Enough is Enough Higgles - We need the magrider buff NOW

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BeefJerky, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Crashsplash

Where did you hear that magrider can't operate on Hossin? That doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I don't listen to anyone talking about the magrider apart from igster. I'd advise you to do the same.
  2. Stride

I have to disagree. ACE pilots in a ESF are by far the hardest thing to hit in planetside.
  3. Stride

Although it is not clear I believe he is refering to Magriders from planetside being able to float on water which they cannot do in planetside 2. Hossin is a swamp/lake continent.
  4. Bindlestiff

It has momentum, accelerates like crap and only gets up to 15kph anyway? You can't compensate for those things? If it spammed as you seem to imply, all it will do is root the magrider to the same spot give or take a meter or two. The Magrider is a plenty big enough target to make 1-2 metres make NO difference.

The way some people talk on this forum about the mobility of the Magrider, you'd swear it was travelling at ESF speeds.
  5. gigastar

The Mag just needs a SlimFast diet and a Supernova velocity buff.

And maybe the Magburners need an overhaul to make them more desirable.
  6. LordMondando

Hard to tell if your for real or not, given how tribal and bias people are.

However, to detail my comments in another thread. The basic theme is the toe to toe 1v1 metric is idiotic and a lot of people apparently don't understand how to use the magrider. Funny really as agility is nearly always one of the most important attributes in combat. So its obvious advantages to cover its disadvantages really shouldn't be beyond so many people.

Hey ho, as i'm tired of writing the same **** over and over.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...-out-of-5-times-in-a-1v1.140288/#post-1957409

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...f-5-times-in-a-1v1.140288/page-5#post-1961004

Of course most of my points there relate to Mag v. Vanguard. However, given the prowler has similar problems with gun stability and accuracy of fire, they can apply more generally.

Furthermore.
    1) the mobility to move in and out of cover is your shield.
    2) Yes you have low muzzle velocity, you also have a stabilized gun.
    3) You have the ability, even in close in engagements, to maneuver as such that you always have your front (and strongest) armour facing forward). This is another major advantage

Moreover, I submit MBT's are pretty much balanced, however there is a sizable asymmetry (and the asymmetryin the game is a pill people need to learn to swallow, empires have specialities. Learn to use them, stop trying to ***** and moan so the develops sand everything down into a gray morass, so you get to keep playing role X on team A, which it originally is not suited for) in how to use all three, less between the Vanguard and Prowler, which do functioning in effect like classical armour and should be used in a pre-blitzkrieg fashion nearly all the time (don't advance beyond your infantry). Where as the magrider in effect should operate more like a more modern 'light tank' and needs to utilise its maneuverability to the full, at times placing itself beyond its infantry screen if doing so gives it move cover or puts it in a good overwatch position at its enemy's flank. I cannot stress this enough, this is in itself highly useful. But it is not a weapon designed for direct head on anti-tank engagements. Importantly, this is no major loss to the VS. If your using it like that, your using it wrong.

Anyway, my conclusion is you (and a sizable portion of VS) don't understand how to use the magrider, and try and use it like a 18th century man of war, or your doing that whole ' I is clever, I make deliberately inflammatory post, I is masta troll'.

This is an exhaustive disjunction.

Initial premises shown to be invalid. QED.
    • Up x 1
  7. Van Dax

my mag was messed up today, really frustrating.
    spawned a mag-goes off the pad bounces off an enemy light assault (wtf they don't even have collision) does a 180 spin and then a vulcan harasser gibs me...

Next time I'm fighting outside an amp station, see a some armor and decide to engage, get some good shots off then suddenly have to retreat, i turn around press shift to magburn nothing happens, I mash shift furiously and then I explode-suicide...

balanced or not this **** needs fixing.
    • Up x 1
  8. Kubor

The general theme of this thread is that most people think that the other Empire's tanks are the best.

A sure sign that tanks are pretty much balanced.
    • Up x 2
  9. BeefJerky

10. Izriul

I'm going to say this from maining a VS.

No, it does not.

That said, I can't speak for a stock magrider, as I haven't had one since release. I speak from around 12k certs in to it. It actually may be more now but I haven't counted for a long time. I have everything for it, and every single secondary.

With that also said, most of the others are speaking utter ****, especially some of the dedicated NC whiners on their typical weekly crusade.

I have a high certed Prowler, but only with HEAT. It has anchor 4, racer 3 and the vulcan/halberd. I have an okay certed Vanguard with the enforcer, racer and just rank 1 (it could possibly be 2, I haven't bothered to log in for a game update) of the shield.

The lowest certed tank I have, the vanguard is ironically, the best at killing other vehicles with. It's the easiest to use by far (Highest resistance, highest alpha damage, stupidly high velocity) and it has a very low skill cap. The worst thing about the VG is that it's a tank, and only a tank. it's boring. It also has the least drawbacks to it. It's also the only tank to 1 shot ESF's out the sky with HEAT. They can complain how "hard" it is to kill infantry, and that it's the worst tank for it, but again, more over exaggerations. It's only 0.25 seconds slower reload, and has much higher situational awareness than the magrider, and if they see any C4 planted before they can move they can pop the shield. It is however, much harder to kill infantry with than the prowler.

