FPS Problems= HUD

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by variablez, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Hatamoto

Im glad i wasnt just imagining things all these months ... and SOE, this post is now 5 pages long, Id think that warrants some sort of official reply on the issue?
  2. CaptainAmeda

I want dis fixed, I want it fixed NOAW
  3. Hatamoto

Issue still not fixed, can we have a status report?
  4. OliTF1

This post should really be a sticky!!
    N.B: I'm not trashing SOE's work and dev involvement in any way here.

It has yet to be addressed by SOE, but I can assure MOST OF YOU, if you have bad/meh FPS on a mid to high-end rig, try to compare hud ON vs OFF.

I go from a stuttering 40-50 fps with hud ON to a constant 100-110 with hud OFF!

Stop lying to yourselves and blaming your CPU, your GPU or your in-game settings... Go on, try it guys, it'll open your eyes to why your fps still sucks so much on this particular while all others all run "as expected".

PU01-02 made it worst for many mid/high-end gamers and SLI/Crossfire users. SOE has worked very hard on optimizing the maps and particle effects, yet we can now CLEARLY see now that the source of the problem IS THE HUD. Post your results here to get keep this thread on top, because you'll notice a HUGE FPS BOOST too.
  5. starlinvf

But do you understand WHY it does that? Players have known about this problem since Tech testing, and to sum it all up, its Adobe Flash + Action script. The HUD is being handed off between 2, maybe 3 different APIs, and bottlenecks itself for some unknown reason. Its become it's own sad in-joke because of flash's notoriously bad performance in general.
    • Up x 2
  6. OliTF1

OMG. I expected many different replies, but I did not know about this... You're kidding me, right? 3 APIs (including Flash!?). This is very sad indeed.

So what, does this mean the HUD will always be a problem, because post-PU, I can't play anymore, it's worst than it was. I was the player with the most time played for life's sake! PS2 is THE best game ever, hidden behind a broken HUD. And playing without it just does not work.

Ok SOE, you know what to do, right? Stop optimizing the models and what not, just make a new little HUD and we'll finally have the game of the decade. But hurry, because I'm probably not the only one leaving PS2 aside - maybe for good :(

Again, please sticky this thread; too many posts on PS2 FPS issues on the web. Smedley talked about being transparent on Reddit this week. I appreciate the thought, I do, so I think it's time to acknowledge this problem publicly guys.
    • Up x 1
  7. Digestia

Get on this. Now.

And sticky this thread, because fixing this would do more good than another PU.
    • Up x 1
  8. Jesse the Preacher

This thread has to be stickied, the difference in fps between hud on and off is like night and day.
    • Up x 1
  9. Octiceps

Seriously. Why does turning off the UI in this game instantly double FPS? Why does bringing up the ESC menu or map instantly halve FPS? How on earth do you programmers allow this to happen?

Last rhetorical question: Do you seriously expect me to make the game unplayable (turning off UI) to make it playable (much higher FPS)?!?
  10. OliTF1

Keep this thread active guys. Post your reactions to your HUD off FPS results. Lets get this thread stickied.

Get the work out on Youtube and Reddit, spread the word. The more people know, the less time they'll spend "tinkering" with graphics settings and PC components...

The source of the FPS problem is known, and SOE simply needs to 1) reply to this thread (not close it) and 2) dedicated the next OMFG/Performance Update to rebuilding a HUD from scratch. They've spent months on PU01. That's great, but imagine if all the staff concentrated on the HUD for a few weeks or even a few months: BAM! No more FPS problems!!

I do believe in the devs at SOE. They listen, they care, they love their games and they work VERY hard. Best in the business! And they have an AMAZING game with a huge 3-faction warfare, poisoned by one thing: a piece of sh*t HUD. Type FPS in Google and all you find now are PS2 threads and videos. This is getting out of hands and new players leave because of the horrible performance they get. But we can get them back.

Lots of love here SOE: I'm a BR100, have spend more than 600$ in less than a year, yet I'm very sad because I do not play anymore, and so does the 400 members of my clanmates. GET US A NEW HUD!

