[TOOL RELEASE] ps2ls (Planetside Tools)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gelnika, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Minsc

I was NC during the beta and loved it. But I reserved the name "Major" to become Major Major (fraom Catch-22) thinking the NC still had that title, but upon release it all changed. So I became a "TR scum" :p

Gelnika, thanks for switching it to OBJ!!
  2. Sinist

Probably a trojan built into it.

Provide the source code else thanks but no thanks.
  3. Deadity

I admit I'm a bit stupid but I haven't figured out how. I can open multiple packs but I can't see the contents of all packs at the same time.
  4. Gelnika

The link to the source code was in the first post, here it is again.

http://code.google.com/p/ps2ls/
  5. D0n

Hmm modding in an MMO is never a good thing, didn't they say they were giving tools for that to everyone?

You should work with them towards that.
  6. Deadity

Who said anything about modding?
  7. D0n

I thought the purpose of gathering all of that was to mod.
  8. Deadity

The word you are looking for is assumed.
  9. Sinist

I don't see the complete source that matches the .exe.

You also left out references to the makers of the rest of the source. You did not credit Microsoft, and the other source code providers that are littered throughout your code. Especially if you are posting it under that license.

For example you left out the rendering. The only thing I see is the source for opening the assets and saving them in .resx format. And the source for the UI none of which you made yourself the only thing unqiue being the registry lookups to find the Planetside 2 default directory.

I am not going to play detective trying to decompile the .exe you were providing but I would be wondering who Colin Baset is, and if he is a real person.

Do you have a facebook? Credentials?

I just want to keep my community clean from malicious programs from Chinese spies and foreign hacker groups who prey on the gaming community because they are gullible and download mod's, cheats, whatever onto their computers from anyone who posts a link.
  10. ajdale

Your intentions are good. However, respectfully, you're wrong.

If you actually took the time to look at the source code you would realize that resx files are auto generated by MS Visual Studio when you create a windows form. They're not the output format of the planetside 2 resources.

That statement shows me one of two things:
    1. You're not familiar with C# and windows forms
    2. You don't code, period

Both of which question your ability to make claims about the maliciousness of the program. The entire source code is there, if you're so afraid the .exe doesn't match the code provided, build the executable from source yourself.

Please stop the fear mongering. I've looked through the source code. It's harmless. It's a valuable contribution to the community and anyone who is curious.
    • Up x 2
  11. Sinist

No I'm not familiar with Windows Forms and C#.

I use C++ and for UI just old fashioned Win32.

His code is not written by him in my opinion. And yeah my intentions are good. It was well too refactored and neat to be written exclusively for PS2. Just my opinion

I have seen so many times tools and whatnot get released to a community and then everyone's account's get hacked and people wonder why. 7 times out of 10 these programs are just trojans for your computer, even though they do what they say they do.

I see where he is creating the model and reading/drawing the points from that model. I'm not doubting it does what it does, but I am still skeptical it doesn't have a more sinister intent.
  12. Gelnika

Welcome to the nature of open source projects. The last binary I released was ps2ls_1_0_1_11.exe, the 11 standing for revision 11 on the repository. If you want to check revision 11 against the binary that was released under that revision, you're welcome to do so.

Microsoft does not require you to post any projects under a limited license that are made with their free .NET Framework. I'm also confused about who you believe these "other source code providers" are that are apparently "littered" throughout it. Everything in the code base I wrote myself or was generated by Visual Studio.

The rendering code (which is not even complete) is was put in after revision 11. Also, I don't save anything out to .resx format, the .NET framework necessarily generates .resx files for the Windows forms.

Flagrantly false.

You spelt my name wrong...twice.

I do, but I'm not giving them to you. Why should I? Weirdo.

Chinese spies? Look, you want to keep the community clean of malicious programs, I get it. Based on your responses, you appear to have no familiarity with the tools I'm using to create the program. It's an incredibly simple program to understand, yet you attribute all kinds of maliciousness to it based purely on ignorance and fear.

I'm preparing to add OpenGL for the rendering of the models. Everything past revision 11 is unreleased, unfinished and in a transitory state until the next release.

You've made a lot of bold and quite frankly offensive assumptions based on literally zero demonstrable knowledge about what you're criticizing. The one I detest the most, which I'm sure you could sympathize with if you are indeed a fellow programmer, is the claim that I didn't write this myself.

