Battle Flow System - No Tactic anymore

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheMan21, May 25, 2013.

1. SgtScum

o_O
  2. FrankManic

I have yet to see that actually happen, let alone succeed in having any impact.

Plus - Any half competent outfit blows the terminals behind them to prevent exactly this from happening.
    • Up x 1
  3. Spookydodger

If the front-lines are as stationary as people claim, then why would the terminals be blown? When I go around in bases near our front-lines, I have very rarely seen blown terminals.

And if it did happen, and have an impact, how would you know it had even happened? Suddenly there would be tanks behind you or to your sides, and you wouldn't necessarily know they came from a nearby base.

I did it even from a nearby friendly base that was not in the next path for the flow of battle, but was nearby the base we were being attacked from. We pulled armor and rolled right up the TR flank while they were busy fighting the base my squad had left behind. Worked like a charm.
  4. Boomotang

The only "strategy" I have experienced less of is hunting down groups of 1-5 people taking territory. It's still happened, just not nearly as much. And hunting them down is easier because they can't capture territory in circles.

I've still experienced being cut off. A TR push down to The Old Stockpile was cut off when the Vanu took The Pallisade.

I have still been flanked on a strategic level. While defending a push into CoraMed Labs, the Vanu have split off taking Saurva Bio Lab threatening our Northern Flank. I've flanked the enemy strategically as well. Taking Hvar Tech Plant from it's Northgate Garrison has been helped by another force coming in through the Southgagte Garrison lane.

I've experienced more variety in the form of battles in between bases. I've had more "good" fights in open land in the past few days than the past couple months. Fights that last an hour or more. Where hills are fought over. A Sunderer is set up on a flank, only to be destroyed by the enemy's counter, so we're forced to to try a different flank.

Just yesterday TR was stuck on the pass from Quartz Ridge to Hvar Northgate Garrison. It is a nasty chokepoint which can be used by the defenders if taken advantage of. A squad broke that stalemate by transporting a Sunderer from Allatum Research Lab to the Eastern entrance of Hvar Northgate. We were able to take positions in the towers and take the territory because the main Vanu force was concentrated stopping the advance through the mountain pass.

These aren't just theories. They're all situations which I have actually been a part of. There are no "what ifs" here.

These are great strategic and tactical moves "created by the players" inside of this lattice system, which really isn't that much different from the hex. It just has less connections, which makes certain strategies actually VIABLE. Before it wasn't viable to "push" your army anywhere because the enemy could "maneuver" around to undo what you had taken way too easily. You still have to manage your forces across your front lines. You just only have to split them into individual platoons instead of squads to do it.

All the lattice does is add "walls" to the hex system. That makes it more interesting, not less. Would you rather fight for spaces in an open warehouse, or one that has walls, doors, and windows? One of people's valid complaints in PS2 is some cap point rooms that are indefensible because they have too many entries. The hex had the same problem.
    • Up x 1
  5. Macchus

lol we must be playing different games then . indar is the least popular least interesting continent right now and has been for at least 2 days . battles getting stale and predictable . i mean we have massive battles , sort of , but theres only ever one on indar . it is now super easy to ***** ground in a ESF as its insanely easy to flank any ground units as they are almost always pointed the same way , and no longer pay attention to wahts behind them .. ive seen battles just as large as the ones on indar , and some even larger going on , on the two hex conts , and population still seems to be evenly spread out between three more than it ever was before the indar lattice . if anything this game is boring right now . no one empire will commit its full population to any one continent , as some people dislike the old hex system , and some dislike the lattice system . if anything it is hurting the game more than anything else .
    • Up x 1
  6. Macchus

does not have any clear majority support . if anything in game populations per continent tell a different story .
    • Up x 1
  7. r1stormrider

Whats been happening lately is the opposite of what you describe. Indar pop locked and the overflows just waiting in the esa/amer warpgate terms.
  8. Macchus

not on waterson . but keep up trying to convince everybody !! its almost believable !! a couple more posts should do it !!

as if 10 people standing in the warpgate and hot spots on both hex conts , means that indar is poplocked .... only during alerts . and sometimes not even then . people are actually staying away from indar alerts , and they are rushing to hex alerts and poplocking those like no ones business . except for VS of course , who get to enjoy overwhelming numbers on at least one cont during an alert ( and its not the alert cont , VS lucky to have 15% at an alert ..
  9. R-A-B

Total opposite of my observations.
  10. Macchus

lol its sad really all you lattice guys can fall back on now is " opposite of my observations " with no discussion as to why it is totally opposite . just a blunt statement ....
  11. Vashyo

Not on Woodman, I allways have to wait in line to get to indar, and the game automatically throws me to esamir when I log in. Alerts seem to get atleast some people off Indar though.
  12. Macchus

ok good to have someone specifically tell me what server they are experienceing these populations . i guess it varys from server to server right now . i guess waterson is hurting for pop somehow , and its equally spread out to the detriment of the game .
  13. r1stormrider

Keep it up, maybe people will believe you too? Doubt it. Esamir lattice is on the way, alot of players are eagerly waiting on it. Then soon after Amerish. Once Hossin starts coming up in the horizon we shall see what that brings! Global lattice, continent lock? Yes please!

edit: this is on sean connery server. Where we shell shea shells by the sheashide shtore...trebek.
  14. TheDrone

THE BEST SOLUTION FOR EVERYONE IS A GAME WITH BOTH SYSTEMS,
    THE LATTICE AND THE HEX.

