Aimbots Rampant

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Targanwolf, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halkesh

My video was just for the example (and rickroll :p) : I'm not sure if it's outdated (20 / 01 / 2014, not 2012), but it show clairly the guy is cheating.
    About your video, I agree, it's just lag.

I think it's a deaf debate... What you want to prove me ? That ALL my /report are abusive ?
    • Up x 1
  2. Klypto

I think it's a waste of time unless it's real hard evidence or extremely obvious.

I personally enjoy chatting with SOE staff, but it's still a waste of my time and theirs when I have stop and talk to a GM because a bunch of people ganged together to send /reports because I killed them.

From my perspective, they are just mad because bad.

I can only imagine the amount of irrelevant spam they get through the report system.
  3. Pardus

I don't know aim boys, but I know I've seen corpses move around and turn about a week ago.

--------

Easier security measure I can think to implement? The game already keeps track of damage. Have it time stamp the damage. Maybe range as well. As far as I know, a client transmits the general player facing and gun facing, even if hit detection is done on a hackers client.

On death, have a client look back at this data. If:
    • A weapon kills faster then theoretically possible?
    • If a killer turns more then <x> degrees per tick?
    • If more shots land then is statistically possible in given areas in a in a given time frame with a given cone of fire or bloom?
    • If transmitted location and gun aim do not conform to a gun's characteristics or how hits are actually being reported?
    Have said client question all other know clients to confirm data. I will not say auto-ban because that's too easy to setup trolling squads, but having the client auto report odd behavior could curb boting a little. Assuming SoE isn't asleep. If nothing else it should give GMs a in depth data dump to know what to look for.

If you really want to have a client data mine it's packet history? Wall clipping should also easily be detected as the client should know if it followed the same path it just saw <x> player take it would have run into a collision.

Edit: At least if you are going to start handing out auto-bans make VERY sure the server takes a moment to check it's logs to verify the data clients flag.
  4. DFDelta

Thats a old bug that exists since beta.

If you're desynced or lagging hard the moment you die your client sometimes thinks you're still alive. You can walk around in that state (other players will see you flapping around like a stranded fish) and you are completely invincible, but you usually can't damage other players (you can still shoot, but your shots deal no damage).
    Sadly the server also gets confused by that, and the floating corpse will still trigger mines and be able to capute control points.

The bug was almost extinct for several months, but with the tantrums the servers have been throwing the last few weeks/months it is happing more commonly nowadays.
  5. LodeTria

I've noticed a lot of people being able to get under the terrain on the cliffs above broken arch road, being able to shoot at anyone trying to get to the sunderer that's always put up there, from the way vehicles go. Pretty annoying getting rockets and sniper rifle rounds from below the ground.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pardus

Hm. A very much easier way to detect aim botting? Cap the number of degrees a gun may adjust it's aim per tick. No matter how steady or twitchy a players aim is. (Mh. May also give given guns better roles on a per player basis.)

That would give you a hard bracket to check a gun again. That is, even if a gun readjusts for recoil and target movement perfectly, you could statistically assert given a target's range and speed each bullet has a x% change to hit. The bullet after that y%. the bullet after that z%. Etc. So if someone starts making constant 10% change hits... five times in a row? (That would be a .001% chance) you know who to start looking at, and a offended client a solid base to report someone.

If nothing else it would make botter step that much lighter so silly 180degree double taps in under 0.01 seconds goes right out the window.
    • Up x 1
  7. Visigodo

I paid good money for my aimbots and I have a right to use them ok
  8. Klypto

Cone of Fire

Anyone can do that. It's the map designer's problem.

This type of security is already in the game.
  9. iller

1947 FYI. And Don't knock it, we're about to have a functioning Fusion Reactor prototype in just 3 more years thanks to the superconductor back-engineering that just saw major breakthroughs. We just gotta hope they took into account the dimensional differentials so it doesn't explode. As for why only certain people see them, well that's a hell of a lot simpler principle just like asking why do most people think Racism no longer exists in the USA, or don't know/care that the income of of the top 1% saw a complete 100% increase since 2000, or believe that the largest corporations "create" the most jobs, or still think that the only 2 origin choices are between evolution or creationism. ...it's all socio-economic precognitive bias.

