Do we continue to support developers by continued purchases or do we let our wallets speak....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Delax, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavyne

MMORPG ----> that way

I'm different than you, when I come to play this game, I don't want the RPG element. There are hundreds of MMORPG out there, if I wanted to play a MMORPG I would be playing one (and I just happen to have SOE all access pass for the first time ever to play this game and EQ1/2 with other friends). But when I hop into Planetside 2 I thank SOE for not making me do PvE in this game. I'm here to shoot and kill people, and yes I have fun doing it. If I can play CS:S for years and years with absolutely no reason other than to kill people, if I can play BF:BC2 and BF3 for years with no reason other than to have fun, I can most definitely play this game just for fun. And yes that includes cert farming, which honestly is already more farming than you would have to do in a standard FPS game.

The farming of certs allow customization to one's characters and the vehicles they use. That's already more thinking & more option than a standard FPS game. But it doesn't go overboard like a MMORPG where I have to follow a quest on a rail system to kill 15 butterflies and collect 10 stones to gain exp.

Planetside 2 is by every definition a MMOFPS.
  2. medbot544

To me, a real MMO has much much more depth. Layers and layers of complexity/game play choices but PS2 is far from that. It's shooter with big maps and ability to host more players per battle than most. It is no WoW and thus it will just be a niche game that ends up forgotten unless something meaningful is done. If you want this game to stay as it is, fine. But please do not be suprised when there is hardly anyone to play against or with in a few months. MMOs need more than just cert farming to stay around.

We can argue about definitions all day long but I got better things to do like go play a real MMO. lol. Cu laters. ;)
  3. Rahabib

Those games have an end game in that each round you can see who "won." This game you just kill things. stats are the end game because continent locking sure as heck isn't.
  4. Vortok

The game obviously got rushed out the door because someone (or a group) with authority said "Just ship it!"

Some of the devs obviously care about the game and aren't happy it got pushed out so early. Otherwise the version number wouldn't be below 0.5 with **SHIPPING** tagged on the end. That's a dev basically saying "Sorry, our hands were tied" to the playerbase.

The question is whether or not the person/people that pushed it out the door are going to allow the devs to continue developing now that some revenue is coming in, or if the game will be more or less left to die.

So the developers know the game is unfinished and they'd like to finish it + continue developing it. If you think they'll do a good job and take the game in a direction that you'll enjoy/already enjoy it's better to support them now than later. If it's not fun/getting worse for you, then by all means hold off. Withholding support until it's developed to your personal satisfaction likely won't make those guys that had the power to push it out the door (and thus also kill it entirely) think "oh boy, we're not getting as much revenue as we thought. We better give those developers more time and resources to work on the game!" They'll probably just see a weak bottom line and take resources away from the game until it slowly dies. The actual state of game balance will likely have next to no impact on their decision.
  5. Rahabib

sorry, I cant support an unfinished project. If it was unfinished, they need to finish it before they see money.
  6. ArcaneGuardian

Call an elephant a cat all you want, it still doesn't make it one, bud.

MMO, by very definition, is Massively Multiplayer Online. PS2 fits all three of those categories, therefore, it qualifies. It's no more black and white than that.
  7. Esxraptor

Define "account wide unlocks" ? If you mean unlocking a feature on one character unlocks on all your characters.... it will/should be a cold day in hell

Been playing a much larger F2P MMO than this game for over 18 months now and can tell you that "Paid or one time only" server transfers cause more trouble than it's worth.

Better balance ? Again it's a ongoing program. The other game that I play has a rolling monthly update. It's dying from "power creep"
  8. Rahabib

• they are already working on account wide unlocks. No specifics but if you have two TR guys and bought a gun it needs to be available to both. again, it must be frigid in hell cause they are working on it.
    • server transfers also are coming. just waiting to get more details.
    • balance - thats the issue. they are working on it but they still have a ways to go before its close enough to warrant a long term success.
    I am not saying they aren't listening, but I wont spend a dime until they get the game more "finished."
  9. Schenck

The game is good as a skirmish shooter at the moment. And I've given some bucks and bought some items for the fun I've had with it so far. But to seriously rob me of my disposable income, it's got to get much better at the strategic gameplay. But I see it as our best bet so far of all the other options out there.
  10. Esxraptor

It's the pure beauty of F2P. No one on earth is making you or asking you to support it. Go elsewhere. Come back and take a peak now and then.