The prowler is by far the easiest to kill infantry with. People whine how the vulcan isn't any good against infantry, well boo hoo. The main cannons more than makes up for this, and ironically, the marauder is the best AI secondary. Nether the VG or Mag have a secondary CLOSE to what the vulcan does to air. The prowler has only one major drawback, being anchor locking you down, but there's a massive plus side to it also, so it balances it out a bit. It's the middle of the road in terms of how easy it is to use. The dual cannons make it a little (not much, people tend to waaaay over-exaggerate the recoil) harder for newer players, but competent, or even above average players would have no issue with it and the DPS more than makes up for it. I've shot more ESF's out the sky with less use on my prowler than I have with many, many hours in a mag - not including the vulcan, which just adds to the amount.

The magrider isn't hard to use, but it allows for by FAR the highest skill cap, and this tank has more downsides than the other two put together (Lowest situational awareness, lowest damage, lowest DPS, slowest, largest, lowest velocity, highest arc on projectile, low resistance (same as prowler though) lowest angle trajectory on it's main cannon, slowest to do a 360, fixed turret working both for and against it (while idiots try to bang on how it's got stabilisation (which, it DOESN'T, higby already stated, no tank does, it is actually more stable, so I guess it can be stated) it also means it's do or die. There is no fleeing and fighting at the same time, while other tanks can go full speed while shooting behind) I'm sure I could think of some more if I tried, but in reality, despite all these drawbacks, it is still a very capable MBT. It's not a brawler, and any one who loses against a mag in another MBT up close and personal - it's them, not the mag, but it does have it's niche. Strafing isn't an argument though, it strafes so slow that using the excuse that they can't hit it, ESPECIALLY with their velocity is just saying their BAD. Yes, at long range it's harder to hit, but then the magriders velocity is so slow that at long range, the other MBT can also move, and having the highest velocity hitting the largest tank, really shouldn't be an issue. It's also by far the most fun tank and I can see just why other factions are so jealous of it, but alas, that's pathetic and petty.

TLDR

No, the magrider does not need a buff, it's a very capable tank, as are all MBT's. All have their niche and all excel at something. ALL MBT's are pretty much fine, and balanced. I love my prowler more so than the mag, but that's down to using the mag for so long there's no novelty left and I just prefer the burger, but that's personal opinion, nothing more, also maybe because I can still find stuff to cert into it, unlike my mag which has it all.
    The VG is by far the most boring to me, despite being the easiest to use (maybe why it's so boring) and the best at killing other vehicles with it - Vehicles being tanks AND ESF's. As I said, I haven't used a stock mag for a long time, or even a low certed one, so if that's doing poorly, cert it up, the thing is, as with everything in this game, it should be balanced around fully certed things, and buffing it because it's not that great at low certs would make it OP with high certs.
    • Up x 3
  11. Nyscha

I lolled what the f##k is that crap? No floating on Hossin? That's like doing a downgrade from Planetside 1's Magrider which is still 100% better than the Planetside 2 one. LOL
  12. BeefJerky

Great Post +1

However, it seems that your TLDR is contradictory to your main paragraphs. In the main, your paragraph stated that the magrider has so many drawbacks. But if you think about it, it's these drawbacks that raise the skill cap. Noobs don't know how to use the mag, and die, and skilled players can only have an equal chance against a noob in a vanguard or prower.
    However in your TLDR you state that even though the mag is completely gimped - it's fine. What? Just because it's "fun" to use and die in, its Fine?

Did you see the massive difference in vehicle kills? 10%. TEN PERCENT. That's HUGE. Based on stats alone, the magrider AP needs a massive buff, and the HEAT also needs a buff, though a smaller one.
    Just because YOU do "fine" in a magrider doesn't mean it's actually balanced. You need to look at stats.
  13. SnuggX

i´m a VS player with 600+ hours
    and i hate the mag!

yes it can strafe
    yes it can climb some hills other faction mbt´s can´t

BUT

u need to turn the complete tank to look behind which is nearly impossible nowdays with lattice and "zerg-only" gameplay
    and u need to have 2 persons in a mag to be effective

prowler and vanguard are effective with only 1 person
    and with 2 persons and the right cannon --> no mag will survive in a 1 tank vs 1 tank

edit: i think i spawn a mag once a month....
  14. Izriul

I never once stated it was gimped. I said it has DRAWBACKS. There's a huge difference, so don't twist my words.

Also, I haven't bothered to check the stats, they shift and change so much it's pointless. They also never tell the full story. It's widely known that the Vanguard is the best tank buster. The prowler is IMO at least, don't know what the stats say NOW, but they did before state that it's the best at infantry. The magrider is the best at staying alive and getting places other tanks can't. One thing the magrider does allow, is to pick and choose a lot (not all) or the fights.

I stated very clearly, ALL tanks are balanced. No where does that imply that the magrider is gimped.

As for AP, I hate it on my magrider, it feels pointless to use. Might as well use HEAT and be all round - because that's what the tank excels at, being an all round tank.