TLDR - compare your FPS with hud on/off, then post your results/reaction in this thread to get SOE to address this.
  11. Luperza Community Manager

The original post in this thread is from August 2013, but since y'all are bringing this issue back up, please provide details. OliTF1, no need to underline and highlight everything. We're reading your post. :p

We've done quite a bit to address how much UI has affected FPS. We're consistently working on more ways to help with performance in this regard. If you're encountering major differences with UI on verses with it off, please provide feedback in a constructive manner.
    • Up x 3
  12. Magentapanda

I cant give numbers but PRE performance updates I noticed that while I (with HUD) got only 20ish fps on medium presets but without shadows or flora. Meanwhile I could get the same (Without HUD) on the ultra default settings with shadows and flora in the same place, same fight. I only play with it to use sights. If this could be somehow helped it would be great. In addition I would say huge HUD redesign would aid this game immensely. I am only BR 50ish but the HUD is my biggest gripe with the game.
  13. OliTF1

Thanks for the quick reply. I love you guys.

If you really care to receive clear and structured feedback on the HUD/UI performance, best way to achieve this is:

1) For you guys (SOE moderators) to create an official/sticky thread entitled : "We need your feedback on FPS performance with UI on vs off";
    2) Invite people to use the default key to show the FPS and then do a quick test: HUD on vs HUD off;
    3) People will post results and the thread should remain clear ans structured;
    4) Test it for yourselves (devs) and publish your results in the sticky thread;
    5) Close the present thread, leaving a link to the new one here.

I'll be the first one to re-post my results! It's night and day, and I bet it will be for everyone else. I find it hard to believe any dev would have missed it, because it actually doubles the FPS... But who cares about that, here's our fresh start: lets get proper feedback to document this, in an official sticky thread.

Thank you SOE. Link please ;)
  14. Irathi

This is why the ticket answer que is 10 days long..

Edit: sry didn't know I was answering a post from august..

OT:
    HUD does cost fps, it always will. However I bet SOE could do more to cut down the hud cost. Preferably let users define which elements they want to be displayed on the UI.

Like all the kill information, XP gained text etc. Why not let the users define how much and where it should pop up? I know this is possible in World of Warcraft and it really helps. Some people enjoy watching those flashy numbers and others prefer to have a clean UI with as little interferance as possible.

Or the shield indicator, personally I would be happy with just a 100%-0% number as I find the animation to interfere too much with visibility.
    • Up x 1
  15. 3asyD

I can confirm with out the hud i get 20ish more fps, can't believe how much of a difference this makes. I usually get between 20/30 fps in battles but with the hud off im getting 40/50 fps just wish i could always play with the hud off with performance like thaat.
    • Up x 1
  16. Luperza Community Manager

There's no need to make another thread when there's one right here already discussing the topic.

If you are encountering issues and wish to provide feedback, here is the place to do so! ;)
  17. Hatamoto

Didnt you fix the HUD already? Good job undoing any performance gain with the last patch .. learn to swallow pride and roll back SOE
  18. Luperza Community Manager

We made some major changes that provided players with more FPS.

Someone brought this thread back up and I am requesting more information from players who are still experiencing massive FPS loss due to the UI.

So far there have been only 5 people who have responded to my request, including you. Some of you have provided constructive data. The others not so much.

I am here to help you, so please be constructive and provide me with information that will help you. :)
    • Up x 1
  19. Hatamoto

I wasnt only refering to the HUD though, one of the patches after PU1 (probably PU2) introduced some type of performance issues surfacing when theres alot of smoke and explosions on screen. As far as i know this has not been fixed yet. The nice fluent fps you managed with PU1 is simply not there anymore (for me atleast), so youl have to excuse me if im sounding irritated. It felt really good that after all these months of waiting you delivered performance, for that i congratulate you ... not sure where performance is now though tbh.
  20. 3asyD

My spec

AMD Phenom II x4 3.30ghz
    8.00gb ddr 3 ram
    560ti
    win7 64bit

I get around 30fps in big battles with the hud on but when i turn it off im getting around 50fps and its smooth as hell. also on a side note rolled back from the latest nvidia drivers(332.21) to 331.82 because the latest drivers lost me around 10fps and the sound was all over the place.

@Luperza Do you need any more information? if so ask i will tell ;)