Imagine you work a couple weeks on cracking the pack and model formats, release a humble tool, freely give the source away for anyone to see and use for their own purposes. Then imagine, if you will, some guy pops into your thread and makes a knee-jerk series of posts calling you a fake and a swindler by pretending to understand what your code is doing and scaring everyone off from using it. Perhaps get your ducks in a row before you start attacking people who have had the good will to release this to the community in the first place.

By the way, thank you for complimenting my code, I try to keep it neat.
    • Up x 10
  13. Sinist

They look like standard .x files to me. Or standard binary 3d mesh files that didn't require any special formatting on your part to extract that isn't already common knowledge.

How exactly did you crack anything?

Whoever wrote it does a good job but...

You have no problem posting your name as Author yet won't prove you exist? Yet you want me to download your file to my computer? So I can extract SOE intellectual property and view them as 3d models? So somebody can rip them off or use them as an art basis for other projects? Or to study maybe. I dont know and I don't care. If SOE is ok with this being posted then more power to you. But why you would post your name and then leave your credentials a mystery, especially if someone asks. Like I am trying to insult you? I just want to know you are who you say you are. If I was releasing a program I would have no problem building faith.

I just want people to be careful of what they download because there are malicious programs everywhere. Identity theft, credit card theft is a billion dollar a year criminal enterprise and it happens because people download these kind of programs and they don't ever think they aren't downloading anything malicious because it works as advertised (with a little extra virus thrown in).

Hackers target gaming communities. Sony knows all too well.

So dont get all high and mighty on me. You are noone until you prove otherwise. The world does not work on "blind faith". I don't know what little bubble of nonsense you are living in. We dont know you. And you don't know me. People earn credibility they aren't automatically granted it.
  14. Gelnika

Are you kidding me? Go ahead, throw the .DMEs into a .X viewer and tell me how that goes for you. It's a proprietary file format.

Thanks again. :)

Let me answer your question with your own words:

Moving on...

I provided the source code, there's no blind faith about it. If you don't trust it despite that then there's nothing I can do for you. No one's putting a gun to your head making you or anyone else download it.

It's clear you came into this with the presupposition that the program was malicious, which wasn't unreasonable. You requested the source code three pages into the thread (which was already listed in the original post), I re-provided them at your request. Then, failing to find anything that fit into your presupposition, you make the unreasonable request for me to give not just you, but everyone here on the board my personal information for literally no reason at all? What good would that do anyways?

I hope you realize that your accusations have no basis in reality. Please stop wasting everyone's time.
    • Up x 7
  15. Jinu

He doesn't need to prove who he is. Why does that even enter into it?

He gave the source code and the .exe.

That's like giving you a list of the ingredients in a loaf of bread and a baked loaf bread.

If you think the finished loaf of bread is poisoned or otherwise compromised, get your own mixing bowl (compiler) and own ingredients (code) to make an untampered with finished product.

As a fellow baker (programmer) you should be able to determine whether or not the yeast is actually arsenic at that point. If you can't you have 3 choices 1) take it on "blind faith" because the code is beyond your understanding, 2) have someone more proficient examine the code or 3) don't use it and move on to something else.
    • Up x 2
  16. Deadity

I love all this drama just like the next guy, but I'm more interested in having UV's with the .obj's. I have great ideas for the upcoming Player Studio and would like to be able to get the right workflow for my models.
  17. Zerulas

So what soe games currently have the player studio working anyway?
    I'd like to see what support/tools/power are actually given to the users.
  18. Gelnika

Just a quick update. I've been pretty busy at work so I haven't had as much time to work on this as I would like. Regardless, I'm making progress on the model viewer. Here's a screenshot of it in action.

[IMG]

Obviously not yet complete. I still need to add various UI features and add the ability in to export and even batch export models to various file formats. And speaking of file formats, I've started documenting the file formats. I've documented everything I know about the DME file format here on the ps2ls wiki: http://code.google.com/p/ps2ls/wiki/DME.

Another release with some semblance of a usable model browser and exporter will probably come no later than next week. :)
    • Up x 4
  19. Lord Byte

Great work! Don't let fear-mongers and spreaders of misinformation (the worst kind of people!) distract you!
    • Up x 1
  20. forkyar

not a fan.