Everyone will benefit from this.
    There will be more types of people attracted to the game, therefore more players, more payers and thus more money to pay for devs.
    There will be more content overall. The odds will be smaller for the game to turn stale. Fatigue will be lessened due to diversity.

Check out the link in my sig for more information.
  15. R-A-B

No you stated I was wrong and that global populations indicated that that people were not in favor of latice. I was stating politely that not only do I think your conclusion is wrong but it is stemmed from at best completely inadequate evidence as there is no "total pop" count outside of the continent being locked.

So when I say "from my observations" I was politely acknowledging the limit of evidence being my singular experience/lack of statistical data and the manner being a visual identification of players both from the first person and looking at the continent maps as things like how many areas have players and the rough estimates the game gives.

Frankly though your hypocrisy leads me to sum up everything simply with.

"I think your full of ****"
  16. Macchus

wow. i think the exact same thing about you .

anyway , my observations are from the same place as yours bud .
    not sure why you took it so personal you had to write out an entire thread chastising me for being a hypocrite , which i refute .
    i actually put forward that you are the hypocrite as you state in your post that you believe my conclusion is wrong , but that it stems from inadequate evidence "at best " that i have gathered as there is not total pop counter .

you then say in your next sentence that you use the same exact things i use to come to my conclusions ," statistical data and the manner being a visual identification of players both from the first person and looking at the continent maps as things like how many areas have players and the rough estimates the game gives." which i do admit you state is limited , and i do believe is as limited as what im using , but somehow you imply that you are right , but you outright state that i am wrong . so again i put forward that it is you who are the hypocrite .

as for the whole "opposite of my observations " i was saying that everytime i try and have an actual discussion i get the whole " my current insight into this game differs from yours as per the data i am observing , but ill just post a blunt statement with no actual discussion and hope the discussion ends " bit and its getting a bit tiring .
  17. Vanon

I'm all for more tactics and more strategy. Please understand that zerging implies a giant uncordinated mess of people who are given 0 direction. This is not the same as a giant battle. example

I was commanding a platoon with 4 full squads. we where defending a tower. I gave the orders "A defend point A", "B go up in the mountain and flank the enemy when it comes in", "C is in charge of AA and turrets", "D scout the hill they hide behind and take out sunderers".

I ran A and we setup various choke points with shield max's, engineer turrets, heavy's etc. B decided to tell his group to go HA and medics with an engineer, C had 4 AA max's, 2 AV MAX's on the pads and manned all the turrets, while D told me everyone what was going on, and took LA's to blow up sundies. Thats a cordinated large group, of course less then half of these guy's where from my outfit. We ended up facing waves of fighting and faced 2 full platoons for about 2 hours and was alot of fun. We got a ton of certs, where very effective, and more or less prevented Esimir from being warpgated. When we left, and decided to all take a break, we where warp gated in 10 or 15 minutes later.

What i generally hear in most Platoons that i'm in "Go to Platoon way point" or "Defend" or "charge". Thats not tacticle, however a squad in that Platoon can orginize and choose what they are going to do to defend. Example is when i took a squad of inf's, stealthed and tried to cap Mesa while everyone was fighting between points. It failed, however it did cause them to retreat and allowed us a great chance to push.

Finally i ran a squad of 5 guy's last night. We where at a tech plant, and there was a platoon of [TAS], who are probly the worst players in the game as far as strategy and tactics. The definition of Zerg Force Fail. We ran around hacking turrets, retaking sub bases and hacking terminals and spawning sundies. We ended up making a huge difference several times, including when the enemy spawned a massive armor column, and we destroyed about 80% before they left the gate with our hacked turrets before they knew what happened. In fact we where laughing as they where running to charge our base.... They all died.

Strategic is looking at the map and deciding what to attack and to know why. Tactics are setting up in the mountain's, laying traps or deciding to MAX crash. If you are in a zerg, then instead of crying about it, take command by giving logical suggestions in a non threatening, non screaming voice. You will probly get half of that squad following your suggestions. If not, leave the damn zerg.
  18. Kumaro

Lattice system.
    Directs combat and focuses it into fewer areas.
    Good traits. Bigger battles, predictable movements. More defence.
    Bad traits. Faster battles. Less activity over the map. Easier to lock areas due to restricted accessibility. Restricted strategical play.
    Size matters. Extreme Tug o War over smaller areas. Increased spawn camping.

Conclusion.
    The current form of the lattice system is bad. It needs a lot more work and testing. Indar was clearly not designed for it and the current shape the continent has turned into has not made things easier. I did not expect to be forced to ram my head towards random Zergs every 10 minutes to leave for a break and realize i have to start all over again.

Someone mention flanking and going behind the enemy to take back a base behind them.
    And i say no. What happens is this. The base behind will be active for quite some while even after the attacks people will spawn there and get new sundies as the point of battle is simply to chaotic. Same thing with flanking people are not knowingly doing it they are simply not spawning on the defence point since it is already swarming with people. keeping FPS low and death ratio at a frustratingly high toll.

This turns into a Spawn camp fest with a few moments of quick slaughter at many outposts.
    What would be needed to improve that. Would be more dug in bases and more distance between them. More space to move around on. What is needed is more tactical and strategical options to make the battles more interesting even if guided like the current stuff. And SOE reallly need to take all that empty space they got on indar now and use it for something. -w-
  19. Mormomboy

I am being completely serious. When some one tries to ghost cap we would turn it into a squad fight. Those small fights are were you prove you are actually a good player.

Oh wow you are a good zergling? You can spam bullets and rockets wow I am so impressed.

I love the hundreds of 1v1 or 2v5 battles me and my brother would get into. It was a blast.