Game Update 04: Coming soon!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sar Yehudah

It's been a few extra days now. I really hope the patch is coming today. also, I'd like to know if passive cert increases are permanent after buying a subscription.
  2. Targeht Redshirt

I really appreciate SOE being upfront and honest here and don't mind one-little-bit this info. is all tentative! I'm more excited about the game after reading this news, then I would be disappointed if any/all of it doesn't make it or is delayed. This transparency and what you're doing on the "roadmap" is going a long way to help improve customer perceptions of SOE. Keep it up!
    • Up x 2
  3. Gaylord AnAppropriateName

Sup guise, I didn't read through all 41 pages, but it stands to point out... The prowler will still kill infantry with flak armour with one reload. It will still be the only tank that can do that.

So this changes nothing. Did anyone else think of that?
  4. Gorion

Any news about release date??? 6 Days later... end of the "next week" .... ?!
    • Up x 1
  5. dshep87

You deserve to lose your tank if you just sit there. Oh and prowler drivers shouldn't complain cause you get deploy.o_O Can you even see what you're typing? You know that deploy gives faster reload and projectile speed, but forces the tank to be in one spot? You know that it takes time to mobilize the tank again after you take a 50% of your health rocket to the back, with another on the way (missile travel time + time for prowler to mobalize after deploy + reaction time + server lag = another shot on the way already) A vanguard will just throw on the shield, and magriders have been conditioned to strafe all the time or die to missile fire as well.

The thing is, a tank should be able to kill an infantry at range. If the tank is close, it should expect a short life due to infantry flanking. If you are being killed by tanks, flank them. If there are 20 tanks out there, then you didn't do the first part. If it's a tank zerg, then you should spawn some where else and flank them. Go get a galaxy with all your infantry that are angry and drop onto that column. Turns out, tanks resist shooting even when enemy infantry are right next to them. Even if they do shoot, half the time it will detonate the explosives that were set anyway.

This game is about combined arms being used to achieve victory, but I didn't realize combined arms also referred to complaining on the forums until your enemies are fighting you with nerf tanks, and nerf bullets, and paper airplanes making "pewpew you are dead. why didn't you fall over." noises :p
  6. dshep87

If they are complaining because they are not using tactics. Then they are part of the zerg. Which is also probably part of a tank zerg. My outfit regularly will pull back from a heavily defended attack, and return from a different direction. Sometimes dropping directly onto the enemy armor. There is always something diffferent you can be doing to improve the situation.
  7. dshep87

drNovikov, I see you a lot on the battlefield. Both on the killing and being killed sides. Some days, your proximity mines near NC sunderers are my bane :p
  8. pottman

Is there a date for this, or are we going to wait til Saturday?
    • Up x 1
  9. Jezs

Pretty sure that's already been done
  10. drNovikov

I often add some C4 or AT to them :)
  11. GalacticBulge

No patch this week. I believe they only release on Wednesdays, so hopefully it'll be ready next week.
  12. biterwylie

What? They always release new bugs on a Friday!
    • Up x 1
  13. NovaAustralis

This. This. This.
    • Up x 4
  14. NovaAustralis

I agree partially.
    1 tank vs. a TEAM of infantry = dead tank.
    1 grunt vs. a tank (or tankS) = dead grunt.

IRL tanks are immobilised and/or destroyed by TEAMS of infantry with the right gear.
    There is no such thing as a lone-wolf rambo killing a tank on their own.

If I gave you a block of C4 and a detonator, a SRAAW, an anti-tank mine and .50 AM rifle and pitted you against an M1 Abrams with a Commander manning the 7.62mm pintle, a gunner and a loader with a 120mm smoothbore (with IRNV and scopes) and a 7.62mm coax and a driver concentrating on where they are all going, I would put ALL my money on the Abrams crew OWNING your lonesome.

Now if there was a TEAM of, say 8, guys with the same kit as you had, then I'd be more inclined to put my money on the grunt team owning the Abrams.

This is how it works IRL and how it SHOULD work in PS2...

TEAMWORK.
  15. Epoch187

I agree partially.
    I give it 50/50...
    **** Not exactly true, you give 1 man/grunt/woman/other a block of C4, and no regard for their own life = dead tank IRL, and
    yes there are *tons* of single individuals killing or disabling (mobility kill) tanks by their lonesome, refer to Israel v Palestine, AQ v USA, etc...

If I gave you a block of C4 and a detonator it should = dead tank as the fact tanks can only enter tech plants, air towers, etc via one route, and you simply put the C4 down and wait, however with the current splash just putting a round somewhat near the doorway will cause a death, and that's really the fact that is obscene. Having been close to a number of explosions in my life, I would kill for the prowler rounds to be equipped on a IRL MBT and used.

Also IRL 1 shot rocket/missile launcher = dead tank ref->

Just my two cents, feel free to disagree.
    • Up x 1
  16. Hades Serpent

I already use my Hailstorm primarily when killing infantry, on high-speed strafing runs, so watch me not care. :p Pilots like me are going to be the ones that have infantry screaming for a nerf to the hailstorm, vortek, and whatever that TR pew-pew gun is.
  17. NovaAustralis

I quoted this:
    You quote me, with this:
    Well okay then.
    You might have missed why I emphasised Entarticus' quote, but that's cool.
    I think you're kind of agreeing?
  18. Otulien

Your version of "soon" eludes me SOE.
  19. NovaAustralis

Agree to disagree...

IRL a single footmobile getting a kill on a crewed tank is a RARE thing.
    We can all find examples of the exception to the norm, but that doesn't change the norm.
    Whereas in PS2 single footmobiles not only regularly get kills on crewed tanks, but sometimes MULTIPLE crewed vehicles...

Are you aware of how effective the Chobham and/or Reactive armour of IRL modern tanks just is?
    One stick of IRL C4 will do some damage to an IRL MBT sure, but there's no guarantee of a kill or immobilisation.
    The PS2 tanks seem to be made from cheap sheet metal, compared to what you'd expect...

The Javelin is an awesome (and very expensive) piece of kit, specifically designed for being Anti-Heavy Armour.
    NONE of the PS2 RLs are like it.
    You'd have to cross the Decimator (damage) and Annihiliator (lock on) to get something close to equaling it.
    If something like that was introduced in PS2 it should cost 750 Infantry Resources per shot and be a one shot weapon, requiring a reload for another 750 Infantry Resources. (this reduces the spam. 'cos IRL you don't spam Javelins...)

*This raises the suggestion that Rocket Launcher rounds should cost 1 Infantry Resource each time they are fired.
    Just like tank and aircraft ordnance should cost Resources each time they are fired.
    To better simulate the cost and logistics of having such firepower at your fingertips.
    • Up x 3
  20. Entarticus

The problem with making rocket launcher much higher damage (1 shot is too much) is the sheer amount of rockets flying around in a battle. One way to solve this is to, as Nova suggested, put a price on rockets (Half as much as a grenade? The prices would need testing), and also to reduce the amount of rockets carried. Another problem is that it is difficult to watch out for rockets while you are focused on firing, which is why having a separate dedicated driver who can always be on the lookout for rockets would really help tanks survive.

The adjustments to rockets would really help reduce the ridiculous amount of explosions that always happen in a battle, and separating the main gunner and driver seat in tanks would not only help their survivability against these more powerful rockets, but also help solve this 'tank zerg' issue.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.