What did you name your monk and why?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Jay42, Feb 25, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Paraxis Guest

Flowin Water
    Named after the "Staff of Flowing Waters"
  2. ARCHIVED-ScoobRock Guest

Saberclaw (formerly of Antonia, transfered to Neriak, rerolled onto Guk).

Good name for a Kerra Monk I guess.
  3. ARCHIVED-Uccello Guest

Terragon is a real world spice....

anyhow, i named my Character Silk, because i like short names, and it worked well. Plus, a big ***** barbarian with the name of silk just seemed a little outta place =)
  4. ARCHIVED-Vision X Guest

Rydik is my half-elf monks name, currently lvl 24. I did have a Crusader named Riddick but somehow after I deleted it and tried to reroll as a monk it wouldnt let the name filter take it again.. weird but I just changed the name of the spelling and it still looks/sounds the same to me.. maybe even a lil bit better imo.

I got the name from Chronicles of Riddick and PItch Black move. The character Vin Deisel (sp?) played portrayed as silent, sleek, fast, and deadly... and can see in the dark hence Half elves get infravision which ables them to see heat signatures in the dark. After I caught sight of the monk animations I figured it was a perfect name for him! :smileyvery-happy:

Thought about going with Rydik Steelbrow or something along the line of Steelsomething but I cant figure out how to get a surname atm sooooo Rydik will be just fine till then.

-Rydik
  5. ARCHIVED-Aija Guest

Did they really let you put that apostrophe in your first name? I know you can't in surnames (/surname I'm pretty sure is the command) but never tried it with a first name. Also, any ideas for a surname for me? I'm also a fan of shaolin beliefs (and I must confess I own the first two seasons of Kung Fu on DVD). LOL *blush*
  6. ARCHIVED-Sortis Guest

My monk in EQ was named Kyoshin Tetsuya....no I dont remember why but Master Tetsuya had a nice ring to it ;)...but my half elf monk in EQ2 is named Sortis....i'm thinking about rerolling cause of the name....I just name all of my characters Sortis in every game..so I thought...yeah....anyway yeah I think Kyoshin is making a comeback :p
  7. ARCHIVED-Buttonweed Guest

Punkmonk

Well she is a half elf, covered in piercings with spikey hair! Hmmm an anarchist monk... kinda works for me :)
  8. ARCHIVED-Crunion Guest

Named my gnome monk : Choo

Picked that name because his King-choo is strong
  9. ARCHIVED-tigressb Guest

Bajia Kalih

Bajia was just random generated, thought it was a cool name for a half elf with piercings hehe
    Kali (minus the h) is a Phillipine martial art style that focuses in stick fighting. It's also a Indian diety, so I had to flubb the spelling a tad.

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/pplayer.vm?characterId=203994201
    Befallen
    Co-leader of the Knights of Ni
  10. ARCHIVED-Solaera_EQ2 Guest

My monk's name is Seva (pronounced see-vuh). More or less I just like the sound of the name.

I have't decided on a surname yet, although I've stuggled for 24 levels to come up with one! From an RP perspective I'm kind of torn because, on one hand, I'm a high elf and live in that world of castles, elegance, and other things that are associated with high elves, but, on the other hand, I'm also a monk and a fighter with separate traditions from my race.

One idea I've thought about for a surname is "Wuxia". It's basically a label for the genre of Chinese fiction and movies where the mythical kung fu heroes have super powers and fly around and whatnot. Many popular movies like Jet Li's "Hero" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" are considered Wuxia. The term itself is also a combination of "Wu" meaning war or martial arts and "Xia" meaning chivalry. Maybe I'll just go with that =) Any thoughts?

And I've given it some thought for Taka. I wasn't sure which way to go since samurai stuff is Japanese and Shaolin is Chinise. For what it's worth, here are a couple options that I thought sounded good together:

Taka Fai (Taka the Quick, chinese)
    Taka Renzuki (continual attack, japanese)

P.S. If you use one, I'll need you to make me a cool signature pic in payment! ;)
  11. ARCHIVED-Neimhidh Guest

Badbh (pronounced Bav) Mhorrigan.

