Infiltrators versus Vehicles

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Damianamaru, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Stormdragon

I like several of the things I have heard here. The infiltrator is meant for causing mayhem and chaos and killing at range. In my mind giving infiltrators C4 or other explosives would unbalance them and drive them away from there true purpose. I do like the idea of disruption or lock-out effects for the infiltrator, disruptive but not overly destructive. The idea for a modded recon detect device was interesting and may warrant more attention, but seems unlikely. An idea I had was give the sniper rifle a laser attachment that "marks" the tank while the infiltrator keeps his sights on it, increasing the homing ability of rockets on the marked target/ or a rocket launcher that only homes on marked targets. While I doubt this will be put in the game the bottom line remains. The infiltrator needs to be able to do something to help his team against tanks, and be rewarded for it. Most other classes can gain massive exp and certs by targeting vehicles, the infiltrator needs some way to get in on the action.
  2. Dr. Euthanasia

Nothing that you just suggested would be likely to award even a fraction of the certs that someone actually killing the vehicle would achieve.

Also, the Infiltrator shouldn't be specialized only in killing at range. Not only does this game have nowhere near enough long range infantry-based combat to justify that role, but it's also not what the class's name or description implies, not to mention what the community wants from it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Zinus

Buff the recon tool to show vehicles when the dart hits and sticks to them.
    The most vanilla solution that I could think off xD.
  4. Get2dachoppa

I mentioned giving Infiltrators the ability to sabotage enemy vehicles in the Roadmap thread. Basically its an alternative to outright hacking into them. It could apply debuffs to a vehicle (possibly chosen from a small variety). Slow movement by 50%, destroy ammo pool, weaken armor so vehicle takes more damage for a period of time, etc. Wouldn't do any damage on its own but would work well with a team.

Barring not having the ability to hack or sabotage vehicles, I don't see why Infiltrators couldn't be given some kind of explosive. It doesn't have to be C4, but perhaps some kind of class specific explosive toned down to do less damage. I'm envisioning something that would be perfect to finish off heavily damaged tanks that have pulled back to repair. That seems to fit the Infiltrator nicely and wouldn't cause a full health vehicle too much worry.
  5. Dr. Euthanasia

I'd rather it just be a powerful time bomb. There's no excuse to make it weaker than C4, it just needs to be more "fair".
  6. Astraka

I get what you're saying now.

Still, I don't really see the issue in hampering attackers a little bit, the game is stacked far too much against defenders as it is except at bases like the Crown or Scarred Mesa Skydock. Also as I've outlined numerous times in this thread & others, Vehicle Hacking is innately counterable simply by opening one's eyes and thus is not near as hard to prevent as a kamikaze LA or Engineer.
    • Up x 1
  7. Aimeryan

Agree with Astaka, I would rather they made sunderers more resistant to explosives in general than make infiltrators useless against them so that everyone else can have it golden. If it is a problem currently because of the other classes fix that and balance the infiltrators in.
  8. OldMaster80

Another good point is that any Infiltrator could revert a hacked vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  9. Stinneyt

How about a %-age of the kill XP value for laser targetting a vehicle? Allowing other squad members to fire guided missiles. The infiltrator could get into a place where he can target multiple vehicles and be rewarded with an % of multiple vehicle kills, without actually killing them himself.
    This would help integrate the infiltrator into team play.
  10. Stinneyt

This shows you just dont know how to play infiltrator.
    I am terrible with heavy assault, but I recognise this, so I'm not going into the HA forums to tell them how terrible the class is.
  11. Kaon1311

What like the HA? :p

Only class that cannot do anything (except spot) to vehicles.
  12. Skeith

and this shows that you have no idea about what competitive play is
  13. Stinneyt

My killboard is evidence to the contrary.
  14. Skeith

just the fact that you talk about k/d shows that you really dont
  15. Roland2TowerCame

I play Inf a lot but I really don't like the idea of being able to steal a vehicle.
  16. Astraka

Why?
  17. Roland2TowerCame

I also play in a lot of vehicles.
  18. Stinneyt

Who said anything about KD?
    Would you care to expand your point beyond just saying "You're wrong".

But since you bring it up, the fact that i'm a non-paying, non subscribed, non-boosted BR44 with 89% of my time spent as infiltrator with a healthy KD ratio thats getting better with time, is evidence that the infiltrator class is competitive.

Now maybe you can explain how its not?
  19. Astraka

Any reason beyond that? Like it would be to easy to do?
  20. Skeith

competitive play is not what you do in your solo time,or what you do with 3 outfit mates

im a BR 67 infiltrator but not for this i say that the class is fine and that needs no way to deal with vehicles wich are the most important things in the whole game

how hacking a vehicle would be something worst than a light assault C4 bombing a sunderer in a couple of seconds?if you let a decloaked infiltrator stand still and hack your vehicle you deserve to lose it

it's not like we are asking to hack vehicles by jumping on top of them while they move,hack them and instantly kill the driver

anyway for competitive play i mean battles between major outfits those who are streamed and comment by the planetside team

i dont want to be a dick but please dont confuse solo play with competitive play because they are not the same thing

i never said that the infiltrator is a bad solo class,since it's probably the best one