FPS Problems= HUD

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by variablez, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Kriegson

Necro!

Is this still relevant? Gui screwing with FPS? Gonna have to test later, my specs in sig are not up to date. Got a new GPU and CPU
  2. Octiceps

Yes very much so. HUD off = instant 20-30 FPS boost and drastic reduction in freeze frames.
  3. BrutalDLX

Thought I would do a quick test to see if it was still an issue and it most definitely is.

Average FPS increase was 15-20 with HUD off. I simply ran over a bridge with HUD on and off with nothing going on around me so it's easy to duplicate.
  4. Kriegson

FFS. I made some more tweaks today and was feeling pretty good until I got into a clusterF*** biolab and it's right back down to 15 FPS. Might have to try this. Heard there may have been some overlay mods but A: They can get you banned and B:They don't work much better -_-
  5. Yuki10

improved FPS but didnt help with freeze/hitch issue.
  6. oOHansOo

Yeah, same for me, deactivating the HUD bumbs my framerate up to 200 fps, but only as long there are no other people around. As soon as i redeploy into a combat zone, the fps drop down to an all time low of 5 fps and maybe go up to 25 when nothing is moving in my field of view.
    But there is something i have noticed. I did bring up a CPU/RAM usage monitor, and the thing is: Planetside 2 isn't very heavy on the CPU, but it fills up my RAM very fast, even when i'm not yet in game per say, as in i'm still in the character screen.
    4GB RAM, and the game cranks up the usage to 98%, when there is nothing to render or calculate. Maybe the problem comes from that angle.

This are my specs:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 470
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    OPS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
  7. NewPS2gamer2015

i just started playing today and i was angry that i wasted three days downloading this (crappy country internet) i was playing at 10fps just walking around. when i got into a battle it droped to 2-1 fps and i couldnt take it, i imediatly quit and tried searching up the problem and after going through tons of forums i found this, i removed the hud and now i jumped up to 30fps in battle on medium settings. i have an ok computer and wanted to know how to make my frames go even higher.

My specs
    AMD A6 6400k duel core apu
    both cores used as cpu
    ZOTAC GTX 560 amp edition
    8gb GDDR3 ram
    and enough fans to cool down my whole room cpu stays around 40 degrees C
  8. Octiceps

You need to get a much better CPU, one which meets at least the minimum requirement. Holy jeebus what a CPU bottleneck.
  9. NewPS2gamer2015

lol i know kinda just put ittogether from old parts
  10. benruby291

For me I can't tell if I'm getting better frame-rate without the HUD. I tested both several times usual Ultra Graphics and I averaged around 40. Even when I was walking with the HUD off and the FPS showing 40, I turned the HUD back on and there was literally no change. HOWEVER I'm running SLI with my GTX755m and with the HUD it is completely unplayable. Although the frame rate shows that I'm running in higher numbers, I get stuttering that makes it feel like 10 or less FPS. Once I read on here about the HUD problems I turned it off and with SLI, I can run my game all the way maxed out (with the True Ultra settings in the config) and I still get good frame rate. Turning it back on starts the stuttering up again and I can barely tell where I am.
    So whether or not the HUD is still strictly speaking an FPS problem, it is definitely THE ONLY apparently problem with SLI setups.

At this point I still need to try disabling SLI and then seeing what sort of frame rate changes I get with the HUD, but so far turning it off really does seem to help. And so far it's the only fix that has actually changed anything at all: other FPS guides say to disable shadows or floral quality or any number of things and none of them have had a noticeable change as much as disabling the HUD has.

My system specs are:
    Intel Core i7 quad core processors
    GTX755M x2 (SLI) GPU
    8GBs of RAM
    x64-based
    Running Windows 8.1
  11. Octiceps

Yep, I've almost the same system and the improvement in FPS and stuttering with HUD off is staggering. With HUD off, the game is very playable on full Ultra. With HUD on, even Medium is barely playable at times.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Marvilopadopacus

Well, my first Planetside Forum post is going full Necro but I figured that posting here would help others in the thread that are having the issue if a solution is found rather than creating a new thread.