Badbh and Mhorrigan are aspects of the Irish Goddess of war. The Irish war Goddess was a triple aspect Goddess, like the three fate of Greek mythology.

Badbh was sometimes used as the collective name for the three aspects of Macha, Nemhain, and Mhorrigan.
    Mhorrigan was sometimes used as the collective name for the three aspects of Macha, Nemhain, and Badbh.

Azathoth Nyarlathotep.

Azathoth was first written about by H.P. Lovecraft. The biggest God from the Cthulhu mythos.

That last amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity - the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes." — H. P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

Seemed like an excellent name for a righteous Paladin :smileyvery-happy:

Nyarlathoep is one of the outer gods from the Cthulhu mythos. He is the servant of Azathoth.

What his fate would be, he did not know; but he felt that he was held for the coming of that frightful soul and messenger of infinity's Other Gods, the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep." -- H.P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

Neimhidh (pronounced Nevy) was an old king of ireland. I read somewhere that the name can be translated to either celestial, or venemous/spiteful, shrug..

If I ever level him past 20, his surname is Draiocht (pronounced dreeuckt), Irish for magic.
    Message Edited by Neimhidh on 02-28-2005 01:42 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Sorry, no, I only use the apostrophe in mediums that will accept it. I like "Shi'dai" b/c the apostrophe implies the desired pronunciation (SHEE-Dye), but no...not possible to use in-game. Which still irks me, b/c NPCs have apostrophe'd and hyphenated names!!
    Anyway, great stories on the names, some interesting stuff here. I toyed with the idea of something like Wu Tang or Tai Chi (my friend suggested Lo Mein, General Tso, etc) but I'm glad I went with Shidai. No one else will get it, but I like that his name is an actual Shaolin term has a working translation.
  13. ARCHIVED-GangsterFist Guest

Here go some more basic kung fu terms in chinese (cantonese)

pak - slap, to slap

sao - hand or strike

kuen - boxing

girk - foot, or kick

biu (pronouned like beeyou but put it all together) - darting

chi - to stick

chum - to sink

bik bo - pressurizing stance

taan - to disperse

chin na - to trap and seize

da - to hit
  14. ARCHIVED-sglanton Guest

Xxooo Oooxx

I wanted an alt to go with my predator Aaaa, but Zzzz was taken as was Xxxx.
    I had thought of Xoxo, but decided that wouldnt work, so I just went with Xxooo.
  15. ARCHIVED-D`Janico Guest

D`Janico Guana`Juma

its my birthplace.. i was born in the town of Janico, located in the valley of Guanajuma, in the Dominican Republic...

The name itself is Taino Indian, thus my char is indian, dark in color .
  16. ARCHIVED-Mystique Guest

I named my monk Akasha because I've always thought it to be a beautiful word and concept since studying different religions in high school. It has nothing to do with any Anne Rice characters :smileytongue:.
    It is a Sandskrit word and is thousands of years old. There are many definitions of it, I don't like to paraphrase it, but here's a good site for information about it.
  17. ARCHIVED-Birdrunner Guest

I named my Kejaann because it's the name of the Kerra savior.
  18. ARCHIVED-Uanelven Guest

Makalu (although only a brawler atm) after this mountain:

Makalu
    Message Edited by Uanelven on 03-01-2005 04:47 AM
  19. ARCHIVED-CatmanPaladin Guest

Ringo, because that's what Sam Jackson calls the dude in the resturant while they are sitting there and he is "paying for his life".

"But that sh** ain't the truth. The Truth is you're the weak and I am the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepard."

Great movie, great line, great name.
  20. ARCHIVED-GangsterFist Guest

The funny thing is my monk's original name Was Fong (going to be Fong Sai Yuk) b/c the name filter would not allow me to have the name Wong. I petitioned to change it to Wong, however Feihung is an invalid surname and they will not change it for me. GMs really don't do much in this game :( One GM told me they cannot even change names, which I know is a lie, since I already got my name changed. The name filter really needs some work. I can already state tons of inappropriate names on my server that the filter lets through, but it doesn't let fei hung go through probably b/c it has the word hung in it.