A video response to the "NERF HACKSAW" requests.

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Dkamanus, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Arcanum

When it malfunctions it's fairly obvious(clearly impossible or inconsistent cause of death), but I don't know what I have in mind is what he means. Anyway, it's a fact that the netcode allows for weird stuff to happen with the deathscreen(most notably two infantries killing eachother at the same time, wasn't possible with infantry weapons before netcode behavior changes), but I don't know if it's relevant to this kind of testing.
  2. Goodname

They can. Up to ~20m they're the same as the TR MAX and they can still instagib with charge. Did you even read my posts? Your responses are so unfathomably worthless and uneducated.
  3. Brusilov [TR]

Why not just join NC?

Seems like a simpler solution.
  4. Arcanum

Yeah, making the game more balanced too complicated. Let's just stick to our niches and stop bothering people, everyone. Want decent infantry weapons? Play TR/VS. Want to kill MAXes and camp biolabs? Play NC. Want to fly ESFs? Play TR/VS.
    • Up x 1
  5. Goodname

I think it's just projectile time. It shows the opponent's health at the moment you died; but some bullets haven't reached their target yet.
  6. Playful Pony

And the Magrider is the only hovertank... A very unique feature I'm sure many TR and NC players would like to enjoy. This game will get progressively more bland and boring as they keep adding those kinds of "same, but diferent" weapons and vehicles into the game to make everyone happy. The trick is to balance each option to that they feel fair. Shotguns are very circumstancial, and simly will not work at any sort of distance. It is far too common to see people atempt to counter a shotgun MAX by charging at it though, so in that case I can understand why they would yell OP at it...

Personally I would like to see the cyclers made a little bit more accurate to enable a slightly longer effective range. When I play a TR MAX I feel like it packs a reasonable punch at shorter distances, but it gets too inacurate a bit too fast. I'm not sure about the VS MAX so I won't speak on it, it is the only one that I do not actually play myself.
    • Up x 1
  7. Dkamanus

The health bug happens when you get hit by multiple targets. In 1v1 situations, the health registration is accurate. Also, I made the videos with ME as the Dual Heavy Cycler so I could go against the Dual Hacksaw and see its OPness, and what I see is the total necessity of the Hacksaw user ot acquiring the Dual Extended Mag (or at least one), to be able to kill one MAX unit at 10m range, without considering engineers repairing it.

The second part of the test was to show that it is not the shotgun's damage that makes another MAX go down, but the extra cartridges the extended mags give in order to finish an opponent off. In the grinder's case the Extended Mags are less of a problem thanks to the extra 4 bullets the dual grinder brings. But it becomes an issue for a Hacksaw user, as seem in this test, and on the VS one. Both times, @ 10m, the NC Hacksaw MAX loses for the VS and TR @ 10m (both WITHOUT ANY UPGRADES, including Kinetic armour), due to not having enough bullets to shot.

It's seemd that the NC Hacksaw user died quicker for the VS @ 10m then to the TR. In any case, they thing is, what kills TR/VS MAXes @ 10m isn't the OPness of the Hacksaw or grinders, but the fact that it has those 10 extra bullets to fire at out, so he won't lose 3 seconds reloading both arms, which is a death sentence against another MAX in close range. If he charged on you and he can't kill you with the bullets he has, he's dead, simply because 3 seconds in this game is a long time, even for MAXes.

The thing is, the TR MAX also has the charge ability and he can use it to reposition himself in order to add 20m distance against the NC MAX (Remember, being at 20m seems to give the same output of damage as being at 10m). The problem is that most people don't. Don't charge away unless you see the NC MAX charging on you, if you do, you lost the advantage. I've chased TR MAXes because they used their charge too so, and I charged right behind.

I've never seen TR/VS MAXes charge away, they simply stay and decide to face me (I go right in their faces, knowing I'll take damage, but at 1m, I'm king). If they decided to charge away, or even better, charge to a better position, one which his infantry can shoot at me, I'll either die or start lumping away to save myself.

