[Suggestion] Cross platform play PS4-PC

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by mblades, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mblades

Square enix has done this for FF14 for P33, PS4 and PC all able to play with each other yet Sony who own both ps4 and planet side 2 cannot do the same thing?

I know both FF14 and PS2 are different games But there are advantages if SOE/Sony do this. For one they would only need to release few more servers just in case of the major influx of players and the current servers now will all see player boosts or are they seriously going to do what they did for PS2 PC launch have bunch off servers for PS4 and slowly but surely merge them til they are at the same state as the PC but maybe no where near as bad of course.

I have heard that patching would be slower on PS4 which would delay PC. well it wont be a bad thing since it'll mean more time to bug test of course but if you guys can get free reign to update/hot-fix whenever you can on PS4 similar to what you do on PC I think it'll work out great.

i understand the advantages PC gamers would have but in this kind of game it wouldn't really matter to be honest due to the sheer scale. Also some people do prefer to play with a controller than mouse and keyboard.

you could give mouse and keyboard support to PS4 and controller support on PC and it kind of fixes that meaning it wont matter if you are on PS4 or PC.

Although I do understand that PS2 on PS4 wont be there just yet but when we get closer to PS2 being on PS4 I hope cross platform happens because regardless if you are PC or PS4 it'll help the game in general similar to how FF14 for like the 3rd time has helped that game.

Also I am PC gamer but I would love to play with friends who rather play on PS4 then PC. I just don't want to leave the game on PC to play on PS4 just to unlock everything again.

PS: If there is another Cross platform thread then I am sorry for making another I just couldn't find it through the search pane or its labeled something else
    • Up x 15
  2. CazadorDeLaBruja

I was upset when i found out that the PS4 players wouldnt be apart of the PC community. I hope they rethink this to some degree.
    • Up x 11
  3. Pikachu

We want this as an option. Morepeople coming to us wouldonly be good.
    • Up x 5
  4. hidden8lade

That would be a terrible idea.
    The PC gamers would rip the console players apart. Aiming is just sooo much easier on a PC that it isn't even funny
    Me and one of my friends did a experiement with this. He is a pro Halo Gamer and I am a relatively casual PC gamer. I beat him by forty kills
    TL:DR NO DON'T DO IT
    • Up x 9
  5. Archiadus

If it's on a new server that gets patched separately from the PC servers so that there's no delay for us then I wouldn't mind if there was one server where I could play with them.
    • Up x 4
  6. shadowbolt343

Agreed, PC master race would be too much for console players. We would have too much of an advantage. And I'm not trying to be funny either. It's just true. It would make the game too easy on us.
    • Up x 11
  7. RyanGUK

I'd like to see servers that are PS4-only, servers that are PC-only and servers that are a mixture of the two. Given that they wouldn't be updated as regularly due to the way the PS4 patches work (as somebody at SOE explained, can't remember who), PC gamers can still get their fix of the latest features and PS4 players won't be affected by this because they wouldn't have said updates in the first place.

If anything, it might mean they have to create a cross-platform client for the PC similar to how they've got the PTS client & the live client.

It'd be a great idea to see happen in the future though.
    • Up x 2
  8. Alarox

It would be so incredibly unfair for them, and they would probably quit or demand PS4 only servers anyway.

The only way it would be fair is if you let them use keyboard and mouse through the PS4, but then anyone without that would be at an even greater disadvantage.

The best compromise, I suppose, would be to let PS2 players choose PC servers but inform them that without keyboard and mouse they'll be disadvantaged, and then have dedicated PS4 servers.

Although, PS4 gamers would actually have one advantage over PC gamers. They have to use some kind of aim assist for PS4 players which can easily be exploited to do things like identify players they normally wouldn't notice. I remember doing that playing CoD.
    • Up x 3
  9. Chazt

as much as i like having higher population the fact of the matter we pc players would have a serious aiming advantage as a mouse is so much more precise. I also imagine integrated the two communities is probably challenging.
  10. Azarga

Would be unfair for PS4 guys to play with their inferior controls against PC players. Have some pity on them.
  11. Vivicector

Unfair... Pfff... Bring em here, I want to farm some noobish console meat! Its like having a PVE mode!

