[Suggestion] Get rid of Medical kits, it's just used by experience players to Camp and kill newer players

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by G.O.A.T, Jan 9, 2022.

1. G.O.A.T

HP recovery shouldn't be instant.....A person can screw up and go from 1 health to being fully health/fully shieled in seconds....In a game where you get waves of players pushing every 5-10 seconds, it's a complete bailout........Im not saying people shouldn't have any health regen but it shouldn't be instant like that, it completely bails people out from screws up in a couple of seconds.....It should take a bit longer IMO.

I think players should be penalized for a bit if they screw up, they shouldn't be instantly healed.

Medkits are 100% why it's EASIER for experience players to own new players...100%....Why? Because you can simply take on them in waves and heal urself asap, I seen it/done it, just zigzag, runaway, insta heal and you come back for the kills.......You can easily 1 vs 2/3 new players like this....It would be much harder if they didn't have an insta heal, suddenly a waves of 2 or 3 new players will be too much to handle.
  2. G.O.A.T

You sound afraid to face people without ur medkits.....

Suddenly it will be harder to go on killstreaks because it will take actual skill since you won't go from 20% health to 100% ASAP.....You're the skilless here, you know you can't take on multiple people and keep killstreaks as easy without medkits....If anything it LOWERS THE SKILL CEILING for keeping killstreaks alive.

Real skill is staying at 30% below health and still going on a killstreak with no insta heal bailout BS!

It will actually ADD more skill since if you stay at 30% below health, you're dodging/ZigZag game will need to be on point because it doesn't take much to kill you.

I want the game to reward skill......I don't want a bailout to make killstreaks easy....I want new players/worse players to be able to rush a more experience/veteran and not have medkits bail them out.

As for medics, I agree they should rework them and a medkit removal will make their healing way more important now...but that's another thread.
  3. RabidIBM

Another approach could be to change their effect. I'm thinking of Left 4 Dead where players could self heal by completing a channeled ability which would restore 80% of missing HP. This way health kits could still be good, but not so cheesey
    • Up x 1
  4. G.O.A.T

I wouldn't mind that, an animation for a few seconds.....I know they will hate this because it will hurt their bottom line which is getting kills easily.

This is what the medic kits loves is all about, it's about making it easy to stay alive and get kills....They don't care about balance or the grand scheme of the game.
  5. Somentine

You can't go from 1 health to fully shielded and healed, and most of the time you are only getting 200-300 health out of the medkit as you aren't using it at 1 hp or even 100. To put it into perspective, a 143 (the most common) will do that in 2 bullets in a fraction of the time it takes to use a medkit.

Combined with multiple back-to-back uses and shuffling, it can make some fights pretty stupid, but you are blowing this so far out of proportion it isn't even funny.

Like losing all your shields + having a 2-4 second window where you aren't shooting back? Seems like a pretty big deal to me.

No it isn't. If anything, that's Adrenaline and/or Assimilate that allows you to take on hordes of crops. 'Insta healing' the average of 250 health, that requires you to swap and make yourself vulnerable, in a time where you could be reloading or doing something else isn't why good players trash on bads.

Further, the whole reasoning for lowering the skill ceiling because of new players is a bad argument from the start. This isn't a case of a mechanic that is causing even scrubs to kill the better players in the game, this is a case of the better players in the game ******** on the newest/worst players in the game, and you can't balance for that unless you want some high floor, low ceiling trash gameplay.
    • Up x 2
  6. G.O.A.T

Most of the time you won't go to 1 health but going down to 50-30% health after an engagement is normal...insta healing, waiting/zigzagging for like 5 seconds is enough to save people, it's a bailout.

It's not an exaggeration and specially not when it's low pop and it can be easily abused if you face a group of newish players who will face you in 5-10 second waves....That enough to get yoursekf to 100% health/shield.

2-4 seconds It's not a big deal....This game is full of Corners/Cover, is easy as hell to run away for 4-10 seconds get ur shields to regen and comeback....2-4 second where you don't shoot is nothing when your running away around a corner...specially if you have friendlies nearby, is easy as hell to escape.