The idea of shotguns is that you are going to run out of bullets faster then the opposition, which will keep shooting at you (which happened in this controlled scenario). The problem is that the opposition isn't either shooting enough bullets (TR) or aren't hitting MORE bullets (VS, they seem almost like the TR). Would be a good buff for TR to have a higher RoF, while the VS an increment on Accuracy, so they can work better at range. And if we consider the biolab only, which is mostly a CQC oriented, then there's an advantage for the NC MAX, but if we see the Amp Station and the Techplants 1.5 floor, you'll longer corridors where the VS and TR can outrange a NC MAX.

This is more a biolab design's fault then that of the NC MAX, since spawn camping is too damn easy in this game (I do it a lot, since its cutting off their reinforcements to invade here). Meanwhile, in the biolabs pads, I don't even try to face an enemy MAX helping infantry and engineers cause he'll deal MUCH more applied damage to me then I to him.

You do know that Im headshooting the TR MAX with the shotguns as well, right? The pellets spread is hitting the TRs head as well, and so are his bullets, thanks to his CoF spread.

If you say that, you can consider TR/VS MAXes "OP" on their domain (10~20m), since they kill me easily there, specially if they are using dual mercies. Is a shotgun OP at close range? YOU would think so, but that's what a shotgun does, annihilating people at point-blank range. I see LAs running around annihilating people at close range. The problem with infiltrators was that he could easily position himself in everyones heads without recieving one single shot (meaning zero possibility of dieing).

NC MAXes, on the other hand, are bullet magnets. People complaining that NC MAXes just charge in, he's gambling, and most of the time pays off (at least for me) because I calculate the risk and see I can deal with the consequences. You know who's just beggining with the NC MAX from a vet by when he charges in and survives, or not. Most New NC MAX users don't have that feeling on when to charge in and storm some place, or when to stay behind.

That's what I found for now.

P.S.: Editing the VS vs. NC MAX video.
    • Up x 2
  8. Arcanum

It's possible to have situations where the guy who killed you(who you also just killed) has no health left. When it happens in CQC it's just more likely to be something caused by the netcode. I'm not saying lag compensation is bad or anything like that, don't get mad.
  9. Arcanum

My post was mostly in response to the slug test. I was curious to see how much health the VS MAX had. Also, you missed a lot on one of the longer range takes. Don't particularly care about the rest.

Edit: Infantry spawn camping situations look like they may be here to stay. Unless invincibility changes that, but then it's even dumber.
  10. Goodname

They can do okay damage a bit farther out but when the NC MAX crash comes, that entire base will be wiped out. Likewise, a crash from TR or VS will fail against NC. Just watch the continent map. Every day it flips to one color, with the exception of one blue bio lab. When TR and VS fight, there's never a major stall like that. It's so obvious that it's broken.

Amp stations and tech plants are terrible for all MAXes (and infantry in general). There are no corners for you to hide in, like in that video from the bio lab. You're going to eat tank and turrent shells in the face, as well as surprise rockets and bullets from a distance. Light assaults will rain C4 from the sky, with glee. You might even get nuked by aircraft. Ultimately, you're not contributing nearly as much as a vehicle would. The most useful role for a MAX is bursters; and once air is taken care of, you've already won.
  11. Dkamanus

I know that at 15m the VS stayed with 2 health bars after I unloaded a full 28 shots at him. The rest, after that missed A LOT (he's saying that in portuguese =P). At 20m, I was missing a lot, and at 30 I was missing EVERYTHING! That's why I don't like Slugs to much, the ability to apply, even a little, damage is just too good in pellets to justify (for me) the slug ammo usage.
  12. Achmed20

nevermind, you obviously lack real arguments. why else would you start insulting people allready?
  13. Purg

May be server specific. On Briggs, there's no monopoly on Bio Labs for the NC. In 'Gameplay Discussion', there's even an NC complaining that 90 of his fellow warriors got beat up by 50 TR pansies in a Bio Lab!
  14. Purg

Have you tried slugs with the Scattercannon? I had heard they suck on the Grinders which is why I haven't bothered purchasing them despite the higher ammo load.

I recorded a video this evening at Vanu Archives - not a base I've played on much so I wasn't aware of it's layout. Primarily tried to get footage of when Bursters do no damage to ESF's and don't hit Libs at a certain distance even though they render. Got footage of the first but not the second. Once VS assault with infantry, I swapped out my Bursters for my Scatters with slugs. Players like me are probably why people go nuts over the OP NC MAX and their huge range, not knowing I use slugged guns. The accuracy sucks, the RoF sucks, I think you can see where I didn't let the arms settle and I fire into the roof while looking down the stairs.