As with the other people in this thread I'm also having the issue where the frame-rate is way lower than it should be for my computer spec's and the game becomes very difficult to play when I'm in a large battle.

All Settings to their highest (High / Ultra) but shadows low. Changing all settings to Lowest or anything does pretty much nothing to solve the issue; frame-rates still terribad.
    1366 x 768 screen (Saving for a 4k one ;D)

Framerate hovering about the 70 mark when there are a few allies around... drops to between 10 to 25 in massive battles.

HUD OFF when just walking around with a few allies around nets me an extra 10-15 fps so goes from about 70 to 85~.

HUD OFF when in a large battle (100~players on screen, smoke everywhere, death everywhere etc.) Nets me about 40-50 fps. So I go from about 10-15 fps to 45-55 fps.

Possibly relevant is that as soon as I spawn after logging to a character (HUD shows automatically), the frame-rate is at an awful ~15fps, even if I'm on my own and there's no action. Opening the map or any other screen like platoon join and exiting makes the frame-rate go back to the normal rates like I said above, ~70 when a few people around.

Another note is that I can set the HUD to OFF in the menu so that the HUD doesn't show but icons still do (Ally Triangles apex-down, Vehicle spawners). Turning the HUD to OFF here has the same effect as turning it off with the keyboard shortcut (Default CTRL + F10)

My Computer spec's are:
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard
    i7-3930k Overclocked to 5.0GHz (H100i Watercooled)
    A single GTX-690
    2 x 8GB (16GB) Kingston Hyper-X 1866MHz RAM
    Game is installed on a 240GB Sandisk SSD

Latest Drivers for everything I can think of are installed.

I've tried messing around with settings in the BIOS (Turning Hyper-Threading Off, Speed Step or any other CPU-Power Reducing things off) but to no avail.

I can post screenies of they would help.

Hope someone can shed some light on the issue.
  13. Octiceps

The issue is this game is terribly optimized so the HUD eats your frames for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. That's why this long thread exists. SLI only makes matters worse.
    • Up x 1
  14. Marvilopadopacus

Yeah, well beside the fps indicator it always shows [CPU] unless I remove the HUD, in which case it is [GPU] half the time, so the HUD is really eating my cpu.

Anyway I've created a support ticket, hopefully I receive a response.
  15. tigerchips

Before the patch the HUD took up 10 fps.
  16. Marvilopadopacus

Hey guys,

Just figured I'd update you as to any progress with this issue, and the answer is that...there isn't any.

I emailed customer support and this was the response:

Since then I have bought a 28" 4k G-Sync screen, and the problem still remains.

The game is very much playable on my new screen with all settings but shadows on Maximum/Ultra, so long as the HUD is off. Once the HUD is on the same issue is there that I had with my tiny 720p monitor I was using before. The frame-rates as shown by the indicator at the bottom-left of the screen are pretty much the same between these 2 screens, though with this 4k one the bottleneck shows [GPU] way more often than [CPU] when HUD is off with this new screen.

The only workaround I've found, and I'm not sure if I'd even call it that, is to disable HUD from the Main Menu (not the keybind) so that indicators show above allies, allied vehicles, allied terminals and all objectives. This way you have nothing but knowledge of who is ally or enemy, and where bases are.

Doing this is way more immersive as you shoot anything that doesn't have a friendly indicator and everything isn't handed to you on a plate with the map and prompts everywhere...but unless you know your way around the continents bloody well or have teamspeak buddies to guide you you're pretty screwed.

Oh yeah and sniper scopes don't restrict your vision but there's no reticle so you have to stick a small piece of blu-tac or play-doh in the centre of your screen to know where bullets are going to fly, much like 3rd person MW2 hardcore if you ever did that.

Laters :)

Anyway that's that
    • Up x 1