[Vehicle] How to fix the GK

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jake the Dog, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Scr1nRusher

Unfortunately I'm not that. :(
  2. Mezinov

I also support your idea of swapping Meowmeow and Cannisters roles. Beyond the fact I am offended the Meowmeow ended up just being a Grinder on a Kobalt arm, it makes more sense and allow the NC AI option to more follow the thematics (explosive launcher) of the VS and TR options.

This said, you can make the CQC AV Options have extreme damage drop-off over range, but the highest damage-per-shot in their Max damage range, paired with a rapid bloom and drop to "accuracy limit" them against distant targets.

On the opposite end of the scale, the Long Range AV options have the lowest damage-per-shot, but it is paired with a favorable Min and Max damage relationship, high velocity, limited bloom and limited drop.

Your Mid-Range options then exist as the middle ground. They don't do as much damage as the CQC options, but their damage drop off is less extreme. They do more damage than the Long Range options, but their damage drop off is more extreme. Their bloom and drop is less extreme than the CQC options, but more extreme than the Long range option.

To this end, the Saron can now stop trying to fill a dual role and lose its mag-dump feature. It can be returned to its "sniper like" qualities from Beta/Release with its brief charge up period, great projectile speed, and no drop. It is now the VS's long range option.

A new Mid-Range option can then be introduced for the TR and VS, and they can throw some stats on the NC Railgun model we already know exists for the NC Long Range options.

You have now created a balanced Risk-Reward scenario. Being CQC the CQC options carry the highest risk, but with the highest damage, can net the highest reward. The Long Range options carry the lowest risk, but with the lowest damage, net the lowest reward. The Mid-Range options balance Risk and Reward.
    • Up x 1
  3. Jake the Dog

I like you. I think everyone could be happy with this scenario. Breathing more life into the vehicle game would be nice and honestly... I don't know what I'd go with... I want to say I'd stick to my close range guns, like always, but with all those trade-offs I actually have to play it a bit more strategically.

Its also nice to see someone else sees switching the Mjol and canister around as a good idea. Never played much NC max, due to being a tanker primarily, but once I saw it... It couldn't be unseen.

*Sigh* If only devs actually read this kind of stuff...
  4. Scr1nRusher

What they have for NC's AI & AV is fine.

The Mjol just needs some more velocity.

Also...... I really hope the ES AI(ground) gets put on Sunderers at some point.
  5. GarryStutter

@mongychops

You mention the AP-titan (vanguard anti-vehicle main gun), performing slightly better than that of the VS magrider's counterpart.
    That is a bit unfair, it has high alpha, and less sustained. So it kill-steals/executes easier too, that doesn't mean it contributes or makes the difference, also loses damage to overkill easier. The one scenario is killing ESF in one hit which is overstated to infinity as there are plenty of combos that will do the same or similar things, especially with how often ESF are at least partially damaged.

That said, the gatekeeper is poor design, as it is literally an automatic sniper rifle that shreds everything, so it can lead its fire into targets with almost 0 drop. If this is how it is supposed to stay fix it like this.
    Lower velocity a tad bit, give it a wind up mechanic like the chain-gun, increase its spread at highest damages so it has to be bursted for longest range accuracy.

Long ranged secondaries and main guns to an extent are not supposed to be hover mouse button and hold until death, the enforcer I play a lot is what it should be. Easily dodged by fast targets, takes skill to land shots at long range. If you go with gatekeepers you shred all speed/range advantages/defenses. It is so terribad design I'm speechless.
  6. Scr1nRusher

I can just feel the stupid radiating off of this post.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jake the Dog

Its not far from my solution #1. He may not have read Mezinovs's post though. Saying that its an Auto sniper rifle isn't too far off, with the exception of zoom. In fact pretty sure its better than the standard TR sniper rifle lol damage and everything XD
  8. Scr1nRusher

XD

The Gatekeeper is like a Fracture & a basilisk had a baby.

Takes for ever to kill you, but hey its the color red.
    • Up x 1
  9. Villanuk

Well they dont. The GK is behind the VS and NC in terms of stats, so you can hardly justify the comment "shredding"
    Who says secondary's cannot be long range? The TR do not have anything long range and now we do.
    The Lancer is very long range, like no other launcher, but thats ok is it and its the top launcher is performance stats.
    NC have Ravens and Phoenix, weapons that can be shot behind a hill and still hit a target, no other faction has that unique feature.