That lasher tore me a new one at the start of that vid. VS are almost invisible in some of those dark rooms. HA's rarely ever pull out their rockets even when I have my back turned to them and they fire on me first. Should have died a handful of times in this short clip.

15. Dkamanus

Yeah, the grinder is more of a CQC/suppression shotgun compared to the MUCH more accurate scattercannon. I like because in places like Biolabs, people tend to mount up in one single place in bunches. I simply go at the door, blast those 28 shots, hit people and get back in. I don't kill at a greater range, but I deal damage that helps others kill people. As a suppression weanpon, people see all those pellets flying and decide to stay in the same places, making life easier on my people.

Also, I prefer MUCH more CQC combat anyway, so grinders are a must for that =P
  16. Dkamanus

This is the NC MAX vs. VS MAX test. VS and TR seem to work quite the same for some small differences on damage, RoF, CoF, bullet spread and stuff.
    • Up x 3
  17. Purg

Fair enough. My platoon has little regard for the situational aspects of an NC AI MAX so I'm often asked to cover areas that are out in the open where shotgun pellets would just leave me defenceless. Because of this I've tailored my play to longer ranges at the expense of that insta-jibbing in your face ability unless I'm able to be accurate with largely inaccurate and slow settling slugs.
  18. Vansoth

So we can take several facts away from this test.

1. NC > all at 5 meters or less.

2. Extended mags cert provides far more benefit to NC MAX than their AI counterparts.

3. MAX effectiveness outside of 15M is drastically reduced for all three factions. NC being hit the worst while still having "slug ammo" as an option to improve their effectiveness. I still don't know how effective slug ammo is but TR/VS have no equivalent options.

4. The TTK for MAXes at 15 meters or more is longer than a a heavy assault using a LMG because of accuracy.
  19. Dkamanus

Actually it works on outsides as well, but you must know decent chokepoints in it to be effective. The Crown, for instance give us such a place in the northern part where there is a path that splits in two. I used a Dual Grinder MAX there and got 143/11 kills thanks to engineer and medic support. NC MAXes are all about chokepoints, the thing is that chokepoints favour CQC, which is a boon for the NC.

1. Infantry-wise yes, and what actually give the MAX the advantage he needs is the fact that shotguns are VERY effective in this game. Though Flanking is an easy way to destroy NC MAXes, since he can't hit flanking opponents with the same efficiency as the other two MAXes, which can defend themselves much better against target in mid range.

2. Interestingly enough, We gain MORE then 50% of magazine size increase. The huge problem with NC MAXes is that they have enough ammo to waste a target, and be able to waste more target without reloading. A possible balancing issue needed for the NC MAX is to reduce all AI weapons in 2 bullets. This would give people a better chance off fighting them in between reloads.

3. As seen in videos, VS/TR effectiveness can be counted on beyond 10m+. Remember people, MAXes aren't supposed to ONLY fight MAXes, they are lethal infantry grinders, and the VS/TR counterpart can do this effectively at a larger range, compared to the NC MAX, who needs to brawl his way in.

4. This is a fix that should be applied for the VS and TR MAXes. Make the TR MAX have a higher ROF, and add more bullets to it, while giving the VS a small damage buff (167 to 181, for instance) and an increase accuracy at range, making both better at their longer range feel, while reducing each Scattercannon's magazine bullets by 2 (5 for Scatter cannon/Hacksaw/Mattlock and 7 for Grinder) in order to make them reload more, while retaining their effective high burst in the stages we want.

During Beta, MAXes had this amount of bullets, but since shotguns weren't effective at 5m range, they added more bullets. Since then they fixed the scattercannon and so, dropping some bullets is something I'm confortable with now, making MAXes reload more, opening them more for attacks, or for them to have to flee.
  20. Glowcat

Oh I have an idea for Vanu MAXs to make their advantage unique. Let their plasma bolts travel through enemies, hitting anybody behind them as well. A lot more interesting than a simple damage buff.

EDIT: And maybe let one of their alternate AI weapons do splash damage like the Lasher.
    • Up x 1