Also, as far as main cannon weaponry goes, with all 3 tanks it's my experience that

AP - By far the best with the vanguard.
    HEAT - Best with the prowler.
    HE - Best with the Magrider.

Magrider + HE can be some major destruction due to it's ability to duck and dive and get in locations other tanks can't. That again, does not mean it's best at infantry. Hell, HEAT with a prowler is extremely efficient.
  15. BeefJerky

Exactly!
    +1 for telling them like it is
  16. BeefJerky

1. Alright, not gimped. Major Major Major drawbacks. Like seriously 9000 times the drawbacks of any other mbt

2. Stats show the truth. you should really read my post #1.

3. Correct, Vanguard is the best at killing tanks. Correct, prowler is the best at killing infantry. However, Higgles NERFED the magrider hillclimbing and magburner into oblivion. It no longer gets to where the other two mbts can't go either.

4. There are absoluely NO stats at all that prove or show the mag has the highest survivability. Even if it did, it would probably be because of that bullshT afterburner that makes you do a 180 and run away since you can't kill another tank even in a fair fight

5. I pick and choose fights in my other vehicles ALL the time. LOL you think strafing = having a brain?

Sooo what you're saying here is that ALL magrider main cannons SUCK major ***? Agreed!
  17. Rasp

I consider myself a pro Magrider driver and from my experiences we are gimped in 1v1 battles with other MBT. Yes we can strafe but the high projectile velocity of the other factions makes it a lot harder to dodge. Our slow projectile velocity makes fighting at distances hard as the other factions have the advantage. We do have a stable turret which is definitely a bonus but if you come up against a decent driver you will likely lose a 1v1 battle. The only way I am able to win a 1v1 is by using the Magburner to get behind them and hit their back. Without doing this you will lose the fight.

A lot of VS on Briggs prefer to use Lightnings which is unfortunately because of how weak the main guns are. There should be a buff to the Magrider to make it more combat effective against other tanks.
  18. Izriul

You can say what you want about it and have whatever opinions you wish, but don't go putting words or twisting mine to suit your argument.

1 - As I stated, many times, it has a lot of drawbacks. Doesn't mean it's gimped. It also has plus sides.

2 - Stats do not show the truth. They change drastically every game update, in fact, they change every hour. A large outfit can even effect the balance if they suddenly all start using a certain thing. Also what goes on paper hardly ever transitions into practice. Stats have always been a pointless tool to discuss balance among the public, the only people who should be utilising them are the developers, as they have much more of the picture.

3 - No, he didn't nerf it to oblivion. It was nerfed, but it was always capable of still going some places others couldn't, but the major part of the nerf was reversed. Last time I played I was on top of a roof in fact, which I could NOT get on in other tanks.

4. Actually, there was stats that showed this before the site got taken down. Higby even provided the stats at one point (another reason NOT to use stats since they were taken out of content) and I even have some old stats saved, with the VG having 1.69 Deaths per hour, prowler 1.49 deaths per hour, and the magrider with 1.24 deaths per hour. I however use my own experience of being able to keep my magrider alive for some great lengths, sometimes up to a couple hours.

5. More words twisted, where did I state anywhere that "strafing = picking and choosing fights". I didn't, and yes, the magrider has the easiest time to pick and choose it's fights due to it's capability of getting places others can't.

6 - So, by saying the mag is the best with HE, it's saying ALL it's cannons suck? Yet more twisting of words. It quite clearly states, HE is best on the magrider. It does not mean HEAT sucks on the magrider at all. HE sucks on the VG though, and not that great with the prowler. AP sucks with the magrider IN MY OPINION, but that's just it.
  19. Luighseach

Currently the Magrider is pretty close to the other tanks. Most tanks do not try to go close up toe to toe anymore anyway. Most tanks sit back and support infantry. The Magrider is perfect for this role since it is probably the hardest tank to plant C4 on since the driver is always moving. I would say that the Magriders main cannon should be buffed and have a higher Velocity.

Also the Magrider is not meant to fight at close range vs other tanks. They are should be used at medium range and always with a Secondary gunner. A good 2/2 Magrider can put some hurt on enemy armor if they play to the Magriders strengths.

Also about the challenge above. I have seen seasoned Mag pilots destroy a Vanguard that popped shields. He did it by using the Vanguards weaknesses against it. He shot and backed away until he got behind the Vanny and put everything he had into it. That being said a 2/2 Vanguard's only real weakness is Air.(Because the Ranger and Walker are barely deterents)
  20. Halon

I'd like to see increased velocities and an omniburner with a bit higher capacity/recharge. Until there is an MBT update my mag will gather dust. It just doesn't compete 1v1 at ranges where pursuing and killing is an option. For now I'll stick to harasser play, it's not handicapped by tech requirement, is cheaper, can actually escape an MBT while dodging it's shots, can chase a fleeing sunderer, and has enough speed to actually flank AND retreat.

The mags abilities are only decent when your enemies are at range, which is not always an option and was "balanced" when TR/NC velocities were buffed, whereas higher armor or higher DPS while both having faster velocities is better all around.