So every faction has something diverse, their more items of course, but unique is not op, its just different.
    • Up x 1
  10. Mezinov

It is unfortunate. The community as a whole has designed many systems, of varying degrees of difficulty to implement, that the current and past development teams either lack the capability to implement (in manpower or resources; they obviously know how to code and arts) or feel contradicts their vision of the game.

This is especially unfortunate as, at this point, it has become fairly obvious that the devs lack of resources (Phase 2? Of anything?) has made it impossible for the playerbase to begin to conceptualize their vision for the game. We are playing with a game, however much we love it, that we have to admit was rushed through production and currently composed almost entirely of half realized ideas and aborted concepts.

As such the developers vision and the players vision are irreconcilable.

However; we are at a point in the games lifespan that this unrealized developer vision has to be scrapped. Right or wrong, the vision of those players who played, continue to play, or are starting to play is the only one that matters. They are the lifeblood of this platform, and its key to financial success.

Personally I could write an entire manifesto of suggestions, that would largely only require the adaption of existing code, of what could bring us to a Planetside 2 2.0 Launch made entirely of ideas that have been generally liked by those involved in their threads and would add significant depth to gameplay...

But my feeling on the matter is, What is the Point? I do not participate in Reddit or Twitter, through my own personal choice, so to me - there is no development team.
    • Up x 1
  11. Celeris

It takes the exact same time to kill anything at any range. It's not like anyone could possible miss shots with a weapon with a skill ceiling that low.
    • Up x 1
  12. Flag

Was it now? The only truly outstanding metric it had over the other ESAI weapons was the Time (and as a consequence the total kills) spent with one, and its one outstanding characteristic was the outstanding ease of use at range (and apparently these two were reason enough for a nerf). Interestingly enough, the GK shares this with the pre-nerf PPA; Used in great numbers, and being hilariously easy to use at long range compared to the competition.

At least the PPA was AI only.

What was wrong with the Halberd as long range for TR?
    It was just fine for VS and NC, so ... are you going to embrace your inner Bazino and claim the TR one was weaker?

As for why TR aren't really used in SS? Go ask the people who do the planing if you want a straight answer to this question. I won't answer that on a public forum, although I will say that the GK doesn't change anything really to change the faction pick rate (harassers and MBTs are barely used anyway).
    Now if you want to go looking through the SS results, check the win% for TR.
  13. Scr1nRusher

(facepalm)
  14. Chal

I keep seeing this " TR have no long range option other than the GK" on these GK threads do you guys (TR in general) not class the Halberd as a long range option?

Pre-GK you had a perfectly viable long range option with the Halberd and the deadliest long range main gun with the lockdown AP prowler, tank balance was good for a long time.

Having said that I've got no problem with the GK on the Prowler I think the main issue is with the harasser. Too many are running 1/3 and turreting on hills with them it's an almost identical situation to the PPA days. Easy to use spamable weapon whos KPH/KPU isn't much different to the other empires equivalent guns but the amount of people using them is alot higher so it makes them feel OP.

An easy fix would be to remove the gatekeeper/saron/enforcer from harassers let them focus on what they are perfect for CQC hit and runs with the Vulcan/Aphelion/Mjolnir though the Mjolnir badly needs a buff to bring it up the the others level.
    • Up x 1
  15. Scr1nRusher

The Halberd is NS not ES.

TR never had any long range ES AV before the Gatekeeper.
  16. Chal

It still does the job just as well as the saron or enforcer what difference does it make that it's NS? They had/have a long range option in the Halberd just cause it's not unique for them is no reason to ignore it.
  17. Scr1nRusher

How are you not understanding this?

ES =/= NS.
  18. Jubikus

I like the gatekeeper because it works well with long range shelling that the prowler is good at its damage isnt the greatest and if you can only see a sliver of your target its going to miss shots because of the tiny COF it has(and i mean tiny) but with the prowler at the distances it typically engages any damage is a bonus and thats what makes it great that and it allows you to solo harasser since you can get into position far away and plink at targets. The drawback to the weapon is its low alpha damage and damage per shot this leaves the weapon pretty piss poor for defending your tank against infantry which is why a few people i know dont use the weapon and prefer the halberd instead.
  19. Flag

So what? How on Earth/Auraxis does that justify the GK being better than the Saron, Enforcer and Halberd?
  20. Moridin6

and returning fire on one, especially the H version, ESPECIALLY with a magrider.. .
    you Might hit once before they move or yourr tank pops