I mean **** man, even most neckbeards are still calling Xboxes & Playstations ****ing "consoles" even though they stopped using ROMs and single-layer proprietary graphics pipelines atleast a decade ago. But it is adorable as hell though to watch them argue which is more "gamery" and then get all pissy when the glorious pc masterrace is brought up. Ironically, even the PC users fail to recognize that the other 2 platforms are also just as much a "console" as .... let's say a PowerMac for example ever was. The fact they can be "Hacked" (bringing this back to the original topic...) with a tutorial is by definition; categorizing them as overdressed emulators now.

This is why we need DEMO files streamed from the server's POV. Not to be confused with instant spectating, but rather just bitesize little vector logs roughly 10 seconds long we'd recursively capture from the death screen and watch offline
  10. Tyrant103

+1
  11. Pardus

Then it needs to be patched (or maybe unpatched? :p).

I've done some pretty narly trick shots in my time, but I'm been head shots from people popping around corners in split seconds too many time for me to just believe that. Not that it can't be done, but zeroing in on a target in under a half second from a cold start happens one too many time for me to believe there minding the store all that well.

Edit: Come to think of it, they actually had lasers in PS1. They even had a glitch where one of them would aim a little off sights. Point to point instantly hitting weapons ,hit-scan weapons, didn't have the marksmanship 1/3 of the PS2 player base has.

I call shanagons. :p
  12. Pardus

13. Klypto

You are forgetting that your interactions with everyone is not happening in real time. It's incredibly close, but everything you see everyone else do has already been done by them fractions of a second ago. It just takes a couple hundred milliseconds for your client to be updated with the information they initiate.

This is also why you get shot around corners when running away.

If you understand how this game works and use it to your advantage (and you can aim decently) you too can have seemingly hacker-like reaction times (to the average player). There's just too many ignorant people who don't want to bother to learn it.
    • Up x 2
  14. x7xBillyDaKidx7x

Maybe all my lagg and latency are from the rampant aim bots causing server instabilities. Meaning the server can't keep up with all the hackers
    • Up x 1
  15. iller

Since we're apparently still on this subject .... I can't resist posting this one :p

It really does prove that when it comes to what people can get away with in this game (b/c almost EVERYTHING is clientside)...

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

the sky is indeed the limit
    • Up x 1
  16. lawn gnome

i have seen plenty of shady business, but there is only one player that i am truly convinced is an aim botter.

one trick i have learned is to look at their stats. the dumb ones will be truly obvious, but the ones that make an effort to hide their hacks can also be readily sniffed out.

look at their shots per minute compared to their accuracy.

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428147970879737457/vehicles

look at the stats for the lightning.
    here is a solid example of a pre planned cover up. notice the shots per minute. basically this person was firing shots into the dirt non stop next to an ammo sunderer or tower to deflate stats so that they could later aim bot and not end up with a suspicious level of accuracy.

now look at the reaver stats on the same page.
    this is what the stats look like after light use. notice the SPM stays very high although not as high as it was since some time is spent going in and out of combat and the player is no longer camping on an ammo source.

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428037660468798321/vehicles
    take a look at the liberator stats.

now here is one that is in full use 809 shots per minute. this means including all travel time and breaks involved this person fires around 13 shots per second AND maintains a 29% accuracy. an average of 3 to 4 hits per second over 22 days of play. again this also takes into account all travel time, landing, reloading, general puttering around the warp gate as your group gets organized, all of it. that is what an aim bot looks like.

personally i have a 63% accuracy with my decimator, BUT i also have a low fire count (considering i have had it for more than a year) because i take my time with my shots and usually fire at targets when i am sure i can hit them. high accuracy can be an indicator of aim bots but it can also be an indicator of someone planning their attack well. what you really want to watch for is their average HITS per minute, that is what will separate the aim bots from the skilled tacticians.
    • Up x 1
  17. placeholder22

As an expert on the subject: Yes, aimbots (subtle chargeable/aimkeys with norecoil) and wallhax are pretty damn common, especially around the higher BRs. No, the "frequent updates" don't break them. Yes, PS2 is particularly bad for detecting cheaters due to the ****** server performance that makes lots of legitimate kills look funny, and the redundancy of wallhacks/ESP with spotting mechanisms. No, you can still detect them fairly easily if you just test them.