P.S. Just kidding!
    P.P.S. Or not...
  12. Predator01cz

cross platform FPS???

That will never happen.
    The gap between console peasants and PC gamers is astronomical when it comes to first person shooters.
    And it just gets bigger the faster the pace. Even though PS2 is not that fast paced, the difference would still be notable...

Get it? in PS2 where people are capable of whining about every slightest asymmetry giving the slightest advantage to somebody even if it's extremely situational? Imagine entire portion of players having a disadvantage like this. Either huge handicap would be needed or we'd have to live with constant stream of whines (which we will nevertheless)

There once was an experiment on Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears Of War....
    Given the extremely fast pace of UT3 pushing the PC/console gap to it's maximum limits, the results were quite catastrophic.

Given all that aside.
    Imagine all the performance restrictions because of their limited consoles and updates only coming when ready for both PC and PS4, as if they're not a rare occurrence already.

tl;dr LOL no
    • Up x 1
  13. CNR4806

PC players will tear console players a new one, the advantage of mouse-aiming is so enormous that it isn't even funny.

... Unless you're going to give console players auto-aim, which is another catastrophic idea.

At the end, unless SOE is planning to support mouse and keyboard control on the PS4 version, this just isn't going to work.
    • Up x 2
  14. CazadorDeLaBruja

its their fault for getting an inferior system to play on lol... even so the Planetside devs need to pick a side... either the people paying for their game and actively attempting to make it better or the loosers that cant play it properly. You think the PS4 players will take any active role in the community? i doubt any of them will ever use a mic and just randomly wander around in the dark. also it wouldn't be harder for them on controls... they just wont be able to be graced with the zero difficulty of playing halo with that "No Scope" bullhockey. Sure if SOE wants to get players into planetside via a new console im all for it... but they shouldn't forget the people that actually pay for their game.

and you should at least offer the curtsy to read a post rather then offering up a TL DR response... so lame.
  15. Dekuriga

While PC will out aim those using a controller. those with controllers will out fly/drive a PC user anyday
    • Up x 2
  16. CazadorDeLaBruja

Agreed... so its fair. Gimmi more toy soldiers to shoot at... just require they have mics... its a bit of a pet peeve of mine.
    • Up x 1
  17. mike26wazowski

I always thought the one thing that made PlayStation more unique as a console was that it had mouse/keyboard support? With that being said, if someone played on a console and connected a mouse and keyboard to fight up against people using controllers, wouldn't that be the same as cross-platform? :eek: (mind-blown)
    • Up x 1
  18. KaireFeare

Why not just have servers where only PS3 people join and server where only PC players can join and someother for the both of them. Or just add an option
    • Up x 1
  19. BobSanders123

PC play3rs hazmoar promlgskillzelite than console n00bs
  20. Mastachief

That's just plain WRONG. Dude you can already use a xbox360 controller to fly and it works pretty well but just like aiming with a gun the mouse is far far far far superior. Same goes for driving.... because in SOE rush to pander to the "iwanteverythingwithoutneedingtoworkforit" generation, the vehicles often have the driver also gunning, and even those that don't the mouse is better for the freelook.

I've encountered a TR player on miller playing with a joypad and it was laughable I had time to witness his failure before i drilled his head, his rate of turn was comical and his aim all over the place. Console FPS is all about aim assist they really should stop kidding them selves.

While i want to see PC and PS4 accounts be usable on both platforms so that station cash, items and membership are usable on all your characters, putting players on the same server is the fastest way to drive the console kiddies away.

There is of course the argument for keyboard and mouse on the ps4 but the support its really bad and the hardware limited. It's a none starter.