[Vehicle] How to fix the GK

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jake the Dog, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Jake the Dog

Problem: The Gatekeeper is too effective at all ranges, with high accuracy and negligible drop. No weapon in VS/NC arsenal can effectively counter it (at LOOOOooooNNNnnnggg range). We're talking ranges beyond 200m where it can maintain a consistent dps ~450.

Suggested Solution 1: Give GK bloom and velocity debuff to bring it closer to the other ES AV ranges.
    Suggested Solution 2: Give Enforcer less drop/higher velocity, give Saron lower bloom.

Also because some idiot will post it in the name of "asymmetrical balance", buff fractures and make the striker not suck balls.

What I'm not suggesting:
    Lowering damage.
    Lowering dps
    Decreasing range
    Jet fuel can't melt steal beams.
    Laserswords can't melt durasteel blast doors
    Installing mindprobes that make you worship vanu.

What you shouldn't argue:
    It has a low dps, so its cool.
    Well teamwork OP.
    My dads stronger than your dad.
    RadarX is actually a panda that duel wields chainsaws.

*Drives away on an auraxium stealth prowler... but not too far...*
    • Up x 5
  2. Revel

What if you made it so that it had reverse damage dropoff? You had to be far away for it to hit hard and up close it did bad damage? By closing the range you make it much less effective.
  3. Jake the Dog

That would make it a terrible, but exploitable weapon. I don't like terrible or exploitable weapons.
  4. Scr1nRusher

THIS 10000000% PERCENT

All weapons should be viable.

The Enforcer & Saron do need to be better over long range.
    • Up x 2
  5. Jake the Dog

It would have to be closely monitored though. Balance can be easily overturned/upset.
  6. Scr1nRusher

Still, the Saron & Enforcer need to be made long range.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jake the Dog

That long of a range though is part to blame for this scenario however. I personally prefer option 1, reducing ranges to being it more in line with other AV, infantry including. But it would be balance and give more killing power to vehicles. Which as I said, would have to be closely watched, or else we'd have similar complaints across the board.
  8. MikeyGeeMan

How about leaving it alone. Since it's not op.

I rather put some training videos together for the people that whine

Teach them how to play and adapt instead of try the same things and expect to own people

That would assume they can even l2p
    • Up x 2
  9. Scr1nRusher

Thinking?:eek:

We cannot have that in Chaos Warp. ;)
    • Up x 1
  10. Jake the Dog

Weapon A. takes 2 minutes to become an adept with, but weapon B. and C take 4 hours to become an adept with similar results.

Weapon A. Has an effective range of: render Weapon B. has an effective range of render... IF you can hit your target, Weapon C. cant come close to that dps at range like the other two but can spam all of its shots at close range... achieving a similar dps to weapon A...

You see where I'm going mikey...
    • Up x 1
  11. _itg

I don't like this. It makes the gun even stronger at the ranges where it's already blatantly overpowered, but makes it worse at the ranges where it's actually balanced.
  12. Jake the Dog

Not quite, he's overlooking several glaring obstacles in the other weapons. Like for instance... The other 2 weapons need training videos apparently...
  13. Scr1nRusher

The other weapons are different interms of behavior/design.
  14. Jake the Dog

Yes, but the other weapons aren't effective at 400m...

You think I should post numbers to clarify certain aspects for people?
  15. Scr1nRusher

I think that you should point out(maybe in another thread) how the Enforcer & Saron are supposed to be long range weapons but they have issues that make them be mid range focused.
  16. Jake the Dog

We're discussing it here though, as it is I usually I am commenting on multiple threads or doing work on college courses in between so I try to keep my attention focused to specific areas.

Both solutions solve the GK problem, but option 2 is similar to how the devs solved the vulcan problem, so you can probably guess why I shy away from that idea. BUT it is a solution nonetheless.
    • Up x 1
  17. Jake the Dog

Lol we could always give it a burst fire mode akin the the Mjol XD
  18. Scr1nRusher

Option 2 is better.

Eases the crying & Salt flow while promoting loadout choices.
    • Up x 1
  19. Scr1nRusher

The Mjol needs a buff or 2.
    • Up x 2
  20. Jake the Dog

Thats your opinion sure, and it is balance. I just don't like when people sit at render range farming. It promotes bad gameplay (this coming from a prowler driver).