Simple physics for why 0.75 ADS is not OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Yuukikun, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Hatesphere

its never as cut and dry as relativity, since you can never know what direction someone is going to dodge, as well as a player with higher mobility that engages can dictate the flow of a fight a bit more then one without. not saying its a huge advantage, but again its not that cut and dry.

would you think it was fair if one faction had a weapon that hypothetically gave them 2x ads speed while you only had .75? that that means that that person can dictate the engagement far more effectively then you even though you are still moving the same relative speeds to each other. think about it, you are completely removing the most important thing in the equation, human reaction times.
    • Up x 1
  2. Yuukikun

This is completely irrelevent to the thread. Both 0.5 and 0.75 have no deceleration time, but there is a small delay when changing direction using arrows already (not using the mouse though).
  3. Villanuk

Of all the things that need to be addressed in this game ADS.75 is way down the list and it hardly makes something OP and how long has it been like this, its just not worth the time for the devs.
    • Up x 4
  4. Yuukikun

There is no point in arguing with you if you can't even accept basic physics facts...
  5. Pineapple Pizza!

I dunno what's up with the unfunny troll.
  6. gibstorm

Your wrong

2 players are moving to the the right. Then both shift to the left at the same time. One player is moving 5 times as fast.

Assuming the shooter has equal skill for both targets

Which player will stop getting hit by bullets first??? The player that is moving faster his speed will take him out of the stream of fire faster.

Which player will take longer to re target?? The player that is moving 5 times as fast because he has moving farther and it takes longer to get to him.

That is the advantage you get with faster speed
    • Up x 3
  7. Devrailis

Thank Higby, a lone voice of reason.

There's plenty in the game that needs addressing. The resources system, base mechanics, vehicle objectives, all are more important than this. Bean counting minor gun mechanics should not even be on the list.
    • Up x 1
  8. Yuukikun

Again, changing directions changes the vector immediately to give the result immediately which is the same for both players which means the random change of direction is as good for both the 0.5 and 0.75. The point you are raising is too exaggerated because then the 2x speed would obviously make people able to catch up to someone running away while in ADS, and don't even try to tell me you can't outrun someone while you are pressing shift and they are ADS.
  9. Villanuk

^^^^ agreed Dev, sorry cant quote..
  10. Yuukikun

Using an extrapolation where the player's speed is so high that he could litteraly dodge a bullet by changing direction is completely irrelevent case of the Orion is CQC to medium range at best where bullets are litteraly hitscan except for the crossbow and the lasher, which is a VS weapon so you will never see a lasher fighting a VS HA anyways.
    The second part of your comment is also blatant misunderstanding of basic vectors and physics again though.
  11. gibstorm

/yawn

Your "lesson" total ignores the human reaction time to get your target back into the bullet stream. This is where the advantage of being faster comes from. You can control yours better then your enemies cause you know it's going to happen

You only need to get one bullet difference to get a win. If everything else is equal
    • Up x 2
  12. Yuukikun

You are completely right Dev and that's exactly why i made this thread (it's a PSA after all) to educate people on basic physics so they can finally learn and stop whining about something that has never been a problem
  13. Hatesphere

so you can react instantly to a target changing direction with no ill effect? I highly doubt it. you might think you are a master of basic physics but you really arent when it comes to how physics relates to player reactions in a game. again not that the difference in speed is enough to cause much of an issue, but you are truly oversimplifying the issue.
    • Up x 1
  14. gibstorm

I know, i hope this thread is a joke
    • Up x 1
  15. Alarox

Two problems:.

1.) The 0.75x user has more control.

The 0.75x user is in control of the 0.75x movement while the 0.5x user is on control of the 0.5x movement.

If we're both strafing at 0.5x or 0.75x movement speed then we are both on the same level. If one person is strafing at a higher speed than another, then they have more control over the variation each player must account for. If the person with a lower strafe speed changes direction it has less of an impact on both players than when the person with a higher strafe speed changes direction.

2.) Adjusting to a faster moving target is more difficult than adjusting to a slower one.

Strafing is instantaneous. If your target is strafing to the left and suddenly strafes to the right it is impossible to keep your aim 100% on target. Essentially, you warp in the opposite direction. The faster you strafe, the more you warp, and the harder it is for your opponent to adjust.
    • Up x 2
  16. Juunro

.75 ADS is op 'cause I get killed by VS heavies.

No, but really, the problem is that the VS get their CQC LMG as their default while the TR and the NC have to spend certs on it. A starter VS has an edge on a starter heavy from either other faction due to the weapon being better suited for the combat ranges HA's generally play in. Give the GD-22 to the NC as the starter, make the Gauss SAW the 250 cert gun, give the MSW-R to the TR as the starter, give them the Carv for 100 certs, and you've largely fixed the problem with LMG's, and nobody gets nerfed.
  17. Yuukikun

You're saying that if someone keeps doing ADAD and the other doesn't move, the only one who has to move his mouse is the guy staying in place?
  18. Yuukikun

1) Which are added together anyways so it's going to be either 0.25 for both, or 1.25 for both.

2) See point one.
  19. gibstorm

The both have to move their mouse.......BUT and this what you are missing. If I am the guy moving. I know when I am going to change direction and can get ready for it and make my correction the second I change direction.

The other guy has to see the change. Process it and then start making his change.

The more speed you have the more advantage you gain during this correction. This is why they guy moving will always wreck a guy standing still if they are equally skilled.
  20. FateJH

"Spatial," or "special" since the follow-up word is "relativity." (Sorry. I really did start wanting to get through the first paragraph without saying anything about it ...)

If I may. I don't care about 0.75 ADs speeds or what nonsense this forum seems to harp itself on half the time but, based on how I've read these sorts of threads, people seem to be flagging how movement speed interacts with the movement packet processing and compensation code, leading occasionally to non-linear or unexpected disjoint player character behavior. Movement is typically fluid on one's own client; through the eyes of another person's client, it's a crap shoot as to what you get. We all have our anecdotes to speak to about that. The fact that we have code for compensation is disenchanting enough.

A secondary point seems to come across. Presuming the unspoken subject, an HA already possesses a significant direct defensive option whose downside is the deterioration of movement speed. Providing them with an LMG that mitigates the aforesaid defensive option's downside during a mode that provides the best accuracy of his weapon (at least, providing the rebuff without requiring any investment) is observed as a disproportionate benefit. That is the crux of that argument.

A third point I occasionally see touted is an attempt to assign purpose between weaponry and benefits, e.g., in this case, that 0.75 ADS speed is indicative of a CQC LMG. Whatever that is. The complaint, in this case, is that the movement speed is applied to what should be intended as the generalist weapon; or, is applied to a weapon that excels beyond the association they have established for "CQC weapon." This one is a tenuous argument, in my opinion, because it is based on fabricating defintions and associations on the fly.

Your method of talking down to peers is counterintuitive to getting a point thoroughly digested by your readers, though you may get replies still. That is my impression of the tone you set.
    • Up x 1