Good Pay to win game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by InvalidTarget, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceM

Yes it is a pay to win game!

So what? The certs still take ages to unlock. Donkey is right also. Lower SC prices because it will attract more players and that's what we need!

Seriously guys pay or don't pay but you can't be complaining about SOE making some money with this game. Thats just how it works! The more they make the better the content will be in the future.
  2. PandoraAce

>implying SOE is getting it wrong
    >implying SOE doesn't know what they're doing
    >implying SOE isn't following a microtransaction plan that is paying off
    >implying SOE wouldn't change it if it didn't
  3. mrwiggles

This is the way I see it. Purely my opinion, anyone is welcome to disagree, no hard feelings :)

Background-
    I am a freelancer that designs web applications. I do this at an hourly rate of $40 per hour.
    I also am very new to the Planetside 2 community, so unfortunately my certs per hour is only about 150. I play casually with a group of guys that are 9-5ers like me.

Example Situation-
    Let's say I want to unlock rocketpods for my mosquito. They are either 1000 certs or $7. I have two options:
    1. Farm for a little under 7 hours. I would effectively be getting 'paid' $1 per hour.
    2. 'Farm' at work for real money for 1 hour and make $40.

To me, it makes no sense to go with option 1. It has nothing to do with 'pay to win' or anything of the sort, it's just a simple question.

What is the optimum way of getting what I want?
  4. forkyar

• Up x 1
  5. forkyar

6. UzumakiW

I was actually speaking of MicroVolts specifically, lol.
  7. Withnail

I've been playing this game for a few weeks now (Played Ps1 for years) haven't paid a cent yet and guess what... I'm loving it!

I've been playing, getting a decent amount of kills and I haven't been forced to spend anything on it and not once have I felt I've died because a player has paid for better equipment than me.

I think the problem with the mentality of some players is that they refuse to believe it was down to their lack of skill that they died. In Ps1 it used to be hacking, there would always be that percentage of players that are so blinded by their own 'leetness' if you killed them you must be a 'hacker'... No other explanation.

Now it seems if you kill them, you must have 'Paid to Win'.

Yawn...

Kids these days eh, don't know they're born ;)
  8. TomoB

I noticed that best way to get points is run between generators in base and defuse them as enemies constantly come back from wherever they come from and rig them to blow, but it gets boring as (#%(#% quick.
  9. Sinoby

I don't see it as clear pay to win. Even resources-wise I rarely see vehicle resources as limitation unless we are being camped the warpgate. And ingantry redources is even less of a problem - one can just stockpile items with ease and use them when needed. No problem here in my opinion.
  10. Dam187

Like I said all the advantages a SC paying player has can easily-once again I say-EASILY over come.
    SC pay player:
    1) Early Unlocks
    2) Resource Boosts
    Those are the reasons most lazy players claim that PS2 is a pay2win.
    FTPlayer over comes advantages:
    1) (After time spent & cert used) FTP finally gets same weapon unlocked. The advantage disappears because both the SC pay player & the FTPlayer now has the same weapon.
    2) The SC pay player's advantage in resource boosts are moot if the FTPlayer shoots first.
    "But Dam187, I'm a slow person who can't press a button faster than the other guy."
    Okay so you are slow at pressing buttons than give them a fight in numbers. A SC pay player is definitely at a disadvantage if its 2 vs 1 because anyone is at a disadvantage 2 vs 1. FTPlayers start tag teaming SC pay players and then their advantages are moot.
    "But Dam187, what if we go 2vs1 a SC pay Player and he gets another SC pay player to back him up?"
    Really? Then you get another FTPlayer to back you guys up. So then its 3 vs 2.
    "But Dam187, we tried 2vs1 and we got owned."
    Did one of you guys come up from behind him or like guard dogs you both rushed the SC player?
    "But Dam187, did you forget? I'm slow at pressing buttons."
    Okay real simple fix here. Get another FTPlayer so it is 3 vs 1.
    "But Dam187-"
    Fine. I get it. You're slow (Dumb, stupid) at pressing buttons (have no skills at any game) and you don't like using your own brain (Lazy).
    That still doesn't make Planetside 2 a pay2win. (That just makes you (the guy claiming PS2 is a pay2win) slow & lazy.)
  11. Jestunhi

No.

You can't just make up definitions.

That would be like me claiming that PS2 is not free to pay because I have to pay for the internet connection, the phone line, the electricity and the computer itself.