Adrenaline shield/Assimilate Heavy with NO MEDKIT will get destroyed if he was on a POINT....why? Sure he might initially get a boost with his shield regen if he gets a kill....but if it was a close battle, he won't have any health, he will most likely die ASAP after the first engagement/2nd engagment......Medkits on the other hand save your *** and can keep you on a point way longer without redeploying....A Medkit allows you take on a horde way easier.....Adrenaline Shield/Assimilate + Medkit is very powerful and heavies love that combo, however is not a 100% sure thing since you need to get kills + Headshots to make Adrenaline shield/assimilate be effective....and it's only really useful if u face multiple people at once, useless in 1 vs 1s.....Medkit you just have to push a button and run away and is useful in 1 vs 1s and against multiple people...Medkit is way more valuable than Adrenaline Shield/Assimilate if a person had to pick...But if people want to nerf Adrenaline Shield/Assimilate, Im fine with that, but that's another thread.

Lowering the skill Ceiling? LMFAO, how? Medkits make its easier to go on killstreaks, way easier...IF anything it lowers the skill ceiling since going on killstreaks is easy as hell, Just run around the corner/zigzag for 2-4 seconds and heal....Not hard at all lol.

The Ceiling will become higher because getting killstreaks will actually require higher Game IQ + Better dodging skills since staying alive at 30% health is way harder than insta healing in 2-4 seconds.

This is a case of Veterans wanting an easy game mechanic that makes kill streaks easier, simple as that...It doesn't add skill...It makes it easier for Good players/campers to camp easier....., switching/clicking, none of that is skill.

Veterans with no insta heal medkits, will make it way harder to take on multiple opponents even if the opponents are newish/suck, killstreaks will be harder......Removing medkits adds skill to the game.

Making it harder to Live and get killstreaks = more Skill/ Higher skill Ceiling....simple as that, no mental gymnastics can overcome that fact.
  7. Somentine

50% is 250 health, 30% is only 350 health.
    One 200 model headshot is 400, one 143 model headshot is 286.

Not only is that long af between 'waves', but Assim/Adren will be enough to sustain you against newish players, who will probably not even break your OS if heavy, or regular shield if not.

So now they aren't shooting anything for up to 14 seconds, 2-4 of which are them literally not even being able to fight back, and you don't think that's penalty enough? lol.

Not only does Adren and Assim not have a soft cooldown due to animations, but together they can restore as much, if not more, than a medkit while being able to actually fight back.

Yes, Assim isn't guaranteed, but we are talking about good players killing bad/new players, and there absolutely is a difference in how easy it is to headshot them.

And yes, medkits are important, but they are in no way the reason new players are losing fights, and are in no way the major reason you can take on 'hordes' of new players.

If they are so easy, then why is this a problem? Tell every new player to equip them and let them go forth and slaughter players, since it is so easy to get kill streaks with medkits, right?

If they can't, then it isn't directly a problem with medkits, and you are trying to remove mechanics that are fun for higher level play.

No it won't, it will just mean those without any, or with lower, medics will be rolled over constantly (assuming you mean to also remove the resto kits in this context? Because they would be the next go-to if medkits were removed, and they heal 70 HPS (2-3 seconds to go to full in most cases).

No, this is a case of people not wanting to stand around waiting for some medic to top them off, or wait around for a terrible implant to regen them.

It is also the case of you not wanting people to heal up after fights. The argument about how strong/abusable medkits were had some validity, but now you are just arguing for different game mechanics in general.

Hardly, while it will affect the fun and higher skill in other areas. Balancing around lower skilled players (like with the case of NWA), doesn't add skill, it removes it.

Instead, it means that when you do encounter players at your same skill level, you are almost always going to be at a disadvantage in health unless you constantly ask to be babysat by medics, while still being able to chop down crops easily with Adren and Assim.
    • Up x 1
  8. G.O.A.T

You want easy mode to Camp, that's it....It will affect you K/D Ratio in the grand scheme of things thus is why you don't want it.....It will make killstreaks harder/camping harder.

The game is full of cover, corners...It's really easy to run away for 4-10 seconds total get insta health/get some shield or near all shield, and comeback to kill people.....It's not hard at all to stay alive for 4-10 seconds zig zaggin/running away lol....Easy as hell.

I don't give a damn about Adrenaline shield/Assimilate, like I said nerf em, but that's a different thread....Med kits are way more useful in most situations.

Yeah tell New Players to go fight veterans...Lose then face them 4-10 seconds later with their health/shields regen because of medkit lol............It allows good players to own new/bad players without any penalty....It makes it easy as hell to go on killstreak/Camps.....Like I said, skilless people like you don't like this because you know your K/D ratio will suffer because of this.......Without insta heal, holding points will be harder, it will take more skill..

