Infiltrators versus Vehicles

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Damianamaru, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Stinneyt

Then you mean "Team play" not "competitive play", and incidentally I think they are well suited to team play. Hacking terminals and turrets is valuable.
    I think they should NOT be able to interact directly with vehicles. I dont even think they should necessarily run with the main bulk of the squad.
    They should be flanking positions and taking out enemy snipers, medics and engineers.

AT the most, I believe they should have a laser pointer so they can mark vehicles so that heavy assaults, engineers, mosquitos, liberators in the squad, which are equipped with the appropriate weaponry, can fire and the missile will be guided to the vehicle being panted by the infiltrator laser.

These weapons could fire in the direction they are fired and then after a short flight time, they will head towards the vehicle being pointed at. This would allow hits on vehicles hiding behind cover or around corners.

But if you think soloing as a sniper was good as it is now, then if you give them the ability to interact with vehicles directly, then you are only going to magnify the problem.
    • Up x 1
  2. cann0nf0dder

if the infiltrator has to spend the same ammount of ressources to actually hack the vehicle, i would think thats ok.

if you mean you can hack and get an mbt/sunderer by hacking it from a player who bought it with his ressources, i don't think it should ever made possible.
  3. Aimeryan

Why?
  4. Stinneyt

I
    I'd be OK with it if you had to buy vehicle hack kits and you could carry 1-2 in place of claymores maybe and they cost infantry points. But not as much as a sunderer.
  5. Skeith

well no it would be fine if you can hack a sunderer,i mean,it constantly respawns enemies,if not a single one of them notice you they deserve to be punished

and team play is not competitive play,team play if when i grab 3-4 buddies and roll around

competitive play is organized outfit vs organized outfit
  6. cann0nf0dder

because you're going to use ressource bound spawns, not simple open for everyone terminals or turrets everyone can use 4 free

you want to take a vehicle that someone had payed for, if it's wasted in the hacking process no problem, i wouldn't even mind that the infiltrator then gets a new option, the option to destroy vehicles without a hacked turret because you need to get close to the vehicle to hack them, but if you actually want to take it over, you have to pay for it like when you spawn it at your terminal, elsewise you can just hop from tank to tank and abandon it before it burns out, take the next one and repeat without even taking a sweat while the enemy still destroying the vessel you just abbandoned (i admit an enemy letting you do it, would deserve it, but it's still way to overpowered)

several more abusive scenarios are in my mind, but the free vehicles for infiltrators is one of the more concerning and gamebreaking issues i think :D

and i don't think you should be able to spend infantry ressources on them, you should be able to hack them without a kit, but at the cost of the vehicle, in aerial or vehicle points, the same ammount they had to be purchased for from a terminal.
  7. Aimeryan

If you have gone to the effort of using an inferior way of getting a vehicle than just spawning one at a vehicle bay why would you want to pay the same resource cost for it?

There is also the argument that you are not in as good a position as someone who spawned a vehicle behind friendly lines with engineers to back it up - how many of these hacked vehicles do you think would make it back safely even if they make a mad dash to friendly territory? You will also be a priority target for suicide aircraft and the like if you do make it back.

You also don't get to choose the loadout to fit your skills and abilities.

I think, given how difficult it would be, the time spent doing so (and not doing something else), the difficulty in keeping the vehicle, and the fact you have no choice over the loadout, I would think this would be not too abusive to need to charge resources for - and definitely not the full amount.
  8. cann0nf0dder

you don't want to make it back safely (at leats i wouldn't) you got a vanguard for example, the last one at an enemy zerg, now you can just shoot anything in front of you into the backside with 150mm ap canon (50% chance to get heap, 50% to get ap, never seen a vanguard with anything else), they turn around and before the next hit they just thinkt 'damn ff noob', after killing some tanks, the first zerglin starts to realise that that in fact is an enemy vanguard ... that alone would justify the means of getting into a vanguard .... if your tank starts burning you escape stealthed to get another tank, again peferrable the last one in the zerg colum...

you got behind enemy lines with an mbt before ? depending on your vehicle skill you can take out several tanks befor anyone notices you ...

i still think it's way to abusive, i would love that mechanic for sure, even with vehicle coasts i would use it all day long, count on that ...
  9. ShadowAquilaX

I totally agree with that. People opposing the idea of Infiltrators hacking vehicles are afraid they'll be the ones losing their precious kill farming toys. An unprotected sunderer or a solo MBT that's camping a spawn in the same spot, deserves to have their vehicle taken away.
    By no means should hacking vehicles be an easy task. Maybe adding a new Infiltrator passive in the same category as the default hacking tool, Thus causing the player to have to cert 150 into it to activate it and up to 1000 for faster vehicle hacking OR keep the timer the same (e.g. 15 sec) and cost 400-500 certs to activate. Either way there's a multitude of ways to make it fair for everyone.
    In big tank battles it's not going be easy to run up to a tank surrounded my other tanks and possibly infantry, and stand there for x amount of time uncloaked.
    In smaller scaled battles, same thing, if the opposing team is somewhat organized, It will not be a walk in the park.
    But if god forbid they're running around all willy nilly, like some games that shall not be named (Call of Dooty, Halo), than they will have to learn to protect their investments, and stop trying to be Master Chief.
    It shouldn't cost resources to punish the weak minded, solo artists who are wrecking this game. Not that have anything against solo gameplay, I do it too. However if you think you can just sit behind a rock or on a hill in yer little tank, or park yer Sundy somewhere and prance off, be prepared to be visited by the ghost of Christmas f***k you.
    Nuff Said...
    • Up x 2
  10. Aimeryan

