Good Pay to win game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by InvalidTarget, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steppa

Ah, nihilism.

I'm sure it will serve you well in the years to come.

Spend an hour or two in daily decompression and vacuous entertainment. We can all use the escapism. Use the other two to four hours improving your lot in life and making sure you're not wasting it.
  2. Owleyes

LOL pay to win, cheapest pay to win game ever in that case.

My first MMO you had to spend 1500$ minimum or your fail.
  3. Rusky

Only thing i'd like to see (and some of it has already been confirmed as upcoming) is SC unlocks sticking to all your chars and maybe the gun addons only needing unlocking once (why should i unlock the same scope/silencer etc for every single gun ).

OT: Game is free. Pay or not, play or not, up to you. Too much whining on these forums.
  4. Monnor

OMG i have tears in my eyes, and my belly hurts, cant laugh anymore. please stop.
  5. Krona

Lol go try blacklight retribution if you want pay 2 win.
  6. icesail

Why? you can buy pretty much everything with in-game currency, and if you are talking the AMR, the bar will still beat the AMR, since it has a faster scope-in time, as long as you know how to get head shots.

And, the cost for items/guns using in-game currency is actually pretty fair. It does not take 70 hours of grinding to unlock one weapon. And you are forgetting that most attachments are universal unlocks, so once you unlock them, they are available in all weapons that support that attachment, you don't have to buy the same scope in all the weapons you own that support said scope.
    So the therm 4x in BL was 350 points, but I can use it in all my 8 weapons, including pistols.
    In this game, I own around 15 guns, and I have to unlock the 30 cert NV scope in every single one of them. Same with softpoint ammo, or forward grip, or whatever.
    • Up x 1
  7. lobe44

I love this argument that F2P games are free so we should accept being bullied by the company and we should accept poor customer service and we should accept a environment where non paying members are set up to fail...

If this were 2002 I might agree but I dunno if you guys have been under a rock for over a decade but in case you haven't noticed F2P is the MOST common model for ANY mmo out their today and is FAR MORE profitable than pay to play. And it is possible to create a completely fair game that is free to play. I mean if Mobas can do it(with the exception of LoL) games like Dota 2 or HoN both are completely balanced.

for instance in HoN they have this thing called Early Access where you pay money to gain access to a hero for 2 weeks and get a bonus avatar before it is released to the public. Its not really overpowered because the hero has already gone through testing by SBT(super beta testers) and everyone gets access to the hero eventually anyways. And then you have the currency model gold and silver gold being the one you pay cash for and silver being the one you earn per game. If you play with 4 friends you can get 20+ silver per game most avatars cost 500. So in just a few short months you could easily have 20+ this is totally acceptable considering you are spending 0$ and having fun and what you are getting for all this silver is completely cosmetic.

Its when you start to have to pay for weapons or upgrades to stats or something like that where the playing field gets heavily shifted. This is one of the only things I don't like about planetside 2. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to unlock just a few weapons on all the classes this is assuming you put 0 into your class certs. And considering how big of a part of the game this is this is unacceptable.
  8. Aliasse

Guns in the game aren't "Pay2Win" you can get them in-game if you spend the time to unlock it. Spend 1 week working on it and you'll get the wpn without paying for it.
  9. Judgement

Pay to win is essentially allowing weapons to be attainable but at a ridiculous amount of time sink which most of the good weapons are in this game and then adding a price to it that makes it easy to attain just by going out buying station cash then using it to buy the weapon in 1/10th of the time it would take to acquire it. That is what pay to win is for everyone that is wondering.
  10. Louis Farrakhan

if that expensive weapon doesnt give an advantage, you dont win.

so planetside 2 is pay 2 not win.

cant u just be grateful and happy with the tons of 250 cert weapons you can easily unlock, instead of drooling for the 1k cert ones without wanting to spend money to support the game?
  11. Diiiii

get the facts right ps2 is not and i repeat IS NOT p2w Pay 2 win means you can buy stuff weapons/upgrades etc ONLY with Real money and for ps2 this aint the fact
  12. TheArchetype

I'm guessing from the structure of this post that you're either too mad to care or awfully young. Either way though, I agree with the just of what you're saying and I think SOE needs to make some changes.
  13. Jezs

Solution to everything: Make free to play games with no advantages in paying real money.

Oh wait.
    • Up x 1
  14. -Crotalus-

Yeah people said that for a long time about threads like this on Star Wars galaxies, how's that game doing btw?
    • Up x 1
  15. Skadi

Didnt play it.
    Also im paying them money, and im sure not "winning" by this games standards, actualy, i get the most kills with my free tank weapons and free cert upgrades.
  16. Arcanum

It's a lie to say it doesn't give you advantages over pure cert players though.

Though starter gear compared to unlockables is pretty balanced. The biggest obvious exceptions being pretty much the Shredder/lib tailgun which are obvious cashgrabs since the Zepher used to be default. The devs don't seem the type to try balance items by scarcity so cashgrab was probably the intent.

And other more inarguable examples are C75 Viper vs the real Lightning weapons(though HEAT is so cheap it almost feels mean to cite this, and there are some rare situations where the Viper is sorta nice to have). Possibly starter/low cost Bolt Action vs Long Range one, if rechamber times and magazine capacities are not worse for the later. Arguably pre-nerf HE. There are probably some others I'm forgetting(or don't know about in the case of carbines and ARs) but while it's pretty slippery I realize most of the other weapons do have real (sortof) effective drawbacks even if very arguable.

I think you wouldn't hear most complaints about the cash shop if having say, ten thousand certs didn't make you so much better than a player with no certs, and if the path to the first 10 thousand certs wasn't filled with so much grinding and also stuff like unlock padding. But then people wouldn't be as pressured to pay and so there would be risk of them paying less.
  17. CWBOU812

The game is certainly pay to win. As a new player that just tried the game for a few hours, I was constantly getting dropped by players with fancy armor and fancy guns, normally by the very first bullet out of there gun...BOOM dead just like that. Any time you have an in game cash shop that gives overpowered weapons that you can buy with a credit card, that IS pay to win..regardless of if you can spend 100 years and earn the same stuff in game....if you can buy it fast with cash and have a great advantage over stock players, its pay2win. Too bad, it seems like if it wasnt pay to win, and everyones gear was EVEN, it could actually be fun. Another game ruined by pay2win BS, GG SoE.
  18. CWBOU812

Just because you can spend all week and maybe get enough to buy one gun, doesnt make it non pay to win. You can still grab a credit card, buy a bunch of OP gear, and have a big advantage over other players. If you couldnt do that, and the ONLY way to earn new weapons was by what you are doing THEN it wouldnt be pay to win, understand? As long as there IS a pay to win option, which there certainly is, then it IS in fact pay2win.
  19. Tobax

Things can't cost less certs or no one would spend money on weapons, stop being cheap asking for more free stuff in a free to play game.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.