Exactly you Don't want any penalty for getting shot/hurt.....You want ur health to instatly heal, that isn't skill.....I want people to heal up in fights, not just in 1 second ASAP.......Sorry can't have a bailout that fast, that ain't skillful....

Restoration kit will replace it, IMO they should make a tad slower.....but people will still heal, it just won't be an ASAP bailout....I say atleast 10-13 seconds to go from 0.1% to 100%....Fair as hell, Shield will regen meanwhile aswell, a person should be 100% to in 10-13 seconds...That doesn't seem like a bad thing to me, fair as hell and adds more consequences to the game, makes it harder to stay alive... ....That is way more fair/skillful than instant health regen....This way if there's people behind the guy you just killed/ you're gonna have to ZIGZAG/Dodge for a while since you won't have 100% health ASAP....That adds skill to the game since it make the killstreak harder.

This is why games like Quake/Halo 1/etc are skillful games, you actually need to pick up health to keep killstreaks alive.....No Easy mode of switching weapons and healing ASAP lol.

In the end of the day if this were to happen ur K/D Ratio for u and all medkit campers will go down...that's the real fear in all of this.
  9. Somentine

No, it will make camping easier because you will be able to sit and regen your shields.
    It will make aggressive playstyles harder, because you won't be able to sit and regen shields, won't have medics to healbot you.

You just want this to affect your K/D Ratio in the grand scheme of things thus is why you want it.

But why does that matter? They are now out of the fight while regenerating shields, in the same time a medic or (assuming you don't want to also remove them) resto kit will heal you up.

This has gone from in combat instant heals to some other mechanic that it barely affects.

No, they aren't. It isn't even a debate. At absolute best you get 1996 health out of all 4 medkits. AT ABSOLUTE BEST, over a 6-8 second time, while not being able to fight back at all, and that can also be as low as literally 0-4 HP at worst.

There is a reason literally every good player in the game runs Assim on everything except shotguns/kninves (and sometimes even those), and a reason every heavy uses Adren (while solo). On the other hand, medkits are occasionally replaced by c4.

And they don't need a real nerf, just a change to make them regen over a very short time (1-2 seconds) instead of instantly.

If it's so skillless, and i'm so skillless, than any skillless player should be able to do it skilllessly like I skillessly do; very skilllessly.

And that's your opinion, which is fine, but ignoring all the penalties and costs of using it mid-combat is not, and you are so stuck on them surviving, when in the vast majority of cases they don't, or don't even get the chance to heal at all.

First of all, making killstreaks harder isn't necessarily adding skill to the game, it's just slowing the game down.
    Second, i'd love to see you try to not shuffle and medkit your way to safety; instant healing or not, it isn't medkits that are a core issue, much like your championing of the newer player cause, it's a large number of factors that you are ignoring.

Sure, if there were random places for you to instantly heal up with health packs, you could make this comparison, but there isn't and this game isn't meant to be like those games in the first place.

This game is almost a carbon copy of BF:BC2 and BF3; both those games had instant heal packs AND regenerating health (if not on HC).

Why are you so fixated on KDR?
    We can compare our e-p33n stats if you really want.
    • Up x 3
  10. LodeTria

Remove medikits, keep resto kits.
    Remove adreneline shield.
  11. JustGotSuspended

How about you post a video of yourself camping with medkits, so we get an idea of how easy they are to use and how many new players you've made quit because of them?

So you were saying they affect 1v1s, then admit they're used to survives hordes of players. So the medkit basically just puts the players on even grounds for his next engagement (assuming his shields recharge fully as well). To be clear, you're complaining about the fact you're not versing a player with like 10hp after your 30 friendlies rushed the point and got killed by him. Really dude, if you're pushing in waves the dude should've even be able to recharge his shields so at max he'd have 500 + 407 or whatever's left of his HA shield. SO you still have the advantage anyways. It's not like a medkit gives the player more health than normal, it just puts him back to default.

So you're essentially complaining about having fair fight. And also the fact the dude is able to play longer without redeploying/getting killed. Dammit why can't everyone redeploy every minute! That would be so much more fun!

Also stop acting like it's a bailout for 'messing up' or whatever lmao. If you can't kill a guy who's not even shooting at you while he's popping a medkit, YOU'RE the one who messed up lol. Aim better and you won't have that issue. I still can't even understand how you let the situation you describe happen. Do you have footage by any chance? So you're shooting each other, and suddenly he just turns around, shuffles and medkits then disappears to his allies without any of you killing each other? If that's the case, you both screwed up and medkit doesn't change anything of the outcome lol. Let's be real, if you can't kill the dude before or even during the time he pops a medkit, you were never gonna kill him anyways. All the medkit does is put at max, 499 hp back, which is like 4 body shots or 2 headshots. It's not like it turns the dude into a zerker max or something lol. BEsides you could've popped one anyways!

