K/D shouldn't matter to you

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pie Chasm, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flapatax

I just can't take someone seriously who wants to say stats don't matter who presumably has bad ones. When you have nothing to gain by calling K/D meaningless, then you have a point. For example, if Vonic or Sock said stats were meaningless I'd listen to them, but they won't because stats can be interpreted in a useful way.

Also, the tough-guy "I'm older than you" thing is inversely effective on the internet, particularly with games. So congrats on being 45.
    • Up x 2
  2. Eugenitor

3. Flapatax

4. Yuukikun

- you could get banned for asking personal information in forums <3 (PS: still afraid of showing your stats u lil gobnobbler)

- as many researches proved, people who have a will to always improve and work hard towards their goal, (e.g. 3,25kd with LA in very bad odds) have alot more capacity of achieving alot more in their lives than people who seek the easy way and blame others for their flaws (mr. MAX ***** blaming engies for your own lack of skill -- > trash kd) who end up giving up before even trying.

- Sorry about that but i'm too busy with my fiance and my university studies to work at a McDonald.

- every post that you make without showing your stats and just insulting people just because they do efforts in improving just makes you publicly less and less mature, logical, and reasonable.

- I have exams tomorrow and your post helps me release the stress thanks to your hilarious posts :) thank you mate.

- if you give 20 years of age more than he already has, flapatax might be older than your grandfather, just saying.
  5. Eugenitor

Oh wow, there's just so much wrong here...

He didn't "manipulate" his stats in any way that involved cheating. Everything he did was with an unhacked client.

If stats can be "manipulated" at all, and people know how to manipulate them, and people have incentive to manipulate them, then the stats are meaningless by definition. Anyone can do it- simply don't ever go anywhere that there's any actual danger to yourself. Only go to fights where the odds are 2 to 1 in your favor, and pull a MAX or an ESF. Or go to the opposite side of a farm, and never leave your spawn room except to redeploy when the timer's almost ticked down.

He's only an "outlier" in that he did something that all the other stat-padders are doing, only he did more of it.
    • Up x 2
  6. Posse

500 K/D with a crappy 0.2 KPM? Not amused at all.

Anyone can manipulate/pad the stats, yes, but do they in reality? The answer is no (at least for the large majority). Can you identify a stat padder by looking at his profile? Yes, quite easily, so the argument that stats can be padded is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Besides, who's talking about looking at KDR alone in order to measure anything? No, you can't, in order to measure anything you have to look at KDR, KPM, classes played by % of the time, KDR, KPM and accuracy with each weapon, and so on, then you can draw conclusions, the KDR haters want to go for the easy way out by saying "KDR alone doesn't mean anything", and no, it doesn't, but we know it already, that's why we look at the whole picture, KDR while taking into account everything else, actually says a lot, like it or not.
  7. Flapatax

And only an idiot or someone completely unfamiliar with the mechanics of the game would not be able to tell that when looking at their overall stats. K/D by itself is useless (unless it's particularly low--plenty of DA support players maintain 2+), but a playercard tells a much more complete story.

I don't know why everyone is deadset on the dichotomy of "SINCE K/D CAN'T TELL ME EVERYTHING ABOUT A PERSON DOWN TO THEIR DNA, IT IS THEREFORE ENTIRELY USELESS AND SHOULD BE COMPLETELY DISREGARDED" and harangue anyone who says it can be used to paint part of a picture.

Not all people with good KDs are stat padders, and to assume that leads me to believe you're bad.
  8. Eugenitor

It's funnier when you do the math and realize that he spent a full 40-hour workweek, with overtime, sniping from the spawn room just to prove a point.

Still, it beats the countless man-hours wasted by people genuinely playing to raise their stats because they believe that doing so earns them some modicum of respect (spoilers: it doesn't).
  9. Posse

The fact that he needed that much time actually disproves his point, KPM is as much a measure of skill as KDR is. So in order to get that extremely high KDR he needed to get kills as slow as the worst players in this game

And do you really think people play to raise their stats? People play to have fun, only that some people (me included), while having fun, like to constantly improve because that's an extra motivation that makes them push to their limits and enjoy the game even more. KDR and KPM together are a reflection of that improvement.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pie Chasm

As "many researches" proved, people who make up statistics generally don't know squat.

Good for you.

K. Whatever you say. Don't let me bother your high school studies.

You mean over 120?

I can't take anybody seriously who uses in-game stats in PS2 as a measure of anything, not that I'd ever take you seriously anyway, because you're a random kid on the internet.

If anything your attempt to attack stats is but a sign of weakness. It means you have some massive inferiority complex, since instead of actually making an intelligent argument that refutes the premise, you want to have a number to point at and say "LOL HE IS BAD THEREFORE HE IS WRONG".

Thanks, 45 has been grand.
  11. Pie Chasm

Judging from the responses in this thread, many of them do.

Having a greater K/D isn't a sign of improvement in a game where teams are inherently imbalanced and the playing field is rarely even. It could mean you stuck with the zerg and never left the protection of another meat shield as a meat shield. It could mean you never tried to kill an enemy sunderer with c4 and rockets. It could mean so many things in THIS game, because THIS game is inherently designed around objectives and doesn't control population.