If everyone just uses their own definition then no one knows what is actually being discussed.
  12. Haskaal

No model is perfect. Get over it children.
  13. Dam187

Like I said all the advantages a SC paying player has can easily-once again I say-EASILY over come.
    SC pay player:
    1) Early Unlocks
    2) Resource Boosts
    Those are the reasons most lazy players claim that PS2 is a pay2win.
    FTPlayer over comes advantages:
    1) (After time spent & cert used) FTP finally gets same weapon unlocked. The advantage disappears because both the SC pay player & the FTPlayer now has the same weapon.
    2) The SC pay player's advantage in resource boosts are moot if the FTPlayer shoots first.
    "But Dam187, I'm a slow person who can't press a button faster than the other guy."
    Okay so you are slow at pressing buttons than give them a fight in numbers. A SC pay player is definitely at a disadvantage if its 2 vs 1 because anyone is at a disadvantage 2 vs 1. FTPlayers start tag teaming SC pay players and then their advantages are moot.
    "But Dam187, what if we go 2vs1 a SC pay Player and he gets another SC pay player to back him up?"
    Really? Then you get another FTPlayer to back you guys up. So then its 3 vs 2.
    "But Dam187, we tried 2vs1 and we got owned."
    Did one of you guys come up from behind him or like guard dogs you both rushed the SC player?
    "But Dam187, did you forget? I'm slow at pressing buttons."
    Okay real simple fix here. Get another FTPlayer so it is 3 vs 1.
    "But Dam187-"
    Fine. I get it. You're slow (Dumb, stupid) at pressing buttons (have no skills at any game) and you don't like using your own brain (Lazy).
    That still doesn't make Planetside 2 a pay2win. (That just makes you (the guy claiming PS2 is a pay2win) slow & lazy.)
  14. Garantine

Someone is angry that they are spending 8 hours of their day in a cubicle only to come home to an angry wife and dirty diapers.

Your baby is crying, may want to go wipe that ***. Merry Xmas!
  15. Vanon

So if this is pay to win, then what would be a more fair system? What does the OP believe you SHOULD get for paying money to support the game? A special hat for your character?
  16. Isila

1. Drop by your local wal-mart and pick up four of their $15 SOE cards (they have a bonus 500 to get 2000SC for $15)
    2. Wait for a triple sale
    3. Redeem cards
    4. For $60 (I.E. the price you would pay to purchase any other game) you now have 24,000 ($240 worth) of SC. Go buy every weapon you could ever possibly want to unlock and have plenty left over for getting a few must-haves on other chars.
    5. Now you don't have any excuse. You play for certs.
  17. Wintergrey

I don't think $7.00 is too expensive. There are servers to run and staff to pay.
    1000 Cert points might feel a little too high but it's still achievable.

It's not P2W though. None of the paid guns are overpowered compared to the free starters.
    Each of the weapons suits a different style of play.
    If you're the kind of player to run headlong at the enemy then a ground-air-lock-launcher that cannot fire without locking-on is useless to you anyway.
    Free trials are available of each weapon so by the time you save 1000 points you'll know exactly which gun you want.

If this was P2W you'd see everyone who has spent money on the game running around with the same "best" weapon until a new group of weapons is released and everyone has to pay to upgrade just to stay alive.
  18. Garantine

That is an interesting viewpoint, and certainly not invalid, however, I would simply ask these questions:

If the optimum way of getting what you wanted was to cert each item, what would be the incentive to make use of their cash shop at all? Why would anyone actually pay for an item if it was *ALWAYS* easier to cert that item? What possible way would they have to make money from the cash shop that they spent development time and money to create? Other than the subs (which would be less appealing if certifications were significantly easier to acquire) what would they have as a stream of revenue to continue to develop for and support this game?

It seems like what people want is for SOE to simply give you every item that has a gameplay impact and somehow maintain a MMO off of cosmetic sales alone, there is an obvious reason they aren't doing this.
  19. Wintergrey

That is, of course, why it is "easier" to pay for what you want.
    A lot of money is needed to run an online game.
    There is a second side to the model though.
    Those who cannot or who choose not to pay for their weapons are "forced" to play longer for them.
    This is good for the community as these people become regular players and become very good at playing the game.
    Anyone who works hard enough to earn 1000 cert (as well as all their necessary upgrades along the way) hasn't wasted their time griefing or team killing.
    If everything was certs the server would be broke in a week.
    If everything was cash there wouldn't be as many people on the server to play with.

Eve is a subscription based MMO with an economy which allows you to pay for your subscription with in-game currency.
    This is fantastic for the game as the people who do the most amount of work for the economy and therefore the community (mining, trading, etc) are kept playing for free.
  20. TheFatKid

Most people spend this much recreational time in front of a screen every, single, day - average.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.