The forums of all games that have a hacking problem are full of hacking hacker apologists that claim there's barely no hacking in the game and you're all just paranoid and/or terribad.

Just deal with it - with a pump action shotgun and lag compensation. Hackers hate shotgunners that kill them before they even get a chance to use their aimbot.
    • Up x 1
  18. Paragon Exile

I'm a TSA agent, and I catch terrorists all the time. Little Rock is a den of corruption and evil that me and my brothers-in-scanners seek to dispel with holy fire. Did you know at least fifty percent of the population is composed of terrorists and radicals who would dare bring bottled water on a flight, endangering hundreds of innocents? I know this because I'm a TSA agent.

Seriously though, if you're going to say "I know things, therefore x" and reference a stat you can't possibly have, when then company who makes the game disagrees and contradicts what you say, don't expect to be taken seriously.
  19. WTSherman

Clearly that's just an insane level of skill combined with gear-popping and lag. (/sarc) ;)

Er, I'm pretty sure the "SPM" listed on that page is "score per minute", not "shots per minute". Score per minute could possibly be ridiculously inflated by membership/boosts (iirc, if you stack the maximum possible bonuses from membership/boosts and then go into an alert you can get 500 EXP from every infantry kill). Though if you were able to determine if he's a member or not, you could eliminate that possibility.

Which I guess explains why some people don't think the cert costs are too high at all: they get two certs for every infantry, four on a double EXP weekend. Or they could win an alert on a double EXP weekend and get 100,000 EXP dropped on them.

That said it does list time in-seat and shots fired, so crunching that with a calculator gives me 72.8 shots fired per minute. That's still a ludicrous amount of shooting that seems to imply little or no downtime, and possible reloading/mag size shenanigans.

Let's see... the shredder does fire at 800 RPM, but even with max mag size you can only fire 70 at that rate and then reload for 2 seconds. So basically you average 70 rounds every 2.0875 seconds in practice (0.0875 seconds to empty your magazine, 2 to reload) for an average sustained rate of fire of 33.53 RPM, less than half what that profile shows. In order to achieve that average rate of fire he'd have to reload a 70 round magazine (meaning he doesn't have reload speed) in 0.972 seconds.

If he took reload speed instead he'd fire 50 shots every 1.7625 seconds (0.0625 to empty the magazine, 1.7 to reload) for an average sustained rate of fire of 28.37 RPM.

So yeah it's physically impossible for him to have fired 2,307,435 shots in 31,680 minutes of playtime using any Liberator weapon, even if he wasn't hitting anything. Unless maybe he hot-seated into a Walker every time the Shredder started its reload, and dumped its magazine into the dirt "for no reason" (read: to suppress his accuracy stat).

Edit: wait a minute I think when I calculated the mag-emptying times I made them too fast, fixing that real quick (which will make the maximum possible sustained rate of fire even lower).
    • Up x 1
  20. AFK1

It seems like aimbotters are everywhere because of the terrible lag, hitching, and random performance drops. 90% of these people aren't actually cheating, they're just firing 4 rounds into your head - the game renders 10 seconds of combat in one frame, and the hitching ensures that you get shot behind a wall

The other 10% does exist though, but like most FPSs, the really obvious 100% headshot heroes don't usually last long without getting banned (or bored); the more prevalent issue is honestly the painfully obvious wallhacks. It's usually someone playing an SMG infiltrator who's very clearly got his ESP turned on, and doesn't even bother trying to hide it. Of course the average player doesn't even know that wallhacks exist, they think "hacker" just means automatic headshots
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.