Just admit it dude you're the one who messed up. Medkits had nothing to do with it.

Even with medkits getting big streaks is pretty tough. You want them removed to make streaks even harder. How does that benefit a new player lol? If medkits really are such gamechangers and easy bails for no skill players, you'd want new players to carry like 50 of them! The problem is you typically need to actually win the engagement before you can pop one, due to the obvious downsides. So no you're just complaining about dying to someone who wrecked you, then popped a medkit like you never existed and proceeded to clean up your allies. I'd go as far as saying you probably didn't even break the dudes shields. Medkits had no impact on your 1v1, they just put the dude back on the path towards having an equal engagement with your follow-ups, without the need to redeploy - maximum 4 times.

Besides talking about needing skill to get killstreaks in this game when there's OS, bastions, a2g, and a ton of other crap to easily get 100s of kills before dying is stupid. Complaining like the infantry that stays alive long enough to pop a medkit is going to get streaks to the same effect as the rest, and is going to be more cheesy to new players while doing so is just outright bs.

Compare this game to others that are nothing like it. Besides the time it takes to switch to the medkit is pretty similar to that of a self heal ability. You'd just be removing the limit of 4 and possibly movement reduction to add a different animation that one can use infinitely. That sounds like lowering the skill ceiling, but if you're cool with skilled heavies being able to regen forever over medkits, then sure lmao, I'm sure that would be more fun for everyone :rolleyes:

Also you forgot medkit doesn't restore shields anyways.
  12. CompletelyDeadCoyote

As a new player I was killed by:
    - Lib\Gal shooting from an orbit
    - ESFs, shooting from everywhere
    - Platoons, that played as a team and not as a cloud of raging baboons
    - MAXes
    - Players with good aim, who can make headshots from 50 meters with any weapon, it seams
    - Mines
    - Harrasers before they were nerfed
    - Harrasers after they were nerfed
    - Invisible Flashes
    - Invisible Ants

But I don't think I ever lost a fight to a medkit.
    Even as a new player I quickly understood, that you should learn to pick your fights. The ttk is so low, that no amount of medkits can save you from a player, who has good aim and fired first. So I say it's a made-up problem.
    • Up x 2
  13. CompletelyDeadCoyote

Yeahh... no vet in those game would have any advantage over a new player, dew to the knowledge of where to get those pickups and how to do it faster. Sure. New players in Quake-like games have such an easy time!
    It would be upsetting, for somebody who was good in those games that in PS2 they can't use the same skillset of picking up health that lies around like christmass gifts, of course. Well... time to learn and adapt!
    • Up x 1
  14. JustGotSuspended

Yeah exactly. Main issue for every new player I talked to was cloak and vehicles, most notably a2g.

Zergs and skilled vets (or their shiny gear/weapons) are also brought up often, but no one's ever complained about a medic to me lol.
    • Up x 1
  15. JibbaJabba

Yes, skilled vets use the sticks. Very skilled vets will use C4 instead during ops or at times during solo play.

This is NOT why new players get dunked on. A medkit has no impact on an engagement between a Vet and a noob. None.

A vet vs another closely matched vet will sometimes result in a mid engagement medstick. For the most part they get popped after the engagement and before the next.

Remove them? Get out of here. No.
    But add a 5-10 second cooldown? I do not think you would get much pushback from the vets that use them.

They do NOT make a medic obsolete. Finite, take a utility slot, cost nanintes, can't tether, don't rez, etc. Not going down that rabbit hole, it's rubbish.
    • Up x 2
  16. Term

An engagement that one player begins by taking fire and having to try to disengage and self heal is one where the aggressor has to play so poorly that he affords the "suprised player" the ability to outplay him 3 separate times.
    Scenario 1: On the opening of the engagement: Player 1 opens fire on Player 2. Player 1 has good aim and alpha damage and kills Player 2 very quickly. Wow, that was easy!

Scenario 2: Player 1 opens fire on Player 2 and misses a ton of shots. Player 2 recognizes his positioning in relation to Player 1 and attempts to get to cover by breaking off the engagement. Player 2 pulls a medkit and attempts to heal while moving to cover.
    Player 1 becomes flustered and sprays harder and longer. Do you ever notice they never just slow down or attempt setting up another position for a reengagement? So, in this first phase of the scenario, ****ter 1 can't capitalize on his surprise condition because poor aim.

