K/D shouldn't matter to you

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pie Chasm, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MFP_TK_01

Well aren't you a special little snowflake. Doesn't change the fact that you are a scrub Max who assumes that any old engineer within 10' of you should automatically attach himself to your *** like a bottomfeeder in a fish tank. Sorry son, I got 99 other problems running on that battlefield and you ain't one. Join a group and make friends.
  2. ChicoFuerte

If KDR is removed, some other stat would be the basis for determining a player's skill. Some players are going to try and inflate that number artificially while some players are going to really just be that good. My KDR is a direct reflection of my infantry to infantry skill. It's not the best, and it's not the worst.

But the main theme of these "KDR BAD" posts is that it's an either/or situation.

Like if you're an engineer and you're killing it with your turret or carbine. ORYou fix a MAX unit and get no kills.

Why not do both?

I play Medic. I kill AND heal/revive.

When I play Engineer, I'm running ammo, repairs, getting kills, laying mines, turrets, hunting sunderers. Why not push yourself to do all of it?

These ****** posts by ****** players are so aggravating. It's like they're saying you're not valuable because you have to pick 1 of the list above and do that and do that well, instead of being proficient at every facet available to your class.

If everyone played like how OP describes in their either/or situations, you'd have 5 Engineers doing 1 of the multiple class assets available. 1 does Ammo. 1 does repairs. 1 just kills. 1 lays mines. 1 just man's a turret. 5 Engineers doing the job that 1 good player can do.

I'd much rather have a single player with a 2 or 3 KDR than 5 separate ****ties with 0.5 KDR and their own "teamplay playstyle." Because honestly, every extra friendly on the field that doesn't really need to be there is just cannon fodder and I'd much rather have them be able to defend themselves well, than to have 1 person kill both of us.
    • Up x 3
  3. Pie Chasm

I'm a scrub MAX because my icon corresponds to the symbol of the MAX?

How do you even know I play MAX? Maybe I don't. Maybe I primarily play HA, or something not even related to MAX (I barely play MAX, actually.. my Engineer has more certs, my HA/Medic fully certed).

Well you wouldn't know anything about infantry anyway, you're a scrub aircraft.
  4. EvilJollyT

Very well put. The OP should learn to play in my opinion. It is perfectly possible to combine support and combat roles and be very effective at both.

Also, 95% of players that moan about K/D as a stat are horrible players. It stands to reason that they hate it. They tend to come up with some kind of "yeah, well I'm always the first person through the door" BS as if that excuses being terrible. Here's a newsflash........ I'm often first through the door as well, but it's usually not the obvious, camped door and I usually have 15 of my outfit mates right behind me as well.

Running into instant, guaranteed death IS NOT helping your empire or your cause. Watching your respawn screen is the single worst thing you can be doing to "help" your empire and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
    • Up x 1
  5. Rabbitofdoom

Can't say i care much about K/D but i would like to have a high threat kills stat. It would provide much better insight in to player skill factor. K/D can be fairly easily padded if you have right tools for it.
  6. MFP_TK_01

Oops, guess Pie can't handle the truth. Poor guy.
  7. Giggily

Look dude, either you're doing exactly one thing as an infantry class or you're exclusively in one vehicle or aircraft. That's just how the game works. It's impossible to cert out multiple classes and vehicles and have basic proficiency at all or even several aspects of gameplay. Similarly, you are either a team player or a no good farmer. It's impossible to both try to kill people shooting at you AND try to play a support role or push objectives.

Don't even get me started on people who have the tenacity to just shoot at enemies and try to kill as many of them as possible. When will they learn that there's no point in trying to kill anyone at all?!
    • Up x 1
  8. Axehilt

That obviously not what the OP is referring to.

There are pretty clearly some areas where the game's stat systems (and even 3rd party sites) fail to showcase which players are really helping their empire claim territory. This ranges from obvious (there simply aren't great stats which differentiate meaningful caps from ghostcaps) to less obvious (there are ways of farming a high score/hour without really putting meaningful work in to help your empire.)

