[Suggestion] Cross platform play PS4-PC

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by mblades, Jan 13, 2014.

1. KnightCole

Crossplatform play suggestion? Yes, make sure it doesnt happen....
  2. RobotNinja

Sounds like a great idea to me.
  3. Nepau

I think it could be interesting to have Show matches of Cross Platform play, but on a Technical (gameplay) side I do not see this happening for a FPS for general gameplay if only due the diffrences that you need between a Console and PC to play a FPS (Most console FPS has some type of auto aim on them)
  4. Memeotis

To think that cross-platforming between PC and console is a good idea, is the same as thinking that you should be able to use motorcycles in Tour de France. The motorcyclists would annihilate the cyclists, and completely destroy their enjoyment. As a motorcyclist, you would have to be a special kind of stupid to think that you are superior to the cyclists.

None of these two options is necessarily 'better' than the other, and being on a "superior" machine does not mean that it requires more skill to master.

I'm honestly dumbfounded by the PC players who lick their lips at the prospect of dominating console players, because while asymmetrical games might work, uneven games won't.
  5. lolB0b

Great analogy you found there, but

a Motorcycle requires more skill to master because it allows you to go to the limits of what is possible instead of being limited by your ability to pedal any faster. And I hate Cyclists btw :D

Same goes for Mouse and Keyboard vs Controller.
    I've played a lot of shooters on the Xbox360 and I've had a lot of fun doing it, all the while knowing that although I did very well, it could've been better.

Yet the biggest problem with console gamers isn't even the input method.
    On average they are just bad players, which is logical because they don't take their hobby as seriously as we PC gamers do.

Planetside 2 isn't a serious game and needs more players.
    I'd like to see cross-platform play. Why not allow the connection of a Mouse and Keyboard? There are PS3 games that did this!

Anyway it's never gonna happen, just my 2 cents.
  6. RobotNinja

I think it's a good idea...for us.
  7. Memeotis

1. I'll accept that, but that average is largely due to the fact that there are many more console players. What I think is interesting is how PC gamers are starting to exhibit cult-like behaviour. Only rarely do I see any console players actually try and counter the PC community's claim to the title of "Master race", because they simply do not care. Like you say yourself, the PC-gaming-community has very much been distilled over the years.

2. It's simple. People do not want to be at a disadvantage, nor do people who buy a console feel forced to play with a KBM. The only option would be for SOE to have console-only servers, and then allow PS4 players to connect to the existing PC servers, and use KBM on those servers. It would offer people an inexpensive option to play the game on high settings.
    • Up x 1
  8. iccle

This kind of thing was tried before with quake3 and dreamcast, I have fond memories of standing on the heads of console players pummeling them :rolleyes:

I cannot see any way that the ps4 can compete with PC players not just in terms of mouse and keyboard but in general processing power etc, I have yet to see any footage of a large battle on the ps4 to gauge how it affects FPS.
  9. Globguy15

First off this a horrible representation since PS2 may have controller support but it is not optimized for the game. This video actually shows SOE lack of support for people who would like to use a controller in the PC version. Then I you have a game being optimized for a console Im pretty sure that the devs would make the game controls compatible for a controller.
  10. IrishPride

And you thought the Angry Joe Army massacre was bad.. if cross platform happened all the people worried about others not returning to the game this dream WOULD come true lol
  11. Shadoiex

Hmm. Idea.
    One server PS4 only.
    One server PC only.
    Rest could be mixed?
  12. Memeotis

Flip that and it might make sense. One mixed server, rest would be single-platform servers.

SOE would lose too many potential players/customers if console players were forced to play with PC players.
  13. Spiritualised

14. Felix Weber

That's actually why its a GOOD idea. Balance it out for both sides. Yes. Aiming with a controller on PC is hard. Because PC devs never support it. On the few games that do fully optimize controllers on PC and include balanced aim assist, its easy enough to hold your own against M/KB players with a controller. Trust me. I did it for years, and managed pretty well. Assuming mouse and keyboard players will "dominate" is just elitist crap being used as an excuse. Its not true at all, in games where the devs aren't lazy.
  15. Spiritualised

Im sorry but, holding your own against a M/KB player while you play with a controller and aim assist, isnt really holding your own is it. Its you and your "enhanced" aim. I would be happy for cross platform play as long as aim assist was off for everyone.

As for assuming mouse keyboard players would dominate, being elitist crap and not true at all. It seems microsoft would beg to differ
    http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...aborted-cross-platform-online-gaming-project/
  16. Moz

So basically you are saying to make it fair they have to make it unfair. You cant have one group using auto aim and one group not in the same game... Its just stupid.

Cross platform is just not something that should happen... in any game..... ever! Why? It doesn't and will never work.
  17. Moz

Even then the cross platfrom server would be empty after a month.
  18. Regpuppy

The problem with even this method is the update validation process on PS4. They'd either have to slow the PC's patch rate or deal with all sorts of version incompatibility issues. Not to mention the PS4 players are going through PSN as a middleman.
  19. Zotamedu

It is close to impossible to balance game pad against KBM properly. If you have no aim assist KBM will kill all. If you have a good aim assist like in a casual FPS for console, then some tasks will be extremely unbalanced for console players and others will still be much better on KBM. You can turn so much faster with a KBM. So either console players get destroyed at all time, or they use auto aim to dominate other players at medium to long range and still get destroyed at short range. There is no balance there. PC players will feel powerless against the effective aimbots at longer rangers and console players will feel powerless against PC players dancing around them in close quarter combat.

Cross platform play is simply impossible in an FPS. It can work for other genres but not an FPS.
  20. Dixzon

Any time console players play against pc players in a shooter, PC players always dominate, cause a keyboard and a mouse is simply better for control than 2 sticks controlled with thumbs.