Not killing the guy in phase 1 of this is 99.9% the engaging player's fault. When people do this to me and aim well, I simply die. The new medkits are NOT a reliable way to get away from people that can aim and actually land bullets.
    Phase 2 of the engagement is basically the part where Player completely break down in mental/skill capacity. Player 2 is now behind cover, healed but only green bar of health. He has a few options here. He can wait for blue and engage, engage at green or try and break off.

Waiting for blue is a good choice but takes more time. Repeeking with green is an aggressive play and an option if you're pretty sure you can outaim the guy that started on you (which might be smart since he's already demonstrated potato mode in phase 1). It's still a risk.
    Repeeking with green also has an aggressive advantage of catching someone off-guard who has also chosen an aggressive follow up. A repeeking guy with gun up against someone aggressive pursuing with gun down is an easy play here. In this game and this scenario, I will usually always repeek at green.
    So, what are Player 1's options? Well, if Player 1 kept a cool head during phase 1 and managed to spot the guy while he was trying to disengage instead of just angrily holding mouse 1 and screaming, he's got real options.
    I can use the spot Intel to either aggressively chase down my target and instantly know if he plans to turn and fight or if the target ends up only repositioning to take the engagement again shortly after, I can position myself and my gun in the best way available to suit another upcoming engagement.

As I've said in the past, this potential phase of the engagement is completely lost on bad infantry players .They are irrationally and illogically focused on the outcome of phase 1 in a game with laughably long TTK times.
    The obsession and irrationality of focusing on Phase 1 of a Planetside 2 infantry combat engagement would make sense if the game had, say, 3-5 body shot kill TTK. With the health being what it is, combined with the mechanics of the game (already nerfed, mind you)... It becomes a really heavy "L2P" issue, honestly.
    But back to the scenario.

Phase 3 of the engagement is the actual reengagement that stems from the decisions ****ter 1 and 2 made in phase 2. Most often times, the player that was able to disengage and get away and think will usually always be of higher skill than the aggressor. Mostly. This logically follows because a skilled aggressor generally will not find themselves in a phase beyond the opener. Again, aiming and positioning matter, even if you have the element of surprise.
    Player 2 reengages Player 1 and kills him with aim/positioning/reaction/reflex.

So, to recap... Phase 1? Player 1 gets the element of surprise (easy to do in this game) and outplays himself with either poor positioning for accurate fire or has poor aim/tracking. Player 2 reacts to the situation appropriately and gets away, albeit wounded. Player 1 is outplayed by himself (see accuracy/tracking/positioning to make the first two possible) and Player 2.
    Phase 2 (Bad player breakdown phase). Player 2 positions in cover and makes the decision how best to capitalize on Player 1's misplay. Player 1 becomes flustered and aggressively chases the kill he thinks he's already earned.
    Phase 3. Player 1 gets his reengagement on Player 2 and dies because he either played overaggressively, positioned poorly again and/or aimed poorly.
    Congrats, Player 1. You managed to get outplayed by your opponent a minimum of 3 times and even outplayed yourself in the most critical phase.
    "Nerf medkits. Medkits are why I lost. They break my immersion."
    • Up x 1
  17. homedepot51

i tell noobs to buy three when they start playing, because its cheap and the longer they live the more mistakes they can make and the more they can learn from
  18. JustGotSuspended

I honestly doubt a new player benefits from medkits, simply because they die before being able to pop them, and also they aren't aware they need to pop them while jumping to avoid a movement speed penalty so even if they do manage to pop one they'd be more vulnerable and likely die cuz they move slower.

This is true for nanoweave also actually, since new/returning players aren't aware it's equipped as default on HA and there's a movement penalty. I had to tell a couple returning dudes this week to remove it because it makes them a easier target since they move like a slug, and on top of that everyone goes for headshots anyways.
  19. homedepot51

still giving them a chance to live longer for 300 certs is still worth it imo
    • Up x 2
  20. TripSin

Obviously they do not make medic obsolete. But they obviously make medics less valuable and take away from their utility. Medic is by far my least favorite class to play, I imagine this is also true for much of the playerbase, and too many times I'll be going to heal someone and they just pop a medkit - rendering any healing by a medic unneeded.
    • Up x 1