[Idea] More Warpgate Immersion

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NaySayer, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColonelChingles

Oh no, I'm not talking about combat NPCs. Just ones that dally around in the Warpgates (which is I think the focus of this thread). I mean those NPCs don't even need AI... they can just follow scripted actions to liven up the place.
    • Up x 1
  2. RIctavius

BARTENDER! :D

and I want a cot to sleep at the warpgate and confuse the **** out of noobs.
    • Up x 2
  3. Silvermyst

Whoops. My bad. :oops:

They should work just fine then. :D

I'm game. +1 for immersive NPCs.
  4. MasterDemoman

This thread is a yes.
  5. ColonelChingles

Just imagine the first few seconds of this video (courtesy of Recursion's Fatter):

1) Video screens around the Warpgate
    2) NPC soldiers who are watching the screens and commenting
    3) NPC soldiers putting on armor and helmets
    4) NPC soldiers doing weapon checks

I mean someone has already made the animations and everything... all SOE needs to do is buy them from this guy!
    • Up x 3
  6. Jaycemonde

That was an amazing video. Surprisingly fitting music for Planetside, all things considered.

And yeah, that's pretty much all you'd need for conquerable warpgates as far as NPCs go, in addition to the propaganda speakers/intercom chatter and Galaxies departing and arriving (maybe that could replace the warpgate terminals in the main building?). In Sanctuaries/Non-conquerable warpgates, a whole bunch of cooler stuff like MAX repair facilities and training or parade grounds (with or without NPCs) could be added as well. Maybe even a PX to act as a physical front for the Depot page, for those weird types (like me) that actually prefer running around and interacting with tangible objects in games instead of using a menu.
    • Up x 1
  7. -Synapse-

It's pretty clear the devs just don't have many resources to throw around. Which is unfortunate because the current stale and unpolished style is killing the potential of the game. It's a bare-bones mash up of unfinished features and and old vision gone haywire. It's abundantly clear that SOE no longer intends to give players engaging reasons to fight, or any sense of presence in the game world.

They're just surviving now, milking as much money as they can and pushing out half finished features to try to keep us happy. They see no use for 'fluff', even if that 'fluff' would make the game umpteen times more engaging, and therefor more fun, thereby making it more successful. That or they just don't care.

Either way I would still love to see at least some effort put into making the game more immersive, rather than just promising more and more strictly gameplay-oriented content hoping some people are incapable of seeing how pointless it all is.

Gah, I really need to get more sleep or something, I'm usually not this negative.
    • Up x 1
  8. CARunner

I like the idea,but some more things could be added to those few cool ideas such as :

Target Practice Area ( TPA ) with moving targets back and forth motion ( Like a training room but u obviously cant
    try any weapon,Just the ones u have. ) If not, this could be implemented to the actual training facility.

Random Civilians all working and doing their job like perhaps repairing some vehicles and some medical aids,etc

Maybe a small CPU platoon-like army that just moves around the place once in a while with the commander hollering orders. they could do physical training,and occupy the target area.
  9. Ken Photon

I'm really liking these ideas, but let me crash the party, if I may. :p What about the douchewads that want to shoot at the NPCs? How should the NPCs react? If they don't do anything, it would make them look too rigid and ruin the immersion a little. And we can't just let them die...

But other than that, I really like the ideas. And you know what, to fit all these things, we could make the Warpgates bigger, so that they encompass more of their territories and give them some use.

And lastly, I just had one random idea. What if we add a bar in the Warpgate?! :p Seriously, we could make a little bar-like area for social meetings and coordination. We don't necessarily have to make it a bar, but just a little assigned area for a large gathering.
  10. PYROxSYCO

SOE could make money with in game advertising like NOS, Monster, Venom, Logitech, PS4, and other companies, it would be easier to keep the servers alive.
  11. Ken Photon

Uhh... I don't know about that. That would kind of kill the immersion a little, and the designers would have to make sure that those ads are completely non-intrusive to the gamers.
    • Up x 1
  12. PYROxSYCO

I mean like the TV panels advertising the ad not something all of a sudden popping up in your face "BUY NOW!!!!!"
    It would be something like an airport terminal like this but mounted onto the wall. [IMG]

Besides the old Planetside had "Planetside" mounted to the Sanctuary bases
  13. NameNotFound

How about terminals that new players can read up on the lore of that specific faction, maybe with propaganda for that faction that distorts the truth?
  14. -Synapse-

Just found this, thought it was relevant.
    [IMG]

Also, bump.
    • Up x 4
  15. DatVanuMan

THAT SOUNDS SO DAMNED SICK. Imagine, we VS are about to dominate Hossin once more, and the other guys begin to receive threats from us, each threat appropriate to each faction. Could go like this:
    To TR: Loyalty till Death... That is what you claim. Loyalty... An amazing concept, no? Your "loyalty" has caused the downfall of Hossin, as you are able to tell. Your tyranny through the claims of tradition is a thing of the past, and now, the might and outreach of Vanu is poised to enlighten you, for the time being.
    To NC: For soldiers who believe in freedom and individuality, you are not exactly what you claim. You used to be our brothers... Willing to stand up against tyranny and oppression, and ensure that our lives would prosper. We used to have FAITH in you... Yet your misguided concepts of freedom has led to the fall of the continent you allowed us to fight on.
    Just a script:p Hope you enjoyed, and YES to all these ideas:D
    • Up x 1
  16. DatVanuMan

YES. But instead of making the news terrifying, try to make it feel epic upon a victory and satirical upon a defeat.
    Like this:
    VS lose Hvar Tech:
    The malfunctioning of our weapons by traitorous heretics has caused our enlightened soldiers to lose the Hvar Tech Plant. Do not worry, brothers... We shall enjoy revenge.
    VS take Indar Excavation:
    After a heated battle where many died, many lived, and many were enlightened, Indar Excavation Site is now a vicinity of the Vanu Sovereignty. Our might shall reach far and wide, brothers. The enemy will regret not switching their fabric.
  17. Kubin

*BUMP* Hoo lee sheet... I just found this thread and I completely LOVE the idea. Make. It. Happen. Now!
  18. Schizomatic

2013 called. They want to know what you did with their 8-track tapes, where's their VHS copy of Debbie Does Dallas, and to let you know you can keep Vanilla Ice.
  19. Hammerlock

some strategy planning rooms (CDC) would be nice with the actual continent

TR
    [IMG]

NC
    [IMG]

VS
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  20. VonStalin

so many cool ideas.. Hope Higby will read this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.