Arguing with you kids is like arguing with a religious fanatic who is convinced that God is the only path to salvation and will simply ignore anything empirical that points to something else being a better explanation.

Christianity is as good an explanation for the creation of man as K/D is for performance in PS2.
    • Up x 1
  12. Sock

Other way around really. You're wrong BECAUSE you're bad. You lack a basic understanding of the game and it's fairly evident in your posts.
    • Up x 1
  13. Yuukikun

that's why there are other stats to back up K/D. He clearly stayed in a spawn, using only a sniper rifle. K/D is meaningless alone but it is a good first stats to look up to see if someone is skilled or no. You check K/D --> class played the most and then you will see if it's worth looking deeper or if you know someone is trash. I think it would be more accurate to say K/D is an indicator of non-skilled players. There are players who pad their K/D but it shows in other stats such as accuracy. Also infiltrator -> sniper skill cap is quite low, making players with 5 K/D + be of low skill.

To use your own examples, going in fights 2 to 1 in your favor gives less kills/hour. Using a MAX is seen in your stats and i personally just remove every kills made in a max or vehicle or sniper when i want to know people's K/D. Now you could say ''what about people who just stay in spawns with a carbine or a LMG to farm kills. These people will end up with low accuracy and higher head shot count because most kills you can get in this situation are people popping their heads out and getting shot by 4 spawn warriors and obviously give a headshot kill. you will rarely see a foot pop out and if it ever happens, people take reduced damage and have more time to go back to cover than headshots.

Some stats websites also show people's K/D without medics revives. I don't know if the K/D without revives is better than the one with because of a few facts. People can be medic squads keep reviving eachother forever, which would mean less skilled players relying too much on a cheesy feature of the game, but there is also the opposite of where a skilled player will get revived by a random medic to end up reviving them in the middle of enemy troops and getting a lower K/D because of this.

Most people who really care about their K/D and want to use it as way to compare eachother, will not pad it. In a way you are right of saying K/D means nothing, because without other stats or player's honesty in the way they obtained it, it is not a good way to compare players. However, the other statistics you will find will increase the weight of K/D or lighten it. K/D is very important in my Planetside2 gaming because i use it to gauge if i'm playing like crap today or if i'm playing like a beast, considering i always present myself to awful odds and jumping in the ennemy lines killing as many as i can before getting shot down.
  14. Flapatax

I believe you can get a quick and accurate picture of a player's abilities with their overall stats. You think you can't, which is usually symptomatic of people assuming engineers and medics can't maintain decent KDs, or that careless "rush the point" play is "teamwork" and desirable.

As for asking for your stats, it's just establishing credentials. I don't go to a material chemistry conference and attempt to give a keynote because I lack the qualifications to do so.

Edit: I asked for your stats because earlier in the thread you made ambiguous claims that you may or may not be a good infantry player, and that who were we to judge you. Just asking you to put your money where your mouth is, is all.
  15. 6pecx

Skill + High KDR = bragging rights lol aint that what FPS games are about who is the best player or did i miss a memo
  16. Posse

At this point I think you're not even reading anymore, I'm saying K/D is useful when taking together with EVERY SINGLE OTHER STAT OUT THERE. Are the caps enough for you to understand or you need a graph? Oh and for the record, I'm #5 in vehicle kills with the Lancer across all US servers and Miller, so I guess I do get vehicle kills (sunderers included since they're the easiest to take down with Lancers). People who play with a zerg can have a good KDR yes, but they'll probably have a low KPM since they have to compete to get kills.

As a side note, numerical advantage while being VS in Waterson is almost impossible, so no, that's not it either. For example today, I went as HA into B on Quartz Ridge, I cleaned the room singlehandedly against 5 guys (yes, of course they were bad) and held it alone for a minute or so holding off enemy after enemy, do you really think it's a coincidence that my K/D is > 4? Do you really think a guy with a K/D of 1 or less can pull that off even if the enemies are bad? I don't think so. People who have a high K/D have it for a reason, they might be lolpodders, they might just spam HE with their Prowler, they might be inside a ZOE MAX all day every day... or maybe, maybe they're just good infantry players ;)

Not my fault if you don't know how to read the stats, that doesn't make them useless. Every single thing I mentioned is easy to check in the official stats page, and if you want more details, you can check the DA stats page for example.
  17. Sock

Are you trying to say that the way I play and enjoy the game may not be The One True Playstyle?
    Reported.
    • Up x 2
  18. Posse

You should be banned from the VS for using that heretic UBGL imo.
  19. Sock

I'm a visionary.
  20. Eugenitor

If you're relying on the integrity and honesty of people on the Internet in determining the validity of anything, I have some very unfortunate news for you.

KPM doesn't show if you ever played outside of a biolab. It goes down if you were driving a Sundy between fights and guarding it like it was your firstborn, getting a handful of kills while everyone spawning from it got far more. Even weapon choice doesn't show whether or not you got those kills in CQC against BR 40+ players or used a UBGL with an ammo pack to farm noobs. And yes, there are plenty of players who leave good fights to go farm.

The only thing that actually shows skill or not is video, and, in this game, even that doesn't show what the other players had on their screens (which is sometimes strikingly different).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.