[Vehicle] How to fix the GK

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jake the Dog, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Scr1nRusher

But its not "better".

Each weapon design has a role & purpose.
  2. Flag

It's not "better", it is better.

The other claim, that they all have a role and purpose doesn't mean that one of them can't eclipse the rest in their supposed" roles. By comparison, technically the PPA had a role as long range suppression AI, but that didn't save it from the chopping block.
  3. Scr1nRusher

Holy ******* hell this level of stupidity.
  4. oberchingus

One thing to note: When we (ECUS) tested the GK for DBG, we tested it in close and medium combat scenarios. Since we only fight in close to medium combat or duels, we didn't think to test it a longer or extremely long ranges. And here is the issue people face, because the GK, without audio notification, drop and effectiveness (as everyone on the receiving end knows) from extremely long range, can keep the DPS needed for the kill.

We don't find the GK entertaining to fight against or to use, so we don't use it at all. When fighting it, we treat it like a lockdown Prowler. Just have to slalom in and out of cover to close the distance, and then fight it like a Vulcan/Halberd. It can be tricky. But it's in the game, and it's not going anywhere, let alone will be tweaked (probably) for a very long time.
  5. Villanuk

I agree that no harasser should have the same weapon as a MBT, or certainly not as strong, and they should be reduced to short to range hit and runs, not farming tools as they get used as.

Their is complete irony about the GK, more as the haldberd is best secondary in the game which is open to all factions, i think the term, ES long range secondary, should make it clear to what the TR are talking about.
  6. Flag

Ho damn the level of ignorance.
  7. GarryStutter

I main NC, so I mean technically I should share bias towards the lancer. But I think it is very well designed for the fact that it has needed synergy with mag-riders. Im not claiming they're under-powered right away but they are horrible for moving with a mass of infantry, I think that a high velocity launcher like that also enables infantry to not kill friendly Maggies while strafing as they struggle not to get vacuumed up by maggies. Not to side track, but reply to your point, some things are just well designed and I think that is some of the better a-symmetric balance.

I dislike about hearing about ravens constantly as I think it is one of the more lackluster asymmetric balance decisions, maxes just lack in versatility far to much compared to vehicle combat, their lack of mobility makes it a mostly defensive advantage that relies on infantry assistance which is also it's weakness when using ravens. If maxes break a siege of undying vehicles around a base, or a tank column without infantry, then good. Phoenix... Please don't say Phoenix, I wouldn't talk Strikers with you either :D.

The GK as far as I understood from a post a while back has 444ish dps versus the highest being the enforcer of 500 (450 on a harasser, left out). You are not going to hit people nearly as often with the enforcer as you will with the GK, it's real stats can't be compared, and after hearing forever about Titan-150 AP round shredding air, I will say that a weapon with that insane bullet velocity shreds everything because it's dps is applied almost completely, constantly. And it takes away the long ranged game, you wouldn't want sniper rifles to have nearly instant trajectory speed either.
    I can't play harassers against gatekeepers, it's madness, I used to dodge, now, no, not happening. It eliminates one type of defense.
    As NC you sadly have the same problem with the Vanguard due to the opposite problem, dps that is applied as soon as you are seen, and being the slowest tank. They won't lead into you, you won't dodge projectiles when you time them to come your way, it is a constant stream of pressure, super accurate, and with laughable reload times.

The TR t.b.h. had their only excuse for the Vulcan that they didn't have as much long range, and it made sense "okay", and was said often times. The halberd was a sufficient placeholder i.m.h.o.

Off topic I cried tears of anguish over the PPA pre-nerf, afterward it was way over-nerfed, I advocated they made it more burst based as the problem was it created a goddarn wall of death without a chance to move for targets, but whatever.
  8. Towie

It's quite funny to see all the tactics used to justify the GK in its current state:

1. Divert attention. 'ultra long range Lancer and Vortex need to be nerfed at the same time' (despite the fact that both are pretty lacklustre, very situational and rarely used)

2. Denial. 'its not as powerful as you think, and here are the stats to prove it' (should be known as the "PPA Defence")

3. Offer alternatives to trade for a nerf. 'buff the Striker and Fracture instead' - even though both are far from 'terrible' that some make out

It's a bit deja vu really - Zoe, PPA, Banshee, Ravens, all with similar discussions and tactics employed by for and against teams. The real unknown is, what will happen next and based in experience it could be nerfed to oblivion or left alone, neither of which are desirable...
    • Up x 1
  9. Jake the Dog

BEFORE ANYONE POSTS HERE AGAIN I have one semi-simple demand.
    Step 1: Start Planetside
    Step 2: Go into EACH factions VR
    Step 3: TEST each weapon at various ranges against a sunderer
    Step 4: post results here

Notes: Take into account that sunderers have directional armor values. So try to remain consistent. If you don't have a video capture system which will be able to provide more accurate data, use a stopwatch for a rough estimate. Formulate your opinion from that. Otherwise, don't post here, if you have no experience with other weapons I don't want you posting here, because you're then a biased example.

Thank you,
    -Neo
  10. Scr1nRusher

Sunderers have no directional armor BTW.
  11. Jake the Dog

Unless someone was shooting or I miscounted (or latency actually) lol, 10 shots on the rear and 14 shots on the side with the enforcer. If I'm wrong then OH well. Im a tanker, not a sunderer driver.
  12. Moridin6

hwhat? you sure about that? i swear they take less ttk if you do it.. in the butt
  13. Jake the Dog

Either way I only want people posting here if they can complete that challenge. Otherwise they're wasting bandwidth with non-sense.
  14. DCTH

It is a start, but no telling everything. It should be: Get on a hill and fire at a eratically driving harrasser from various ranges.
    • Up x 1
  15. Jake the Dog

That would then fall upon skill, you would need someone equally experienced with all weapons, to shoot.

Besides, if you can't do the above then you shouldn't even be arguing about the balance of the weapons.
  16. Moridin6

i dont see how the point of view/information gathered by those targeted by the weapon is not valuable information .
    if you limit the conversation to only those who have extensively vr tested everything then its going to be a short list of people. and then why bother posting at all in that case. pm each other
    dont discount those of us out there in the field facing the issue headon. i dont have time to vr test everything but my opinion and my information are just as relevant.
  17. Scr1nRusher

Remember.

Balancing in a bubble is a entirely different story compared to the chaotic real game.
  18. Jake the Dog

To rid the thread of bias. I understand what you're saying, I really do, but people need to see AND feel the balance. I've got enough people saying the GK is OP/not OP in this thread to fill a small novel. But I believe in order to come to a reasonable consensus on an issue everyone should try this.

Also, trust me that's not extensive either.
  19. Jake the Dog

Like it or not its what I would like to see and can very easily show you issues (if of course there are any...)
  20. Reclaimer77

So the answer to an OP vehicle weapon is to make them ALL OP. Yeah, good idea.

You know some of us actually enjoy playing infantry in PS2. Shocking I know, but true.