The OP is clearly referring to players who focus on K/D while sacrificing other things, resulting in a weaker contribution to their empire.
  9. Corporate Thug

You can't really prove that 95% of the people who dislike having K/D are horrible players. There is some logic behind these arguments you know. Also being first through the door with an outfit behind you is what you should do, you will get revived and support. If it was a choice to simply remove K/D then I would say please remove to benefit everyone, but I much rather have it as an option that you can turn on and off as well as other rewards and statistics tracked that are more meaningful to planet side 2. Game specific awards/statistics aren't anything new and shouldn't be too much to ask for. Some simply do want K/D removed but that is being naïve, but more plausible than SOE making gameplay meaningful.
  10. Giggily

Hello, ghost capping doesn't get you nearly as much XP/min as just running around shooting people. Also I am probably one of those people who focus on K/D because the other day while some other people in my outfit were sitting on the point I ran outside and was shooting at dudes trying to get into the building with the UBGL and I wasn't on the point, and I guess that doesn't count as contributing even though I kept about 20 people from getting to them.
  11. GSZenith

warning we got a badass over here
  12. MFP_TK_01

At least put some effort in it and post the picture. That's where 90% of the humor is.
  13. PapaMojo

As a low (but improving) K/D stat holder, I've said before...it should stay. It is a metric that can measure some things. The issue isn't the stat, so much as people not doing research on how that stat was gotten. Oh, you have a 3.24 K/D? Awesome! Lets look at your killboard and weapons/vehicles.....oh....most of them were from ESF rocketpods.....well, great to have you on the air force, but please don't come base breaching with me.

K/D as a number itself is absolutely meaningless in a game where none of the engagements are actually balanced. High K/D may mean a great skilled player, an aimbotter, a stat padder, or a farmer. Without more context, the number doesn't mean very much.
    • Up x 1
  14. Posse

So, if I'm the top killer in an attack to a base (which, if I have to be honest, happens quite often, heh), then that means I'm the guy who stopped the most people from reflipping the point, be it directly or indirectly, how would that not be a great contribution to victory?

Btw, what's a meaningful cap? AFAIK, every cap (in a given base) has the same usefulness, ghostcapping a BioLab or winning it in a 100vs100, resource-wise, has the same usefulness, and what are resources for? For killing, simple as that. And if you refer to alerts, well, alerts are simply something to get certs, getting certs makes it easier to kill.

In the end, there's no ultimate goal for this game, at least not one provided by SOE, you have to set your goals, my goal (aside from having fun, of course), is getting the most kills I can in the shortest time possible while avoiding death as much as I can (or putting it simpler, getting an optimal combination of KDR and KPM if you like it, which also helps me have more fun, the more kills I get the more fun I have, and the less time I'm staring at the redeploy screen, the more fun I have too), and that's also what pushes me forward to improve constantly (or at least try to).
    • Up x 1
  15. Corporate Thug

Nah, not fighting is boring. Waiting on facilities to cap is boring, it's why I don't join large or "organized" outfits, they usually sit around too long or wait to mobilize. I would do the same in that situation, find people to kill or prevent them from getting to the point with out spawn camping them. Perhaps being aggressive is why you have a good K/D, I know I didn't improve significantly until I stopped capping and started throwing myself into squads of bad guys as a source of entertainment. I think XP for base capping should be removed and the incentive to cap bases should be resources and the enemies that spawn at those bases, reason enough for me and it will get people to fight more. I do use my K/D to guide my gameplay, like if I should slow down a bit more or continue to throw myself into sticky situations but it doesn't matter much when I log out. At the end of the day I know I could have double the K/D if I played it safe or ran in a full squad with support, or simply not get stoned during every play session. It takes so much analyzing of stat pages to determine a person's skill that K/D doesn't matter and rarely tells me if a player is good or not. Awards that you earn for proficiency on the battlefield will tell you much more than K/D, SPM.
  16. MykeMichail

KDR doesn't matter to me half as much as some people think it matters to me.

KDR for me is my way of telling myself I'm using the wrong tool for the job (when it gets too low) or that I'm not pressing the objective enough (it gets too high).
    • Up x 1
  17. Corporate Thug

That's pretty much exactly how I use it! If it's too high then I feel like a p*ssy and start pushing harder. I had to log with a 7 K/D (100+ kills) last night even though only a few of us reclaimed a tech plant from 25-48 NC and then 12-24 of us fought off a super official certified TR ZERG at the same tech plant. Didn't play that long but TR having 80% pop on Amerish and VS zerging other continents meant no real fights :( It should be there for personal use but it's just mostly useless outside of personal use.
  18. Flapatax

Link your playercard.
    • Up x 1
  19. Flapatax

Sock is still best. :p
    • Up x 1
  20. ChicoFuerte

KDR DOESNT MATTER BRO I DONT HAVE TO LINK ANYTHING BRO ITS ABOUT TEAM WORK NOT SOLO MLG HERO WORK I GET POOR FRAMES MY DAD ONLY LETS ME PLAY 30 MINUTES MY INTERNET SUCKS MY COMPUTER SUCKS MY EVERYTHING SUCKS SO YOU CANT JUST JUDGE MY PLAYSTYLE BRO BECAUSE ITS DIFFERENT

THIS BRO THINKS HE'S MY BRO, BRO
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.