If resources were to be charged (like how anti-tank mines are), then I think an reasonable amount would be more appropriate and not the full amount for the vehicle. Something like 100 resources maybe.
  11. Dr. Euthanasia

I think that most of these people arguing against the idea of vehicle hacking haven't bothered to consider how much it'll change the way that vehicle drivers play. If a hacked Vanguard starts shelling the back of your armor zerg, you turn around and spot him so that everyone knows about it, and it'll only take one or two incidents before the possibility of that happening stops surprising you and you actually learn to react appropriately to it rather than with confusion. If you kill the tank but not the Infiltrator, you're going to get paranoid and not ease up until he's dead, not just forget about it immediately and go back to shooting at the Crown or whatever the hell you're trying to do that makes a single hacked tank so devastating.

Tank drivers are going to fight tooth and nail against the kind of abuse you're afraid of here, and they have the tools to do so.
    • Up x 1
  12. ShadowAquilaX

So agree with you there. Once ppl get past the initial "OMFG WTF just happened" reaction, the game will continue to evolve. But to come on the forums and say it will break the game, just seems like infantile epeen from the same type of ppl that don't get out of their tanks to cap a point at a base or deploy their sunderer walk away and explicitly expect it to still be there when they get back to it.

This is off topic but, I once watched a large group of tanks and even infantry at a base for 1 min as I was one of the last ppl to arrive at the location, they were all running around the entire base, bumping and TKing each other to camp the spawn room, while the point remained under enemy control. This happened at a small outpost likr gravel pass with one capture point. Needless to say, I got on the comms and started yelling at everyone and then logged off. They were lucky my outfit doesn't allow TKing otherwise I would have grabbed my lolpods and bombed the piss out this ridiculous childish behavior.

Perhaps getting your face blown off by your own tank might help control the tank spam problem.
    I would totally be fine with not being able to hack Sunderers, but majority of tank drivers deserve it IMO.
    • Up x 1
  13. Hellhammer

the only real life comparison to a vehicle hack in the game would be carjacking. Someone else paid for it, pays the insurance on it, maintains it....and someone else took all the risk to steal it...not paying a dime for it, doesn't really care about it, (usually) not going to keep it. Yet carjacking happens every day. How would this be any different than what an Infiltrator would do, with their own special tool..
    • Up x 1
  14. Cymoril

If someone is in the vehicle I disagree. However there are many of people that when their tired of their vehicle and just bail or go in to resupply. Those people leaving a unprotected exposed vehicle for car jacking I think would be a funny idea and a nice little perk for an enemy infil to run around in.
    I also think the infil should get their own 1 shot AP rounds and maybe have a spotter for vehicles to try and mark weak spots for a tad bit of more damage or something. Hell, everyone else has something to blow up air and mechanized, why leave the infil out of the fun ?
  15. Hellhammer

"Hell, everyone else has something to blow up air and mechanized, why leave the infil out of the fun ?"....I've been saying this same exact thing for months now....
  16. Astraka

Why? As outlined numerous times in this thread and others you'd have to be blind to everything but the Infantry farm to get your vehicle hacked out from under you. Standing still for 15-20+ seconds, completely visible, & relatively defenseless (like all hacking) is all the balance Vehicle Hacking will ever need. Open your eyes - this is literally all it takes to avoid it.
    • Up x 1
  17. Cymoril

I believe I had a similar idea to what you posted at the end of your message but I felt the vehicle should be defenseless, reason being if you are shelling an area and get distracted by heavies or artillery a infil shouldnt be able to cloak up and rip you from your vehicle while he is stealthed. Thats what I disagree on. If however, you hop out to repair your vehicle and a infil hacks it from the other side, or if you run to a terminal to resupply I feel its fair game.
  18. Astraka

I don't think you're understanding. An Infiltrator cannot hack anything while cloaked. An Infiltrator must be completely visible & relatively defenseless for the entire hacking duration - this is how hacking is currently implemented in PS2. In this way the only way it needs to be balanced further is assigning an approriate duration - enough so it is still doable but not so short where it cannot be adequately defended against.

If you're sitting on Magrider Hill at Crossroads Tower or sitting parked in front of TI Alloys farming infantry without paying attention to your surroundings you can't get mad if someone steals or blows up your tank. Again as I have pointed out numerous times, open your eyes - this is literally all it takes to avoid this happening. If you can't be bothered to do something so simple to protect your tank it obviously is not worth very much to you in the first place.
    • Up x 1
  19. Cymoril

gotcha. I had to rehack a turret today cause I couldnt get any infils sniping (who always complain when people blow up their rehackable turrets) to rehack a turret. So I switched and saw what you are suggesting. I have mixed feelings about it. Vehicles arent as good as they used to be. I think you should ask for something more unique like a false positive on radar so the enemy cant track your movements once infiltrated in the base and your cloak is down, or be able to have ammo that u can purchase so you can kill vehicles too. All the other classes can, you might as well also jump on the SOE bandwagon of vehicle destruction.
  20. Aimeryan

If it was my choice regarding vehicles, I would make them all (bar the flash, and maybe the ESF) have longer cooldowns but take more damage to destroy - making them more valuable assets rather than the throw-away toys they are currently. In this situation, making vehicle hacks very difficult to pull off would be balanced with other classes' abilities to destroy the tanks (that is, more difficult), while the reward is high if successful. This is what Planetside 1 was like.
    • Up x 1