurative and all that talk is dispensable.

Now about bugs, Iv been having crashes after redeploying to another continent.
  19. TheHotStuff

99 bugs in the code!

99 bugs in the code!

Take one down, patch it now,

131 bugs in the code!
    • Up x 1
  20. Alyermons

I just want to mock the people really quick who do not understand how hard your job is:

"So what are you doing to fix this? How about quit eating the brains of lions to gain the wisdom of the sun and try something more in the technological age to fix this problem?"

Okay, just kidding. Had to get that out of my system :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.