Decide

Or... play for nothing .
  11. Morpholine

Gear farming is so 1995.
  12. Rahabib

thanks!
  13. Exaar

I have spent about 40 bucks so far and will continue to spend in small amounts here and there. Ive already put more hours into this game than many games I have spent 60 on, so it already well worth the money and more, and my hope is if I and others like me continue to support it, it will continue to improve.
  14. ent|ty

[quote="Delax, post: 850734, member: 107152"]Do we continue to support developers by continued purchases or do we let our wallets speak at our dislike for the current state of the game?[/quote]
    The only thing developers and corporations listen to is the bottom dollar. Unfortunately, now you have responses from many players who think it's okay to support a game that is not complete, nor optimized to make use of the powerful GPUs and multi-cores out there.

Many players are supporting developers who release their game/software with the attitude "Oh well, we can fix it later with patches". This is unacceptable. When i purchase a product, I expect it to be the best they can expect it to be, and near the vision for which they had for it. Anything else is a ripoff "Oh its an MMO, or monthly pay to play" is just an excuse for "Buy this unfinished product, then pay us to actually finish it"

This is why I love Valve. Though no multiplayer game is perfect, they release their games with very good quality and I have never complained about their games out of the box, or even the mods created from them. You start with a quality product, and even the mods are quality.

Sony could learn a thing or to from Valve.

I consider this Free2Play feature of PlanetSide 2 to simply be a public beta, letting paying and potential customers beta-test it for them, and that in its own right, is form of payment. Services rendered, payment made.
  15. Imnuktam

I think they are doing a pretty good job of addressing the players concerns so far.

I was on the rope about spending any more myself just recently.

When they announced they were breaking the AA/AV launchers and making them all only fireable after locking on I was done. I have a toon on all 3 empires so I have bought AV x3 and AA x 2, that is 5 weapons that would be useless. I honestly would have never spent another single penny if they had implemented that.

As it is now it seems they listened to everyone and realised what a big deal it was to their customers and I will buy probably 50$ of sc on x3 day when it rolls around.

I always spend money and support a game if I enjoy it, and while I do not enjoy this as much as ps1 yet im throwing some cash in there in hopes it can get closer.
  16. Esxraptor

I was trying to generalise and not be person specific. :)

If you could link me to the source of your info for account wide unlocks and server transfers I will apologise unreseveredly.

The descicion, IMO, to allow players to have different faction characters on the same server was unwise. It just encourages the "fourth faction" ie battle going bad? switch sides and reap the award or TK as many of the scum as possible before switching back. Like I said ... bad decision IMO.

On a side question.... why ever do you want multiple accounts/characters of the same faction ?
  17. Saval

I love this game; it's very fun. As long as I'm having fun, I will continue to support it.
  18. Forumguy2

Simple fixes, so easy a caveman could do it! :p

1. Change the way continents are capped (territory around warpgate see recent threads)

2. Merge servers

3. Stop lying to people

4. Add more incentive to play on low pop

Hard Fixes, for einstein!

1. Fix sundy bugs, people stop playing permanantly to crap like desync , not even joking lol

2. Add naval combat

3. Increase draw distance of infantry

4. Make some new weapon models, holy ****

5. optomize the game
  19. ArcaneGuardian

Example?
  20. Dr. Allcome

I let my wallet speak. I bought 5000SC so far and I won't purchase any more until there is a way to recert.

I paid 700SC (~7 Euro) for a totally useless G2A missile launcher which was nerfed even more with the last update. So no, I won't make that mistake again until SOE gives us a way to reset our certs/sc and spend them on something else - free of charge (!). They can put a timelock on it if they want, so people don't recert every day but as long as there is no way of returning totally useless items, I won't spend any more money. The items are already overpriced as-is but if they are not even fit for the advertised purpose, it feels like a total rip off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.